Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lockdown - Have You Gained Weight?

Options
  • 03-06-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Since it started i've put on over a stone.
    Causes : Less activity due to not working (on furlough)....
    Eating too much crap. Housemates baking. Drinking a bit more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

About 2 stone gain ,

Went from being active 6 days a week , walking the 2km to work every day ,to eating out of boredom and driving everywhere for work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Quite the opposite. Started a new year's resolution in January to get to a healthy weight.
    Im 6ft 2" guy and I weighed 96kg. I'm down to 79kg now. Still having treats, I have 1 takeaway a week usually on Saturday.
    Just eating healthy and cut out 90% of snacks. On average i was losing 1kg a week or so.
    While I was already pursuing weight before lockdown, I think the lockdown has actually helped me stay on track. No meeting up with mates to go drinking has definitely been the biggest help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

No more gym in the mornings and piles of overtime equals weight gain and low morale. Haven't had a day off since last year either. Tired, over worked and missing the gym.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Lost half a stone.
    Less work meant more flexibility around exercise time and the weather's been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Down 1.5-2kg
    No effort made, much less exercise being had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Eating out of boredom has been a major one for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I put on about 1kg. I find it almost impossible to loose even a bit of weight so there is a good chance it will be kept. It's probably because of higher alcohol consumption and a lot of bbquing. I suspect my muscle mass increased so its not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Maintained. That's not what I wanted, because I've been consistently losing weight for a few years and I'm very close to my goal weight.

But I'm happy with a maintain. I was eating far more while off work, and exercising a lot less

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Was 94kg when it began but I've pulled it back to 90-91kg thanks to a lot of online core work and cycling/turbo sessions.

Would be even less only for the way we're splurging at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

No. I've lost 3 pounds (converting back to imperial as Irish people tend to refer to height, weight, and quantities of alcohol consumed in those measurements). I'm 6' 2" and 194 lbs.

I'm very moderate in my eating and drinking habits, and don't enjoy the feeling of being uncomfortably full or drunk. I also have a Peloton bike in my apartment, and do some moderate weight work to compliment my cardio routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lost exactly 7kg since about two weeks before the lockdown started. Eating less and doing a bit more exercise, but I can't claim it's anything too hectic. But obviously the ad is right and every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Put on weight when the routine got shaken up. Used to run or cycle to work most days but some days don't get more than 2000 steps

However I'm coming back now as I'm making sure to run at lunchtime and have cleared out the garage for a home gym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Put on about a stone - no gym, driving everywhere, eating too much crap out of boredom.

There's going to be a lot of people with a lot of work to do when this is all over I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I’m wearing a pair of jeans that haven’t fitted me in a year. Without a belt they are falling off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Gained a full stone :(

With my usual routine out the window I've become aimless. No gym, no walking to work. Indulging in cans and junk food a little too often :rolleyes:

Got a fitness tracker band two weeks ago, to at least try a minimum of 10k steps per day, and am now logging all calories on an app.

Probably wont make much of a difference until the gyms are back and with them, my motivation returns.

I miss leg day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have actually lost weight on the scale. Pretty sure its all muscle though.

But I am a small person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have put on 5 kilos. I had a job where I was on my feet all day. My phone would clock 10k steps a day and that's just from walking to and from work, plus walking around during lunch. It wouldn't count the 8 hours a day on my feet working. I would easily clock 20k steps a day.

I'm basically back to the weight I was before the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Idjit wrote: »
    Gained a full stone :(

With my usual routine out the window I've become aimless. No gym, no walking to work. Indulging in cans and junk food a little too often :rolleyes:

Got a fitness tracker band two weeks ago, to at least try a minimum of 10k steps per day, and am now logging all calories on an app.

Probably wont make much of a difference until the gyms are back and with them, my motivation returns.

I miss leg day :(

At least you're trying though.
    My motivation has taken a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I would highly recommend using the My Fitness Pal app to log what food you eat if you're looking to lose weight. It felt like having someone watching me which made me less inclined to eat the bad stuff and gave me a good insight into how I should eat a more balanced diet.
    I tracked my weight daily but made Thursday my official "weigh day". If I was up a bit on the Monday compared to the previous Thursday I would make it my goal to get below where I was by the next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm losing weight, well, according to my family. I don't weigh myself anymore and judge by eye. I'm not the fittest I've ever been, but I'm also far from the unhealthiest I've ever been. I think it's a combination of wanting to keep the weight down (after spending €1500 on a 3 month personal trainer - it worked both physically and mentally... well, mentally to a degree), living at home with the parents (spuds for dinner every day, but all homemade with no pre-made anything), and the fact that there's no longer 35 places willing to deliver any type of food to me (bless country living).

I also find i'm eating less shyte than usual, even when I'm smoking. I feel like i'm coming to the cusp of a change, and I'm hoping it's for the better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Down 17 lbs.

Find it easier to avoid buying crap on the weekly shop as opposed to when passing by Spar every few minutes. And when there's no crap in the house, that rules out snacking.

More time in the day makes it easier to go for a spin around the block too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Started slipping at the beginning. Pieced together a ramshackle home gym in the garage and made a new routine i.e. get a solid 20-30 mins in every lunchtime. I'm the same weight now (having lost the initial spare tyre put on) but in notably better shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Down about 3 kilos to my lowest ever weight, 71 kilos. Just been exercising that bit more.

I gained weight at the start when the gyms shut, my routine was shot and I was eating too much crap. Over the last month I made a conscious effort to stop snacking every time I went into the kitchen and trying not to eat anything after dinner. Dropped 3kg over the last few weeks.
    I have some dumbells and resistance bands and do alternating upper/lower body work every day for approx 45 minutes. I cannot wait for the gym to reopen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Lost weight when we had to close the shop.

I was at home with the wife for a few weeks so was eating her rabbit food. Normally she gives me a lunch to bring in with me, which I throw in the bin. I usually send one of the young lads in the shop to buy me a chipper or burrito instead. Back to work the last whilr so I'd say I'll put back on what I lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I work outdoors in a very active job (soccer coach) so my steps and overall activity was DRASTICALLY reduced when the virus started causing problems here at the end of February. We also had a very strict lockdown and we were not allowed exercise outdoors here for 4 weeks. No 2km grace that ye got! But now the weather is getting really hot so I see my steps being reduced again unless I start setting the alarm for 6am.

But I have managed to maintain my weight give or take a kilo. Got my hands on second hand barbells and dumbells but I've surprised myself with my nutrition!

It's about the diet really. If your activity has reduced then you need to tighten the diet.

I have been in a fat loss mode for over a year so this maintain phase is probably what my body needed to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Normally I was walking 4 miles as part of my daily commute. Missing that really hit me and I put on weight. I've managed to get things under control but damn that was too easy to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Lost over 10 Kg, or 1 Stone 10 lbs. Eating less crap, haven't had a burger and chips since before lockdown, I cook every meal now instead of buying stuff in Centra or some cafe.

Started walking 10 miles a day, went out 2-3 times a day and walked about 5-8 km each time. Also got back running, did the C 2 5k and am now on the C 2 10k plan.

I was badly overweight, still need to lose another 20 Kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Weighed myself this morning, haven't had a drink in nearly 3 weeks and started eating better and jogging almost every day, went from 90kg to 85.9kg this morning. That's over 9lbs. Wasn't fat to begin with but now I'm just way more lean.
    I had got into a habit for the first couple of months of lockdown of having a few beers and usually some reefer pretty much every night, so knocked all that on the head.
    I'm also sleeping better, no fog in my brain, full of energy and my mood is up a lot. F you alcohol!
    It's easy once you get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Lost 6kg in the last 2 weeks was eating too much before lock down and decided to cut calories and move more was struggling to get 3000 steps in before now walking 5k every morning a shed load more energy now

Advertisement