Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indicators on Bicycle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I find them useful anyway. Everyone else is getting by just fine without them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

White facing rear?

tenor.gif

I used to use yellow, but they seem to have discontinued those, so it's a choice between white and red, and they're facing front and to the side most of the time, as they're on the handlebars most of the time.

You're the second person to point that out this week, by a strange coincidence. And, like, ever, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    ....Everyone else is getting by just fine without them though!
    Yes, they seem to be a solution for a problem which doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is a problem with lack of fixed indicators though. You cannot choose which brake to use whilst slowing for a turn.

I don't think it's important enough to fit indicators, but it is nonetheless a problem, particularly downhill in the wet.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    There is a problem with lack of fixed indicators though. You cannot choose which brake to use whilst slowing for a turn....
    Indeed but I suppose I'll prioritise indicating right over left and I can still use my rear brake with my arm raised when turning right. On a very steep descent I'd probably take a glance back first and not indicate if I need to keep both hands on the bars/brakes or, if there is something behind, take up position early, indicate early and then return both hands to the bars prior to turning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

one issue with those lights is that i suspect that theoretically if a garda saw you using one, you could then be done for not indicating correctly before making a turn (though i have to actually confirm if the law states a cyclist must indicate with a hand signal).

Road position is also to be taken as an indication, not sure if it was covered in the road law thread but that was my understanding and at the back of my mind, i think it is in law but could be wrong.

For example, if on the left hand side of a roadway, it should be taken as a presumption that you are turning left or going straight on. If in the middle of the roadway, it should be taken that you could be goign left, straight on or right. Finally, I think some of you will guess, if to the right of the roadway, it should be taken as a sign you are going right or straight on.

In practice, this should make little difference to other road users.

i was once given out to at a junction for not indicating. I was in the right hand turn lane, and turning right surprisingly. I had indicated into the lane and continued indicating until stopped (traffic lights). The car went ballistic and actually pulled in and jumped out to give out to me for not indicating. Now regardless of whether I was or was not in the wrong (which I don't think I was, how and ever). If a driver behind me is confused about where I, a cyclist, maybe going, as I sit at the top of a right hand turn only lane, then there is simply sweet f*** all hope for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Everyone is p*ssed off at others not obeying the rules of the road.

Pedestrians dislike cyclists not indicating
    Cyclists dislike motorists for not leaving enough room or not indicating
    Motorists dislike cyclists for weaving in and out of traffic.
    Cyclists and motorists dislike pedestrians for jaywalking.
    Pedestrians dislike motorists for not obeying lights and pedestrian crossings.

There is fault on all sides and it p*sses off people on all sides.

Totally agree, if we all just did the basics the road would be a better place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Indeed but I suppose I'll prioritise indicating right over left and I can still use my rear brake with my arm raised when turning right. On a very steep descent I'd probably take a glance back first and not indicate if I need to keep both hands on the bars/brakes or, if there is something behind, take up position early, indicate early and then return both hands to the bars prior to turning.

Right, but it's not ideal. A good example of this is the following turn off the road down to Kilmac.

https://goo.gl/maps/Az3bdjNZxZ52

It's a fast descent to a very slow turn.

As I said, it's not a problem I care enough to attempt to fix, but if bicycles had power and wiring looms they'd have indicators just like motorcycles do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

How did you manage when we had down tube shifters?

Don't change gear while turning a corner perhaps?

• Advertisement

This is all very academic surely. If your turning you should have slowed enough to make the turn, well in advance, meaning you can then continue to indicate and use either front or rear brakes if needed.

We appear to be looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Right, but it's not ideal. A good example of this is the following turn off the road down to Kilmac.

https://goo.gl/maps/Az3bdjNZxZ52

It's a fast descent to a very slow turn.

As I said, it's not a problem I care enough to attempt to fix, but if bicycles had power and wiring looms they'd have indicators just like motorcycles do.
    Yes, it's a fast one alright. I think I'd just take up a position near the center early and hope to get the message across.

I'd be skeptical about small indicators on a bike as I don't think most motorist would see them or be expecting them especially in daylight. I'd prefer my arm or road position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

if bicycles had power and wiring looms they'd have indicators just like motorcycles do.

Mine does but hasn't. Has a brake light though...

CramCycle wrote: »
    This is all very academic surely. If you're turning you should have slowed enough to make the turn, well in advance, meaning you can then continue to indicate and use either front or rear brakes if needed.

A lot of roads in Dublin are in a bad condition. I'd rather not be taking turns with one hand on the handle bars, or slowing to a crawl either.
    Continuing to signal your turn, while taking the turn is pointless and unnecessary.

Effects wrote: »
    A lot of roads in Dublin are in a bad condition. I'd rather not be taking turns with one hand on the handle bars, or slowing to a crawl either.
    Continuing to signal your turn, while taking the turn is pointless and unnecessary.

