Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Hadn't seen this thread. about 2 week out of isolation.

all 5 of us had it. Caught it for somebody who travelled from abroad.
    Oddly she had passed a test 48h before in order to fly into ireland.
    Was a strange way to catch it considering all the non compliance we did over last 12 months.

wife and I had a few days of a temp (max 39c) and a cough that lingered for about 2 weeks but wasn't a severe cough.

temp went on a few days more than normal (according to GP). was a weird one in that I woke up fine then temp kicked in about 1700 everyday.
    Felt tired from disjointed sleep but not from covid itself.
    Cos I work at home I stayed working and just missed 3 days.

I feel good now no effects, wife says smell is hit and miss. She doesn't like coffee anymore which is a world ending event for her.

Kids - wouldn't know they had it.
    In some ways was roughest on youngest (6) cos he initially was negative and then positive so did the longest isolation and had to talk to his pals out the window.

We would have been a healthy family with reasonable diet and all of us have sport/training in our schedule with no illnesses bar childhood asthma runs in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

After I last posted my support bubble person ended up in hospital on oxygen & my 18 year old daughter developed post covid symptoms & also had a trip to hospital. 4 weeks later & I needed antibiotics & steroids.

Now I am still coughing badly & probably more antibiotics. We had the SA Variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

.42. wrote: »
    Could you not go back to the walk in test centre and get tested again in 3 days to ease your mind?

They say you can't go to a walk-in test centre if you have tested positive in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,422 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lately I'm noticing that chocolate gives me a sense of short breath, cough, or something lik this, a sense of slight choking in my throat.
    Never had this feeling before, but I have it now, a year after the disease.

And for the taste, some foods still don't taste the same to me.

Sounds like you've potentially an acid reflux issue.

I thought I'd developed a lung condition back in January, difficulty breathing, coughing, turns out it was bad acid reflux.

Might be worth trying some Gaviscon and seeing if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sounds like you've potentially an acid reflux issue.

I thought I'd developed a lung condition back in January, difficulty breathing, coughing, turns out it was bad acid reflux.

Might be worth trying some Gaviscon and seeing if it helps.

Thanks for your reply.
    Well, I know what an acid reflux feels like, because I used to have it in the past, and this is definitely different.
    It's more like an "asthma" feeling right after eating chocolate. I didn't notice any similar symptoms after eating other kinds of food.
    This symptom of mine would make me think more of a slight allergy to chocolate, and I hope it is not, because it's one of my favourite things in life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,875 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for your reply.
    Well, I know what an acid reflux feels like, because I used to have it in the past, and this is definitely different.
    It's more like an "asthma" feeling right after eating chocolate. I didn't notice any similar symptoms after eating other kinds of food.
    This symptom of mine would make me think more of a slight allergy to chocolate, and I hope it is not, because it's one of my favourite things in life :)

Chocolate has a component theophylline which has special effects.
    Suggest having a read of this.
    https://asthma.net/living/the-effects-of-chocolate-on-or-reasons-to-consume-chocolate

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Chocolate has a component theophylline which has special effects.
    Suggest having a read of this.
    https://asthma.net/living/the-effects-of-chocolate-on-or-reasons-to-consume-chocolate

That is an interesting article and gives me more excuses to eat more chocolate :P
    But it seems I'm having the opposite effects from it, am I not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,875 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That is an interesting article and gives me more excuses to eat more chocolate :P
    But it seems I'm having the opposite effects from it, am I not?

Yeah it's a strange one, perhaps your chest is tighter than you realise and after eating the chocolate you are getting a weird feeling of it trying to open up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a strange one, perhaps your chest is tighter than you realise and after eating the chocolate you are getting a weird feeling of it trying to open up.

I saw a pulmonologist last August because I wanted to make sure my breathing capacity was still fine three months after the covid (I had no symptoms during the disease).
    The pulmonologist auscultated me and said all was fine, and he also ran a spirometry test who returned a perfect result "one of the best results I saw in my life" he said, so I think all is fine in that aspect.
    Unless this has nothing to do with what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone experiencing hair loss, shredding loads, when brushing?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Me.
    Hair loss is one of the symptoms post covid. One of the first persons to talk about it was the actress Alyssa Milano, you can find her video on the internet, where she shows how her hair remains in her brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I am however I thought it was because I had a baby 7 months ago. In hindsight it really ramped up after covid. Feck it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Me.
    Hair loss is one of the symptoms post covid. One of the first persons to talk about it was the actress Alyssa Milano, you can find her video on the internet, where she shows how her hair remains in her brush.

Yes I remember that and some thought she was lying, milking it for media attention

I have to increase more vitamin E and B6 and collagen to hope to help with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My sinuses started really bugging me the weekend before last, but put it down to hay fever or a cold as other than that felt fine. Started getting headaches early last week but they passed also. Slept poorly all week though but generally felt fine. Noticed a cough developing this weekend which i put down to a post nasal drip but my mrs started to feel poorly over the weekend so she rang the GP this morning who told us both to get tested. Went down to the walk in centre this morning & am now convinced after reading this threa that it'll come back positive.

The thing is how long do I need to isolate for if so? Reading the HSE website I've been sympotamic, havent had a fever & first had symptoms last Sunday wek back, so should be okay 10 days from then? Is that correct? Even though I'll have only gotten the reult in the next day or 2?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

DvB wrote: »
    My sinuses started really bugging me the weekend before last, but put it down to hay fever or a cold as other than that felt fine. Started getting headaches early last week but they passed also. Slept poorly all week though but generally felt fine. Noticed a cough developing this weekend which i put down to a post nasal drip but my mrs started to feel poorly over the weekend so she rang the GP this morning who told us both to get tested. Went down to the walk in centre this morning & am now convinced after reading this threa that it'll come back positive.

The thing is how long do I need to isolate for if so? Reading the HSE website I've been sympotamic, havent had a fever & first had symptoms last Sunday wek back, so should be okay 10 days from then? Is that correct? Even though I'll have only gotten the reult in the next day or 2?

Yeah, it's 10 days from the first symptom.

I'm currently isolating with my brother, we both have covid. Our father was the original "super spreader"

He had symptoms 10 days ago today, he was vaccinated 4 weeks ago today, so when he got the symptoms, much like we've you're describing, he put it down to after effects of the vaccination.

It's only when I got ill last week did the penny drop with him.

As for my own experience. I'm 38, in good health to begin with, don't smoke. Moderate fitness, just go for a walk, so I'm not some gym rat.

But I got a high fever last week, it lasted nearly 2 days, it was high, but very manageable with painkillers.

On Saturday I got the chesty cough, it was only slight, and the best way I can describe it, was that it felt like it was the end of a cough I just couldn't shift, like I was trying times shift a bit of phlegm that wouldn't get up.

Much like the fever, it left as quickly as it came on.

So yesterday and today, I think 5 days into it, I have to be honest, I feel great. I really can't complain. In fact, in hindsight, even though I never noticed my breathing being "off", the past two days I've felt like my lungs where able to take huge gulps of air in, so maybe my lung capacity was reduced such a small amount that I never copped it.

And oddly enough, my brother who is a keen runner, and even though he hasn't knowingly shown symptoms, his fitness watch has been telling him for the past week that his fitness levels had dropped 2%.

My mother also tested positive yesterday, she's 64, smokes like a trooper and "knock on wood" hasn't shown anything yet. And I pray it stays that way.

Yeah, it's 10 days from the first symptom.

I'm currently isolating with my brother, we both have covid. Our father was the original "super spreader"

He had symptoms 10 days ago today, he was vaccinated 4 weeks ago today, so when he got the symptoms, much like we've you're describing, he put it down to after effects of the vaccination.

It's only when I got ill last week did the penny drop with him.

As for my own experience. I'm 38, in good health to begin with, don't smoke. Moderate fitness, just go for a walk, so I'm not some gym rat.

But I got a high fever last week, it lasted nearly 2 days, it was high, but very manageable with painkillers.

On Saturday I got the chesty cough, it was only slight, and the best way I can describe it, was that it felt like it was the end of a cough I just couldn't shift, like I was trying times shift a bit of phlegm that wouldn't get up.

Much like the fever, it left as quickly as it came on.

So yesterday and today, I think 5 days into it, I have to be honest, I feel great. I really can't complain. In fact, in hindsight, even though I never noticed my breathing being "off", the past two days I've felt like my lungs where able to take huge gulps of air in, so maybe my lung capacity was reduced such a small amount that I never copped it.

And oddly enough, my brother who is a keen runner, and even though he hasn't knowingly shown symptoms, his fitness watch has been telling him for the past week that his fitness levels had dropped 2%.

My mother also tested positive yesterday, she's 64, smokes like a trooper and "knock on wood" hasn't shown anything yet. And I pray it stays that way.

Going by the 10 day from first symptom guideline I'll be 10 days tomorrow. Other than the sinuses and the annoying cough (best described as similar to your own) if I do test positive I'll appear to have gotten off quite lightly, fingers crossed anyway. I'm 49 & reasonably fit, run 5k or cycle 20k 3 or 4 times a week, probably about half a stone overweight & never smoked... TBH other than the cough feel like I could go out & have a run or cycle as normal.

For me the big problem will be work, I'm on clients sites a lot and need to fill in covid declarations at them all, most question the previous 14 days and are worded in a way which I know from experience will require me to answer in a way that I wont be permitted to enter despite meeting the HSE guidelines around the isolation periods, which will be a real pain. They pretty much all refer to positive tests in the last 14 days... which means I'm probably looking at 2 weeks from the day the test result comes back... just have to wait & see I suppose.

Best of luck with the recovery & fingers crossed your mum is okay too!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Does anyone know if the ransom attract on the HSE will have an effect on getting the results of a test?

I know it has no effect on getting a test but getting a test result is a different issue.

I tried looking it up but can't see a concrete answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

mariaalice wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ransom attract on the HSE will have an effect on getting the results of a test?

I know it has no effect on getting a test but getting a test result is a different issue.

I tried looking it up but can't see a concrete answer.

All my family have had test results back in 24 hours or less

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

DvB wrote:
    Going by the 10 day from first symptom guideline I'll be 10 days tomorrow. Other than the sinuses and the annoying cough (best described as similar to your own) if I do test positive I'll appear to have gotten off quite lightly, fingers crossed anyway. I'm 49 & reasonably fit, run 5k or cycle 20k 3 or 4 times a week, probably about half a stone overweight & never smoked... TBH other than the cough feel like I could go out & have a run or cycle as normal.

Just on this, I had the exact same symptoms as you when I had it in January. Recovered fine, was walking 10+ km a day, every day. In February, I went for a hike up a small mountain behind the house. About a third of the way up, I had to stop. I was dizzy and about to pass out. I could taste blood and couldn't get a breath. It eventually passed and I slowly finished the hike but my lungs haven't been 100% since.

Now, in saying that, I also went on a steroid nasal spray about 2 weeks after the hike and I've been having rotten side effects with that so it could be down to that, but it might be worth keeping in mind. I definitely couldn't lie down properly for the 2 weeks before I started the nasal spray.

After all that my test came back negative. So it appears it is just a sinus infection or suchlike. Just to try & lose this irritating cough now.

Best of luck to everyone in this thread who tested positive, fingers crossed theres no lasting effects & you all bounce back to normal.

Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

After all that my test came back negative. So it appears it is just a sinus infection or suchlike. Just to try & lose this irritating cough now.
    There's definitely another virus doing the rounds that isn't covid. I had it two weeks ago. I take the relevant precautions and the only way I am likely to have caught it is contact with a friend of mine(he'd be in my "bubble") whose kids brought it home from school. I've had a covid text in the interim. Negative. So has he and his missus. Both negative.

Basically a head cold, rapid onset, like two/three days after exposure(covid takes longer from what I've read on it). Sinuses completely bunged up, streaming eyes and snots, no fever, no aches or pains or weakness. I didn't get a headache(My friend did), but I don't get headaches as a rule anyway. My mate's kids were all symptomatic and again in a short timeframe and the exact same symptoms. Basic headcold. For me the main symptoms came and went within 24 hours. Went to bed bunged up with snotters after a day feeling headcold horrible and sorry for myself, :D woke up the next morning thinking "what dose?". Head clear, 90% passed. It was pretty much all from the neck up, though got some mild post dose cough but it was productive and has eased right off. I've subsequently heard of four others with a similar experience. Two of whom also tested negative to covid 19. So unless five different symptomatic people had false negatives there's a non covid headcold type bug doing the rounds.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Definitely another dose doing the rounds. I and my family had covid in March I fully recovered. Then my daughter two weeks ago came home from school with a bit of a cough and sore throat. Few days later I felt the same. She bounced back within a few days but mine is dragging on well over a week now. I've a cough, and coughing up green phlegm in the morning and then a little throughout the day. Had a few days of a blocked nose too. The thing is I had no cough at all when I actually did have covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Best of luck to everyone in this thread who tested positive, fingers crossed theres no lasting effects & you all bounce back to normal.

Take care.
    Your story sounds exactly like mine. Symptoms, progress etc. Got tested this afternoon.

Just reading Wibbs and Martin, sounds like something up my Street.

Hope that the conclusion is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Anyone know if the cyber attack has affected test results waiting times?

We were tsted Monday at 10.30am, we both got results back Tuesday around 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

My daughter tested this morning in Croke Park, hopefully results come in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

We had a test for a child on Friday at 13.50 and got result on Saturday around 13.00. Just less than hours. Not bad turnaround for an under pressure hse.

Tested 3pm on Monday, no result yet, guess that it was too late, early morning seems to deliver the following day.

Coming up on 7 days since possible infection and symptoms fading quickly, not to tempt fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Danzy wrote: »
    Tested 3pm on Monday, no result yet, guess that it was too late, early morning seems to deliver the following day.

Coming up on 7 days since possible infection and symptoms fading quickly, not to tempt fate.

I would ring them. I know plenty of people tested later in the day than that and had the results back the next evening.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I would ring them. I know plenty of people tested later in the day than that and had the results back the next evening.

I'll call them tomorrow afternoon, might be a delay with the ransom ware. I'm self employed so it's no odds to me to isolate a bit longer.

Advertisement