Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'll be lynched but Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Black and decker

Total sh1te

Used to be brilliant in the 80s have 3 drills by them older than myself and a few other things still working grand.

But then some fat lazy English bastid working for them decided he was too good for actually making power tools so he decided to team up with some Hu Flung Dung manufacturer in Guangdong or Wuhan to make some power tools on the cheap with the same brand name. Aforementioned fat English guy got to spend 20 years with a brand new Lamborghini under his hole and doing very little work while he ran his brand name well and truly into the ground.

Ditto for AEG, Russel hobbs. Hard to think of a big name manufacturer who hasn't fallen victim to this carry on in some way. Even world famous mad expensive oscilloscope manufacturer Agilent (now Keysight) was caught selling relabled Chinese scopes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Speak Now wrote: »
    I'll be lynched but Guinness!

Are you referring to Guinness as a stout or as a brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BMW, Mercedes and Audi basically all the German "premium" car range. All style over substance, unreliable, horrendously hard to work on and mortgage level repair bill when something goes wrong.
    Even standard German makes are overrated as well - Opel (pure muck) and VW (about the best of a bad lot granted)

what cars do you like may i ask ?

i dont disagree with you on the germans by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Has anyone said Apple yet? Branding at it's best leading to overpricing.
    Trying to pretend they care and rip people off when they want an Apple product repaired.

Also McDonalds - horrible food - much prefer local Italian chippers

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Can I kick off with Dyson?

Yeah I had a Dyson vacuum. It sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Dolmio is about as Italian as my big toe. Neighbour had an Italian aupair a few yrs back and she said she never heard or saw Dolmio sauces back home.

We've holidayed in Italy a few times and never saw Dolmio on the supermarket shelves over there either. What we did see was Barilla sauces which we tried while there and found fine. They sell them in Tesco so we use them as an emergency standby, but making your own tomato sauce is so easy that most of the time the jar stays in the cupboard.

We never buy Dolmio. When's-a your pasta day me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

VW fine, Audi fine, but BMW? Had a BMW. Great take off and in a straight line. And comfort, sitting almost on the floor, crippling on any long journey. Cars half the price were like luxury models.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Falthyron wrote: »
    Everything and anything related to Apple.

It's worth paying a premium for Apple devices because they are the last major tech company who still give half a damn about personal privacy. It's the tech equivalent of the overton window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Iodine1 wrote: »
    VW fine, Audi fine, but BMW? Had a BMW. Great take off and in a straight line. And comfort, sitting almost on the floor, crippling on any long journey. Cars half the price were like luxury models.

What car exactly are you referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Toyota Land Cruiser, a totally over rated jeep.

Couldn't agree more, good durability and stamina for normal work but haven't the guts when worked for a living, plenty good for farmers and the equestrian types who pull small loads now and again, for the price of them i think people who buy them are really only after an image rather than a workhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ya, Dysons are shít. Get yourself a Miele, Nilfisk or Henry.

Nespresso coffee isn’t up to much is it?

Henry : no way.
    My one is a clumpy yolk and the handle part is very cumbersome to move around the floor.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Toyota Land Cruiser, a totally over rated jeep.

Mazda cars, their absolutely brutal. Constant engine poblems with them

John Deere, they used to be value for money now their way over priced.
    Only the Mazda diesel engines, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Can I kick off with Dyson?

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generated is something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked to within an inch of it's life.

So, what brands do you think are overrated?

Have a dyson...3 years still going strong...it was pricey but its so convenient and easy to clean and maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭threeball

Iodine1 wrote: »

Agree the Audi A6 is a fine car, built like a tank. Mate had a BMW 5 series and it felt cheap as chips. Like the panelling would come off in your hand. Wouldn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Have a dyson...3 years still going strong...it was pricey but its so convenient and easy to clean and maintain

I have a Miele since 1995 and it's still working perfectly and all the parts are fully available - filters, bags, hoses, brushes ...
    It's quiet, extremely powerful, built very well, excellent filtration. HEPA filters just snap in and are easily available from Miele online, 23+ years after the machine was made.

Had a Dyson and found it way less practically built and far too noisy.

Miele's washing machines and dryers are expensive but they're nearly commercial laundrette quality and just go on and on and on.

I don't really agree with the criticism of Apple though. They're over priced, I'll agree with that, but in general I've found their hardware and service to be excellent over the years - when I have had an issue they've been brilliant for support and even complete replacement of machines. Also they support with software updates for MUCH longer than any Android vendor, including Google and you don't have those annoying vendor-specific delays on rollout of new software. Some of the Android manufacturers are beyond bad with that.

Apple definitely had a rather lagging behind the state-of-the-art for a while with iPhones but that's generally passed.

Of the items I've found poor recently:

Samsung - found support very bad for a Galaxy Note 9 that developed hardware issues and the device was also far too fragile.

Sony - again poor support for AV stuff.

Google - Completely abandoned my Nexus when it was quite new. No further updates. Effectively bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cadburys 10000000%. Muck.

Cadburys 10000000%. Muck.

Well that's since the takeover by Mondelez. Chocolate is best not made by accountants and fund managers. Chocolatiers are far better!

They also will put Oreos in EVERYTHING and assume that everyone likes Oreos ...

E.g. Philadelphia with Oreos: https://www.philadelphia.de/produkte/philadelphia-mousse/philadelphia-mousse-oreo?p=29727&provider=%7BD193998A-4A6D-4EA5-BAA8-209357B27A09%7D&categoryId=18739

Cadbury's with Oreos: https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/cadbury-dairy-milk-oreo-11298

Milka with Oreos : https://www.milka.nl/products/milka-countlines/milka-oreo?p=8361&provider=%7BD193998A-4A6D-4EA5-BAA8-209357B27A09%7D&categoryId=5559

Basically their solution to everything seems to be acquire really good brand like Cadbury's or Milka or inherit Philadelphia from Kraft.
    Reduce the quality of the ingredients by accounting based cooking and then stuff it full of Oreos.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mikemac2 wrote: »
    In 2010 were you comparing it against other phones on the market for 2010?

The phone I had immediately after that was the Galaxy S2 and that was just so good in terms of everything, it pissed all over the iPhone of then for me.. brilliant piece of technology and I think it’s one of the reasons why I stuck with Samsung phones ever since. I have a J6 now which is an amazing piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Hey, Have any of you guys said Apple? Or maybe Bono? he's bad too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

RTE
    close thread
    end of discussion
    wont be topped

Strumms wrote: »
      The phone I had immediately after that was the Galaxy S2 and that was just so good in terms of everything, it pissed all over the iPhone of then for me.. brilliant piece of technology and I think it’s one of the reasons why I stuck with Samsung phones ever since. I have a J6 now which is an amazing piece of kit.

I don't get too brand loyal with these things. If you're looking at Apple, Samsung, Huawei or any of them they jump ahead of the game now and again, and lag behind now and again.

Apple definitely went through a period of insisting on releasing stupidly small screen phones when the market had shifted to full phablets. It took them a while to get out of that as they'd a notion I suspect that it was going to catabolise the iPad, which it absolutely did.

iPad is now targeting something more of a laptop replacement, and iPhones are doing most of the things that iPads were pitched to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have a Dyson hairdryer.

Worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Dyson v5 absolute crap, replaced it with an 80 euro vacuum that is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sky King wrote: »
      Yeah I had a Dyson vacuum. It sucked.

I had one but sold it as all it was doing was gathering dust

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Couldn't agree more, good durability and stamina for normal work but haven't the guts when worked for a living, plenty good for farmers and the equestrian types who pull small loads now and again, for the price of them i think people who buy them are really only after an image rather than a workhorse

You're thinking of the range rover which wealthy lifestyle ranchers and equestrian types go for

Landcruiser were never about immage, all about reliability

What is a better jeep than a landcruiser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

anewme wrote: »
      Have a Dyson hairdryer.

Worth every penny.

Interesting, how is it better than a non Dyson hairdryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Cadburys chocolate, it's gone to ****

Bought by the Americans who are bringing the product down to their low standards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's worth paying a premium for Apple devices because they are the last major tech company who still give half a damn about personal privacy. It's the tech equivalent of the overton window.

Yeah they are saint like. (all you have to do is look up right to repair and how Apple try and get people to spend, spend spend - example planned obsolescence)

Also all those personal privacy issues can be changed manually in other devices from other companies if you really want to.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Strumms wrote: »

Firetrap, literally everything I’ve had either shrinks or falls apart.

Firetrap, like a few other 90s brands, have been bought by Mike Ashley and just produce ****e now

Advertisement