Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars sitting outside shops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit unfair to compare beggars with door to door sales people. I have a lot of respect for the sales guys, they go out and work hard to earn a living, a lot of the time for no guarantee of income.

Hawking crap with no guarantees that no-one wants. What is it, the 1950s? You can get most anything in a brick and mortar shop or online with some form of come back if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

GarIT wrote: »
    I've seen thses around Celbridge and Maynooth getting collected in a €80,000 Range Rover Velar at around 8pm in the evenings.

They are entitled to the dole and HAP they have no need for anything more.

These urban myths about beggars rolling up their piece of cardboard and walking around the corner and getting into a chauffer driven Bentley are laughable. Does anybody who peddles these yarns have any self-respect?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I volunteer with a rough sleeper team and those I see begging during the day when going to or from work I rarely see at night when I'm out with the team.

Those that are short money for dealers are sent to 'work' to get enough for their fix.

Yeah, the day ones in the city are very different than the night ones in the city. Those doing days are more than likely in some type of shelter (or roughing it) and they're generally more chaotic and often cruising the streets shoplifting and tapping.

The ones in the evening I find a lot less chaotic and less dangerous and are mostly out just getting a few quid.

But those out beside where I live (suburbs) tap from morning to evening and aren't dangerous and aren't homeless and receive no less than anyone else on welfare. They just choose to sit outside their local shops and beg. And it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I never, ever give beggars money, I have maybe twice in my life, I've bought a coffee and a bar etc for a few of them before.

Ever since a young girl who I know to see begging around town, came into a shop I worked in a few years ago claiming she was a hairdresser down the road and had lost her purse and she needed money to get home, I dont trust most beggars,

my boss (who was a very kind and generous person) wanted to help her immediately and said come in, sit down, I'm leaving in a half hour and I will bring you to where you need to go.

She refused and said she would prefer to get a taxi back, can he lend her twenty quid and she will drop it back tomorrow since she 'only works up the road'

He gave in, and gave her the money out of his own till, and she was never seen again of course. Still see her begging around town with swollen hands like balloons from what i assume is injecting heroin or something.

She actually came into the shop one day looking for free food after that, I told her where to go, the cheeky bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How does an EU citizen get trafficked to another EU country, makes no sense, they can leave any time and have free movement rights so would have no issue with being here illegally.
    Trafficking doesn't mean smuggling into a country without permission of entry.
    It is a form of modern slavery.

The Act (What is done)
    Recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons

The Means (How it is done)
    Threat or use of force, coercion, abduction, fraud, deception, abuse of power or vulnerability, or giving payments or benefits to a person in control of the victim

The Purpose (Why it is done)
    For the purpose of exploitation, which includes exploiting the prostitution of others, sexual exploitation, forced labour, slavery or similar practices and the removal of organs.

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/what-is-human-trafficking.html#What_is_Human_Trafficking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

These urban myths about beggars rolling up their piece of cardboard and walking around the corner and getting into a chauffer driven Bentley are laughable. Does anybody who peddles these yarns have any self-respect?

Maybe not as exaggerated as you put it, but begging rings exist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%25C3%25AD-arrest-46-people-over-organised-begging-in-dublin-1.3696911%3fmode=amp

If you want to give something, offer food or a tea or coffee. That sorts out genuine cases from spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭paul71

biko wrote: »
    Are they Irish or Roma?
    Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
    https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/irish-news/organised-beggars-flying-from-romania

Romania has one of the smaller Roma populations of Europe. The Roma here are more likely to be Czech, Slovak or Hungarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've never seen them get into a chauffer driven Bentley but I've seen beggars dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening.

I've also seen a family group that parked up and then got out and changed from their decent leather jackets for ragged old ones.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Get Real

No they're not urban myths. At least with a certain section. Granted, not chauffer driven Bentleys

But do they roll up their cardboard and hop into cars after? Yes.

Do they receive the dole and accommodation? Yes.

I know one family, because I lived in the apartment next door in Tallaght, who own their apartment. Kids going to school, normal life.

Still drove into town and got the cardboard out. Travelled back home every few months.

I'm pro imigration and believe in diversity and inclusiveness for all BTW. I'm not coming in with that angle.

Just making the point that it is entirely possible some are living relatively normal lives, and are not in the gutter.

humberklog wrote: »
    I know more addicts that live ordinary lives, with jobs (even those that don't have a job wouldn't go begging as they're financially grand) and look after their families and keep a roof over their heads.

What are they addicted to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've seen it with my own eyes.

I'd know most of them around the south part of the city and some of them are funny fookers and sound when they know you.

One guy does have a cracking intro- "sorry gents, any change?"

Mumble, mumble, shuffle "no 'fraid not."

Beggar- ah balls me car insurance is crippling me and it's a pre '08 so the tax on it is mental.

Usually this gets a big laugh and (clever enough) gets him a few bob. This guy doesn't drive, isn't a junkie, has a nice pad in the Iveagh Trust buildings and isn't short for anything. When that joke works I even give a couple of quid.

A few lads have laughed at my response to their request for change which is "sorry bud, you're better off then myself".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I can assure you they are making way more money than me at the moment and that's excluding what they make tapping.

They get their dole, HAP, heating allowance and whatever else they're "entitled' to. I get nothing, I've two barely struggling shops with almost nothing coming in and I'm not claiming PUP.

These people are out begging to make more money. That's all it is. They aren't millionaires but they're no harder up financially than than anyone else on welfare.

A real shame that the points for begging went up so high this year, H. You could have made a good career out of it.

Would you think of trying a different “route”? Maybe give up the retail, roll up your sleeves, and take to the streets?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

messrs wrote: »
    Was walking down the quays few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, guy stopped me and asked for money, like you I said , sorry I cant help I don't carry cash - he then came right up in my face and told me to walk back to a shop with him and buy him stuff on my card!

headbutt to the noggin will sort that cnut out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Augeo wrote: »

sponging of decent folk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

headbutt to the noggin will sort that cnut out

I'm barely 5 foot so wouldn't be able to reach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Addicted to free everything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Is the solution to this €100 on the spot fines for anyone giving them money? Handle it similar to prostitution.

Sooooooo...we punish genuine people living on the street?

If I give a tenner to a genuine person living on the street (and, much to our great shame, we have no shortage of them) I should be handed an on the spot fine of €100?

Rarely have I read such bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The traveler one who aggressively begs on the bridge in Stephens gn saying she’s hungry, lives in the estate next to me and the husband drives a Hyundai s40 and they are far from hungry. I fume every time I see her.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Heroin. Fully functioning addicts.

• Advertisement

There are those that are genuinely homeless, and I have sympathy for them. Falling between the cracks of society, and just trying to squeeze by day to day. Loose change in my pocket is better served in their hat or cup.

Then there are those who quietly exit the minivan early in the morning with clear instructions on where to go. Almost universally, they are not native to this soil and aggressively approach strangers on the street. I have witnessed this phenomenon outside Arthur's Quay in Limerick, a popular begging area as there a series of bus stops nearby. These people are not authentically homeless, and need to be prosecuted and/or deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Those 2 aul ones that beg in Fairview, every day for the last I don't know 10 years? Does anyone know these ones?
    They're travellers anyway and live in a house in Coolock. There are also 2 traveller women that beg in the city centre, around the Grafton/Dawson st area, who I've sat beside getting the bus home once and they were counting out about 200 quid, then they're collected by their sons or whoever in vans when we got off the bus.
    Many of them are scamming, I'm sure the women I've mentioned above already get a heap of money in welfare and they're certainly not homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sooooooo...we punish genuine people living on the street?

If I give a tenner to a genuine person living on the street (and, much to our great shame, we have no shortage of them) I should be handed an on the spot fine of €100?

Rarely have I read such bollocks.

There was an article last year stating we had 97 people living on the streets in the country and 96 homeless charities. The onyl reason we have high numbers of holemess on paper is that living with your parents now counts as homeless. I'll have a look for it after work.

I know more addicts that live ordinary lives, with jobs (even those that don't have a job wouldn't go begging as they're financially grand) and look after their families and keep a roof over their heads.
    Heroin. Fully functioning addicts.

I know a couple who have roofs over their heads but they'd be dealing and stealing etc.
    A heroin habit costs over a grand/week to maintain........... there aren't many folk financially grand on heroin and looking after their families.

Unless you are referring to folk on methadone programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Can’t win with the misers on here..

You just keep proving how awful you are.
    One of the worst posters on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Would you think of trying a different “route”? Maybe give up the retail, roll up your sleeves, and take to the streets?

Why not let any begger live with you if they are stuck on the streets???
    Get off your hobby horse. Spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

GarIT wrote: »
    There was an article last year stating we had 97 people living on the streets in the country and 96 homeless charities. The onyl reason we have high numbers of holemess on paper is that living with your parents now counts as homeless. I'll have a look for it after work.

Yeah, that's some bull**** right there. Only 97 on the streets?! I pass 5 every day just myself, on the short walk between the bus stop and the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

A real shame that the points for begging went up so high this year, H. You could have made a good career out of it.

It's not points, it's a neck like a jockeys bollocks ya need.

Yeah, that's some bull**** right there. Only 97 on the streets?! I pass 5 every day just myself, on the short walk between the bus stop and the office.

In Dublin 2019...... https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/homelessness/minister-murphy-publishes-winter-rough-sleeper-count-homeless-quarterly#:~:text=It%20represents%20a%2041%25%20decrease,lowest%20since%20Rebuilding%20Ireland%20began.

Winter Rough Sleeper Count

The Official Winter Rough Sleeper Count was carried out on the night of 26 November into the morning of 27 November 2019.
    It represents a 41% decrease on Winter 2018 figure – a total of 92 persons are confirmed as rough sleeping across the Dublin region in Winter 2019 compared to 152 in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The five you see may not be homeless at all.

Advertisement