Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

If the dos scheme were not reimbursing me I would certainly but a machine, but for now I'm not considering it.

Do you have €124 of other expenses or how is the DPS covering this for you? When I lost my medical card, I was told DPS wouldn't cover it so bought outright that's nearly 9 years ago now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Just wondering if anyone has a humidifier with their CPAP machine?

If so, what kind of water do you use with it? Anyone bother with distilled water to avoid limescale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

trashcan wrote: »
    I've thrown in the towel on the machine. Just couldn't cope with it. Two seperate goes of about three months each time. Just couldn't take any more.

That's a real shame. Did you have a particular issue with it? When I started first, I couldn't cope with the nasal mask, it was only when I went to a full-face mask that it clicked for me.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

If so, what kind of water do you use with it? Anyone bother with distilled water to avoid limescale?

I just go with the tap, life is too short! Although I might feel differently if I was in a hard water area, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

I never bother with the humififer, whats the benifits??

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    I never bother with the humififer, whats the benifits??

Stops my mouth, throat and nose from drying out, and my nose from getting congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

corwill wrote: »
    That's a real shame. Did you have a particular issue with it? When I started first, I couldn't cope with the nasal mask, it was only when I went to a full-face mask that it clicked for me.

What does a full face mask look like??? I have a nasal mask and I get a lot of leakage as I move about on the pillow until I settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Full mask covers mouth and nose.

Glebee wrote: »
    Full mask covers mouth and nose.

Exactly, like this one - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-professional/products/masks/airfit-20-series/airfit-f20.html

I found with the nasal mask that I'd open my mouth during the night and air would come rushing out, which woke me up. I can get a bit congested during the night also, so breathing exclusively through the nose made the nasal mask hard going.

If your problem with CPAP is a feeling of claustrophobia, though, I'd say the full face mask might be worse. But it works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

tnegun wrote: »
    Do you have €124 of other expenses or how is the DPS covering this for you? When I lost my medical card, I was told DPS wouldn't cover it so bought outright that's nearly 9 years ago now though.

Yes I do. I pay the €124,then the €96 for the machine and reclaim the €96 on the dps

• Advertisement

Same here the nasal just didn't work for me, the full face took a little getting used to but once on it I've never looked back.

GadgetGeek wrote: »
    Not sure how legit it is but it works for me. You need the following:
    Get a UK VPN (easiest is to add an extension to chrome Hola use the following https://www.google.ie/search?client=safari&hl=en-ie&ei=pEc2XdPuNuWU1fAPq8SbqAc&q=hola+chrome+extension&oq=hola+chrome+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0l8.60181.60181..61112...0.0..0.333.333.3-1......0....1.........0i71.w1Y_z-1AWcE
    )
    Setup parcel motel with UK address in Newtownards and forward to your home address. Go to the following with VPN activated. Shop to your hearts content. Using Parcel Motel address. Doesn’t matter that your Credit Card address is outside UK. Always select for the no VAT option as it is a medical requirement. Best value and no problem with returning for any parts.
    https://mysleep.resmed.com/GB/en/

Just to highlight there is an extra 10% off until August 19th plus 5% for signing up to resmed rewards - its just a check box - and Sterling is so weak right now its a great time to buy any accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Same here the nasal just didn't work for me, the full face took a little getting used to but once on it I've never looked back.

Is it a dentist who does the full face ? I heard about this but don't know where to start. I spoke with my dentist the other day and they said that they can help get some sort of mould (I grind teeth) that also helps sleep apnea suffers and opens the airways at night. I cant remember the name so don't know if its the same as what you are mentioning above.

I had the sleep Apnea machine a few years ago and when I asked if I will ever get used to it (after 6 weeks), I got a twat of a consultant who just took it back from me. I think I just wanted re-assurance that its possible to get used to the machine but he actually said "you should be in here thanking me for how this machine has changed your life" or something to that effect.

Ive been unable to get back to the sleep apnea crowd since then so I really don't know where I stand or who to ask questions to.

My face mask is for use with the machine, I've seen the ones for use without but never went there as I'm happy with the machine. I just used an online sizing guide to fit mine and it worked. Some will allow you return if it doesn't work out so check that out too.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is it a dentist who does the full face ? I heard about this but don't know where to start. I spoke with my dentist the other day and they said that they can help get some sort of mould (I grind teeth) that also helps sleep apnea suffers and opens the airways at night. I cant remember the name so don't know if its the same as what you are mentioning above.

I had the sleep Apnea machine a few years ago and when I asked if I will ever get used to it (after 6 weeks), I got a twat of a consultant who just took it back from me. I think I just wanted re-assurance that its possible to get used to the machine but he actually said "you should be in here thanking me for how this machine has changed your life" or something to that effect.

Ive been unable to get back to the sleep apnea crowd since then so I really don't know where I stand or who to ask questions to.

Christ, that's a shocking way to be treated. I'd talk to your GP about a referral to a different consultant/sleep centre, preferably to a non-bollix. It took me a few months to properly settle with the machine, that consultant's approach sounds pretty unhelpful.

The Irish Sleep Apnea Trust was disbanded a while back, and replaced by the Sleep Disorder Support Foundation - https://www.sdsf.ie/ ISAT used to be pretty active a few years back, and then just went quiet. I went to a couple of the ISAT AGMs, but I've not had any interaction with the SDSF. They had a conference last September, but I couldn't make it along.

A mandibular advancement splint can work for those with moderate (>25 events per hour, I think?) sleep apnea, so it depends on what your sleep study measured you at. They can be uncomfortable, though, as they're basically forcing your jaw into a slightly different position. It's different from the full face mask I was on about, which is just a different type of mask to use with a CPAP.

Christ, that's a shocking way to be treated. I'd talk to your GP about a referral to a different consultant/sleep centre, preferably to a non-bollix. It took me a few months to properly settle with the machine, that consultant's approach sounds pretty unhelpful.

The Irish Sleep Apnea Trust was disbanded a while back, and replaced by the Sleep Disorder Support Foundation - https://www.sdsf.ie/ ISAT used to be pretty active a few years back, and then just went quiet. I went to a couple of the ISAT AGMs, but I've not had any interaction with the SDSF. They had a conference last September, but I couldn't make it along.

A mandibular advancement splint can work for those with moderate (>25 events per hour, I think?) sleep apnea, so it depends on what your sleep study measured you at. They can be uncomfortable, though, as they're basically forcing your jaw into a slightly different position. It's different from the full face mask I was on about, which is just a different type of mask to use with a CPAP.

The figure 34 (events per hour) sticks with so I think That’s my level. It’s mad cause life has flown and I just keep forgetting to push it with my GP!

Thanks for that.

Drumpot wrote: »
    The figure 34 (events per hour) sticks with so I think That’s my level. It’s mad cause life has flown and I just keep forgetting to push it with my GP!

Thanks for that.

34 is pretty high, excuse me evangelising, but you really should give it another bash. If you could get settled with a mask and pressure settings that suit you and you can put up with, it would do a lot for you.

I even recognise the 'life has flown' in your post; life is busy, but you're tired, and it's hard to get to grips with whatever isn't immediately in front of you, whether it's work or family or what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I've tried the nasal mask, the full face and the nasal pillows. The nasal mask was first and I found that horrific, felt like I couldn't catch my breath. Then tried the full face mask. I could tolerate that a bit better, but just couldn't get to sleep with it. The result was that I was more tired rather than less. Totally counter productive. The doctor advised to leave it for six months, which I did. I saw another doctor who persuaded me to give it another try with the nasal pillows. To be fair they were probably the best of the three options. I persevered with that for another 3/4 months, but eventually it got too much. I was just too aware of the air blowing around my face. Eventually got that I couldn't stick it on at all. I just don't think it's for me. Even when I was using it I can't say I felt any different. Going to bed was becoming a torture.

trashcan wrote: »
    I've tried the nasal mask, the full face and the nasal pillows. The nasal mask was first and I found that horrific, felt like I couldn't catch my breath. Then tried the full face mask. I could tolerate that a bit better, but just couldn't get to sleep with it. The result was that I was more tired rather than less. Totally counter productive. The doctor advised to leave it for six months, which I did. I saw another doctor who persuaded me to give it another try with the nasal pillows. To be fair they were probably the best of the three options. I persevered with that for another 3/4 months, but eventually it got too much. I was just too aware of the air blowing around my face. Eventually got that I couldn't stick it on at all. I just don't think it's for me. Even when I was using it I can't say I felt any different. Going to bed was becoming a torture.

It certainly sounds like you gave it a fair crack, pity it didn't work out. Have you tried anything else, like mandibular advancement?

What sort of machine was it? Loosing my medical card was a blessing in disguise as I was using a CPAP machine its basically like strapping a leaf blower to your face as after the ramp time the pressure was 14/15cm it was horrible, once I lost the card and was paying for it I decided to source my own.
    I started looking at the APAP machines the machine auto adjusts the pressure to whats required to most nights mine never gets above 8cm. It also provides exhalation relief so you don't have to force the air out it stops pumping allowing you to breath naturally. Its not perfect and some nights I have to reset it but its a world away from the regular CPAP machines.

• Advertisement

What sort of machine was it? Loosing my medical card was a blessing in disguise as I was using a CPAP machine its basically like strapping a leaf blower to your face as after the ramp time the pressure was 14/15cm it was horrible, once I lost the card and was paying for it I decided to source my own.
    I started looking at the APAP machines the machine auto adjusts the pressure to whats required to most nights mine never gets above 8cm. It also provides exhalation relief so you don't have to force the air out it stops pumping allowing you to breath naturally. Its not perfect and some nights I have to reset it but its a world away from the regular CPAP machines.

I must be one or the lucky ones. Even when I did the sleep study I took to the nasal mask like a child to ice cream. I've never encountered a problem with the machine or mask. I did find the H9? machine a little noisy so I kicked up a fuss and they gave me an air sence? . I find it brilliant tbh.

Did they put you on a CPAP or APAP first though? I got a CPAP and was ok with it but couldn't believe the difference when I went on the APAP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bottled if i happen to have it, but cooled boiled water otherwise. Tap if kettle ws boiled too recently

Did they put you on a CPAP or APAP first though? I got a CPAP and was ok with it but couldn't believe the difference when I went on the APAP.

What’s the difference?

We looked at full face and nose only, I though full face was more comfortable but only actually tried that in practice.

Difference is huge with APAP sometimes I've got to check I switched the machine on! It's smart and only ups the pressure when you're having an apnea with CPAP after the ramp time usually 15 mins it goes to your prescription pressure so blows a gale in your face for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Yes,
    I use distilled, about €5 a gallon

FaganJr wrote: »
    Yes,
    I use distilled, about €5 a gallon

Where ? Plz

Where ? Plz

Any chemist

FaganJr wrote: »
    Any chemist

Every day is a school day.

• Advertisement

Every day is a school day.

Just keep asking questions, tis what I do!

Advertisement