Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New 086 or 087 number?

• 02-06-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

How do I get a new 086 number - do Three issue them? Also are 087 still Vodafone only? Need to get new prepay number as cheap/ easy as possible and prefer 087 or 086 prefix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Vodafone is 087 so if you get a new number with them, it will be an 087 number. Dont think you can get an 086 number anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Thanks a lot, Vodafone it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sugarman wrote: »
    Why do you care so much about the prefix? Vodafone are the most expensive of the lot if youre looking for something cheap.

Probably wants phone number to look more professional. The 089 and 083 have a bang of burner phone attached to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

If you ring your local shop three possibly might give you one. Worth a try.

Probably wants phone number to look more professional. The 089 and 083 have a bang of burner phone attached to them.

That’s it exactly, sorry probably not a good reason- I’ll likely port it into a cheaper contract either way

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Why do you care so much about the prefix? Vodafone are the most expensive of the lot if youre looking for something cheap.

They’re the only one with coverage that isn’t dirt, though that isn’t the reason here.

They’re the only one with coverage that isn’t dirt, though that isn’t the reason here.

I’ve been with them for years and the service is good but I’ve heard that Three and the likes of Virgin who use Three are good too

Re the prefix I think it’s fair to say that almost all of the work contacts I have are 086/087 so suppose I don’t want my number to stand out - I will be using it for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Casati wrote: »
    I’ve been with them for years and the service is good but I’ve heard that Three and the likes of Virgin who use Three are good too

Re the prefix I think it’s fair to say that almost all of the work contacts I have are 086/087 so suppose I don’t want my number to stand out - I will be using it for work

Just get a pay as you go sim and then transfer the number to what network suits whether its pay as you go or contract.

Again Three may provide you with an 086 sim if you ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Postmobile will also issue an 087 prefix and use the Vodafone network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

As others have said 087 is Vodafone or Postphone. 086 is only issued to Business customers on Three and you won't get one on a prepaid new connection with Three. +1 on the 087 or 086 prefix. They look more professional than 083 or 089 and even 085. They were always the burner "chips"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's a fair point, number snobbery does exist. If you are getting something printed or displayed online etc, I'd go with one of the legacy numbers.

088 so? :P

Got my 087 number for a tenner from Vodafone so happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pierregm

Apols for digging up an old thread but I'm actually in a very similar position.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on this? I read that Three have been issuing 086 numbers to new customers, but just wondering how best to go about securing one.

TIA

Advertisement