Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mgn wrote: »
    I thought it was all systems go now, is it not all signed up regardless of who is in government next.

It is, also we haven't seen the contract as was promised. Is there any penalty clause within the contract if a government unilaterally decides to cancel the contract?

Predictions are that FF will have around 60 seats, approx 20 less than an overall majority, so will require some sort of coalition or confidence and supply agreement with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It is. People like to scaremonger for whatever reason

I'm not scaremongering, this is likely to be repealed
    A slow death because our new government will have a mandate to stop it
    First thing will be a committee (another one)
    It'll be in the courts for years
    I would not be counting my chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

Mortelaro wrote: »

Contract has been signed. The only thing that would hinder it now is Eir messing around (not replacing damaged poles in a reasonable time-frame etc. etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

Actavo are being a bit coy about their involvement with the NBP
    ...or maybe there's another "nationwide Fibre Broadband Project across Ireland"

https://twitter.com/Actavo_HQ/status/1225748852965285890

Mortelaro wrote: »

The FF and SF manifestos seem resigned to the fact that it's going ahead.
    “We will uphold our contractual obligations and ensure it [NBP] is delivered as quickly as possible.”
    https://www.fiannafail.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Fianna-Fail-General-Election-Manifesto-2020.pdf
    Unfortunately due to the omnishambles that has been the National Broadband Plan, under Fine Gael, many rural businesses will not see high speed broadband any time soon. 
With this reality in mind, Sinn Féin wants to establish digital hubs in rural towns across Ireland, replicating the success of the Ludgate Hub in Skibbereen. We believe the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund should partner with others to invest €1 billion over a decade regenerating town centres, including the creation of broadband hubs with work spaces for local businesses. 

https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2020/SF_GE2020_Manifesto.pdf

• Advertisement

Well obviously I hope ye are right but Tim as minister and Soc Dems kicking up about Dennis O'Brien having the sub contracts
    I would be concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

McCourt's NBI awards Enet contract to deliver rural internet

David McCourt’s National Broadband Ireland has awarded Enet, the company he formerly controlled, a contract to help deliver hundreds of rural internet hubs across the country.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/mccourts-nbi-awards-enet-contract-to-deliver-rural-internet-94b7d957

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

could be heading for a second election now

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

fergus1001 wrote: »
    could be heading for a second election now
    From an NBP point of view, it's a good thing SF didn't run more candidates with what they intend to do with it. Having said that, if a second election does happen, it might not bode well if their numbers hold. Reading the SF manifesto, it seems they are happy to go with digital hubs only and may well look to scrap the current NBP, although they have wisely not specifically commented on what they would do with it. I just hope the contract will be too far in and too costly to reverse at the stage the next government comes into power.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

westyIrl wrote: »
    From an NBP point of view, it's a good thing SF didn't run more candidates with what they intend to do with it. Having said that, if a second election does happen, it might not bode well if their numbers hold. Reading the SF manifesto, it seems they are happy to go with digital hubs only and may well look to scrap the current NBP, although they have wisely not specifically commented on what they would do with it. I just hope the contract will be too far in and too costly to reverse at the stage the next government comes into power.

Jim

Can't see it happening. They're pursuing a similar broadband plan up north.

• Advertisement

westyIrl wrote: »

Jim

honestly cant see them pulling it, if they get into power they can blame it on FG and beat them over the head with it if it goes way over cost or take all the credit for rolling it out if it works out

they wouldnt want to give up a win win situation

Timmy Dooley may not make it in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The Cush wrote: »

There is an independent and green candidate left to be eliminated and neither will transfer well to him. Fingers crossed he gets the boot.

And he's gone.

Dial up Timmy is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Dial up Timmy is gone

I'm sure there will be a wireless company somewhere to give him a cushy corporate gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

theguzman wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be a wireless company somewhere to give him a cushy corporate gig.

I can't Imagine that happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Adios dimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Dial up Timmy is gone
    Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

• Advertisement

Timmy will get a gig in the new Senate
    My opinion now is the NBp is safe given the amount of rural independents elected and what's in the SF manifesto
    So hallelujah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So like will we ever see the rollout site that says when people will actually get connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The Independent is reporting that a FG condition of entering government with FF is continuation of the NBP.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/ind-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The contract it already signed. They're not going to back out now. That article is fluff piece.

From that articled
    Senior ministers have said the price for power Micheál Martin would have to pay is sharing the role of Taoiseach with Leo Varadkar. Other key demands include income tax cuts, improved childcare subsidies and the continued roll-out of rural broadband.
    The continued roll-out of the controversial National Broadband Plan (NBP), which Fianna Fáil has criticised due to its cost, and other rural development initiatives would have to be included under any deal, according to another minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

4site up at my house surveying right now. Live in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

4site up at my house surveying right now. Live in Cork City.

Cork city ? In the nbp area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork city ? In the nbp area ?

Yes, Rochestown (in cork city since the boundary change) is covered by the NBP.

Should be some easy pickings there. I'd reckoned they'd leave urban failures until last. Seems not.
    Might encourage Eircom to speed up their urban FTTP program.

503018.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Hopefully that would make it harder to kill the deal if they are already actively working on individual connections rather than just the BCPs.

Advertisement