Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

• 09-07-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of the ENIGMA operating system on ST7162 Based Satellite & Terrestrial Combo Receivers

The boxes covered would be the
    Amiko Alien2
    SAB Unix Tripple
    GM Triplex

Enigma is a Linux based alternative to the default Spark operating system on these boxes. Enigma is a more customisable OS and provides the ability to add plugins which can accomplish many tasks enabling users to have a box which might look and perform like a Sky box, giving a 7 day EPG and an alternative to series link

A detailed FAQ type post with most installation instructions is below in Post 2

**** Please note : the discussion of card sharing is prohibited in this thread and any such discussion may attract a ban from the moderator ****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

Image installation procedure - the safe, simple and 100% foolproof way :)

1. Download the E2 Plugins from the following link http://goo.gl/bcSWub. Take the whole folder and copy it to the root of any USB stick
    2. Boot the box into the default Spark operating system. If your box is in Enigma already, turn it off, hold in the OK button on the box and keep it pressed, turn on the box and release the OK when you see the FORC message on the box. Press the Up arrow on the box which will then say SPAR and then press OK
    3. Insert the stick into the box. The system will see the stick being installed and prompt for the installation of the plugins - say "Yes"
    4. Download and copy the pre-prepared image of your choice to a USB stick. You can copy any number of images to the same stick, putting each in it's own separate directory on the stick. An image contains two files - uImage and e2jffs2.img
    5. Press Menu, Press Down and Right to plugins. Select the e2upgrade plugin from the list. On screen, you then will see a box with /c/storage in black writing in a yellow bar across the centre of the screen. Click OK to navigate to the folder you want, press Red to select and press Red to Upgrade
    6. Upon completion, turn off the box. Press and hold the OK button, Turn ON the box and wait until you see the front panel say FORC. At this point, release the OK button. Press the DOWN arrow button on the box and it will display ENIG. Press and Release the OK button.
    7. The box will now reboot into Enigma

Images found in the
    Amiko Alien2 - Enigma2 Firmware Thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056882713

Useful Tips

CrossEPG

This is the one utility that causes the most problems for your box.
    1. Check that it is only set to download one of the two OpenTV sources from either 28.2.or 28.4. Do NOT select both.
    2. Ideally, it should be set to save to your external hard disk.
    3. The database can get huge. Consider adding a crontab job to delete your complete /media/crossepg directory every week. The database is constantly being added to. Yesterdays, Last Weeks, Last Months EPG data remains in the database and is never automatically purged - so delete it regularly.
    4. If you deleted it weekly, I believe you can sucessfully save to the internal memory.

AutoVolumeAdjustment Plugin
    This is a really handy utility. There is a big difference between the sound levels of SD and HD channels. The idea is to automatically increase the volume level for HD channels when one is selected. However, volume will never go beyond 100%. So the idea is to set the box volume to about 40% and set the autoadjust to over 50% with the hope being that a 40% SD volume will be more or less equal to the 100% volume level of HD

Modifying Bouquets
    You can use utilities like DreamboxEdit but it's very easy to edit the bouquets in the box itself. When watching a channel, press OK to bring up the current channel list. At this point, press MENU. In here you can remove stations, set a default startup station, and move stations around.

Looking for SeriesLink ?
    On this box you have AutoTimer. From the EPG, press the Green button for a single once off timer event, or press and hold the Green button for AutoTimer. The plugin is designed to automatically scan the EPG for a particular program on a particular channel between a particular timespan. It will continue to scsn, week after week, until it's removed. All programmes will be saved to the attached Hard Disk.

Huge resource thanks to Zardoz

Alien 2 File Resource

Installing IPK files
    If you need to install IPK files, there are two methods.

1. Copy the IPK to maybe the /TMP directory on the box, using Filezilla or some other FTP program. Telnet to the box using PUTTY or some other telnet client and type

sudo su
    cd /tmp
    ipkg install xxxxxxxx.ipk

2. If this does not install this way, the alternative way is to use 7zip to extract it to a DATA.TAR file and from there extract this file which will give a nested structure of files within folders, which will match the folder structure on your box. The files can then be FTP'd across to the box. The only thing to be aware of here is the possibility of certain permissions needing to be set on some files.

Taking a Backup of your Enigma system

Boot into Spark and go into the e2upgrade plugin and follow the instructions for the instsllation of a new image at the top of this post with the exception that, in step 5, you press the Green button to take a backup rather than Red to upgrade. If the Green button option does not exist, then you need to install the plugin specifically listed in step 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ALIEN 2 /Golden Media Triplex File Resource

I have uploaded alot of useful plugins,files,and useful software like Dreambox Edit and Dreambox Control Centre to a dropbox account.
    I will keep this updated so people will be able to access latest plugins and files in one area and wont need to trawl the internet for files .
    Hopefully it will be a decent resource .

Alien 2 File Resource

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

big thanks to the lads for getting a new thread going, last one turned into a disaster, i am still running champs arp and i get no trouble at all but the cool tv guide is telling me a new version is available, i have downloaded the most recent one from their website but need some help getting it to the box please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

how.gareth wrote: »
    big thanks to the lads for getting a new thread going, last one turned into a disaster, i am still running champs arp and i get no trouble at all but the cool tv guide is telling me a new version is available, i have downloaded the most recent one from their website but need some help getting it to the box please?
    Im not using ARP
    but just looking at the cool tv website it appears to be an IPK
    which may be installed using the instructions in Champs's post above

Installing IPK files
    If you need to install IPK files, there are two methods.

1. Copy the IPK to maybe the /TMP directory on the box, using Filezilla or some other FTP program. Telnet to the box using PUTTY or some other telnet client and type

sudo su
    cd /tmp
    ipkg install xxxxxxxx.ipk

2. If this does not install this way, the alternative way is to use 7zip to extract it to a DATA.TAR file and from there extract this file which will give a nested structure of files within folders, which will match the folder structure on your box. The files can then be FTP'd across to the box. The only thing to be aware of here is the possibility of certain permissions needing to be set on some files.

but as im not using ARP I cant test it for you

on the website it gives setup instructions as
    Howto install Cool TV Guide ?

1. go to "Download" and download Cool TV Guide

take .mipsel.ipkg for all OE 1.6 Images (older Version)

take .mips32el.ipkg for all newer images like OE 2.0 or Pli 3.0

2. copy the ipkg to your USB-Stick

3. go to your receiver and install it...
    so maybe just plugin the usb key with the ipk file only on it and maybe it will offer to install

Sorry about the long post

thanks for that, i will try install it from a usb so, i didnt cop it was an ipk file so i will give those installation instructions a go aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you have Dream Explorer plugin installed it will install IPK files. Simply copy it to a temp folder on the box and click on it.

i am trying to do it with dream box control centre at the mo, i have it on; tools; ipkg packages; upload packages ; and its telling me its done? is that it or am i miles off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

i am trying to do it with dream box control centre at the mo, i have it on; tools; ipkg packages; upload packages ; and its telling me its done? is that it or am i miles off!

Did you restart?

So what happened when you used the methods I described to install the ipk ? If the image you are using does not like the ipkg command, use opkg install xxxxxxx.ipk instead.

Please be aware that Openar-p is oe2.0 based. I think Hyperion is too but I think that HDMU is oe1.6 based

just restarted it and it didnt update, still getting the message everytime i press epg telling me there is a new version available, im not too sure how to figure out champs instructions for sending the ipk to the box, would anyone mind giving me step by step instructions for doing it via DCC please? i can see options for telnet and ftp on it but havnt a clue what to do! sorry :o

• Advertisement

just restarted it and it didnt update, still getting the message everytime i press epg telling me there is a new version available, im not too sure how to figure out champs instructions for sending the ipk to the box, would anyone mind giving me step by step instructions for doing it via DCC please? i can see options for telnet and ftp on it but havnt a clue what to do! sorry :o

You need to download Filezilla to your PC. Filezilla is an FTP client (a rogram for copying files from one place to another)

ok thanks i will try that and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

I had this with the update. What I did was uninstall the version in the box first. If you can't do it using the uninstall plugins method ftp into the box and physically delete the cooltv plugin folder.
    You then just put the new version on using the methods mentioned. I just extracted files using 7zip then copied the files over using filezilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Just wondering if any one has setup up port forwarding on a UPC Cisco EPC3925?
    Looking to get FTP going to the box and to be able to steam outside my home network.
    Done some playing around and can get the http side of things going but ftp keeps getting connection refused and i dont think i have enough ports opened up for the streaming.
    If some one has it set up could PM me their setting would be great!!
    Any help much appreciated. Would ask in UPC section but... well... you know how useful that can be.

