Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Munster Fusiliers - World War 1 - recommend a book

• 19-03-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a book on the Royal Munster Fusiliers in WW1?

In particular, I am looking to find out as much detail as possible on the 8th Battalion.

There are a few books on Amazon, but I am not sure which one would be the the most interesting and informative.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

This one is definitely worth a fiver

http://www.books.ie/kerry-and-the-royal-munster-fusiliers

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Meursault

Thanks for the response.

I purchased this one, as I have a specific interest in the 8th Battalion and also this period (from 1915 - 1916). My great grandfather died in Sep 1916 during the Battle of the Somme, so I am hoping this book will provide some insight in to his experience.

I am heading to the somme actually in a few weeks, to check it out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1474510035?pf_rd_p=330fbd82-d4fe-42e5-9c16-d4b886747c64&pf_rd_r=YW65N7AF9J19AEW8MP9F

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭enfield

If you post or PM me his name, I may be able to help.

enfield wrote: »
    If you post or PM me his name, I may be able to help.

Thanks Enfield. We have a record of his death alright, but if you can provide further details, that would be fantastic:

Name: Henry Doyle, 8th Batt Royal Munster Fusiliers
    Reg Number: 4875
    Died: 02 Sept 1916
    Born: Hong Kong, around 1877 - 1878

Also, his father (Patrick) was a soldier, and his mother (Catherine) was a mid-wife for the army, which is why he was born in Hong Kong. Other than some stories/info from my aunts/uncles, I don't know a whole pile about them, so it would be great to get some more details on them also.

Thanks again.

He is not in the Cork Examiner and there are not pictures of him in the Irish Newspapers for the 26 counties.
    Doyle, Henry. (Cork). Private. 4875.
    Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.
    Unit: 8th Battalion.
    Date of death: 02/09/1916.
    Born: Hong Kong, China. Enlisted: Cork. Residence: Cork.
    Death: Killed in action.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late Patrick and Catherine Doyle: Husband of Mary Forde (Formerly Doyle), of 98 North Main Street, Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: Pier and Face 16C.
    Cemetery: Thiepval Memorial, France.

He is listed in 'The Great Sacrifice' ' The 26 County Casualties of The Great War', and 'The Cork War Dead'. If plans succeed a tree, one of 5,000 will be planted in the proposed WW1 Memorial Park in Kilworth Camp in his name.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

He is not in the Cork Examiner and there are not pictures of him in the Irish Newspapers for the 26 counties.
    Doyle, Henry. (Cork). Private. 4875.
    Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.
    Unit: 8th Battalion.
    Date of death: 02/09/1916.
    Born: Hong Kong, China. Enlisted: Cork. Residence: Cork.
    Death: Killed in action.
    Next of kin, etc: Son of the late Patrick and Catherine Doyle: Husband of Mary Forde (Formerly Doyle), of 98 North Main Street, Cork.
    Grave/Memorial: Pier and Face 16C.
    Cemetery: Thiepval Memorial, France.

He is listed in 'The Great Sacrifice' ' The 26 County Casualties of The Great War', and 'The Cork War Dead'. If plans succeed a tree, one of 5,000 will be planted in the proposed WW1 Memorial Park in Kilworth Camp in his name.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Thanks for getting back to me Tom

It would have been fantastic if there was a photo!

He was in the army prior to WW1 also. Is there any way of finding out more about that?

Also, any suggestions on finding out about his parents’ time in the army

I would approach the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association. Start here-
    https://www.rmfa92.org/

If you have access to Ancestry you should look up the Register of Soldiers effects also. They may also have some of his records or R.M.F. war diaries. I have no knowledge of pre war service.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

I would approach the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association. Start here-
    https://www.rmfa92.org/

If you have access to Ancestry you should look up the Register of Soldiers effects also. They may also have some of his records or R.M.F. war diaries. I have no knowledge of pre war service.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Okay, great stufff. Thanks again Tom.

Advertisement