Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cheap Gym in Dublin City Centre?

• 28-04-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a cheap gym in City Centre?

It doesn't have to be too fancy. I just really want to use the running machines and maybe some upper body weight machines.........

cheers,
    /Kone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

If cheaps's what you're looking for.......Stephen's Green has a great running track!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

I think the Gym in Markievicz Pool on Pearse Street is supposed to be quite cheap!!! Check it out and see!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

it's not the city center but the gym in DCU is €180 a year which i am told is good value and it's open to the public no need to be a student (you get a discout if you are tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

YMCA, along wexford or camden street, or somewhere along there anyways. It's quite decent actually, and no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Anymore suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Soulgirl

Just wondering, apart from the few I've listed below, does anyone else know of gyms that can be joined in town/D2/D4 :

Fitness Dock, Camden St.
    Jackie SKelly

.....??

Do any of the nice hotels in town allow non-guests to join ?

I'm living in Ranelagh, where would be my closest gym - I can only think of Camden St.......? Or David Lloyd, which is outrageously expensive......

Thanks for any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Trebor wrote:
    it's not the city center but the gym in DCU is €180 a year which i am told is good value and it's open to the public no need to be a student (you get a discout if you are tho)

public membership is actually quite a bit more then that, i think i paid nearly €500 including joining fee. For cardio the gym is quite good however for weights it is ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

if buzz fitness is still open, it would be perfect soul girl. it is on orwell road, next to the driving test centre. it is very cheap and cheerful!

Any gyms close to city centre or along red luas line somewhere. New to dublin and just wondering is there an cheap gym i could join.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RonanC

Not much help to the original poster, but can anyone recommend a decent gym that you can pay once-off fees to use? I'm in Dublin on Thursday and Friday and want to avoid using the awful hotel gym where I'm staying if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

RonanC wrote:
    Not much help to the original poster, but can anyone recommend a decent gym that you can pay once-off fees to use? I'm in Dublin on Thursday and Friday and want to avoid using the awful hotel gym where I'm staying if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Well I know you can pay for single passes in UCD Crunch & Lochlinstown. They're both decent enough though possibly a bit out of the way depending on where you're staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Riverside Gym on Eden Quay is about €500 a year. Changing rooms badly need to be refurbished but otherwise the gym is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RonanC

t-ha wrote:
    Well I know you can pay for single passes in UCD Crunch & Lochlinstown. They're both decent enough though possibly a bit out of the way depending on where you're staying.

Staying in Stillorgin so will give the UCD gym a go - thanks t-ha.

I'm staying in Drimnagh... any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ben Dunnes one there at KCR... cant think of name.. its not wespoint (blanch) or northwood (santry) so whatever the other.... oh wait.. its carlisle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 branwenn

go to Capel street.
    it is nearby the AIB.
    60 a month 50 for the ladies.
    150 for 3 months

NO swinming pool
    Steam room-boxing bags-weights-running mills.
    A bot rough but ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

branwenn wrote:
    go to Capel street.
    it is nearby the AIB.
    150 for 3 months

NO swinming pool
    Steam room-boxing bags-weights-running mills.
    A bot rough but ok
    That's highly sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I use the YMCA gym from time to time. 6 euro for as long as you want, with no need for membership (just walk in off the street). Gym is on upper Georges street on the same side as The George, about 300m away from Dame Street. Gym is a little cramped and can get busy in the late afternoons/ early evenings, but I avoid these times and it works out to be good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rooker7

Spot on Hanley - I'm sure if it were the other way round that would be front page news ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

Dublin 2 there is a gym in the camden court hotel, very basic gym not very many machines but has 1 of everything and an 18 metre pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom tink they do a 3 month membership for €150.

In Dublin 8 near Drimnagh there is the new livingwell club which is part of the new Hilton hotel, lots of cardio machines and a hydrotherapy pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom. I know they are doing free one day trials the the moment!

any other questions private message me :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Andrewf20 wrote:
    I use the YMCA gym from time to time. 6 euro for as long as you want, with no need for membership (just walk in off the street). Gym is on upper Georges street on the same side as The George, about 300m away from Dame Street. Gym is a little cramped and can get busy in the late afternoons/ early evenings, but I avoid these times and it works out to be good value.

Whats it like early morning, 8-10ish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iascanmore

Tried the YMCA gym yesterday after work for the first time.

Bit cramped in there alright - but was clean enough and had a resonable amount of equipment. Only one row machine which was a pain.

Normal mix of weight addicts and sweaty cardio merchants..not a bit poncy though.

They open at 7:30am which I'm going to try one day next week. Nice being able to walk in off the street though, no messing, sales talk etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

branwenn wrote:
    Are they allowed do that?

Thanks for the update on the YMCA. IT's always good when people report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The gym in Capel Street lets you do one-off visits for around E7. There is a gym on North Fredrick Street, can't remember the name, which you can use for E5 a go. Small and cramped but seems to have all the basic equipment.

Is World Gym on Talbot street still going? If so, very hardcore gym and you can pay as you go. Women get cheaper because there are no women's showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

World Gym is now Apollo gym in Drumcondra.

And I agree World Gym was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NenaghBoy

Member of Dock Fitness on Camden street, great gym, would recommend it to anyone.

However, looking to get back into boxing, have heard that Capel Street gym is good for this... anyone have any experience there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Pinnacle gym, near Camden street, should be better for martial arts. I don't remember the Capel Street gym having any particular boxing facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Buzz Fit is closed now.

I found YMCA very good though it gets very crowded during peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭The FitnessDock

NenaghBoy wrote: »
    Member of Dock Fitness on Camden street, great gym, would recommend it to anyone.

However, looking to get back into boxing, have heard that Capel Street gym is good for this... anyone have any experience there?

NenaghBoy - I'm delighted you're enjoying being a member of The Fitness Dock.

Regarding boxing, I recommend having a chat with our instructor John Bryan. He's being training in boxing all his life and has his own home gym in Coolock where he trains clients. He works the night shift (10pm-6am) Monday to Thursdays so give him a ring at the gym @ 405 3777 and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

For a list of boxing clubs in Dublin, check out this link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055011478

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Theres a county council run gym just off tara st that costs 6 quid a visit i think?

Advertisement