Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''The girl who became three boys''

• 07-08-2012 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184539/The-girl-boys-I-idea-boyfriend-girl.html

I think it was an odd thing to do, to pretend to be a guy and obviously quite upsetting for the girls who believed they had boyfriends. Gemma Barker obviously has some psychological problems, however, I find her sentence to be a bit harsh. Actually, I find it a bit odd that she was sentenced at all. I don't think that it is a crime to pretend to be a man? I wonder where this leaves transsexuals who haven't fully had a sex change and are living their lives as a man or a woman and who may not tell potential partners. So, what do the people of AH think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What was the actual crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Medusa22 wrote:
    I find her sentence to be a bit harsh. Actually, I find it a bit odd that she was sentenced at all.

The crime is only mentioned in the caption of the photo:
    Barker admitted two counts of sexual assault and fraud at Guildford Crown Court

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I'm hugely confused ted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

She seems like a crafty one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I don't think that it is a crime to pretend to be a man? I wonder where this leaves transsexuals who haven't fully had a sex change and are living their lives as a man or a woman and who may not tell potential partners. So, what do the people of AH think?

One of the girls was a minor and there is the issue of consent. I believe it can be considered conditional in law.

There was a male to female transgender on here before saying they wouldn't tell the man until sex IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Is it sexual assault because one girl was 15 or because Barker pretended to be a man? I think it was consensual but maybe the issue of consent is a bit ambiguous because she didn't know who she was really consenting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Probably touching their boobs or something. There was a case of it a few years ago with a woman pretending to be a teen boy and did the same and was charged with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Barker admitted two counts of sexual assault and fraud at Guildford Crown Court

She didnt just pretend to be a man. She deceived someone into thinking she was a man and then performed certain sexual actions on her without her consent as far as I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I'm hugely confused ted

Your confused and are asking a talking teddybear for help.

You're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Also disappointing lack of photos of her in drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

At least shes out of the closet now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

The comments are gas.

I think she overdosed on blue smarties :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

One of the girls was a minor and there is the issue of consent. I believe it can be considered conditional in law.

There was a male to female transgender on here before saying they wouldn't tell the man until sex IIRC

It's disgraceful and deception of the highest order; basically duping someone into have sex with them. It's right that it's a criminal offence. I would imagine most men would be too embarrassed to come forward if it happened them, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BBC Story
    Impersonating a male is almost completely irrelevant here, a 20yo using a fake identity pretended to be 16 and had sexual encounters with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Jorah wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Maybe I could try the opposite with Lesbians?

Trick them into thinking your a woman, get them into bed, turn out the lights and say "I'm gonna do ya with this here dildo" then stick the willy in ?

Pretty sure thats rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Anybody thinking of boys don't cry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvolJNljlqY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What i'm thinking of is the story about the woman who had a guy arrested because she slept with him thinking he was jewish, then found out later he wasnt
    in israel i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Something like this was covered years ago in the film Boys Don't Cry, based on a girl who called herself Brandon and fooled everyone into thinking she was a boy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171804/

I don't see what the crime is, although the deception thing questions their character. It is perfectly acceptable to be a lesbian who chooses to dress as a boy. I don't understand why they don't just do that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I did wonder about it myself, when I saw the advert for the program on channel 4 tonight. From the news article/ might have wikipedia, it said she had autism and something else though. Thought she might have been given leniency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

extra curricular fanny.

she's to be commended for her ingenuity

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    What i'm thinking of is the story about the woman who had a guy arrested because she slept with him thinking he was jewish, then found out later he wasnt
    in israel i think it was

Yeah there was another as well about a guy lying saying he was wearing a condom and that the woman only would have consented to sex with him if he wore a condom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Yeah there was another as well about a guy lying saying he was wearing a condom and that the woman only would have consented to sex with him if he wore a condom.

julian assange?

julian assange?

Actually he did it as well. This guy I vaguely remember passed on a STD to the woman and duped her more then once. STD is what caught him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think that it is a crime to pretend to be a man?
    I think it's just the way the story is being spun here, and the crime is that she sexually abused underage girls, but that the cross-dressing is what the Daily Mail finds juicy and news-worthy.
    I wonder where this leaves transsexuals who haven't fully had a sex change and are living their lives as a man or a woman and who may not tell potential partners. So, what do the people of AH think?

totally different kettle of fish entirely, transgender people are at great risk of physical assault, sexual assault and even murder because of their gender identity, so will tend to keep it to themselves for safety reasons and may only open up about things when they feel safe or comfortable enough to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Arya Stark was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't think that it is a crime to pretend to be a man?
    I think it's just the way the story is being spun here, and the crime is that she sexually abused underage girls, but that the cross-dressing is what the Daily Mail finds juicy and news-worthy.
    I wonder where this leaves transsexuals who haven't fully had a sex change and are living their lives as a man or a woman and who may not tell potential partners. So, what do the people of AH think?

totally different kettle of fish entirely, transgender people are at great risk of physical assault, sexual assault and even murder because of their gender identity, so will tend to keep it to themselves for safety reasons and may only open up about things when they feel safe or comfortable enough to.

Only one of them is a minor though. 16 is the legal age in UK. It could be the use of the dildo without consent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Your confused and are asking a talking teddybear for help.

You're ****ed.

Ah, fer fup sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's all very bizarre to an average bear like me. The world is a strange place and getting weirder by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What was the actual crime?

Rogering a 15 yr old with a pink dildo.

Advertisement