Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Very nicely executed dathi. Bravo.
    :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

dathi wrote: »
    small coffee table made from trunk of flowering cherry tree

That's lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

My latest effort, stand for a sonos player:

i7cmKMil.jpg

ajEpvXnl.jpg

fDM0Ufll.jpg

iF0WZgOl.jpg

rRj4q9Rl.jpg

9LYnNMYl.jpg

keXFBpRl.jpg

i5xRyibl.jpg

Vaf1SGnl.jpg

IPLaT7pl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭boomdocker

^^^ very pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Right. Posting this to draw a line under it, because I've never come to hate any project so much ... :mad:

It started as a simple idea: make good use of a cold wall. I didn't have quite enough insulation to hand to dry-line the whole rear (north) wall of what we'll call a utility room; and, for reasons that no-one in the locality can explain, this French country house has no cellar. So, waaaaaaay back in 2018 :eek: I decided to replace this mess (and the rickety shelves in particular) with a snazzy new wine-rack and vegetable store.

Cave-1-Before.jpg

Inspired by the great work exhibited on this thread, it was going to be my pièce de résistance ... Well, the rest of the room got done by early 2019, while a gaping unfinished hole in the drylining stared at me and quietly started gathering junk again.

The plan was to make it entirely out of salvaged timber (of which I have a barnful) and to go for a "rustic-chic" rough-ish look, reminiscent of the boxes that fine wines come in. Won't be doing that again! It's bad enough dealing with walls (and floors and ceilings :rolleyes:) that are distorted in three dimensions without deliberately adding imprefections.

Anyway, as of Sunday, and even though it's still missing doorknobs and catches, in the words of the great Frodo Baggins: it is done!

Wine-Rack-1-Doors-Closed.jpg

Wine-Rack-2-Doors-Open.jpg

If you look closely, you can see blood on the floor, where right up to the last minute, the f****kin thing was still fighting me. :mad:

The workmanship is nowhere near what I was hoping for (I gave up trying to do it "right" after the errors, miscalculations, tool failures [thanks, Lidl] and sheer fedupness got the better of me) - but it's fully functional, rodent proof, and - the one thing that did work out as planned - used only scrap wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Greta job, have you enough stock for today, our national holiday :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

There's a can of Guinness and a quarter bottle of Bushmills down the bottom there, beside the potatoes, but they're for my Christmas baking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm insanely jealous of your barn...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

Started quite a simple little project.

It'll be a storage unit for my boy's consoles, games and accessories.

It's the first project I've started in my new shed, and it's great not to have to pack everything away when I'm finished for the evening

548253.jpg

Unit basically finished, bar putting the back on and sanding and painting. Might run a router around the edge of the top, just to break it

548370.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Working on some outdoor furniture recently, everything made from 2x4s. Seats include 1x4. Cushions arrived from IKEA today to finish off this part. Timber was easy but staining and varnishing took a while. Well worth it though.

Lovely job

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

webpal wrote: »
    Working on some outdoor furniture recently, everything made from 2x4s. Seats include 1x4. Cushions arrived from IKEA today to finish off this part. Timber was easy but staining and varnishing took a while. Well worth it though.

what stain/varnish did you use?? and i'm guessing it was jsut PAO, not treated timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A barnful of scrap timber, oh joy. And somewhere to keep it! I had a load of lengths of timber of all varieties that was being stored under a tarp for about 12 months.

Then I found I had some 16ft rough 9 x 1 treated fencing planks (long story) so I used some of them to make a large, 16ft 'coffin' affair with a hinged lid. It is massive but stores all the spare timber, and sits fairly harmlessly beside a hedge where it is not too visible. It doesn't really qualify as woodworking in the splendid sense on this forum, so I will not post pics of it, and apologise for going off topic!

mossym wrote: »
    what stain/varnish did you use?? and i'm guessing it was jsut PAO, not treated timber?

The colour is ebony but I wiped it off with a cloth, which gives a lighter tint, couple of coats of clear varnish with sanding in between. It is pressure treated and was stored indoors before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

looksee wrote: »
    A barnful of scrap timber, oh joy. And somewhere to keep it! I had a load of lengths of timber of all varieties that was being stored under a tarp for about 12 months.

Then I found I had some 16ft rough 9 x 1 treated fencing planks (long story) so I used some of them to make a large, 16ft 'coffin' affair with a hinged lid. It is massive but stores all the spare timber, and sits fairly harmlessly beside a hedge where it is not too visible. It doesn't really qualify as woodworking in the splendid sense on this forum, so I will not post pics of it, and apologise for going off topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVCWKx0hIM

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Lovely stuff!! Could I ask if you could show any more pics of the frame or a link to any plans you followed?
    Am planning on building same next month, but had thought about making the frame out of 1” box iron.

bamayang wrote: »
    Lovely stuff!! Could I ask if you could show any more pics of the frame or a link to any plans you followed?
    Am planning on building same next month, but had thought about making the frame out of 1” box iron.

Sure, it’s on Ana White’s website here. On YouTube also. I did the chairs myself but based on same principle.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm insanely jealous of your barn...
    looksee wrote: »
    A barnful of scrap timber, oh joy.

Well ... as I've been using the better quality timber from my stock, the pile of rejected rubbishy pieces inside the door has increased to "better do something about that" levels. So, at the start of the week, I picked out the worst that I could find ...

Scrappy-timber.jpg

... and (despite still suffering PTSD from the wine-rack project :pac: ) went for an all-out "rustic chic" look and an extreme salvage operation:

Rustic-Chic.jpg

30cm/5litre pot of tulips for scale.

Extreme salvage, as this time even the nails were pulled out of the timber and reused, and the varnish is a mix of the dregs of all the different tints that were well past their use-by date (the two planters are the same colour in real life - the difference in the photo is just a trick of the low evening sunlight).

The corner posts were planed and 80-grit sanded, as many of them had blue dye on them, and a lightly chamfered on all edges; the horizontal pieces were simply cut to the right length, but otherwise left in their rough state, complete with bark, nail-holes, sawmill markings and miscellaneous artefacts.

Job oxo...

548620.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Finished my sideboard at last. Bit of a challenge this one-it is 20mm shallower than I wanted due to a router bit with a dodgy bearing which broke, challenging wood grain that was a PITA to plane, etc. but still happy with it.

OYO4X78l.jpg

zkPXZ00l.jpg

p5tac2el.jpg

A0Trpzhl.jpg

YmVxOJHl.jpg

KF7nGmrl.jpg

1Jeou89l.jpg

9QEZmX2l.jpg

6zEUwqvl.jpg

0y2ASUDl.mp4

fQDjbXTl.jpg

MHd9OPZl.jpg

I used lots of scrap bits for the rear panel planed to 10mm as it won't be seen. It looks a bit daft with the heart & sapwood's mixed, but its the only way I could piece it together with the remaining wood.

aZqJ18Hl.jpgBBkCA8Xl.jpg

glynf wrote: »
    I used lots of scrap bits for the rear panel planed to 10mm as it won't be seen. It looks a bit daft with the heart & sapwood's mixed, but its the only way I could piece it together with the remaining wood.

I think the back looks fantastic - not daft at all!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice......

That's a smashing job Glyn. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Very nice work man! 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

This is what I’ve been at for the last week and a half. They eat sandpaper.
    One barrel makes four planters though. :)

Where do you get the barrels?

So finally finished some bar stools and an extra set with matching table. I also took apart my 17 year old shed and replaced all the rotten shiplap, studs etc. I tried to reuse as much as I could and ended up spending about 100 quid on it and 60 on paint. Felt roll I already had from last year.

I’m happy how it turned out, see last pic. The outer shelf folds in and I can put the hatch back up so it’s hardly noticeable.

I doubt I will ever have the time to do something like this again but I will definitely try. Next item on the shopping list is a table saw.

So finally finished some bar stools and an extra set with matching table. I also took apart my 17 year old shed and replaced all the rotten shiplap, studs etc. I tried to reuse as much as I could and ended up spending about 100 quid on it and 60 on paint. Felt roll I already had from last year.

I’m happy how it turned out, see last pic. The outer shelf folds in and I can put the hatch back up so it’s hardly noticeable.

I doubt I will ever have the time to do something like this again but I will definitely try. Next item on the shopping list is a table saw.

Now that's what I call a beer garden - lovely view and great work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

https://imgur.com/wWt3bX1
    Trying to get into doing dovetails again. Might as well make something useful out of them.
    551852.jpg

Advertisement