Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I was staying in the right lane here last night (in the cycle lane approaching the lights) and someone in a SUV nearly knocked me down in a rush to join the traffic stopped at the red light turning left.

It's a pure balls of a spot.

We must be neighbours. Can't stand that junction - especially the way the cycle lane for going straight 'jumps' to the left after the ASL here but if you were to stick to that line it's almost a guaranteed left hook. So you kinda end up in no mans land passing through the junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

We must be neighbours. Can't stand that junction - especially the way the cycle lane for going straight 'jumps' to the left after the ASL here but if you were to stick to that line it's almost a guaranteed left hook. So you kinda end up in no mans land passing through the junction.

I've had a few cars pass me on the left using the left turn/bus lane to go straight, fairly frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

For sure, i'm always anxious that a motorist through there at speed trying to make the lights will take me out.

One of the first times i cycled along there i mistakenly queued in the lane to go straight forward and got blown out of it by an irate individual in a serious rush to go left.

It's a crap layout.
    amcalester wrote: »
    I've had a few cars pass me on the left using the left turn/bus lane to go straight, fairly frightening.

I'm like a nosey neighbour looking over my shoulders going through there.

Dodgy as hell. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'm like a nosey neighbour looking over my shoulders going through there.

Dodgy as hell. :D

Yeah, the first time it happened I looked over my shoulder and saw that it was a car and not a bus so started moving to the left to re-join the bike lane, I wrongly assumed that because it was a car it was turning left.

Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Not a near miss as such as I was still a few meters back with plenty of time to brake, but I saw an interesting one yesterday evening. Coming off the UCD flyover outbound there was a pileup of cars looking to join the inside lane as is usually the case with rush hour traffic here. Some lady in a porsche 4x4 decides that she's more important than the remaining traffic and decides to take the bus lane. Nothing wrong with that from a safety aspect, other than it being a little bit selfish; which is hardly unusual from South Dublin drivers. However, with the start of the bus lane being obscured by those looking to join the correct lane this lady fully mounts the raised cycle lane without slowing (or looking, presumably) for about 10 meters before flying up the bus lane.

I was about 10 meters back when she did this, but she passed me at some speed. Conservative estimate is she went up onto the curb at 40. Based on where I was there was little risk of being hit, and thankfully the lane ahead was clear, but I've little doubt in my mind that it would have been nasty had a cyclist been sitting on the car's left when the porsche carried out the manoeuvre. I'm baffled by the sheer carelessness of some people. I understand mistakes and carelessness can happen that end up being dangerous, but this was pretty damn reckless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Another "not a near miss" story here :D. Saw a car a few morning backs with no lights on, in the dark. Was 50m behind him for a good five minutes, and the lights were still off, so I resolved to catch up to him to tell him. It's easy in urban areas to forget, I've done it myself. But I never caught him, we got a good run of green lights.

Same deal yesterday on the way home, it's dark. Car with no lights passes by, "Right, I'm going to get to this guy". Pull up, wave at the driver, point at the lights and he shouts, "Yeah, I know, they're broken".

FFS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheJak01 wrote: »
    I was about 10 meters back when she did this, but she passed me at some speed. Conservative estimate is she went up onto the curb at 40. Based on where I was there was little risk of being hit, and thankfully the lane ahead was clear, but I've little doubt in my mind that it would have been nasty had a cyclist been sitting on the car's left when the porsche carried out the manoeuvre. I'm baffled by the sheer carelessness of some people. I understand mistakes and carelessness can happen that end up being dangerous, but this was pretty damn reckless.

Wait until the students are back and you get the race up the bus lane to the Fosters Avenue junction, where they pull in for about 100m and then pull back out to pretend to go to the petrol station, then merge in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

seamus wrote: »
    Another "not a near miss" story here :D. Saw a car a few morning backs with no lights on, in the dark. Was 50m behind him for a good five minutes, and the lights were still off, so I resolved to catch up to him to tell him. It's easy in urban areas to forget, I've done it myself. But I never caught him, we got a good run of green lights.

