Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Can I ask anyone who has submitted there application how long it took to put it together?
    Hoping to have it submitted by the June deadline but fear I am running out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Bobjims

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Can I ask anyone who has submitted there application how long it took to put it together?
    Hoping to have it submitted by the June deadline but fear I am running out of time.

You've plenty of time to get it ready for the June deadline. How long it takes to write will vary from person to person.

I started mine in October and did a couple of hours a week on some evenings after work before submitting to my sponsors the week before Christmas.

If you put in a few full days on weekends you'll have no problem getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 devs1978

Hi everyone, some really useful information on this post! Has anyone had their interview yet following submission before the January 18 deadline. I'm due to have my interview in a few weeks. Any further advice from those of you have had a recent interview would be greatly appreciated. I had hoped to get my interview in Belfast but it seems that only Clyde Rd interviews are available now.

devs1978 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, some really useful information on this post! Has anyone had their interview yet following submission before the January 18 deadline. I'm due to have my interview in a few weeks. Any further advice from those of you have had a recent interview would be greatly appreciated. I had hoped to get my interview in Belfast but it seems that only Clyde Rd interviews are available now.

I had my interview last month and was successful in getting CEng. The best thing to do in preparation is to get very familiar with your application submission. You'll need to know as much as possible about the projects that you've written about. The assessors are not trying to catch you out. They just want to ensure that you've been honest in your application and have actually experienced what you've written about.

The assessors also need to be sure that you've demonstrated all of the competencies of a chartered engineer. Make sure you are very familiar with these competencies and have several examples for each to back it up.

Other than that, just try to relax during the interview. Mine was more like a friendly conversation; definitely didn't feel like a job interview. The assessors showed a lot of interest in one of my projects in particular so I had a good time chatting to them about that.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 devs1978

Thanks Bobjims for your help. 2 weeks to prepare now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 xchancellor

Anyone submit Phase 2 for June deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shedy

Hi,
    Can Anyone tell me if there are any Civil based masters in Ireland part time accredited by Engineers Ireland. I am due to graduate in Ireland in 2019 from an accredited program and would like to pursue chartership. I would like to do my masters part time however any part time program. However, I have seen are not EI accredited. They say you can make up the learning outcomes with further learning but what extra will I have to do if I pick an unaccredited masters. Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

As far as I'm aware if you have an accredited level 8 you don't need an accredited masters, any masters will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Simona1986 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware if you have an accredited level 8 you don't need an accredited masters, any masters will do?

No, you still need an accredited masters to fulfil the automatic phase 1 requirement.

There is an accredited part time construction project management masters in Waterford IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Has anyone been called to interview for the June deadline yet? How long does it typically take?

• Advertisement

Just got my report acceptance email this morning. No call for interview yet...'Interview rounds within a 6-month period'. From chatting to others in the office I reckon October/November for Phase 2 interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

cherrytaz wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I just found out that I also did not pass the interview. I'm extremely disappointed and trying to fathom where it went wrong. I felt the interview went well and similar to yourself feel like I have worked extremely hard since graduating and demonstrated progress throughout that meets and exceeds the competencies. I will await feedback but it is very demoralizing.

Hey all,

Just a quick update on this, I just received notification that I achieved Chartered status. I re-applied 18 months after the above initial rejection. So for anyone in the same boat, don't get too down about it, use the recommended time to hone in on your skills and re-apply. Great feeling to finally get it :D:D

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just a quick update on this, I just received notification that I achieved Chartered status. I re-applied 18 months after the above initial rejection. So for anyone in the same boat, don't get too down about it, use the recommended time to hone in on your skills and re-apply. Great feeling to finally get it :D:D

Congrats! Same happened to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Has there been a slow down in applications? Grads from 4 years ago could probably be counted on one hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Im for interview this week. Just wondering how technical the interview gets. Will they ask for some specifics on figures, calcs etc.

Also, for the competencies, how do you approach it. Do you very pointedly say this us how i have achieved competency for this and this is how for that etc or is it the interviewer that leads it?

Also what do you say for your opening statement?

poteen wrote: »
    Im for interview this week. Just wondering how technical the interview gets. Will they ask for some specifics on figures, calcs etc.

Also, for the competencies, how do you approach it. Do you very pointedly say this us how i have achieved competency for this and this is how for that etc or is it the interviewer that leads it?

Also what do you say for your opening statement?

For my opening statement, I had brought in a folder and I included an update on work I had done since I submitted the report, with particular focus on the competencies for all my experience. Plan your statement accordingly I would say.

I don't remember the interview being technical. My report had stated sections which covered each competency, so I mentioned my experience around the competencies instead of saying you had completed competency 1.2 here. But whatever works!

Best of luck. Read back through your report and endure you know it, and how you've met the competencies in your submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bmacsuibhne

I have a couple of question of the Competencies. I am an structural engineer with all of my experience in the USA and I am trying to fill out the Chartered Application. How close did you get to the 500 word limit in each of the competencies? Also how different is Competency 1 and 2? I feel that some of the Guidance examples are very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Hi all, the firm I work for are covering my IEI membership. I havent been a member since 2014 so here I am. Anyway, once they pay for it Im thinking of trying to go for chartership. I was planning on doing another masters, but think it would be better served to get chartered if I am to try to get a job council job. (Not getting any younger). So what is the process to all of this. I have been abroad working in Australia, Papa New Guinea, UK and home, so I have been around and have approx 11 years experience. I know I have to be a member for 3 months, but I was a member prior to 2014 for a long time so Im hoping that will cover it. I have a fair bit of CPD done on my own bat also. In relation to the chartered supporting members, do I look for them or are they assigned to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Billiam5099

Has anyone been through the remote chartership interview process in the last few weeks in these socially distanced times? Were there any particular difficulties with the medium which I should be aware of?

Going for my first chartership interview next week, wish me luck!

I have just been through the online process for my 2nd attempt at Phase 2.

I found it quite seemless and the tech worked well though I'm very used to remote working, screen sharing etc. There was some issues with connection dropping in and out on the reviewers end but didn't really put me off tbh.

Compared to the face to face interview it was like night and day, however my first experience was not a good one so the bar was set very low. So I don't see this format as a dis-advantage at all.

Best advice i can give, although easier said than done, is to relax and take it in your stride and be confident.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply xchancellor. Have you received a result yet?

I'm reasonably experienced at remote working & presenting so hopefully that aspect won't be too challenging.

In terms of interview content, to what extent were the questions technical? Were you quizzed on engineering theory, or was it more to do with how you handled your projects?

Haven't received result yet.

I would say it depends very much on your reviewers to be honest. But would suggest they are more general questions on projects/situations and how you dealt/managed them. Also report content feeds in to this e.g. is your report technical/managerial etc

Probably also depends on your discipline. Have a general response about sustainability/environment and also health & safety.

If you are good at this type of thing (which I am not) you can probably react to questions and lead them in your own direction to get across a certain bit of experience you want to highlight. If you are talking they aren't asking/having to think up awkward questions!

Had my interview last Tuesday. The video conference aspect of it wasn't any sort of hindrance at all. The team was very friendly and polite. The questions were not delving into the intricacies of calculations, but more on what xchancellor said: how you dealt with situations. How did you design H&S into X project? What lead you to Y decision? And why were you confident that that would work? Are you confident that it will go smoothly? Why? How have you planned, budgeted, lead, managed? Lots of detail on leadership and how you develop your team. Asking how I innovated with particular roles. My experience doesn't include being the manager for large teams but more leading one or two, so I had to develop how I show leadership in bringing design/contractor teams around to new concepts or technologies that may be new or unfamiliar to them.

In general, you're pushed until you hit your limit, before they would move on. Don't BS, be honest. Develop for them experience that's comparable if you haven't an exact match of an answer for them.

The membership board are set to meet mid this week (17/6/20 I think), and results will be issued in 3-4 working days thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haulie86

I am thinking about starting my chartership but I have been based in construction (site engineering) and not design or consultancy. Is it possible for me still to get chartered?

Haulie86 wrote: »
    I am thinking about starting my chartership but I have been based in construction (site engineering) and not design or consultancy. Is it possible for me still to get chartered?

Yes, absolutely possible. It's not nessessary to have been in design or consultancy to achieve chartership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Sorry for going slightly of topic but with brexit is Chartership with the CIOB & CABE still recognised in Ireland/EU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

roadmaster wrote: »
    Sorry for going slightly of topic but with brexit is Chartership with the CIOB & CABE still recognised in Ireland/EU

Highly likely they are , but most have released a press release on their website to confirm it, if not check in with their membership team.

I am hoping to go for CIBSE chartership later this year and their agreement stands for mutual recognition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any one signed up to be an assessor?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

godtabh wrote: »
    Any one signed up to be an assessor?

Do you sign up or do you have to be asked ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You sign up, or offer your services if needed, as far as I know.
    Haven't done it myself, but a family member has and a couple of colleagues.

Advertisement