Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I tried it once with cobblelock bricks that had been stained by an engine oil changing incident. They came out lovely and clean but the dishwasher rack wheels used to crunch on residual sand for months afterwards...

Bottle of coke and a brush might have been quicker.

The coke was for the bricks, not for energy to scrub the bricks, just to be clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a winner.
    this is your prize, i thought it apt.

469902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bottle of coke and a brush might have been quicker.

The coke was for the bricks, not for energy to scrub the bricks, just to be clear.

Paraffin oil and a match burns away the stain also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Type 17 wrote: »
    In my early teens (1985), I stripped the axles and freewheel off a pair of yellow-but-filthy Skyway Tuff II BMX wheels and put them in the dishwasher when my mum was out. Got them out before she came home, and she never knew.
    The wheels looked amazing, but were just as dirty a few months later...
    I'm more shocked that you had a dishwasher in 1985, I was the dishwasher in my house well into the late 90s!

To be fair, we only got one because we'd moved to a new house a few years earlier, and there was a plumbed space for one in the kitchen - my parents spent a year or so looking at the hole, whilst saving up to fill it - if the house hadn't got the plumbed space, I doubt we would have got one until much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

i may be proving my own thread title wrong here, but was musing on the way in - what bike components could you clean in the dishwasher?

the salt will be a big limiting factor - but cassette and chainrings, anyway? jockey wheels too?

Why is everyone so stressed about salt? It's used in low amounts as a rinse aid, the residue shouldn't be visible to the naked eye (9mg/M3).

Dishwasher detergent is very caustic, so avoid putting anything aluminium in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I bought a new 250 quid bog standard road bike for my 20k round trip commute 3 months ago, what would be the typical timeline for maintenance/servicing etc.
    I ask as all guides I can find online are geared to the more enthusiastic cyclist with expensive bikes (i.e. wash drivetrain after each use). I've washed & oiled the chain about once every 500km. Other than that, should servicing be annual? I was thinking of doing it when summer starts after the worst of the weather has ended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wouldn't have used any detergent if using the washer, just put it on a hot wash and let the mechanical action and heat take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Quick question. I'm building up a commuter with old spares. Will a 50 36 chainrings work with an 11 28 or 12 27 cassette with a short cage derailleur. It's a 10 speed mish mash of 105, ultegra and tiagra. Thanks in advance.

bsb1971 wrote: »
    Quick question. I'm building up a commuter with old spares. Will a 50 36 chainrings work with an 11 28 or 12 27 cassette with a short cage derailleur. It's a 10 speed mish mash of 105, ultegra and tiagra. Thanks in advance.

Some reading here https://www.mantel.com/blog/en/derailleur-capacity-maximum-techcenter/

I imagine some one here can give you a proper yes or no though.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

@Enfilade - thanks for that, it would seem I now have something to keep me busy over the weekend, sorting that o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

bsb1971 wrote: »

I don't see why not considering my 2013 Giant Defy came with Ultegra 50/34 chainrings, an 11/28 cassette and a short cage rear derailleur.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

S_D wrote: »
    Looking at a new wheel set and really dont know much about different wheels to make a decision!

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/zipp-404-carbon-wheels/20675352 <- Older Zipp

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/mavic-cosmic-carbone-slr-front-wheel-clincher/20685584 <- Cosmic SLR

This would be using for TT. Ideally just looking at fronts only, but would a better wheel be the older Zipp or something like that Cosmic? Or is it much of a muchness?

Anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Put new wheels on and while transferring cassette I did a deep clean. Now chain started slipping on some gears. I think the dirt had actually been stopping it from slipping.

Measured chain and it’s a bit stretched but decided it’s time for new chain and cassette, no worries

Got them today and while I have the chain off looking at the chain ring does it need changing too?

https://flic.kr/p/2cLe7vi

Anyone? :confused:

Hard to say - wheels are like car insurance - the deal that someone else got may not suit you or vice-versa. Note that the Cosmic front wheel is a clincher and the Zipps are tubulars - have you thought about which you would prefer?

Put new wheels on and while transferring cassette I did a deep clean. Now chain started slipping on some gears. I think the dirt had actually been stopping it from slipping.

Measured chain and it’s a bit stretched but decided it’s time for new chain and cassette, no worries

Got them today and while I have the chain off looking at the chain ring does it need changing too?

https://flic.kr/p/2cLe7vi

Technically, that chainring is a bit worn, and so will wear a new chain a little faster than a brand new chainring would but, given the price of a new chainring versus the cost of a new chain and cassette, I'd run a new chain and cassette on this 'ring one more time, and then when that chain and cassette are worn out again, I'd get all three and start again fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Technically, that chainring is a bit worn, and so will wear a new chain a little faster than a brand new chainring would but, given the price of a new chainring versus the cost of a new chain and cassette, I'd run a new chain and cassette on this 'ring one more time, and then when that chain and cassette are worn out again, I'd get all three and start again fresh.

If it makes any difference price wise it’s a 105 chain set. New cassette is ultegra as 105 doesn’t come on 12-30 and chain is kmc xl10s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone know if there's any Italian Threaded BB386EVO bottom brack at all at all? I was about to pull the trigger on a BSA one, then realised my bike was likely Italian threaded (Guerciotti) so scuppered some plans

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

How does one know the condition of a front hub? Spoke are solid, spins freely etc anything else to check? (Going to look at a 2nd hand wheel hence the question)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any Italian Threaded BB386EVO bottom brack at all at all? I was about to pull the trigger on a BSA one, then realised my bike was likely Italian threaded (Guerciotti) so scuppered some plans

Can you put up a link to the bike?

How does one know the condition of a front hub? Spoke are solid, spins freely etc anything else to check? (Going to look at a 2nd hand wheel hence the question)

Hold the axle and spin the wheel - should be silky-smooth with no roughness (or minimal, consistent "texture" if it's a cheap wheel, but I presume you aren't going to buy a wheel that cheap on the secondhand market).

Check the rim is straight, with no hops or dents, as well as no sideways run-out.

If it's a rim-brake wheel, check the brake tracks for wear - there may be a rut worn into the centre of the brake-track (if so, leave it, unless it's really cheap).

Bring a spoke key and turn a few spokes a half-turn open (and then turn them back, to avoid messing up the trueness) - if the nipples are seized or part-seized, walk away. Another sign that the nipples may seize soon is a lot of corrosion (white bloom on the aluminium) under the rim-tape - don't buy a wheel without seeing under the rim-tape - if the seller doesn't want to take the tyres off, walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Sorry for the dumb question. I've just changed my gear cable as the gears were slipping and I noticed the cable was fraying at the derailleur. I've watched a few videos online of H/L setting and indexing. My problem is that I cant get the gears to shift lower than 4th gear. Adjusting the L setting makes no difference. Is the tension in my gear cable wrong or am I missing something stupid. I understand the barrel adjustment is only for indexing.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    Sorry for the dumb question. I've just changed my gear cable as the gears were slipping and I noticed the cable was fraying at the derailleur. I've watched a few videos online of H/L setting and indexing. My problem is that I cant get the gears to shift lower than 4th gear. Adjusting the L setting makes no difference. Is the tension in my gear cable wrong or am I missing something stupid. I understand the barrel adjustment is only for indexing.

Many thanks

Don't touch the H/L screws to set the indexing, and if you have, you need to set them up again before riding.

Both the limit settings (H/L) and the indexing (cable tension) are covered here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Desperately need help folks.

Spent the day servicing my bike.

Fixed up my cantilever brakes with nice new pads, cleaned and greased everything. Spent a million years getting them set up *just right*

Was screwing the rear cantilever back on and it was just about tight enough and the head of the screw snapped off.

So now I have most of a screw stuck in the cantilever boss.

It's not sticking out or even flush but slightly recessed.

What on earth do I do? (Aside from cursing and feeling sorry for myself, I'm doing loads of that).

Massive internet high five for anyone who can help me out with any ideas.

So so so pisssed off.

homer911 wrote: »

Many thanks

Your gears may have been slipping because of a worn chain and/or cassette.

Desperately need help folks.

Spent the day servicing my bike.

Fixed up my cantilever brakes with nice new pads, cleaned and greased everything. Spent a million years getting them set up *just right*

Was screwing the rear cantilever back on and it was just about tight enough and the head of the screw snapped off.

So now I have most of a screw stuck in the cantilever boss.

It's not sticking out or even flush but slightly recessed.

What on earth do I do? (Aside from cursing and feeling sorry for myself, I'm doing loads of that).

Massive internet high five for anyone who can help me out with any ideas.

So so so pisssed off.

photograph please.

Most canti bosses are actually screwed into a recess on the frame - check if there are two flats at its base, ready to take a 7 or 8mm open-end spanner - if you can get a spare one off a scrap frame (I have a few spare ones if you're in Dublin), you can then afford to attempt to unscrew the old one (they're usually tight as hell, and you may round off the flats, so be prepared to get the Vice-grips out).

Most canti bosses are actually screwed into a recess on the frame - check if there are two flats at its base, ready to take a 7 or 8mm open-end spanner - if you can get a spare one off a scrap frame (I have a few spare ones if you're in Dublin), you can then afford to attempt to unscrew the old one (they're usually tight as hell, and you may round off the flats, so be prepared to get the Vice-grips out).
    It's an old steel frame and appears to all one bit stuck on? I'll have another look tomorrow

Eamonnator wrote: »
    photograph please.

I'll get one tomorrow (don't trust myself to go near the bike again)

If a bit were still sticking out I'd Dremel a groove in it an screw it out, but it's about 3/4mm recessed into the boss

It's an old steel frame and appears to all one bit stuck on? I'll have another look tomorrow

Here's a good pic of one, so you can see which bit unscrews and what is welded to the rest of the frame. note that the join may be painted over.

https://www.amazon.com/Surly-Cantilever-Stud-1mm-Threaded/dp/B001GSONNA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If the head came off, and you can now remove the brake, is there nothing left protruding to grip onto?
    If not, you'd need to drill into the damaged screw and use an ez-out to remove it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

if you're near baldoyle i have a set of screw extractors you can try.

Advertisement