Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2019

• 26-04-2018 9:55am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Before the 2018 thread gets confused with questions on how to enter the 2019 event I figured it's already time for the new thread even before everyones legs have recovered from this year.

The 2018 incarnation of the thread can be found here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057733903

How to enter London 2019, main methods used by people here in bold:

Elite entry - run superfast and be invited.
    Championship - run sub 1:15 half or sub 2:45 full for men, or sub 1:30 half or sub 3:15 full for women. Must also be a paid up member of a UK Athletics affiliated running club. Not all UK running clubs are affiliated to the correct body.
    Good For Age - run one of the times listed on this page appropriate for your age category and have a UK address. They don't care about nationality, just that you have a UK address and the time. You need to apply for this between 1 August 2018 and 16:00 on 10 August 2018 and must have run the qualifying time between 1 January 2017 and 10 August 2018. New for this year is that getting the time will not guarantee a place anymore and the places will be limited to 3000 male and 3000 female. They have not fully described how they will assign these places if over subscribed, but expect it to be along the lines that they remove the slowest qualifying times from each age group until they reach the limit of 3000 entries.
    They actually recommend that people applying for GFA places for 2019 also enter the ballot as GFA is not guaranteed. This will barely increase you chances of getting a place but if you are only just inside your qualifying time is probably a good idea.
    Ballot - enter the UK ballot. Again you'll need a UK address, but time doesn't matter. https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/
    Ballot must be entered between Monday 30 April and 17:00 on Friday 4 May
    International Ballot - enter the overseas ballot. Less places available but worth a punt, you should be able to get away with entering the UK and overseas ballot without being noticed once you have appropriate address details for both entries. Same entry dates, Monday 30 April and closes at 17:00 on Friday 4 May.
    Charity - find a charity who has places, convince them you can raise the cash, they give you a place. Will probably be in the region of a couple of thousand pounds you'd need to raise.

It's great just being able to copy and paste the post from one year to the next. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As this is relevant to how the new GFA places will be allocated this is a re-post from the 2018 thread of the numbers I pulled from the 2017/18 results. Also of note is that elsewhere on the internet someone had managed to pull numbers from RunBritain for all UK marathoners in 2017 in the SM category and there were about 1900 sub 3 times. This makes the 3000 limit a bit closer to being hit than based on just the VMLM numbers, but there will still be a significant number of Championship entries within those numbers:

Here is the number of Men running the new GFA standard in 2017 and 2018. Numbers seriously impacted by the heat, but the good news is that the 3000 per gender limit may not be such an issue after all, especially as 500+ of the 2017 GFA times were within the Championship standard so can mostly be excluded.
    |Men|2017 Men|2018 Men
    18-39|sub 3:00|1093|711
    40-44|sub 3:05|541|277
    45-49|sub 3:10|407|234
    50-54|sub 3:15|302|150
    55-59|sub 3:20|138|64
    60-64|sub 3:45|103|81
    65-69|sub 4:00|58|33
    70-74|sub 5:00|83|57
    75-79|sub 5:15|?|?
    80+|sub 5:30|?|?
    Total GFA||2725|1607

The results were not playing ball for me to get the Womens times, and they don't separate out the V70+ categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Is it worth a chance to apply with a friend’s UK address or Parcel Motel address?

I don’t live in the UK, at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

I did that once with a friend in Scotland, she paid the entry fee then with a uk cheque & all correspondence went through her address so all looked kosher. Not sure if that still works though as they seem to have got more picky.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm in - deferred ballot place. Judging by the weather this year I'm lucky I wasn't running!

5th marathon, 2nd London. Got ballot places on my 6th and 7th ballot attempts.

I am slow and fat, training with 2 kids under 3 and aiming to beat my 2017 time of 4:53.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I will entering via the ballot again this year, presumably to a third or fourth (not sure, I've lost count) rejection. Wish the results were out quicker which least with the Berlin rejection it didn't seem to take so long. In better news if those GFA times hold steady (and I don't improve/disprove) I'll be lining up for London 2042....nice. Surely the odds on the ballot will work on my favour before then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm also in already with a deferred GFA place.

I will need to have a decent run in London 2019 as my current times won't count for 2020, and whatever time I run in my backup marathon this coming June will count as an age group below what I'll actually be in 2020. If I can get a time in 2019 though that will be in the correct age group for the following year and I'll gain 5 extra minutes to make getting a place a tiny bit safer.

This is the first time since I first got GFA qualification that I don't actually have a current valid time for the next two years already in the pocket at the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Will be my 9th year of ballots - one success in 2015. A few of those years are doubles - UK & International. Worth the try every year! I'll wait with eager anticipation for the October results! !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've signed up for my annual rejection email ....

I prefer the Berlin ballot. At least there's a realistic chance of being picked as an overseas runner (mea culpa. I should have started running whilst still living in the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Same for me annual rejection application submitted. Must find out what constitutes as proving a UK address; even after all my years hear I still have a bank account which may be sufficient for proof!

Two rejections instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Signed up twice (overseas and parcel motel) exactly as last year. Now the long wait for rejection emails! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I've signed up for my annual rejection email ....

I prefer the Berlin ballot. At least there's a realistic chance of being picked as an overseas runner (mea culpa. I should have started running whilst still living in the UK)

Surely you have a GFA time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Threw my name in the hat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

In for the overseas ballot, now to plan for the actual spring marathon I'll run instead of London!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Same for me annual rejection application submitted. Must find out what constitutes as proving a UK address; even after all my years hear I still have a bank account which may be sufficient for proof!

UK ballot entry in. I....erm.... still live at home with my mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I was in London this year as a GFA. I was just asked to provide proof of identity (Irish passport), proof of residence (Council tax bill) and my proof of finish time in a recent marathon which was Dublin 2017. If you are familiar with the "shop" that does "photo" then you will have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mashavsl

Hey guys.
    Applying for the first time. Could you please clarify, if I live in Ireland, do I need to enter as an Overseas? I don't want to use travel agency for my trip.

Can use my friend's address in the UK or Parcelmotel address?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

mashavsl wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    Applying for the first time. Could you please clarify, if I live in Ireland, do I need to enter as an Overseas? I don't want to use travel agency for my trip.

Can use my friend's address in the UK or Parcelmotel address?
    Cheers!

Much greater chance of success with UK Ballot entry (use friends address I reckon). And if you've a second email address, why not chuck in an overseas entry too!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will enter with an international and uk address. Will still get my annual rejection letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Done and awaiting my usual fate in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I'm in again, for the usual no vote. Not sure how many years it's been a no

I may have asked this in previous years but where's best to book a hotel? Would close to the finish be the best option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am now in the international and domestic ballot.

So two rejections for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭tmh106

I am now in the Overseas ballot - does anyone know how many places are actually allocated to the Overseas ballot?

I notice on the terms and conditions that it says having two entries will disqualify you? Does that apply only if you enter twice into the same ballot (i.e. twice in Overseas ballot or twice in UK ballot). And has anyone entered UK ballot using NI Parcel Motel address, or are they wise to that?

Thanks.

colin32 wrote: »
    I'm in again, for the usual no vote. Not sure how many years it's been a no

I may have asked this in previous years but where's best to book a hotel? Would close to the finish be the best option?

Area around the finish is manic all day, tubes jammed. You will get free travel up to 17.00 on marathon day if you show your number. Earls Court/Fulham area is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Area around the finish is manic all day, tubes jammed. You will get free travel up to 17.00 on marathon day if you show your number. Earls Court/Fulham area is grand.

Ibis in Earl's Court if booked early normally is a steal

Ibis in Earl's Court if booked early normally is a steal

Yep thats where I stayed this year, great value if booked early. Excellent breakfast and they do a big pot of porridge on marathon morning. Breakfast is available from 5.30am if you are up that early

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I'm I right in saying that I can enter the overseas ballot and try the GFA in August (do i need UK address for this?

You do need a UK address for the GFA entry. If you are 5 minutes or more within your qualifying time though you should be OK with getting a place, remember though that it is your age when you ran the time that will count for what category you are in. Not the age on London Marathon day in 2019.

• I entered the International Ballot. Seems from what I've read here, that I'm wasting my time.
    Must look up a couple of other international marathons for around March/April

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I entered the International Ballot. Seems from what I've read here, that I'm wasting my time.
    Must look up a couple of other international marathons for around March/April

Rotterdam, Barcelona, Paris are good options around that timeframe apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

I entered the International Ballot. Seems from what I've read here, that I'm wasting my time. Must look up a couple of other international marathons for around March/April

Ran Manchester this year
    Would recommend

Pros - Fast, flat, cool weather, cheap to get to

Cons - full of Mancs

:)

Advertisement