Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be offended ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭peter4918

I don’t believe in God myself but your work colleague seems like an awful clown, if that’s all he has to be complaining about then he has little going on his life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Zaph wrote: »
    Well as a non-angry atheist I'd say that that guy sounds like a right knob who needs to cop onto himself. Unfortunately there are people on both sides of the religious divide who give their own sides a bad name through their antics, and this guy is clearly one of them. No sense in you getting into trouble over it OP, so I'd just say that you should make a conscious effort to avoid saying it when he's around and just ignore him as best you can.

If the atheist can say JC I cannot understand why the op can't say God bless..

As you say there's two sides to this story, but there shouldn't be double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Short answer, no.

Long answer, No, and I'm an atheist. While not a fan of religion/faith/etc, I am mature enough to understand that to some people it is a very important part of their life, so it isn't right for me to deprive someone of their belief. Saying God Bless is not offensive.

The person complaining is just trying to get attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If this is genuine, and you're in Ireland this is one of the oddest things I've ever read. Your not religious but say "god bless" in work conversations and refer to people taking the lord's name in vain. One or both of those statements is not true I reckon.

If genuine, somebody has said they're offended by your frequent use of a certain phrase; try to reduce/stop your usage. I'm not sure religious or not comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

drogon. wrote: »
    So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance

Your colleague sounds like a person to be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement

So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance

You nearly had me, and then you let slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

There are unfortunately people that are looking for something to be offended by. In the current culture, their view is held in the highest regard as everyone has become over sensitive and try to accommodate the feelings of that person, even if it makes feel you uncomfortable.

I believe your manager is wrong to ask you to change your ways. They should have told the other person to accept you, and others, as they are when there was obviously no malicious intend. Also applies to you, OP, as you will have to accept that someone will take the name of the Lord in vain at times. Taking the name of the Lord in vain has no value to that person anyway.

If you want to be cheeky, you can say that you are offended that although being an atheist he appropriates your Lord when things go wrong. Perhaps he is closeted Christian and that makes him angry?

I am agnostic and when someone wants to bless me I happily accept it. Blessing someone as a Christian is held in high regard so I see it as that someone holding me as such. Good boost for my self-esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Whenever he does anything even mildly offensive then report him.

Report him for everything you can.

You won't beat him so join him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Greet him with Dia Duit everytime you meet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

OP, I'd be offended for you breathing in the same air I breath...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭drogon.

If you are offended by the work colleague using the lords name in vain then you risk a tit-for-tat complain versus counter complain situation, and it will appear as vexatious on your behalf given the colleague has already complained.

Just to be clear, I have no issues with that. But was just pointing out the hypocrisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

As someone else said Goodbye is God be with you.
    Dia dhuit means the same.
    People in the country always say things like God willing, or God bless - I think it is sweet.
    If the other person is saying oh Jesus Christ! or some other exclamation it is the same in essence though not intended. If people say Oh my God! does he get offended?
    I notice a lot if people say Aww bless. It started with my English friends but now loads say it. I usually wonder who do they think is doing the blessing. The fairies? Themselves? Invisible priests? The great void?
    Anyway stop saying it to the persnickety gobshyte. Or else say when finishing little chats with him May the Divine Wow bless you with a vast multitude of strong sons and limber fertile daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Great timing. Tell the manager that your man/wan can work the Christmas shifts/be on call etc.

Great timing. Tell the manager that your man/wan can work the Christmas shifts/be on call etc.

To be honest, the manager was smirking when he told me this. He knew it was BS, but just cautioned me to prevent things getting out of hand and causing unnecessary conflict.

There was even cases of him being grumpy when people decorate their desks for Christmas. That being said, he would always turn up for Christmas dinner and drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Well Holy God ( as Miley would have said).

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Does your colleague have multi coloured rainbow hair and consider themselves a liberal

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Does your colleague have multi coloured rainbow hair and consider themselves a liberal

Nope - He is a middle aged man (in his early 50's)

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Nykay

To be quite honest, often people say that certain phrases they use are "just habits" as an excuse for continuing to be rude; or may even think that they're not being rude themselves. For example someone might say that calling someone "boy" is just a habit, but you can be sure that they'll quickly lose that habit for certain people of high status!

But anytime I hear "God bless" I think I can rest assured that it's genuinely "a habit", and that such a person says it to everyone. Therefore I won't take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

Next time finish off with God damn you. As he’s an Atheist he should not be one but offended...... he sounds like a total dickhead TBH. If he’s swearing a lot, then yes report it. Leave it a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'd take your colleague out of the equation altogether and focus on yourself.

Like this guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Isn't it illegal in Ireland in the workplace to descriminate against religious beliefs? I'm in no way religious but how is this complaint any different to the other 8 on the list of discriminitory behaviour?
    https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/your-rights-under-equality-act-2010

Nykay wrote: »
    To be quite honest, often people say that certain phrases they use are "just habits" as an excuse for continuing to be rude; or may even think that they're not being rude themselves. For example someone might say that calling someone "boy" is just a habit, but you can be sure that they'll quickly lose that habit for certain people of high status!

But anytime I hear "God bless" I think I can rest assured that it's genuinely "a habit", and that such a person says it to everyone. Therefore I won't take offence.

Yes - I honestly just say it out of habit. It is one of those phrases that just comes out "Alright see ya - God Bless". Not a big religious type either.

But I don't want us getting to be society where you can't say "Happy Christmas" anymore as it could offend someone, but should rather say "Happy Holidays" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well if he is offended by you saying "God Bless", the offended registar will go off the chart's if he is ever working with Muslims,,,where every conversation will be liberally peppered with "Ins'h Allah" . And he /she ( Muslims) will be at least as offended by your being offended at the mention of Allah !!! ( if that makes sense? )

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

That guy is just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes - I honestly just say it out of habit. It is one of those phrases that just comes out "Alright see ya - God Bless". Not a big religious type either.

But I don't want us getting to be society where you can't say "Happy Christmas" anymore as it could offend someone, but should rather say "Happy Holidays" instead.

Hey op,
    That guy just sounds like a ponce. Be careful what you say around him tho.

My best mate worked with someone like that a while back. Also 50s and just an overall dick. He'd love to get offended over the slightest of things. He would also love the idea of hanging you to a manager etc. Just waiting to twist something. Could be anything.

Claimed to be a former teacher but you could tell he never teached a day on his life. Constantly going on about The book of kells as he thought it made him sound smart and cultured. Ha.

The only takeaway from this is that your colleague is an absolute cretin. Raise it again with management to not give ***** like that any oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Nope - He is a middle aged man (in his early 50's)

Ah one of those. Probably on the spectrum. Just don't say it to him. Treat him as a special case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'm just saying maybe you sound like ned flanders and your voice is wrecking this guys head. So maybe it's nothing to do with god at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

OP your colleague needs to get over himself.

Advertisement