No need to signal as your turning, do what motorists never do anymore and signal before the turn. I always have my hands on the bars mid turn. If they don't know where your going then, they never will and indicating would be pointless. Indicate before the turn, move into position and make the turn. The bit about slowing down was for Lumens example of a sharp turn on a descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    What's wrong with your arms?

You have to concede some control while engaging the manoeuvre.

Imagine driving your car and rolling down the window to indicate while you turn

bilbot79 wrote: »
    You have to concede some control while engaging the manoeuvre.

Imagine driving your car and rolling down the window to indicate while you turn

Perfectly legitimate way to indicate in a car, and one that you are expected to know for your driving test.

Perfectly legitimate way to indicate in a car, and one that you are expected to know for your driving test.

But not one that you are expected to do on a normal basis.

Plus, it's dangerous for the cyclist to have to take their hand off the bike. They are very vulnerable.

No need to signal as your turning, do what motorists never do anymore and signal before the turn. I always have my hands on the bars mid turn. If they don't know where your going then, they never will and indicating would be pointless

Sorry, your posts suggested to me that you would continue to indicate while taking the turn. No worries.

But not one that you are expected to do on a normal basis.
    One your expected to know all of the time though. Not difficult or dangerous either.
    Plus, it's dangerous for the cyclist to have to take their hand off the bike. They are very vulnerable.
    Its not very dangerous at all but it is dangerous not to indicate in certain situations. Road position as always will make it clear if you have the confidence, but if you are confident using road position as an indicator, you are most likely confident to take one hand off the handlebar.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Sorry, your posts suggested to me that you would continue to indicate while taking the turn. No worries.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, on a roundabout I do because some people are muppets but on a simple left or right turn, once you've indicated upto the turn from a reasonable distance before, there isn't a need as either people have paid attention or they haven't, your road position in and of itself being a good indicator.

One your expected to know all of the time though. Not difficult or dangerous either.

Its not very dangerous at all but it is dangerous not to indicate in certain situations. Road position as always will make it clear if you have the confidence, but if you are confident using road position as an indicator, you are most likely confident to take one hand off the handlebar.

First point = Irrelevant
    Second point = Incorrect, it is dangerous to take your hand of the handlebars

Yeah, I often keep signalling on a roundabout. Some drivers will just pull out regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

it is dangerous to take your hand of the handlebars

As dangerous as driving with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding coffee/changing gears/texting/changing radio/etc ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a weird whataboutery sort of point.

that's a weird whataboutery sort of point.

It is but it is a fair point, there is a guy in town who cycles round without one arm without issue as far as I can see.

it is not dangerous, unless you make it dangerous. If you can't indicate and cycle with one hand off the bar for an essentially short piece of time, you may need to go to a local open area and practice a bit before going out on the road.

It takes a split second to put your hand back on the bars if needed, in other cases, use your road position to indicate where you are going, although this requires a far higher level of trust in your other road users and presumably more confidence.

The wrist lights I use don't really solve the (as everyone said, minor-ish) problem of having to remove your hand from the brake to indicate.

Their usefulness as indicators is generally also modest, though more relevant to right turns than left.

Where they're useful enough that I've continued to use them for quite a few years is side-on visibility (e.g. motorists pulling out from side streets, or waiting to enter roundabouts) and head-on visibility (e.g. motorists not seeing you waiting to turn right on a multilane road and bearing down on you by dint of not keeping to their lane).

Think of them primarily as a light you can quickly and easily wave around a bit.

I can think of one occasion where a giant truck (Argos, I think) was bearing down on me as I was waiting in the right-hand lane on the North Circular Road, waiting to go into the Phoenix Park. The truck was going at a really reckless speed (it was very late) and was swinging wide to turn left down Infirmary Road. So I started waving like mad, as I was right in the turning path, and the driver hadn't seen me. Then he braked hard, and all was well.

He might have seen me in time anyway, but I think the wrist lights are handy for oaccasions like that, which occur frequently enough, albeit very rarely as dramatic as that time. (I don't spend my time gesticulating frantically.)

Cycling with one hand is fine on a smooth surface, I think? Except on a Brompton, I find. Very twitchy steering. I remember cycling home with a sliced pan one day under my arm, and it wasn't much fun, though I wasn't going far. I have a homemade basket I use now. I'm not going to bore everyone anymore with my dorky inventions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭ULMarc

I'd say if you stick with hand signals you'll do fine. It's a natural motion, it's familiar to other road users, and it's cheap.

I find that the more you can reduce extra equipment on your commute the more pleasant your experience will be. Just sticking with basic gear in winter can already be a chore, never mind additional items that need batteries.

Having said that, if you do happen to be buying a pair a gloves then a bright colour, or a pair with reflective elements, would be a benefit. A high vis windbreaker will also make both you and your arm positions more visible.

And enjoy it, Limerick's not a bad spot for the old cycle commuting.

Advertisement