Cheers

Gar

Trust me, you do not want to open ftp to the outside world.

If you really want to do it ftp is a special protocol, it uses 2 ports, the connection is initialised on port 21 then data uses port 20

Hmm you are probably right but the streaming tv remotely would be really nice. That should be safe enough....
    Could enable and disable FTP as and when i need it with remote management of the router

gar wrote: »
    Hmm you are probably right but the streaming tv remotely would be really nice. That should be safe enough....
    Could enable and disable FTP as and when i need it with remote management of the router

That doesn't make it secure, when it's open your router would be a target for bots

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

gar wrote: »
    ...streaming tv remotely would be really nice...

You need broadband with decent upload speed for streaming to work to a destination outside your own LAN. I'm not sure what the number is maybe 1Mb/s or more, even then you'll probably be limited to SD.

Flex

You need broadband with decent upload speed for streaming to work to a destination outside your own LAN. I'm not sure what the number is maybe 1Mb/s or more, even then you'll probably be limited to SD.

Flex

I can measure the streaming rate on my router, SD uses 2-5mbit, HD 18-25mbit. There is no transcoding on this box like other linux boxes/slingboxes

I'll park my idea so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hi

I need help with ftp to amiko alien 2. I installed FileZilla but cannot connect to amiko in spark or enigma 2 Open PLi image. Tried with Open Suse 13.1 system and MacBook but no joy!

Keep getting message ehostunreach - cannot connect to server. Does anyone know how to sort this problem. I can connect to router and stream 1channel but this problem appeared after I installed 1channel on enigma 2 image.

Has anybody come across this issue.

Thanks

yeah im struggling aswell, i installed filezilla and cant get it to connect, do i have to change settings on the laptop to allow it ?

Hi

I am not sure. I tried ip: 8888 with username:alien and no joy.

Tried with normal ip and won't work yet every post talks about ftp as standard. I cannot get it to work at all.

There must be a simple way to do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Hi

I am not sure. I tried ip: 8888 with username:alien and no joy.

Tried with normal ip and won't work yet every post talks about ftp as standard. I cannot get it to work at all.

There must be a simple way to do this!

What images are you all running that's having these problems?

hallo dare wrote: »
    What images are you all running that's having these problems?

Hi

i am not sure. i downloaded it from tradetv.ie website. bougt box from them. it says open pli when i am on epg page. how do i find the image info?

Hi

i am not sure. i downloaded it from tradetv.ie website. bougt box from them. it says open pli when i am on epg page. how do i find the image info?

You'll need to contract them our else flash one of the images someone here prepared

Hi

Try username :root

Password is left blank

Try username :root

Password is left blank

Hi

i have tried all those things. Contacted shop and they gave me ip 8888 suggestion but this did not work. i think installing 1channel may have affected system as i could ftp to install that plugin on two separate occasions. after each install of 1channel, ftp stopped working.

Hi

i have tried all those things. Contacted shop and they gave me ip 8888 suggestion but this did not work. i think installing 1channel may have affected system as i could ftp to install that plugin on two separate occasions. after each install of 1channel, ftp stopped working.

As same ol has said, easiest thing to do is flash a new image from here as the lads that have supplied them know their ins and outs.

• Advertisement

As same ol has said, easiest thing to do is flash a new image from here as the lads that have supplied them know their ins and outs.

Hi again

i.downloaded file.and saved to usb. tried to flash inage but told cannot find kernel file. should i try again? how do i remove plugins and reflash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement