Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fungie the dolphin is missing - Or is he?

• 15-10-2020 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭

Ah jaysus. As if 2020 couldn't get any worse

https://www.facebook.com/12FungieForever12/

"15th October 2020... SADNESS.... We all have been knowing that one day the day would come that Fungie would not show up in his beloved bay.... For the past two days Rudi and I have been searching for Fungie everywhere. There is absolutely no sign of him. Today I raised the alarm and I deepfull have to thank Mary and Mick O'Neill from DINGLE BOAT TOURS who were so kind to take us on an very long search along the coastline and search in places we could not reach with our own small boat because of the waves.. Meanwhile two other boats started a long search as well. We cannot give you any more information than what we know.. Fungie is missing... The bay has been very quite this week... and on Monday morning we spent a wonderful couple of hours with Fungie in the tranquility of the bay.. I never expected that the film I made of Fungie that morning.. could be the last film I shot of him. We all keep hoping for a miracle.... but the bay feels really empty without him. As you will understand.. we are very upset for it looks like we have lost our best friend.. Fungie was part of our life for 29 years.. But Fungie was part of a lot of peoples lives. He was and is and will always be loved all over the world. Rudi and I feel priviledged that we were able to share so much of Fungie with friends who love him.... with people who wanted to meet him.. with people who seeked comfort by him... Fungie is special to so many people in so many ways. For Rudi and me he will always be a part of our life for the place he has in our heart is there FOREVER. We will continue the search for him... and we keep hoping.. As you can understand we are very upset at the moment and will not get into any speculations... or questions... nor do we appreciate any disrespectful remarks. We have shared our life with Fungie with you because we knew he would always put a smile on someones face... I am sure that this will come as a shock to many people... We cannot tell you for sure if he is alive or dead.. It is just as simple as that. If Fungie crossed the dolphinrainbow bridge... than he will leave a big empty space behind him for many.. Dingle will never be the same.. but keep Fungie alive in your hearts.. and he will live forever..."

Mod:

Thread title updated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I heard fungi was just an ould lad in a plastic suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

So he’s missing for 2 days and assumed dead? Maybe fungi is adhering to level 3 restrictions and not visiting anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Up in heaven with RBG and Síoda now...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I'd say theres about 20 different "fungis" down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Fungi will turn up (or a replacement lookalike) and they'll spin out a yarn that he was social distancing and went into isolation due to covid. They ain't going to let that money spinner die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fungie is dead!
    Long live Fungie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just like your sister.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It says they don't know if he's dead

So, no evidence that he's dead at all?

Jesus lads, don't go away for a weekend, they'll have the service booked and the plot bought!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

He was seen earlier. The ocean swimmer Nuala Moore confirmed it with local boats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RIP Fungus, ur wid Lady Di and de angles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They're busy in Kilgarvan pumping up a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Thoughts and prayers hun

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pretty sure the original was verified as one of the oldest solitary dolphins in the wild sometime in the last 12 months or so.

Might have even been a Guinness World Record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I had a friend who lived down in Dingle for a while and referred to it as a Dolphin ridden fuckhole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Is it possible the lack of tourism and tourists has just caused him to wander off for a while. He usually seeks out human interaction and may not be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Fungoat

He's probably just socially distancing himself. Dolphins are pretty smart, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Had the pleasure of meeting Fungie the dolphin at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fake news!!! Just like 2 unlimited hrs very much alive

I note the hysterical obsessives deleted the original Facebook post lamenting Funghi's demise. My cat disappeared for an hour once and I cried for a week. Some people are too clingy for their own good, however the "Welcome to Funghi Forever" crowd are plain bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Fungie never dies, only the dolphins that play him. Ooh yeah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fungie never dies, only the dolphins that play him. Ooh yeah!!

Bit like Trigger's brush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Exactly.....just like the Healy Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

He's not dead, he was taking a break

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

He's not dead he was living with Peter Griffin's drunken Irish dad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Believe. My neighbour had a sheepdog called Shep for about 60 years.

Turns out he was killing them and cutting them up.

Ah no I made up that last part, and I exaggerated the time frame but the rest is true. My neighbour has a sheepdog called shep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fungi died years ago, another takes its place every so often....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Advertisement