Same deal yesterday on the way home, it's dark. Car with no lights passes by, "Right, I'm going to get to this guy". Pull up, wave at the driver, point at the lights and he shouts, "Yeah, I know, they're broken".

FFS.

Reminds me of a time when I passed a driver in slow-ish traffic with no lights on, I slowed down and waved/pointed at the lights and got a tirade of abuse "You cyclists blah blah", "I'm nowhere near the cycle lane", etc. I let him have his moment and then said "I was just saying you've no lights on" to which, in fairness to him, he apologised profusely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tried to flag down a car the other day with part of the undercarriage dragging along the road. Don't think she understood....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ED E wrote: »
    Tried to flag down a car the other day with part of the undercarriage dragging along the road. Don't think she understood....

Had a carpenters van in front of me one evening that was driving with the back door wide open. Managed to catch up to him at the lights and let him know. From the reaction I don't think it was the first time it happened. No confusion, passenger was straight out to close it. We all had a laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Is this appropriate "taking the lane"?

Was he going right as the video ends? Otherwise I can't think of a reason why he would be there.

no he continued on until the third turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yeah, thats a bit crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Chiparus wrote: »

What a walnut

no he continued on until the third turn right.

As Enfalide says, unless he was taking that right it seems inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There are hundreds of thousands of international students/ young migrant workers in Ireland; and the first thing a lot of them do when they get here is buy a bike.

I would bet a tenner that lad is from continental Europe.

I don't know the road or what traffic is like on it so maybe he feels it's better to be there than have to attempt to cross 2 lanes when his turn comes up.

I do this on one similar stretch which wouldn't be a good idea to cross from left to right close to the junction to go right but it's about 250-300 meters and If I get anything behind me I stick my right arm out to let the driver know why I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Enfilade wrote: »
    I don't know the road or what traffic is like on it so maybe he feels it's better to be there than have to attempt to cross 2 lanes when his turn comes up.

I do this on one similar stretch which wouldn't be a good idea to cross from left to right close to the junction to go right but it's about 250-300 meters and If I get anything behind me I stick my right arm out to let the driver know why I'm there.

Coming out of Waterford I think, but either way it's pretty clear it was not busy at that time. We don't have to find excuses for every cyclist. Like car drivers, a lot of cyclists are twats

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There are hundreds of thousands of international students/ young migrant workers in Ireland; and the first thing a lot of them do when they get here is buy a bike.

I would bet a tenner that lad is from continental Europe.

I think you may be correct , he caught up with me about 600 m later at the traffic lights , He had a exotoc look about him ( last few sec in the vid)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Even if he was trying to "take the lane" his positioning within the lane is very odd - too far to the right - like he's nearly encouraging drivers to skim by him on the left. Doesnt seem like a very safe riding strategy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So I got run over this evening. I was coming down through Inchicore on Suir road north towards Kilmainham. There’s a junction on the left as you come around a bend. I had to brake as a car decided to cross into the cycle lane and mount the footpath to take the turn. As I came around the corner a VW pulled out in front of me and I went over the bonnet and down on the main road on my back.

Next thing I know some sort of people carrier coming the opposite direction uses this as their opportunity to turn into the side road and over my back wheel with me under the bike. ****er didn’t stop either.

The VW driver in fairness was contrite and I got his details. Not sure what state the bike is in but the back wheel wasn’t too bent out of shape and I was able to limp home.

I guess I should go see a doctor and get checked out. The adrenaline has started to wear off and I’m sore all over and I’ve a cut on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

5uspect wrote: »
    I guess I should go see a doctor and get checked out. The adrenaline has started to wear off and I’m sore all over and I’ve a cut on my face.

Do. If only for the painkillers you'll soon be in need of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Four days commuting on the bike this week, same junction, two crazy incidents. So a 50% hit rate of craziness.

The junction is the one turning right into the Phoenix Park at Park Gate St. It is where I’m going to come a cropper some day. Traffic a bit lighter and I’m leaving work a bit later, so motorists build up crazy speed before hitting this junction.

Incident 1 - Tuesday

Turning right into the park. Hand out. Well lit - hi vis etc. Some crazy bint comes outside my right hand side, horn blaring. She’s going straight on towards chapelizod. But hey there’s a cyclist in her way.

Incident 2 - today

Same junction, turning right, hand out, well lit. Crazy woman behind comes up my left, swings across in front of me. Almost hits me and the cyclist in front of me. She’s going right as well, up the Phoenix Park. I’m almost forced by her into traffic coming the opposite direction by her idiotic move.

I’m going to have to avoid this junction. Just getting too crazy with too many impatient idiots in cars who see cyclists as mere objects, not humans making their way home.

So I got run over this evening. I was coming down through Inchicore on Suir road north towards Kilmainham. There’s a junction on the left as you come around a bend. I had to brake as a car decided to cross into the cycle lane and mount the footpath to take the turn. As I came around the corner a VW pulled out in front of me and I went over the bonnet and down on the main road on my back.

Next thing I know some sort of people carrier coming the opposite direction uses this as their opportunity to turn into the side road and over my back wheel with me under the bike. ****er didn’t stop either.

The VW driver in fairness was contrite and I got his details. Not sure what state the bike is in but the back wheel wasn’t too bent out of shape and I was able to limp home.

As well a s a doctor, did you call the Gardai. Great that the VW driver was contrite but the people carrier left the scene of an accident and caused property damage.

Either way, get too doc first, getting yourself checked over first is the most important thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Haven’t gone to the doctor yet nor have I called the Gardai. I was doored a couple years ago and the driver drove off and it felt like I was wasting their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Haven’t gone to the doctor yet nor have I called the Gardai. I was doored a couple years ago and the driver drove off and it felt like I was wasting their time.

One of the sad things for me that seemed to mark the transition from childhood to adulthood was the realisation that the gardai are not some kind of wonderful protectors who are there to look out for us. There civil servants, and unfortunately like many civil servants (apologies for the generalisation but I can only speak of my experiences) have to be cajaoaled to do there job.

Make sure you report what happened. Tell them you want to make a statement. They may or may not try to put you off or make little of the incident. Don't let them. Make the statement, give as much details as you can. It may lead to nothing. It may be useful to the next person who reports some one but don't let them try to put you off. What happened you was serious and could have been a lot worse.

Witnessed a seriously close pass this morning in the car, but not in the usual way.

Cyclist up a head was keeping out from the kerb as there are a series of diy concrete ramps added beyond the kerb to allow people easier entry to their driveways...... thats another rant, but I'd guess he was about 75cm away from it so correct position. Car in front of me overtakes him and gives him plenty of space but not so much for the on coming car who felt the need to swerve a little to avoid losing her wing mirror followed a prolonged beep. Even with the swerve I'd have said there were only cm's between the cars. There were only 2 cars on coming so it would only have been a matter of seconds for the car to have waited.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Not a near miss really but I was driving to work this morning and there was a jeep in front of me with a cyclist in front of him who was all the way in against the kerb approaching a traffic island with cars parked on the left of it just beyond. The guy on the bike was basically inviting the jeep to squeeze him, and he did. I held back until he got to the parked cars and sure enough he lurched out around the first car without so much as a glance behind. If I'd followed the jeep through he would've swerved right under my car. Not to victim blame but people who cycle like that must have an awful impression of how dangerous the roads are since they're asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

benjamin d wrote: »
    ...Not to victim blame but people who cycle like that must have an awful impression of how dangerous the roads are since they're asking for trouble.

A lot of cyclists like that guy consider themselves as "non-traffic", and as a result, they (subconsciously) subscribe to myths like:
    They're not really taking up any space on the road
    They can skirt just around the edges of the "real" traffic
    They don't need to look every time, as drivers are licensed and they'll see them.

This is also leads to stuff like RLJ'ing, riding against the traffic flow and on footpaths.

Unfortunately, many motor vehicle drivers also see cyclists as "not really there", and don't feel the need to give them any space, or to look for them (as opposed to looking for motor vehicles) before turning or pulling out. When these two types of road users meet, it can often be fatal.

"You have to do their driving for them" is what I say to cyclists who ask about staying safe around motor vehicles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement