Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Has anyone had any luck getting BBC Iplayer working with the firestick? I've almost gone mad trying to get it to play with a VPN. Gone through about half a dozen tutorials and zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Asmodean wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck getting BBC Iplayer working with the firestick? I've almost gone mad trying to get it to play with a VPN. Gone through about half a dozen tutorials and zilch.

what VPN are you using?

Its really straightforward being honest. You only need to change your DNS to the one provided by your VPN provider.

Order one of these last night to PM, delivered to Belfast this morning. Don't think ive ever had a delivery arrive so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

whats the best setup for irish based users
    Getting one for parents
    Would ideally remove prime stuff that is not available from main screen
    and add in apps that you guys are using

is there a good thread around for this, have searched but no dice

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

can they be unlocked so you can watch Prime on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

bonkers wrote: »
    whats the best setup for irish based users
    Getting one for parents
    Would ideally remove prime stuff that is not available from main screen
    and add in apps that you guys are using

is there a good thread around for this, have searched but no dice

+1

• Advertisement

B_ecke_r wrote:
    can they be unlocked so you can watch Prime on them?

Unlocked how? You can watch prime if you've a smartdns sub.

If you mean for free, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NellyMcD

I use it on WiFi and it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bizarre that amazon won't ship them over here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bizarre that amazon won't ship them over here.

Because the built-in Prime Video app doesn’t work with Irish Prime Video accounts. They could tweak it to work quite easily and modify the marketing but they don't seem too bothered about the Irish market. Despite this some Irish retailers do sell them. I assume mistakenly since many of the services advertised on the box aren’t available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Will have mine tomm looking forward to trying it out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

dulpit wrote: »
    Cancel and re-order? Or, to be fair, Amazon are usually sound if you ask them to refund difference...

No they wouldnt refund difference for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

is it worth getting this if u dont have a 4k tv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Invincible

torrevieja wrote: »
    is it worth getting this if u dont have a 4k tv

Yes
    Meant to be 85% faster than non 4k.
    1.7ghz processor. Future proof for when you get 4k tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Despite this some Irish retailers do sell them. I assume mistakenly since many of the services advertised on the box aren’t available here.

I think Irish retailers have pulled them actually. They are not listed on Argos or Currys any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

My fire stick arrived today. Keep getting error 5505 when I try to watch Prime unfortunately. Don't know why since I already have prime set up on my phone and laptop and they work perfectly and my location is set to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    My fire stick arrived today. Keep getting error 5505 when I try to watch Prime unfortunately. Don't know why since I already have prime set up on my phone and laptop and they work perfectly and my location is set to the UK.

You should be able to open prime on your phone and have an option to play it on the firestick. Not ideal, but should be workaround until the people who know better here will advise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Received mine today, man its fast! Liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Get onto Amazon Prime live chat, tell them you are in the UK. Restart your device, simple.

I have All4, BBC iPlayer, itvHub all on the device. Its a good bit of kit with no lag. ExpressVPN works well and has a dedicated app.

The stick lacks the ability to use SkyGo, RTE Player I think?
    Lots of other apps/subs through Prime TV. I dont think you can rent titles without card with UK address.
    Can install 3rd party like Kodi too.
    Can use Airpods or an Echo as a speaker through bluetooth. One of the best devices for the price of it. Id like to see bluetooth volume control, or and SD port too tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Got mine today. Nice piece of kit alright. Easy to download all the usual tv/movie apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm just after setting it up and getting it too. Did you get a solution to it?

Geo-restrictions they say. My apologies for being clueless but everyone who has it working... are you using a VPN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I'm just after setting it up and getting it too. Did you get a solution to it?

Geo-restrictions they say. My apologies for being clueless but everyone who has it working... are you using a VPN?

I did, as above - talk to online chat. Tell them you are in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭andydurnin

Can you install sky go on this? Would it work on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

andydurnin wrote: »
    Can you install sky go on this? Would it work on this?

dont see why not, would need to be the APK version of Sky Go though

kaerobe wrote: »
    I did, as above - talk to online chat. Tell them you are in the UK

I got talking to them last night and before I could say anything they said it wasn't available in Ireland due to geo-restrictions. I assume they know I'm in Ireland because everything gets sent here?

Do I just outright claim to be based in the UK no matter what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sideloading the standalone version of the Prime Video app works. I've done it and it works fine with Prime Video Ireland.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-amazon-prime-video-fire-tv-t3762965

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

OmegaGene wrote:
    How did they know you were in Ireland ? The stick was sent to Northern Ireland tell them lies and say you live in the U.K. and get a vpn or smart dns and you’re sorted

So you still need to use a VPN even if your location it set to the UK?. Probably a stupid question but I don't know much about these things!

You'll need a VPN if you plan on doing anything questionable with these.

So got talking to an agent last night and he said my marketplace was set to .com instead of .co.uk which is where the issue was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

RossieMan wrote: »
    You'll need a VPN if you plan on doing anything questionable with these.

Like watching Daniel and Majella.

• Advertisement

Like watching Daniel and Majella.

You certainly don't want anyone knowing you'll be doing anything like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement