Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 1970s - The Decade That Taste Forgot?

Comments

I kind of think the 70s were a kind of zenith in terms of style Tbh..

Flares and blazers on the gentlemen..
    Those short skirts and knee high boots on the ladies..I mean like, damn...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

CQD wrote: »
    I kind of think the 70s were a kind of zenith in terms of style Tbh..

Flares and blazers on the gentlemen..
    Those short skirts and knee high boots on the ladies..I mean like, damn...

But you'd have to put paper bags over everyone's heads to hide the terrifying hair.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    But you'd have to put paper bags over everyone's heads to hide the terrifying hair.

The ladies were foxy..

CQD wrote: »
    The ladies were foxy..

We still are...

I was a teen from 1974 onwards, and the young men's hair was a big turn off for me. There were the odd funky items to wear. I well remember the orange kitchens. My aunt in Bray got her large kitchen painted orange, her older teenage children pinned those orange and yellow flying fish to the ceiling, and I asked could we paint our small kitchen orange, so I was given a paintbrush. Before that kitchens were absolutely featureless, so it was the first ever real attempt to make something out of a typical suburban kitchen. We couldn't afford to stretch to the avocado bathroom, but they were typically being fitted to new builds.

• Advertisement

I was a teen from 1974 onwards, and the young men's hair was a big turn off for me. There were the odd funky items to wear. I well remember the orange kitchens. My aunt in Bray got her large kitchen painted orange, her older teenage children pinned those orange and yellow flying fish to the ceiling, and I asked could we paint our small kitchen orange, so I was given a paintbrush. Before that kitchens were absolutely featureless, so it was the first ever real attempt to make something out of a typical suburban kitchen. We couldn't afford to stretch to the avocado bathroom, but they were typically being fitted to new builds.

Kitchens were only starting to change from totally functiontal areas for cooking, cleaning and storage. Our kitchen in the seventies only had a fitted unit under the sink, there was a free standing dresser from the 50/60s for non perishables and crockery, a fridge (no fridge freezer til 1977), a twin tub that was heaved into the middle of the room once a week (Friday)and was in operation from dawn til dusk (chippy dinners on wash day) and was used as a work surface the rest of the week, a formica table with foldable wings and two stools that were stored under it when not in use, three chairs and a cooker with a grill up top. Nothing matched. Lots of buckets and basins here and there for use on wash day. The idea of the kitchen needing to be a pleasant place visually was still quite 'notiony'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

You can look back on any decade and you'll find nightmarish style. The one piece of clothing I hated from the 70s was the tank top. A woman in our flats used to knit the bleeding things and they were gross. About style in general one person idea of style can be another persons version of monstrosity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

How can you criticise a decade that gave us flared trousers, Gary Glitter, Noddy Holder AND Showaddywaddy?

Edgware wrote: »
    How can you criticise a decade that gave us flared trousers, Gary Glitter, Noddy Holder AND Showaddywaddy?

Ah Lsd will do that for you. Glitter should've been castrated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

We've gone back to that again.
    The dyed blonde hair, neo-mullets and weird bouffants on lads in their teens and 20s nowadays are cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And Sally Carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Architecture here at any rate was urban concrete brutalism or rural bungalow blight, not much better now with architects with a horn for boring glass boxes everywhere.

Overuse of carpet, esp in places where carpet wasn't practical, pubs and toilets. Disliked the "busy" wallpaper favoured at the time, would give you a headache just looking at it.

Coloured bathroom suites date very quickly. Best stick to timeless white, can't go wrong.

Kylta wrote: »
    Ah Lsd will do that for you. Glitter should've been castrated
    Large bottles of Harp made everything look rosy especially while smoking a few Woodbines.
    And how could a decade that gave "Oh no its Selwyn Froggit" starring the late great Bill Maynard be called lacking in taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Those ABBA outfits were cringeworthy alright, but sexy as hell.

Other fashion crimes included platform shoes, giant sideburns, bell-bottoms & shiny white boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I often wonder what will people thinkof Dermot Bannon houses in forty years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Most giving out in this thread about the 70s were born during the 70s, memories of five year olds!
    Those in the threads who actually remember the 70s as teens or adults, say that particular decade was generally OK

Who to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I do remember Vesta curries, but was too young to eat them, the DA loved them, so exotic lol.

Mam was delighted, all in one pack, as far as I remember they were boiled or something. No mickeywaves around then.

I do remember Vesta curries, but was too young to eat them, the DA loved them, so exotic lol.

Mam was delighted, all in one pack, as far as I remember they were boiled or something. No mickeywaves around then.

I loved vesta currys! Boiled - the rice was in a bag and the 'meat' sauce was in a type of tin container. Used to have them in the 80s.

Large bottles of Harp made everything look rosy especially while smoking a few Woodbines.
    And how could a decade that gave "Oh no its Selwyn Froggit" starring the late great Bill Maynard be called lacking in taste

There a memory, I used to rob my grannys woodbines when I was small, and my da smoke players. Do they still sell harp?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I don't get the hate for men's hairstyles. Looking at photos of myself as a boy I have to say I think the cuts I had then and evev my '80s mullet look better than the Kim Jong Un meets original Blackadder style sported by many young men today

• Advertisement

I'd love one now! I was introduced to hot food fairly young and took to it instantly.

There a memory, I used to rob my grannys woodbines when I was small, and my da smoke players. Do they still sell harp?
    I don't know about the Harp. Gold Flake, Sweet Afton were very popular and I remember a little shop in our town just down from the secondary school. The lady there used sell cigarettes in ones or twos to us hard men who were starting off our smoking careers.

Apart from the exoticism of Vesta curries, food was generally very bland, poor quality, repetitive. Meat was of poor quality, the butchers kept aside any de ent cuts for hotels and catering, and some of them displayed quite an attitude if your mother complained and said she wanted a better cut next time, there'd usually be some cheeky remark like "you're lucky to have meat missus, and it's all good". It would have cost an absolute fortune, and the only affordable stuff was poor quality mince.

Eating out was mostly done in hotel dining rooms or "grills" where fried plaice, the classic mixed grill, etc, with chips, would be usual fare. Dessert was usually apple pie or in late 70s Black Forest Gateau. Prawn cocktail, melon or half a grapefruit with cherry on top, were usual starters. If you were seriously splashing out for an occasion smoked salmon was the no. 1 choice. Standalone restaurants were relatively few and far between, but you did gave the odd relatively affordable place like the Berni Inn where you could push the boat out and order steak, and even Irish/Calypso etc coffee for afters!

I remember, after starting work, bringing my mother on an annual 3 night winter break to somewhere like Edinburgh, and I couldn't stretch to the optional full breakfast, as all the money had been spent on air fare and hotel bed. We had to stick to continental. On the other hand the following year I took her to a Berni Inn hotel in Bristol and we got steak for breakfast! There was a wine bar in the hotel of all things, however no en-suite bathrooms in the rooms. En-suites bedrooms in hotels were not that commonplace, and in Ireland you always had to go to a "Grade A" hotel to be guaranteed one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some wonderful examples of men’s fashion in the mid 1970s.... :D:pac:

11417_q7v8yncrtwaxih6y.jpeg

11417_cm2hrqpsil6ocwz4.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I'm drinking cans of Harp right now ;) And it's still available in bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Adidas Rom , jayzus that's after bringing back some memories.

Don't forget Adidas Hurricane too. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Now, I’m reckoning that that the vast majority on the boards here won’t even remember the 1970s - I myself only vaguely remember the very end of that decade as I was born half way though it - but does it really live up to its reputation as a decade of appalling taste?

The evidence:
    Flares
    Platform shoes
    Bathroom carpet
    Fabric/wooly toilet seat covers
    Avocado, pink and chocolate colour bathrooms
    Garish, bold patterned wallpaper
    The all-electric house
    Urban motorways
    Mock Georgian style suburban houses
    Wood paneled pub interiors
    Bungalow bliss (blitz, more like)

Anyone else agree - or beg to differ?

all valid points

however look at this generation.

Everyone in tracksuits, even obese people, who never seen a track or did exercise in their life.
    Young kids with their manky tracksuits tucked in to their off white socks.

The cars today might be better than those in the 70s, but they all look the kind of the same.

Things are so bad in music, most songs are rehased, and worse than the original.

The best movies and tv shows are remakes and they are not better, and only done because there is limited creativity..

Things like soccer is played by soft people who fall over at anything, not like the players in the 70s

My point, I think the present time is probably worse than the 70s....at least the 70s might look awful to many today.....what will this generation look like in future years

The ladies' hair was sexy I thought. Those swishy styles with the sides curled back like PC Annie Cartwright from Life On Mars....yum!

Kitchens were only starting to change from totally functiontal areas for cooking, cleaning and storage. Our kitchen in the seventies only had a fitted unit under the sink, there was a free standing dresser from the 50/60s for non perishables and crockery, a fridge (no fridge freezer til 1977), a twin tub that was heaved into the middle of the room once a week (Friday)and was in operation from dawn til dusk (chippy dinners on wash day) and was used as a work surface the rest of the week, a formica table with foldable wings and two stools that were stored under it when not in use, three chairs and a cooker with a grill up top. Nothing matched. Lots of buckets and basins here and there for use on wash day. The idea of the kitchen needing to be a pleasant place visually was still quite 'notiony'.

I remember when we got a washing machine and it was being installed in the kitchen to much fanfare by the technicians. Afterwards my sister exalted "we don't need the sink anymore now" to which my mother shot back "And where am I going to wash the cups?"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I don't get the hate for men's hairstyles. Looking at photos of myself as a boy I have to say I think the cuts I had then and evev my '80s mullet look better than the Kim Jong Un meets original Blackadder style sported by many young men today

Partings were very popular, find your parting and comb your hair, splash on the Old Spice or Brute, put on the medallion, fags in denim jacket, and off you go to the Disco to show your funky moves to the ladies :)

Showaddywaddy...

Advertisement