Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you be offended ?

• 17-10-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

Your colleague sounds like a geebag. I would punch him in the face.
    Obviously joking
    Just ignore him. He sounds like an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

God help him with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Professionally, I'd do my level best to cut out the habit of saying it.

Personally, your colleague is a donkey. Plain and simple. I'd be doing my utmost to having to avoid working or interacting at work with that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Why would he be offended becuse you say god bless? That's pretty pathetic! Tell him to not be such a little bitch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Lord have mercy on his soul !
    There’s always someone like this but I guess you’ll have to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

God be with ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd refrain from using it at work simply because you've been pulled for it once and it's not worth the hassle

Obviously in reality it doesn't matter a sh1te, it's not as if you're saying anything wrong but unfortunately this is the world we live in these days and there are people who take offence for the sake of taking offence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gadzooks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Mod-

Do not rant about other forums here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

drogon. wrote: »
    So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance

Work is no place for religion, unless you are a member of clergy.

If you are offended by the work colleague using the lords name in vain then you risk a tit-for-tat complain versus counter complain situation, and it will appear as vexatious on your behalf given the colleague has already complained.

If you apologise every time you “offend” this person, it will show you are conscious and making an effort, if you complain it will be viewed as petty, especially if you aren’t overly religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Lord save us and guard us. What is the world coming to at all? I hear this saying all the time but never used it. Now I might start using it

Happy Christmas everyone

People who say god bless to anyone in a work context are usually the least intellectually gifted colleagues one might have to work with. Unless you’re a nun or a priest I suppose.

As for taking the name of a famous carpenter, born to a liar of a mother and a cuckold of a stepfather, or of his sky daddy or whatever....

Well, let’s just say I don’t taketh his name in vain. Wouldn’t care to offend etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’m a non believer and I wouldn’t be offended. It’s just a phrase and i use it myself through force of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

drogon. wrote: »

Tell your manager that as a Christian (or whatever) you're offended by your colleague cursing in that manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

As a woman I know in Limerick says

TELP'IS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

A total non believer here also but wouldn't in the slightest get offended by that at all.
    Don't give it a second thought OP, yer man complaining says more about him than you.
    Don't say it to him again obviously but don't let a dope like that get to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

If this a sign of things to come, it won't be long before some crowd starts campaigning for 'religious consent' classes.

Most normal people can tell the difference where something is meant to be offensive or not and deal with it accordingly. Completely over the top bull**** imo.

I'd say you could easily defend it as a cultural trait and nothing anyone should be offended by

I'd challenge any warning given tbh

Atheist, btw

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't believe this happened tbh. But sure it makes another after Hours thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Any chance your colleague is happy to work through the Christian holidays ?...or does the person want the holidays but doesn’t approve of the religion !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sneeze around him and if he says “bless you” then bring him up for it.
    Play the long game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

If you happened to be speaking in Irish you'd be starting the conversation with "God be with you"
    There's no getting out of that.

Demand in return they stop saying "goodbye" given it is derived from "God be with you!" and say you want Thursday off work because it is Thorsday and you are so offended to have to be held to ancient theistic norms.

Or go the total opposite direction and tell him to go watch Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about the phrase "God speed". That should shake him out of his idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I'm an atheist that wouldn't bother me one bit, ive said some far weirder attempting to be nice goodbye **** to people, words that have no meaning level ****.

I'd avoid the offended guy like a plague if I were you, or if you do have to deal with him say goodbye with Satan Curse instead. Complaining to the boss, thats like a bag of packet of eaten Maltesers level of energy expelled, that's a waste of Maltesers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Make a voodoo doll of him and stick a few pins in it , see how he likes it then.
    Maybe sacrifice a goat or something on his desk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

what would Jesus do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

At work we all just randomly give each other the middle finger or insult each other non stop so saying "god bless" wouldnt even scratch the surface of the offensive scale. Thankfully we don't have a hr department

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

<<mod snip>>

Well as a non-angry atheist I'd say that that guy sounds like a right knob who needs to cop onto himself. Unfortunately there are people on both sides of the religious divide who give their own sides a bad name through their antics, and this guy is clearly one of them. No sense in you getting into trouble over it OP, so I'd just say that you should make a conscious effort to avoid saying it when he's around and just ignore him as best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

nthclare - bring your grievances with any mod action in A&A to the DRP forum

This is not the place to rant about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

He has no right to comment on god bless, that's ridiculous. Also its no business of yours if he takes the lords name in vain.

If you have been told not to say it by your manager then stop saying it. It's ridiculous but some times in work you have to ridiculous things.

I am an atheist and I wouldn't even think to be offended by that. Religion is nothing to do with work so I wouldn't bring it in as he is doing.

Advertisement