Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English mechanic leaves €1.7 million tax free to Sinn Féin

• 31-08-2019 1:04pm

Definitely the most interesting person I've heard of in a while. I think I'll have a change of career if mechanics are earning this much!

English former mechanic leaves Sinn Féin £1.5m in will

Sinn Fein will not have to pay inheritance tax on €1.7m left to party in mechanic's will

Sinn Féin given £1.5m in 'largest ever NI donation'
    SINN Fein will not have to pay any inheritance tax on a £1.5m (€1.7m) gift from an English mechanic who bequeathed the money in his will.

The donation, revealed this week, is believed to the biggest ever made to a political party in Northern Ireland.

Under HM Revenue & Customs rules, any UK political party which has at least two MPs in the House of Commons is not liable to pay inheritance tax on such a gift.

Sinn Fein has seven MPs but because of a Westminster abstentionist policy they do not take their seats in the house.

A political party also qualifies for exemption if it has one MP and received no less than 150,000 votes at the last general election.

Without exemptions, anyone who is left £1.5m would be required to pay around £470,000 in inheritance tax.

The party’s windfall was made public on Thursday by the Electoral Commission.

The benefactor has been identified by a source close to Sinn Fein as former mechanic William E Hampton.

Mr Hampton was born in London and died on January 11, 2018 at his home in Pembrokeshire, Wales, at the age of 82, the source told Press Association (PA).

The pensioner, who was not married and had no children, also left some money to friends and acquaintances, but the main beneficiary was Sinn Fein.

It is understood he spent some time living in Ireland and was a long-term supporter of the party.

The money was paid to Sinn Fein in instalments of £1m and £500,000 in April and May this year....

A Sinn Fein spokesperson said: “We’re obviously pleased that he has chosen to bequest this sum to the party and it’s a positive boost to Sinn Féin in working towards Irish unity and towards our political objectives...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That is a bit if a surprise alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Brand new election posters all round so? Could avoid inheretance tax by setting myself up as a one man political party?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That bloody clutch cost a bomb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Should have had a “stipulation” they must take their elected seats.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

He must of been a damn good mechanic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

His relatives friends and acquaintances must be raging!

But just goes to show, your will is what what you want! Make one now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Wonder did he give the once over check to the vehicles used in the Northern Bank robbery?

that'll keep them in toner cartridges for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Aegir wrote: »
    that'll keep them in toner cartridges for months.

True, as long as nobody takes the piss and sets it to photo quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think Sinn Fein are as surprised as anyone else. Probably not used to getting all that money legally.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

an absolutely wonderful jesture.
    may this great man rest in peace.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Stroke of luck that it went up north and not to HQ down south where it would be too large to be accepted. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Fantastic to clean money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

an absolutely wonderful jesture.
    may this great man rest in peace.

Ya, he donated a load of money to a party of hurlers on the ditch. Stunning gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another example of how the elite get to avoid taxes ordinary Joe Public wouldn't.

If my uncle left me this, I'd be taxed to eyeballs. Why should a political party be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hopefully it means they can shut down a few protection rackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Wonder did he give the once over check to the vehicles used in the Northern Bank robbery?

I'd say the RUC mechanics looked after those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

NIMAN wrote: »
    Another example of how the elite get to avoid taxes ordinary Joe Public wouldn't.

If my uncle left me this, I'd be taxed to eyeballs. Why should a political party be any different?

It’s basically a political donation which aren’t taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

HMRC should be looking at this

• nothing to see here then, huh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

HMRC should be looking at this

I’m sure they know the rules. It’s all above board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

More info. in the Irish Times:-

The English mechanic who left £1.5 million (€1.6 million) to Sinn Féin in his will stipulated the money should only go to a political party connected to Gerry Adams.

William Edward Hampton, who died in Wales aged 82 on January 11th, 2018, leaving an estate valued at £2.6 million, named two senior republicans - Joe Cahill and Dessie Mackin - as his trustees and executors in a will sworn in June 1997 when he was living in a mobile home in Ireland, reported to be in Co Cavan.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/english-mechanic-decided-to-leave-1-5m-to-sinn-féin-while-living-in-mobile-home-in-ireland-1.4004470

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Portsalon wrote: »
    Interesting . Does this happen to everyone living in a mobile home in Cavan . I hear they are very thrifty people;)

Only kidding Cavan folks . I have met many lovely Cavan people .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’m no Sinn Fein fan id never vote for them but it seems to me that the Irish Times and the indo are doing their best to make this sound dodgy when it doesn’t really appear to be? There’s an unmistakable anti Sinn Fein bias at the indo in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

MadYaker wrote: »
    I’m no Sinn Fein fan id never vote for them but it seems to me that the Irish Times and the indo are doing their best to make this sound dodgy when it doesn’t really appear to be? There’s an unmistakable anti Sinn Fein bias at the indo in particular.

Where's William Trevor, Roald Dahl or Frank O'Connor when they're needed!

The short story writes itself:-

A crochety auld fella who is known to have a few bob is living alone in a mobile home in the back of beyond in Cavan. Late one night there's a knock on the door and in walk two men in balaclavas who produce a last will and testament which he is 'persuaded' to sign. The lads shake his hand, thank him for his contribution to Irish Freedom, give him a signed colour picture of Grizzly Adams in a gold frame and depart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A crochety auld fella who is known to have a few bob is living alone in a mobile home in the back of beyond in Cavan. Late one night there's a knock on the door and in walk two men in balaclavas who produce a last will and testament which he is 'persuaded' to sign. The lads shake his hand, thank him for his contribution to Irish Freedom, give him a signed colour picture of Grizzly Adams in a gold frame and depart.
    It must have been the Jaguar parked outside. Always a giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That would be a nice and thoughtful gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

When I read Mechanic , I thought Charles Bronson type mechanic.

• Jim Allister is on the case, with a suspicion that would honour Willie Frazer himself:

Jim Allister writes to National Crime Agency over £1.5m Sinn Fein donation
    Speaking on Radio Ulster, Mr Allister said: "The fact that the acquisition of these assets is unexplained, that they stand somewhat in contradiction with the apparent lifestyle of the individual, and the fact that on hand there is Sinn Fein to provide executors for this Will from within IRA ranks at the time, and that all of the assets are bestowed upon Sinn Fein, those are circumstances that raise legitimate questions.

"It seems to me, the appropriate authority to investigate all of that is the National Crime Agency and that is why I have written to the director of the National Crime Agency today."

When the Belfast Telegraph approached Sinn Fein for comment, a spokesperson replied: "Lol (Laugh out loud)."

We're heading in a bad direction when official political party statements are Lol!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If SF had any sense they’d throw a lot of this to the H&W workers losing their jobs and another load of at Pride comittees all around the province.

The DUP would lose their tiny little minds and it would be a huge vote winner/pr coup.

Advertisement