Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike for 10 year old boy

• 16-11-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get a bike for Xmas for my 10 year old son.
    Halfords have a sale but still about €200.

Anywhere to recommend, either bricks & mortar or online.

Thanks
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    Pa

What type of bike are you looking for, and what kind of budget have you in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Go aluminium frame. I got my eldest (8) a Scott mountain bike, super light with a great lowered crossbar design. Big wheels, easy to handle, light, manoeuvrable, good brakes, enough gears without being silly.

He insisted on front suspension (Santa present, couldn't let him down) that's never ever ever activated cause he's too light so it's just added weight.

Here's the rigid version. He uses it for school & sports commuting on the road with me, so we were prepared to pay good money for longevity and quality.

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-scale-20-rigid-bike?article=274943222

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

ratracer wrote: »
    What type of bike are you looking for, and what kind of budget have you in mind?

mountain bike, budget- would pay €200 but if no need to would go lower.

Something like this looks fine

He doesn't use his current bike that much, the odd time going up & down road outside our house (longish road but cul de sac, not on main road).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Please don't get your son that bike.
    It will put him and you off biking for life.
    The forks are purely for ornament, they add nothing to the bike except weight.
    They will also deaden the steering and do nothing for the handling.
    The bike in, all likelihood, will be in a box and will require assembly. If it is assembled, it almost certainly will not have been done properly. A neighbour's child got a Smyth's bike a couple of years ago, the suspension forks were installed backwards.
    The brakes will be difficult, if not impossible to adjust and will not work.
    The hub bearings will be as rough as a badger's asshole.
    The wheels will develop side play.
    Smyths is a toy shop, not a bike shop.
    They don't have any after sales service, they don't employ bike mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi,

Thanks
    Pa

Buy a bike that he will be able to handle himself when he falls down. It means a light bike, with aluminium frame. Don't be fulled by the stupid suspension forks - they not only add weight, but also absorb energy while riding. A 10-YO won't do off-road racing that would justify any suspension anyway...

My 5-YO got a Frog 52 a few years ago - and loved every minute of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

I bought my son who was 10 at the time this one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-24-kids-bike-2020/rp-prod187351
    He loves it, not 1 issue with it in the 18 months he has it. it's light and sturdy enough to take what he can throw at it. He wants a race frame now but he will have to wait until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've lost count the number of times friends and family have come to me for advice on good bikes for their kids, I've advised them to not buy sh1t bikes, they've agreed, I've recommended a range of good bikes, they've then gone and bought a sh1t bike anyway, and the next time I'm around I've to stand and admire the sh1t bike and pretend to agree with them as they tell how in fact good the in reality sh1t bike is.

No more says I. No, nay, never, no more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

grogi wrote: »
    My 5-YO got a Frog 52 a few years ago - and loved every minute of it.

+1 on Frog bikes, but probably a bit over budget. For kids bikes, less is more. No suspension, no gears or rear mech only for slightly older kids, light as possible. Not sure what's available in the €200 range though. When my youngest was that age we bought a second hand bike, did it up together as a project and she loved it as a result. Really great thing to do with your kid if you enjoy that kind of thing.

This looks like very good value to me. It's a bit above your budget, however it's 100 euro cheaper than the one recommended by Dinging.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-24-kids-bike-limited-edition-2020/rp-prod187355

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Always best to visit the smaller independently (or larger ones in dublin) and ask their opinion.
    Tell them exactly what kind of biking he'll be doing. In all honestly a hybrid would prob be best for a 10 year old out gallivanting and exploring.

Avoid halfords and big chain shops/toy shops imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Always best to visit the smaller independently (or larger ones in dublin) and ask their opinion.
    Tell them exactly what kind of biking he'll be doing. In all honestly a hybrid would prob be best for a 10 year old out gallivanting and exploring.

Avoid halfords and big chain shops/toy shops imo.

Cycle superstore have a second hand section and often have great kids bikes. That they will have serviced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

This is the one im getting my lad for xmas. he is 8 but big for his age. Im buying it in a local shop for €250.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ammaco-Black-Russian-Suspension-Mountain/dp/B01AFUB9K4

This is the one im getting my lad for xmas. he is 8 but big for his age. Im buying it in a local shop for €250.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ammaco-Black-Russian-Suspension-Mountain/dp/B01AFUB9K4

Don't... Please don't... You're thinking about full suspension bike, while at this price range even the front shock absorber doesn't make any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Don't... Please don't....

for what reason? This is the one he chose himself

for what reason? This is the one he chose himself

A bicycle is a combination of three metrics.

weight and quality
    features - no. of gears, suspension etc.
    price

If you move one, the other have to move as well...

If you add features (full suspention vs no-suspention) and reduce price (€300 for 24" Vitus vs €250 for this one), what happens to the weight, performance and reliability? Weight goes to space and quality leaves through back door.

This bicycle will be a disaster... It might look cool, but it is nothing but a BSO - Bicycle Shaped Object.

A bicycle is a combination of three metrics.

weight and quality
    features - no. of gears, suspension etc.
    price

If you move one, the other have to move as well...

If you add features (full suspention vs no-suspention) and reduce price (€300 for 24" Vitus vs €250 for this one), what happens to the weight, performance and reliability? Weight goes to space and quality leaves through back door.

This bicycle will be a disaster... It might look cool, but it is nothing but a BSO - Bicycle Shaped Object.

I know what you mean but there have to be exceptions. We live in a long cul de sac, there's a long, straight country main road as the main road so he's not allowed cycle there. He only cycles from our house to his friends & back, 700m max.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Please don't get your son that bike.
    It will put him and you off biking for life.
    it gave me a chuckle that the very first 'feature' mentioned for the bike is that it fits in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I know what you mean but there have to be exceptions. We live in a long cul de sac, there's a long, straight country main road as the main road so he's not allowed cycle there. He only cycles from our house to his friends & back, 700m max.

Tough crowd in here, a bike for a 10 year old is supposed to be fun, my first bike must've weighed a ton and all steel but plenty of rust, yet I still cycle today. Buy him what he wants, if he is going to cycle that short distance anything will do.

I would agree to try find a bike shop though as after sales service and known its put together well us reassuring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the bike i remember with least fondness from my youth was my kaybee 'BMX mountain bike', partly because the thing was so heavy it could neither BMX nor mountain bike. i think it was hewn from wicklow granite.
    we sold it to a neighbour, from whom it was stolen the night they bought it - after they left it on the road outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

This one any good? I'm in the same boat as op and was going to go for a muddy fox bike from sports direct but they won't deliver. I'm in 2 minds whether or not to pay a decent amount. I would like to pay the money but I know it'll end up in the garden with broken pedals and cables everywhere.

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    This one any good? I'm in the same boat as op and was going to go for a muddy fox bike from sports direct but they won't deliver. I'm in 2 minds whether or not to pay a decent amount. I would like to pay the money but I know it'll end up in the garden with broken pedals and cables everywhere.

8 live cycling & encourage it for my kids. Our road is 800m long, main road is too dangerous. Therefore I'm not too convened about quality l/lightness of bike. He'll be cycle to friends house and back. Otherwise I would go for a quality, light bike.

That bike weighs over 15 kgs.
    For a 7 year old.

Heavy indeed, especially when you consider 15kg would be what an adult bike would weigh at the upper end of the scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Heavy indeed, especially when you consider 15kg would be what an adult bike would weigh at the upper end of the scale.

Given an average 7 year old boy weighs 23kg and I weigh 90kg, that would be like me cycling a 58kg bike. Not even that I wouldn't be able to cycle it, but if it fell over I'm not sure I'd be able get it upright again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Second hand BMX for estate hackery.

But everyone loves a new thing, even if it's garbage.

This looks like very good value to me. It's a bit above your budget, however it's 100 euro cheaper than the one recommended by Dinging.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-24-kids-bike-limited-edition-2020/rp-prod187355

This is very nice indeed. Any recommendations for €200 max please?
    Thanks,
    Patrick.

This is very nice indeed. Any recommendations for €200 max please?
    Thanks,
    Patrick.

That seems to have been a bit of an outlier. They're out of stock now,
    I can't see anything like it at your budget.

Hi,

IGNORING that these are heavy bikes etc. which would suit best- Bike A
    Son will be 10 in April, is 140cm tall, inside leg 25"

Bike B might be ever so big atm but not for long. If it was't for Xmas could just try out bike sizes....

Bike A
    24 inch wheel size.
    14 inch frame size
    Inside leg 24-28 inches

Thanks,
    Patrick

Bike B
    20 inch frame size.
    26 inch wheel size.
    26 to 32 inch inside leg measurements.

• Advertisement