Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

I'll add bits throughout the day to this! :D

Slope of a Line
    Draw this up yourself as I go through it so you can follow it easily =]

Step 1
    Remember this equation: Slope = the change in y divided by the change in x.
    Step 2
    Let's use that equation to find the slope of a line with two points: (5,7) and (10, 22). The change in y is 22 - 7 = 15. The change in x is 10 -5 = 5. 15/5 = 3.

Step 3

But what happens if you don't have two points, just an equation?
    4x-2y+16=0. You can find the slope two ways. The long way and the easy way!

Step 4
    The long way: Find two points on the line. First let x=0:
    4(0)- 2y + 16 = 0. Solve for y. 0 - 2y + 16 = 0; -2y = -16; y = 8.
    Now you have one point on your line: (0,8).
    Next, let y=0:
    4x - 2(0) + 16 = o. Solve for x: 4x + 16 = 0; 4x = -16; x = -4.
    Now you have the second point on your line: (-4, 0).

Now use your line slope formula with these two points: Change in y = 8 - 0 = 8. Change in x = -4 -0 = -4. 8/-4 = -2. Your slope is -2.

Step 5
    The Easy way: Look at you equation again -
    4x - 2y + 16 = 0.

If we can change it to the line format, we can easily see the slope. Change the equation to the format y = mx + b. All you need to do is get y by itself on one side of the equation:
    -2y + 16 = -4x; -2y = -4x - 16; y = -2x + 8.
    The slope of the line is m. Compare the equation y = mx + b and your re-arranged equation. Which number in that equation is m? -2. So there's no calculations, just a little bit of re-arranging and you have your slope =]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Right so ill just throw up the normal conjugations first, irregulars after =)

Present tense
    Endings

Je, Tu, Il, Elle, Nous, Vous, Ils/Elles.
    Regular endings for -er verbs= -e, -es, -e, -e, -ons, -ez, -ent.
    Endings for -ir verbs = -s, -s, -t, -t, -issons, -issez, -issent.
    Endings for -re verbs = -s, -s, -t, -t, -ons, -ez, -issent.

Examples:

Finir
    Je finis
    Tu finis
    Il/Elle finit
    Nous finissons
    Vous finissez
    Ils/Elles Finissent

Travailler
    Je travaille
    Tu travailles
    Il/elle travaille
    Nous travaillons
    Vous travaillez
    Ils/Elles travaillent

Prendre
    Je prends
    Tu prends
    Il/elle prend
    Nous prendons
    Vous prendez
    Ils/elles prendez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

The rest of these Irish notes:

Críoch na litreach
    - Feicfidh mé thú in gceann míosa/seachtaine = I'll see you in a months/weeks time
    - Cuirfidh mé glaoch ort an tseachtain seo chugainn/ag an dearieadh seachtaine = I'll call you next week/at the weekend
    - Abair le do dheirfiúr/do dheartháir go raibh mé a cur a tuairsce/a thuairisce = tell your sister/brother I was asking for her/him
    - Tá gach duine anseo as cur do thuairisce = Everybody here is asking for you
    - Níl a thuilleadh le rá agam = I have nothing left to say
    - Caithfidh mé imeacht anois = I must go now
    - Níl m'obair bhaile críochnaithe go fóill agam = I haven't got my homework finished yet
    - Tá mo mháthais ag glaoch orm don dinnéar = My mother is calling me for dinner
    - Tá m'aintín ag teacht ar cuairt = My aunt is coming to visit
    - Caithfidh mé slán a fhágáil leat anois = I must say goodbye now
    - Táim ag tnúth le litir uait= I'm looking forward to a letter from you
    - Idir an dá inn, tabhair aire duit féin = In the meantime, look after yourself
    - Scríobh ar ais chugam go luath/gan mhall/le casadh an phoist = Write back soon/without delay/by return post
    - Ná déan moill, scríobh chugam = don't delay, write to me!
    - Tá súil agam go bhfeicfidh Mé go luath thú = I hope I see you soon
    - Cuir glaohc orm anocht = Call me tonight
    - Beidh mé ag caint leat an tseachtain seo chugainn = I will be talking to you next week

Some more English poetry notes:

The Thinnes of Ice
    Lix Loxley

Theme
    ·Relationships

Title
    The title is particularly interesting because of it’s literal and metaphorical meaning. The “ice” acts as a metaphor for relationships while the “thinness” of ice suggests the fragile and delicate nature of relationships. Eventually, the ice melts and this mirrors the relationship eventually ending.

Theme
    The theme of this poem is relationships and the poet depicts the fragile and transient nature of relationships. The poet traces the beginning, development and ending of this relationship through the use of an effective simile: ice skaters represent the individuals .The simile of the skaters learning to skate as a pair is used to describe the nature of how the relationship progresses. From the beginning of this poem, the ice symbolises the strength of love between these two individuals. However, by the end the ice represents a barrier and sense of awkwardness between them.

Symbolism
    Simile of the skaters. Loxley refers to the skill of skating to highlight the development and demise (breakdown) of the relationship .She contrasts the persistence and endurance of the skaters – willing to learn and improve – to the transient relationship of the two individuals. The popular phrase “skating on thin ice” comes to mind when reading the latter part of this poem.

Structure
    • 6 stanzas
    • Each represents a significant stage of the relationship
    -between the skaters

-between the individuals
    • The reader can easily trace the development and demise of the rel. by viewing the opening words of each stanza:
    1.“At first…”
    2.“At first…”
    3.“Later…”
    4.“Later…” *Note the poets careful choice
    5.“Last of all…” of words
    6.“Last of all…”

Mood and Tone
    • The mood is quite high-spirited and exciting at the beginning of the poem but changes to become quite low-spirited and sad towards the end.
    • There is a hint of inevitability from beg. to end and a strong sense of regret and sadness.
    • The tone is sometimes quite scheming in nature, hence the poet’s deliberate use of brackets to indicate private thoughts: “(Though secretly I’ll be hoping…)”, “(Though secretly perhaps we may be hoping…)”

Language
    • Simple, yet effective
    • Carefully chosen words and phrases e.g. “scramble”, “steady thaw”, “creeping cracks”, “acquaintance”, “jealous”, “break the ice”
    • Clever use of similes – “like skaters”
    -“like children”
    • Clever use of metaphors – “the thickness of ice”
    - “the thinness of ice”
    • Double meanings in most lines:
    1. 5&6 “At first we’ll be like skaters
    Testing the thickness of ice”
    2. 11&12 “The triple jumps and spins
    Will become an old routine”
    3. 14&15 “Later we will not notice the steady thaw
    The creeping cracks will be ignored”
    4. 21 “Hurt by missing out on a medal”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Thanks Áine! I lost my notes for "The Thinness Of Ice" so those will come in handy! There's also no notes at all about that poem on the net. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

magicianz wrote: »
    Prendre
    Je prends
    Tu prends
    Il/elle prend
    Nous prendons
    Vous prendez
    Ils/elles prendez

Make sure what you're posting is 100% correct because people will be revising some of these:)

It's:

Nous Prenons
    Vous Prenez
    Ils/Elles Prennent

Mirror
    Sylvia Plath

Theme
    • Ageing, the ageing process, individual facing a dilemma in her life
    • The speaker of this poem is an inanimate object – a mirror. The poet personifies the mirror and presents it as a living thing, a character with thoughts, ideas and emotions. The mirror possesses human traits such as faithfulness and jealousy. It also has a relationship of some kind with it’s owner, she relies on the mirror, it is “important” to her.

Stanza 1
    Lines 1-5
    • The mirror’s function is to provide an “exact” and definite reflection of whatever stands before it. It is “exact”, with “no preconceptions”, “is unmisted by love or dislike” and “truthful”. In other words, the mirror is unbiased, impartial and a neutral observer.
    • There is also a sinister and threatening presence about the mirror. We see this when it describes itself swallowing everything that is put in front of it: “whatever I see I swallow immediately”. There is something threatening about this notion of the mirror devouring all it sees.
    • The mirrors depiction of itself as a kind of god adds to our sense of the mirror having a sinister presence, suggesting that it is the ruler or master of those who examine their reflection in it’s surface: “the eye of a little god, four-cornered”
    Lines 6-9
    • The mirror informs us that it spends it’s time reflecting the wall opposite it. It meditates, suggesting examinating the wall with the intense focus of someone engaged in meditation. The mirror has spent so long “meditating” in this way that it now believes the pink wall is actually part of itself: “I have looked at it so long, I think it is a part of my heart”. The only thing that separates them is “faces and darkness”.

Stanza 2
    Lines 10-11
    • An interesting metaphor is used to describe the woman’s attempts at self-discovery. The mirror is compared to “a lake” and the woman to someone on the lake shore, staring into the water’s murky depths: “Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me, searching my reaches for what she really is”.
    • On one level, this comparison is obvious. Like a lake, the mirror has a reflective surface. However, this comparison also introduces an element of danger, where lakes can be treacherous and have hidden depths. It is possible to drown in such a lake, reminding us of the mirror’s claim to “swallow everything it sees”.
    Lines 12-16
    · The woman and the mirror seem to depend on each other. The mirror needs the woman to examine her reflection in it’s surface otherwise it will have nothing to look at but the pink wall opposite and darkness. The woman also needs the mirror: “I am important to her”. It is important on two levels to check her physical appearance but also the mirror is important in a spiritual or psychological sense. She seems to gaze into the mirror and is gripped by a fit of loneliness and despair: “she rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.”
    · A sense of jealousy and resentment develops when the woman turns “to those liars, the candles or the moon”. The mirror feels hurt and betrayed but remains faithful to her, loyally reflecting her back.
    · The woman is portrayed as a troubled soul, perhaps a lonely person. She seems to have lost her way in life and lost her sense of identity. Now she attempts to rediscover herself, to find out “what she really is”.
    Lines 17-18
    · The final two lines focus on the theme of old age and death. The mirror has recorded the slow and gradual ageing process of the woman. The traces of her younger beauty have become fainter and now “an old woman rises towards her day after day”.
    · The mirror uses a striking metaphor to describe this process, saying that the woman has “drowned a young girl” in it’s depths. Once again the mirror is a lake and the woman is a person gazing into it’s depths.
    · With each passing day the woman is becoming closer towards the identity of an old woman. Once again a powerful metaphor is used to depict this process. Old age is a fish swimming out of the lake’s depths and rising towards the woman. There is something unsettling and disturbing in this depiction of old age as “a terrible fish”, as some monstrous creature that all of us will someday have to face.

Language
    · Use of “I” prominent = personification. (do not see woman’s view, mirror is speaking)
    · “I” used in stanza 2 also, role of mirror developed = personified not as mirror but as a lake
    · Important word in every line e.g. exact”, “swallow”
    · Use of opposing words e.g. “exact”/ “preconception”, “love”/ “dislike”, “cruel”/ “truthful”
    · Strong words e.g. “unmisted” = transparent/precise, “god” = power, “little”/ “god” = opposites
    · use of assertive language
    · “liars” = angry, aggressive tone
    · “faithfully”/ “liars” = opposing words
    · “tears”, “agitation” = describe emotion
    · “young girl” / “old woman” contrasting = careful phrasing
    · “drowned”, “terrible”, = strong words
    · certain phrases reflect transience of time e.g. “over and over”, “she comes and goes”, “day after day”
    · mirror can not stop transition of time
    · simile = fish
    · metaphor = lake

LIGHTNING
    Brendan Kenelly
    Point of View
    Lightning’s point of view

Narrator
    Lightning itself narrates.1st person – Use of “I”

Use of Personification
    Lightning is personified. “I light up heaven”, “I am a mere moment”, “I illumine the sky”

Use of run-on lines
    “At a decent distance
    From the heads of men
    I happen
    And am gone”

Use of vivid descriptive images
    1. “A dramatic braggart of light”
    This image highlights the dazzling display of light that lightning shows us.
    2. “A mere moment”
    This image reflects the speed of lightning
    3. “flush through their fears, spotlight their joys”
    This image shows us how lightning becomes a part of the human world and affects their emotion

· This poem is cleverly built on opposing ideas
    1. “happen”/ “gone”
    2. “light”/ “dark”
    3. “exhibitionist”, “braggart”/ “private”
    4. “dramatic”/ “mere”
    5. “fears”/ “joys”
    6. “quiet”/ “noise”

· The final phrase features a paradox. A contradictory statement when first read. Lightning describes himself as “quiet” and “private”, yet unable to escape from the “noise” it creates.

Use of rhetorical questions
    “You think I must be something of an exhibitionist, A dramatic braggart of light”
    A question posed when an answer is not specifically required .The question answers itself.

Use of alliteration
    · “decent distance”
    · “ heads of men I happen”
    · “define the dark”
    · “a mere moment”
    · “between this and that”
    · “I illumine the sky”
    · “Flush through their fears”
    · “how I light up heaven

Use of assonance
    · “the heads of men”
    · “I illumine the sky”
    · “quiet and private”

The Wild Swans at Coole
    William Butler Yeats
    Yeats is visiting Coole Park in Galway. As he stands by the lake’s edge on a beautiful autumn evening looking at the swans that have gathered in the water, he is overcome by a powerful feeling of loss and loneliness. It is nineteen years since he first counted the swans. The swans appear to be as youthful and graceful as when he first saw them, while he has grown old and is alone.

Theme
    • Lost love
    • Loneliness
    • Passing of time

• The day is coming to an end; the year is coming to an end. The swans appear to be as unchanged and mysterious as they were when the poet first saw them nineteen years before. However, in that time he has grown old and has entered the “autumn” years of his life.
    • The poet does not tell us directly why his “heart is sore” but if we look at his description of the swans we find some clues to his sadness. He has no one to share the sight of the swans with him and this saddens him “lover by lover they paddle in cold companionable streams”

Imagery
    • Yeats evokes a beautiful autumnal scene as he walks on the woodland paths. The water acts a mirror and reflects the sky perfectly. This image also gives us a hint of the poet’s state of mind as he sees the swans gathering on the lake. It is also worth noting that there are fifty-nine swans, which means that one swan is alone.
    • The poet watches by the lakes edge and begins to count the swans. But, before he is finished, the peace of the moment is shattered when the swans “suddenly mount” and fly into the air. The swans are enduring symbols do grace, strength, beauty and loyalty. The image of “great broken rings” suggests their freedom and power as they soar above the poet. Their sudden flight disturbs the calm surface of the poem and causes the poet to reflect on how much his life has changed in the years since he first saw them. The vitality and strength of the swans forms a comparison to his own feelings of tiredness and solitude.
    • Final stanza. The poem returns again to the tranquil image of the swans afloat on the lake having returned from their “clamorous” flight. Peace is restored. The poet realises that some day the swans will not be there when he returns. This final image sums up his sense of loss and the poem ends with the uncertainty of a question.

Language
      • Assonance
      The calm and tranquil mood of the poem is enhanced by the use of assonance. In the first stanza of the poem we find this effect in the repetition of the “i” and “y” sounds. Combined with rhyme, the assonance here helps to convey the tranquillity and lightness of the scene.
        • Rhyme
        The poem is a beautiful melodic poem with an intricate rhyming scheme. With the “stones” and “swans” we hear the repetition of the “s” and “n” sounds, with “dry” and “sky” we have the repetition of the “y” sound.
          • Symbolism
          · The setting of the poem is a walk on an autumn evening and the colour and texture of the poem is autumnal. But autumn is also used to suggest that the poet is growing older, that he is entering the autumn of his life. The fact that the poem takes place at twilight also reinforces this – the day is coming to an end and nightfall is approaching.
          · The second symbols are the swans. They appear in every stanza and are never out of the poet’s view. They are a symbol of youth and lasting love. Even after nineteen years the swans swim “lover by lover” and “their hearts have not grown old”. But the poet’s heart has grown old. He was once “unwearied” and in love but now he is growing old alone.
            • Tone
            The tone of the 1st stanza is calm. The poet is quiet as he looks at the swans not wanting to disturb the beautiful scene. The tranquillity of the poet is broken when the swans “suddenly mount” and the image of the swans quietly floating on the lake is replaced by the sound of their “clamorous wings”. This sudden movement of the swans disturbs the calm and tranquil tone of the poem. The poet is reminded that “all’s changed” since he first saw them nineteen years before, We hear a note of weariness in the lines “and now my heart is sore. All’s changed since I, hearing at twilight, the first time on this shore”. In the final stanza, the swans have settled again by the still waters of the lake, but the poet realises that one day they will fly away and this confirms his sense of sadness and loneliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Thank you Aine. :)

• Advertisement

RML wrote: »
            Thank you Aine. :)

No problem. They're all the poetry notes I have typed so far. I have about 4 more poems but I keep forgetting to bring them home with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Can I just say fair play to you all for swapping notes. This is great to see!!

So many people hoard stuff to themselves these days - well done!! :)

do you make these notes by yourself ?

peanuthead wrote: »
            Can I just say fair play to you all for swapping notes. This is great to see!!

So many people hoard stuff to themselves these days - well done!! :)

Well when we're done with them, may aswell let someone else get some use out of them.

do you make these notes by yourself ?

No:o. They're all stuff that we've taken down from teachers or sheets that we've been given.

No:o. They're all stuff that we've taken down from teachers or sheets that we've been given.

Well, your teachers atleast does that...:eek:
            We never do that kind of notes:(...

I've to say they are very good and well worth it.:D

Well, your teachers atleast does that...:eek:
            We never do that kind of notes:(...

I've to say they are very good and well worth it.:D

Most of them are from our old English teacher. She's either coming back on Monday or in two weeks, so rumour has it.

The last section fo my English poetry notes:

A Christmas Childhood
            Patrick Kavanagh
            Section I
            · This poem deals with the magic, mystery and innocence of childhood. It describes how the most ordinary, everyday things can appear wonderful to children.
            · Kavanagh recalls sights and sounds from his own childhood that filled him with wonder. He remembers the following things:
            - white frost on one side of the potato pits
            - the musical sounds of the paling post
            - a ray of light beaming between bales of hay and straw
            - tracks made by cattle
            - “a green stone lying sideways in a ditch”
            • Kavanagh can remember what it felt like to be a child, a “gay garden”, a happy and innocent time filled with wonder. He believes that in the eyes of a child, “any common sight” can be “transfigured” or filled with mystery and beauty.
            Section II
            • The poet remembers a particular Christmas morning from his childhood. We know it is very early as the stars are still in the sky. It is so cold that ice has formed in the potholes.
            • The poet specifically remembers his father playing the, melodeon and his mother milking the cows.
            • The poet conveys something of the anticipation and excitement that he felt on that morning: “as I pulled on my trousers in a hurry, I knew something strange had happened”
            • As he looks out the door, his imagination takes over: to him, the stars seem to be dancing to his father’s music; the noise of the cows being milked also has a musical quality; to the poet, the stable is compared to where Jesus was born. The light that his mother uses is compared to the star of Bethlehem: “the light of her stable lamp was a star and the frost of Bethlehem made it twinkle”: three bushes on the horizon swaying in the wind remind the young child of the “Three Wise Kings”
            • The magical nature of this specific memory is interrupted by the screeching of “a water-hen” and by the sound of “mass-going feet” crunching “the wafer-ice on the potholes”.
            • We are reminded that even as a child, Kavanagh was already viewing the world through a poet’s eyes: “my child poet picked out the letters on the grey stone, in silver the wonder of a Christmas townland”
            • After his vision of the three wise kings on their way to worship the baby Jesus, the poet is again interrupted with reality, an old man passes by who comments on his father’s skill as a melodeon player.
            • The child is proud of the penknife he possibly got for Christmas. It makes him feel grown up: “I was six Christmases of age”.
            • As he looks over this winter townland, he says a prayer to the Virgin Mary. He sees the prayer as his gift like the gift of a “white rose pinned on the Virgin Mary’s blouse”

Imagery
            • This poem is dominated with sentimental/powerful/biblical/striking/strong/effective/descriptive imagery.
              • Light (stanza 1) symbolising a ray of light from heaven
              • Fruit tree (stanza 1) symbolic of the tree of knowledge.
              • Eating fruit (stanza 1) symbolises temptation = loss of innocence
              • “The gay garden that was childhood’s” is symbolic of childhood innocence
              • Stars in the morning east symbolise the Star of Bethlehem, create a sense of happiness
              • Light of his mothers stable lamp becomes the star of Bethlehem
              • Three whin bushes become the Three Wise Kings
              • Six nicks are symbols of his age
              • His prayer is symbolic of a gift to the Virgin Mary.

Childhood
            • The power of a child’s imagination is movingly illustrated when the young poet sees the story of Christmas come alive in the fields before him.
            • This poem captures the magical nature of Christmas in the eyes of a child. He describes waking excitedly on Christmas morning. He seems delighted with his penknife and proud to understand the meaning of Christmas.
            • This poem also laments the fact that childhood innocence cannot last forever. The poet suggests that as we grow older and acquire more knowledge of the world around us, we lose the ability to see the world as a wonderful, magical place.
            • The poet compares the loss of this childhood innocence to the banishment of Adam Garden of Eden. Childhood is seen as a lost garden of innocence to which the poet can never return. We can remember what it was like to be a child but we can never experience childhood innocence again.

Mid-Term Break
            Seamus Heaney
            • A personal first person account
            • His first personal experience of death, is relayed to us, the reader
            • Use if the word “I” throughout = personal

Stanza 1-2
            A shocked sense of sadness surrounds these stages
            Stanza 3-4
            The young boy (the speaker) is sympathised with by neighbours
            - he is almost forced to grow up
            - he is almost treated as an adult and a support to his parents
            Stanza 5
            Highly emotional
            - mixed emotions described

Stanza 6
            Peaceful, calm feeling
            - tender and intimate moment
            • Heaney wrote this poem as a reflection on the death of his infant brother.
            • The title has multiple meanings – literal meaning (school break) and metaphorical meaning (a break within the family).
            • Heaney brings the reader with him as he has to walk into his house, through the porch to meet his father, big Jim Evans, the baby in the pram, the old men and finally his mother.
            • There is a notable contrast between the way the mother and father react to their son’s death: the mother is angry, trying to restrain her emotions while the father is filled with tears, unable to control his emotions.
            • Heaney feels embarrassed; he was treated like an adult by old men standing to shake his hand.
            • In losing his four year old brother, Heaney also lost his own childhood innocence, as he discovered the brutal and harsh reality of life.
            • The effect of the isolated final line is to allow the reader to focus on the tragedy of the young boy’s death.
            • This poem has an overwhelming and powerful effect because the emotions are so understated and restrained.
            • Heaney describes only what he sees, not commenting, never letting any real feeling of his own reach the surface.
            • Heaney requests the reader to import the sorrow from themselves after reading this sorrowful, poignant poem.

Tich Miller
            Wendy Cope

Theme:
            Exclusion and Alienation, Bullying, School Life

Subject Matter
            This poem is about the misery of being left out or alienated at school. Two girls nicknamed “Tubby” and “Tich” are isolated individuals who are forced to suffer unduly.

Point of View
            Tubby is the speaker in the poem, therefore we see her point of view.

Stanza 1-2
            Tich is a handicapped girl who is described in a humorous manner, having exaggerated physical features. Tich and Tubby were “always” the last two girls left out when teams were being picked.
            Tubby remembers how neither girl looked at each other. They “avoided” eye contact. Why? Both felt embarrassed, humiliated and uncomfortable. As a means of distraction they may have re-tied a shoelace or taken an interest in a bird flying overhead. Our sympathy is arrowed for both girls when we feel the alienation they endured.
            Stanza 3-4
            The fact that Tubby herself was “usually” chosen indicates the recurring situation both girls found themselves in.
            Stanza 5
            When they grew older they went to different schools. Despite the physical separation, Tubby never forgot Tich. They had formed a subtle friendship as a direct result of what they had in common: being excluded and isolated. Tubby feels she gained a sense of revenge in later years when her academic ability shine through. She then felt more superior.
            Final Line
            There is a significant pause before the final line which remains isolated from the rest of the poem. We, the reader, are forced to think about the tragic death of Tich. This isolated line gives an added sense of importance.

• Advertisement
          • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Your english notes are soo good Áine!
            I wish I was doing some of them poems, might even take one of them just because I'm not too keen on the ones we done in class..

Leaving Messages
            A. Gone Out

- I’ve gone… Suis allé(e)
            Je suis allé(e)
            - Where? En ville
            Chez Mary
            au cinéma
            à la plage
            à la poste
            à la piscine
            - To do what?(pour) acheter des cadeaux/ des timbres
            Poster des letters
            Voir le dernier film de Harry Potter
            Diner au restaurant/ chez Mary
            Render visite à Mary
            Fêter l’anniversaire de Mary
            - With whom? (avec) mon ami(e)
            Mon copain
            Ma copine
            Hélène
            Mes amis/copains
            - Will be back… Je rentre (I’m coming home)
            Je reviens (I’m coming back)
            Je rentrerai (I will come home)
            Je reviendrai (I will come back)
            De retour (Be back)
            Je serai de retour (I will be back)
            - When? Avant minuit
            à 10h
            vers 4h
            dans trois heures
            une demi-heure
            trois quart d’heure
            une quart d’heure
            avant l’heure du déjeuner
            du repas
            du diner
            dans une heure environ/ à peu
            près (approximately)
            quelques heures (a few)
            - Don’t worry Ne vous inquiétez pas
            Ne t’inquiète pas
            - Don’t wait for me Ne m’attendez pas
            Ne m’attends pas
            - Don’t forget that.. N’oubliez pas que…
            N’oublie pas que…
            - Don’t forget to… N’oubliez pas de… (+ infinitive)
            N’oublie pas de…(+ infinitive)
            - Mary rang. She will ring back this evening
            Mary a téléphone. Elle rappellera ce soir.
            B. Called by, you’re not there
            - Called by suis passé(e)
            Je suis passé(e)
            - When? Ce matin
            Aujourd’hui
            Vers 4h
            à midi
            cet après-midi
            ce soir
            plus tard
            - Why? (pour) te dire bonjour
            Te voir
            Te render tes cassettes
            T’inviter à déjeuner en ville
            Voir si tu voulais venir au ciné
            Ça fait longtemps que je ne t’ai pas
            Vu(e) (I haven’t seen you for ages)
            - But there’s no one home mais il n’y a personne
            Il n’y avait personne
            Tu n’es pas là
            Tu n’étaiz pas là
            - What a pity! Quel dommage!
            - What a disappointment! Quelle deception!
            - Too bad! Tant pis!
            - We’ll do it another time ce sera pour une autre fois
            - You can still come if you’re free tu peux toujours
            Venir si tu es libre
            - Ring me Appelle-moi
            Téléphone-moi
            - Give me a buzz Donne-moi un coup de fil
            C. Changing Plans
            - Unfortunately Malheureusement
            - I won’t be able to Je ne pourrai pas (venir +infinitive)
            - It won’t be possible. Ce ne sera pas possible.
            - It won’t be possible to.. Il ne sera pas possible de
            (venir + infinitive)

- As arranged Comme prevu
            - I’m sorry, but.. Je suis désolé(e), mais…
            Je regrette, mais…
            - Because… Parce que ( + verb)
            - Because of… à cause de ( +noun, pronoun)
            - I hope you understand J’espère que vous comprenez
            Jespère que tu comprends
            D. Suggesting
            - Let’s go../ Would you like Ça te dit d’aller(+ infinitive)
            To go../ We could go… Si on allait…
            - Do you want to go? Tu veux aller
            - Would you like to go? Tu aimerais aller
            - We could go On pourrait aller
            - Why not go? Pourquoi pas aller?
            - Do you want to come with us? Veux-tu nous
            Accompagner
            - Do you want to come with me? Veux-tu
            M’accompagner
            E. Arranging to Meet
            - We could meet… On pourrait se retrouver…
            - Meet me… Retrouve-moi
            - Meet us… Retrouve-moi
            - Where? Devant la gare
            Devant la Maison du Tourisme
            Chez Marc
            Au cinema
            Au theatre
            Au café
            Au restaurant
            Au centre commercial
            Au lac
            Au camping
            À la piscine
            À la plage
            À la gare
            à la Maison du Jeunes
            - O.K.? D’accord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Leaving Messages
            A. Gone Out

- I’ve gone… Suis allé(e)
            Je suis allé(e)
            -Where? En ville
            Chez Mary
            au cinéma
            à la plage
            à la poste
            à la piscine
            -To do what?(pour) acheter des cadeaux/ des timbres
            Poster des letters
            Voir le dernier film de Harry Potter
            Diner au restaurant/ chez Mary
            Render visite à Mary
            Fêter l’anniversaire de Mary
            -With whom? (avec) mon ami(e)
            Mon copain
            Ma copine
            Hélène
            Mes amis/copains
            -Will be back… Je rentre (I’m coming home)
            Je reviens (I’m coming back)
            Je rentrerai (I will come home)
            Je reviendrai (I will come back)
            De retour (Be back)
            Je serai de retour (I will be back)
            -When? Avant minuit
            à 10h
            vers 4h
            dans trois heures
            une demi-heure
            trois quart d’heure
            une quart d’heure
            avant l’heure du déjeuner
            du repas
            du diner
            dans une heure environ/ à peu
            près (approximately)
            quelques heures (a few)
            -Don’t worry Ne vous inquiétez pas
            Ne t’inquiète pas
            -Don’t wait for me Ne m’attendez pas
            Ne m’attends pas
            -Don’t forget that.. N’oubliez pas que…
            N’oublie pas que…
            -Don’t forget to… N’oubliez pas de… (+ infinitive)
            N’oublie pas de…(+ infinitive)
            -Mary rang. She will ring back this evening
            Mary a téléphone. Elle rappellera ce soir.
            B. Called by, you’re not there
            -Called by suis passé(e)
            Je suis passé(e)
            -When? Ce matin
            Aujourd’hui
            Vers 4h
            à midi
            cet après-midi
            ce soir
            plus tard
            -Why? (pour) te dire bonjour
            Te voir
            Te render tes cassettes
            T’inviter à déjeuner en ville
            Voir si tu voulais venir au ciné
            Ça fait longtemps que je ne t’ai pas
            Vu(e) (I haven’t seen you for ages)
            -But there’s no one home mais il n’y a personne
            Il n’y avait personne
            Tu n’es pas là
            Tu n’étaiz pas là
            -What a pity! Quel dommage!
            -What a disappointment! Quelle deception!
            -Too bad! Tant pis!
            -We’ll do it another time ce sera pour une autre fois
            -You can still come if you’re free tu peux toujours
            Venir si tu es libre
            -Ring me Appelle-moi
            Téléphone-moi
            -Give me a buzz Donne-moi un coup de fil
            C. Changing Plans
            -Unfortunately Malheureusement
            -I won’t be able to Je ne pourrai pas (venir +infinitive)
            -It won’t be possible. Ce ne sera pas possible.
            -It won’t be possible to.. Il ne sera pas possible de
            (venir + infinitive)

-As arranged Comme prevu
            -I’m sorry, but.. Je suis désolé(e), mais…
            Je regrette, mais…
            -Because… Parce que ( + verb)
            -Because of… à cause de ( +noun, pronoun)
            -I hope you understand J’espère que vous comprenez
            Jespère que tu comprends
            D. Suggesting
            - Let’s go../ Would you like Ça te dit d’aller(+ infinitive)
            To go../ We could go… Si on allait…
            - Do you want to go? Tu veux aller
            - Would you like to go? Tu aimerais aller
            - We could go On pourrait aller
            - Why not go? Pourquoi pas aller?
            - Do you want to come with us? Veux-tu nous
            Accompagner
            -Do you want to come with me? Veux-tu
            M’accompagner
            E. Arranging to Meet
            -We could meet… On pourrait se retrouver…
            -Meet me… Retrouve-moi
            -Meet us… Retrouve-moi
            -Where? Devant la gare
            Devant la Maison du Tourisme
            Chez Marc
            Au cinema
            Au theatre
            Au café
            Au restaurant
            Au centre commercial
            Au lac
            Au camping
            À la piscine
            À la plage
            À la gare
            à la Maison du Jeunes
            -O.K.? D’accord?

Such......pretty colours!:pac:

DylanS09 wrote: »
            Such......pretty colours!:pac:
            It's amazing what Word can do. It's way more interesting of you use pretty colours (except I usually get distracted by the colours.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

It's amazing what Word can do. It's way more interesting of you use pretty colours (except I usually get distracted by the colours.)

Same!!
            Everything is better in colour!!

Thank-You Letter
            Merci beaucoup pour le(la)(l’)(les) = Thank you very much for the…
            Je te remercie beaucoup du(de la)(le l’)(des) = Thank you very much for the…
            Cadeau = present
            Disque = disc
            Lettre = letter
            photo = photo
            CD. = cd
            Que je viens de recevoir = that I have just received
            J’aime beaucoup le(la)(l’)(les) = I am very fond of
            Et celui-ci (celle-ci) est particulièrement = and this one is particularly…
            Intéressant(e) = interesting
            Amusant(e) = amusing
            Beau/ belle = beautiful
            Utile = useful
            Tu es très gentil(le) = It is very nice of you
            Penser à moi = to think of me
            l’ avoir envoyé(e) = have sent it
            la semaine prochaine, je vais t’envoyer = Next week, I’ll send you
            une photo = a photo
            un disque = a disc
            un CD de = a CD of
            un livre = a book
            une revue = a magazine
            quelles sortes de = what sort of
            photos = photos
            disques = discs
            livres = books
            revues = magazines
            CD = CDs
            Aimes-tu? = do you like
            Je te remercie encore = Thank you again.

Seeing as we don't have that long left I'm just going to throw up whatever I have left.
            The Moral Challenge (Section F)
            • Actions & consequences = the things we do or say which cause something to happen
            • Civil law = the rules of a country to protect all citizens of that country
            • Conscience = the ability to judge what is right and wrong not a little voice or a “feeling” but a deep part of our being, can be blunted or sharpened by use
            • Forgiveness = the ability to stop feeling angry towards someone & move towards reconciliation
            • Fundamentalism = the view that the beliefs, teachings and especially the sacred text of a particular religion should be taken word foe word or literally
            • Influence = something that affects our decision
            • Integrity = being totally honest and upright, able to stand up for what you believe
            • Judgement = the ability to make a sound decision
            • Justice = fairness, refers to righting the inequalities in our world
            • Libertarianism = the view that everyone should be free to do as they choose as long as they don’t interfere with the rights of others
            • Moral growth = a gradual process moving from childhood-like decision making to adolescence to adulthood
            • Moral maturity = the ability to make a moral decision taking into account the consequences and effects on others
            • Moral vision = how we see the world especially issues of right and wrong, very often influenced by religion
            • Pluralism = the view that groups belonging to different religions can live together and that they can have the freedom to practice without interference
            • Respect = having a high regard for something and so treating it with consideration and fairness
            • Sin = the Christian term for doing wrong deliberately & breaking our relationship with others and God
            • Stewardship = being responsible for caring for all of God’s creation

The Celebration of Faith (Section E)
            · Actions of significance = actions/gestures that have special meaning for people
            · Communal prayer = praying with others in a community setting
            · Contemplation = a form of very deep prayer that does not use words or thought
            · Encountering mystery = connecting with something that is mysterious and beyond human understanding
            · Icon = a sacred picture, usually on wood, using symbolic colours, used in Orthodox church
            · Identity = the unique or distinct characteristics by which a group is recognised
            · Participation = being actively involved in worship
            · Penitence = prayer admitting wrong doing and asking for God’s forgiveness
            · Personal prayer = praying to God by oneself
            · Petition = asking God for help with one’s needs or the needs of others
            · Places of significance = places or buildings that have a special meaning
            · Reflection = thinking deeply about some aspect of life
            · Ritual = repeating actions, words, gestures in a set of patters
            · Sacrament = a sacred ritual that is a visible sign of God’s presence at the moments of their lives, birth, adulthood, marriage
            · Sacredness = a thing or place that is holy with the presence of God and is set apart from ordinary life
            · Sign = something – word, image – that carries a message, appeals to intellect, universal
            · Symbol = something visible that represents something invisible, appeals to the heart, is personal & not universally understood
            · Times of significance = times of year that have special meaning
            · Wonder & awe = a feeling inspired by some mystery
            · Worship = time set aside to honour and praise God
            · Pilgrimage = a journey to a sacred place
            · Religious place of worship = gathering place
            · Meditation = needs quiet place, proper posture, focal point or focal words

The Question of Faith (Section D)
            Agnosticism = the view that human beings cannot know for certain whether or not God exists
            Atheism = the view that God does not exist
            Awe & Wonder = a feeling that comes from the mysterious aspects of life
            Childhood Faith = a simple trust in God and an acceptance of one’s parents faith
            Faith = a strong inner belief and trust in God
            Fundamentalism = the view that a sacred text is a factual account of something and has to be taken literally
            Humanism = a view that rejects faith and religion and believes that humanity is the supreme reality, nothing higher, know everything through human reason
            Materialism = the view that nothing is real except physical matter
            Mature Faith = a very close personal relationship with God, absolute trust, very dedicated
            Meaning = having a sense of purpose in life
            Monotheism = belief in one God
            Polytheism = belief in more than 1 God
            Reflection = the ability to think deeply about things
            Religious Belief = a set of ideas about God
            Religious Practice = the way people express their faith
            Secularism = the view that organised religion should have no influence in society
            Main Parts of Section D
            · Religious belief in Ireland V Europe. Still strong in Ireland but practice is falling – 50% or less attend Church on a week but Africa is up
            · Must know how religion was practiced in the past – rosary, Angelus, never miss Mass, Lent. Big change in 1962 – Second Vatican Council 1962-1965. Called by John XXIII. Brought many changes esp. in Mass &building style of church
            · What influences young people – parents, peers, media, music.
            · Search for meaning & where people find meaning –work, social life, family, material things, religion. Human beings have an inbuilt need to find meaning/purpose/happiness
            · Images of God = mental picture. Christians get it from O.T. (eagle, potter etc.) N.T. (forgiving father, shepherd etc.). We also get images from own experience
            · Challenges to faith e.g. science, especially on the origins of the world. Galileo/ Darwin. – Universe began 18 billion years ago and earth formed 4.5 billion yrs ago, compare this to 6 days. – Christians now accept that the bible is a poetic account intended to convey important messages
            · Other challenges to faith – secularism/humanism
            · Must know story of a person of faith e.g. Mother Teresa
            Mother Teresa
            · Born in Yugoslavia in 1910
            · Decided to become a Catholic nun
            · Trained by Mercy Sisters in Rathfarnham, Dublin
            · Became a secondary school principal in Calcutta
            · Referred to 10 September 1946 as her “day of decision”. Asked permission of her superiors to work with the poor in the slums of Calcutta
            · Was given permission to do so. Trained as a nurse and returned to Calcutta in 1948
            · Established a new religious order, the Missionaries of Charity, with the Pope’s approval in 1950. All sisters wear white saris edged with blue stripes. In addition to vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, they take an extra vow pledging service to the poor
            · Opened first home for the dying in 1952. Expended services as the order increased in size. Set up hospitals to care for lepers, and schools for slum children
            · Was awarded Padmashri (Lord of the Lotus) by the Indian government for her work with the poor
            · Was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on 1979
            · Died in 1997. Was mourned by countless millions. Her religious order now cares for the poor in over 200 centres worldwide.

• Advertisement

To Kill a Mockingbird
            Setting (World of
            Text = Time and Place)
            • In the 1950s, when Harper Lee was writing this novel, the state of Alabama was at the centre of racial tension. During this time, Martin Luther King began his civil rights work, giving a voice to African Americans living amongst white people.
            • The novel is set in 1930s American, where the Great Depression hit the poorest hardest.
            • Throughout the south, blacks and whites were segregated. African Americans used different drinking fountains, entrances to public places and rest room facilities. They also were expected to sit on the back of public buses and were expected to move if a white person needed a seat. In 1955, an African American woman refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery Alabama bus. Her brave and momentous decision sparked a new lease of life to the civil rights movement.
            • Harper Lee had many reasons to set her story in the 1930s. Scout, the narrator and protagonist of the story, is a semi-autobiographical character as Harper Lee was about the same age as Scout in the 1930s.
            • Harper Lee’s father, like Atticus was a lawyer who became a legal representative in cases against African Americans.
            • Maycomb, as created by Lee, is a “tired old town” where little happens, though dangerous prejudices and tensions are always there. Most of the characters are morally good according to their own standards, but these standards are narrow and rigid.
            • Maycomb’s population is static and newcomers, even from north Alabama are not accepted easily. People in Maycomb are quite suspicious of outsiders and can feel threatened by unfamiliarity.
            • Gossip is rife and so is prejudice. Not only are blacks subjected to racial prejudice, but those who in any way don’t conform are treated as odd, for example Dolphus Raymond and Boo Radley.
            • In her novel, Lee’s central character moves from a state of innocence to one of maturity as the result of suffering, questioning and surviving various incidents. One of Scout’s biggest concerns throughout the novel is trying to understand the expectations her society has for women and those who are African Americans.
            • In the 1930s women in the south were treated as delicate, fragile creatures and they were expected to act in accordance with that treatment. Scout is anything but delicate and fragile and much of the story focuses on how she tries to fit into a world that expects girls to wear frilly dresses and maintain a fragile and dainty disposition.

Role of Women
            • Expected to stay at home
            • Miss Maudie is seen as a non-conformist as she works outside in her garden. Very intelligent, not afraid to speak her mind.
            • Scout does not wish to be lady, she prefers to be a tomboy
            • Aunt Alexandra believes that Atticus is not raising Scout to be a proper lady, she wants her to wear frilly dresses and conform to the traditional view of women
            • Not allowed to sit on jury
            • Southern Womanhood = very ladylike, not allowed to show much emotion
            • Aunt Alexandra likes to fit in with the other ladies so she does not like to voice her opinion in front of them but rather privately
            • Missionary tea ladies conform. They are hypocritical = feel sorry for African Tribe but ignore what is happening in their own town
            • Look down on people who are inferior to them
            • Aunt Alexandra fits into the world of Maycomb like a hand in a glove (something that is meant to be there and fits perfectly)
            • Scout has to learn about the code of femininity
            • She shows ladylike behaviour by allowing Boo Radley to lead her across the road + down the street
            • Scout realised the code of femininity when Aunt Alexandra shows emotion at Tom Robinson’s death and then composing herself and carrying on with the tea party.

Religion
            • Christian society
            • Do not show Christian morals e.g. love forgiveness, equality
            • Atticus is one of the few who do
            • Some of the black people are shocked that Calpurnia would bring Scout and Jem to their church
            • People in the black community were forced to give money in a church collection for Helen Robinson and her family
            • Lynch mob show no compassion as they are willing to kill Tom Robinson – inhumane towards a fellow human being – Walter Cunningham = decent hardworking man
            • Foot washing Baptists expect Miss Maudie to stay inside and read the bible
            • Missionary tea ladies are hypocritical in the way they feel sorry for African tribe but are not sorry of African Americans in their own community
            • Mr Merriweather speaks inhumanely to Sophie (her servant)
            • Harper Lee criticises the religion of the people
            • Stereotyping( Tom Robinson, Boo Radley, Dolphus Raymond) = label people (race, skin colour, age, gender, social status, family name) – stick through generations of the same family ( “streak” ) = opinions are narrow

Advertisement