Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PME Primary Teaching Interview

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Unless you have a relative who can get you a job in a school afterwards don't do it. Hibernia (and the other colleges) are turning out huge numbers of newly qualified teachers - way more than there are jobs for. There will be about 500 in your class (There were 450 in September 2018 cohort - and that was just the September cohort. Add to that the April cohort and then all the others NQTs coming from other colleges - and back from the middle east, now that the minister is out there bribing them to come home!).The course is horrendous and way over priced. If you must - go to Scotland where they will practically pay you to study and convert the Irish requirement later. You probably won't need it anyway as majority of NQTs have to go abroad to get work where you will not be required to teach Irish. Honestly, don't take my word for it. Go in to any staff room in the country and meet the NQTs there scrambling about trying to find the scraps of subbing and maternity leaves that keep them hoping for a full time job for years on end.

How many teachers do they graduate each year there? Numbers sound really high, also wondering is this because the entry requirements are looser than the other colleges. Not saying this is the case obviously and another thing I suppose is that because it’s online the only classroom space they need is virtual which equals none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

they hire space all over the country in hotels or third level campus facilities each weekend for the onsite learning. They happen every weekend.

Plenty of work out there but i guess you need to be broad minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Blaizes wrote: »
    How many teachers do they graduate each year there? Numbers sound really high, also wondering is this because the entry requirements are looser than the other colleges. Not saying this is the case obviously and another thing I suppose is that because it’s online the only classroom space they need is virtual which equals none.

They do not publish the the numbers of graduates. I have searched and asked - no response. Yes, they have high numbers because they are not limited by lecture theatre space. They do hire spaces around the country for Saturday lectures which happen once per month on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

I have seen a lot
    of comments that the on-site Saturday lectures take place weekly, fortnightly, monthly. Which is it?

Hibernia College said they are fortnightly, for anyone doing the course are they weekly at times?

For the most part of the year it's weekly. There are times when it's fortnightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 malteasers

smcar09 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone I had my interview and unfortunately I was unsuccessful in both the Gaeilge and English. I'm finding it hard to get back into studying for it but getting there. I'm hoping to reapply for the Spring 2020 intake.

Has anyone any advice ? I'm working away with the Gaeilge prep (I think I was just really nervous in the interview because I was so out of practice). I'm mainly looking for advice re the English part. They asked me to speak about a topic for 1 minute (I spoke about the environment). What are good topics that people felt performed well under the time limit of 1 minute ?
    Any advice about the interview in general is welcome.

I thought I would post the questions I was asked, hopefully they will help anyone who is preparing at the moment.

Topics I was asked to speak about in English:
    Why I wanted be become a teacher ?
    How would I deal with a conflict ?
    How would I deal with bullying- if a parent complained about their child being bullied under your watch ?
    Speak about a topic for 1 minute
    What would you do if you were told to go and teach second class tomorrow-how would you prepare and what would you do ?
    How would you stay motivated if you were a teacher ?
    What would you do if you had to work with someone that wasn't a nice person and that no one got on with ?
    How would you organise a classroom ?

Topics I was asked to speak about as Gaeilge
    Where I lived
    What did I do the weekend
    What would I do if I had a lot of money
    What do I think of the internet and should the classroom utilise it
    How did I get to the interview
    The traits of a good teacher

Thanks all

Hi,

Did you get any feedback on your interview or as to why you didn’t get through? Also how long were you waiting on the outcome?
    Thanks

Hi Everyone I had my interview and unfortunately I was unsuccessful in both the Gaeilge and English. I'm finding it hard to get back into studying for it but getting there. I'm hoping to reapply for the Spring 2020 intake.

Has anyone any advice ? I'm working away with the Gaeilge prep (I think I was just really nervous in the interview because I was so out of practice). I'm mainly looking for advice re the English part. They asked me to speak about a topic for 1 minute (I spoke about the environment). What are good topics that people felt performed well under the time limit of 1 minute ?
    Any advice about the interview in general is welcome.

I thought I would post the questions I was asked, hopefully they will help anyone who is preparing at the moment.

Topics I was asked to speak about in English:
    Why I wanted be become a teacher ?
    How would I deal with a conflict ?
    How would I deal with bullying- if a parent complained about their child being bullied under your watch ?
    Speak about a topic for 1 minute
    What would you do if you were told to go and teach second class tomorrow-how would you prepare and what would you do ?
    How would you stay motivated if you were a teacher ?
    What would you do if you had to work with someone that wasn't a nice person and that no one got on with ?
    How would you organise a classroom ?

Topics I was asked to speak about as Gaeilge
    Where I lived
    What did I do the weekend
    What would I do if I had a lot of money
    What do I think of the internet and should the classroom utilise it
    How did I get to the interview
    The traits of a good teacher

Thanks all

Hi,

Did you get any feedback on your interview or as to why you didn’t get through? Also how long were you waiting on the outcome?
    Thanks

Smcar09,

I’m sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful. I think if you really want to get on the course you may need to pay for some help. Either get grinds or do an irish course that will prepare you for the Hibernia interview. As you failed the English aswell I think you should go to an interview coach. Someone who will go through your answers with you. I would literally go to them with your list of possible questions and get good concrete answers prepared.

I had my interview in February and I got a place. I had not used my irish in 15 years. I spent about 7 hours a week on my irish for 6 months and I did a good irish interview. I was speaking irish for two hours every week with an irish teacher. I’m sure plenty don’t go to these extremes. But I know many who do. L

You need to get as many questions for the interview down on paper and become familiar with your answers. This way when you are in the interview you will be under less pressure.

For the topic for one minute. I would try and think of something that shows you would be a good candidate for the course. Like have you ever mentored people or trained a team etc.

If you know anyone who works in HR/recruitment, they might be happy to do a few mock interviews. If you are very well prepared next time, a lot of the nerves etc will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 smcar09

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was waiting just 5 days if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, they said they can't give any feedback on the interview.

Thanks Olivia, I really appreciate the time you took to give that feedback. I'm hoping to start grinds now in October. Regarding the topic, I don't have much experience leading teams or mentoring people. I have trained people in on a new job etc but it isn't in the educational capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was waiting just 5 days if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, they said they can't give any feedback on the interview.

They were writing notes about you during the interview so I think that's your data.
    Did they digitally record the audio 'for quality purposes'?

Hi, yes they did. It was recorded too. Is it the interviewee's right to have access to this ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you have a relative who can get you a job in a school afterwards don't do it. Hibernia (and the other colleges) are turning out huge numbers of newly qualified teachers - way more than there are jobs for. There will be about 500 in your class (There were 450 in September 2018 cohort - and that was just the September cohort. Add to that the April cohort and then all the others NQTs coming from other colleges - and back from the middle east, now that the minister is out there bribing them to come home!).The course is horrendous and way over priced. If you must - go to Scotland where they will practically pay you to study and convert the Irish requirement later. You probably won't need it anyway as majority of NQTs have to go abroad to get work where you will not be required to teach Irish. Honestly, don't take my word for it. Go in to any staff room in the country and meet the NQTs there scrambling about trying to find the scraps of subbing and maternity leaves that keep them hoping for a full time job for years on end.

I really wish people would read and pay attention to this.

Thanks Olivia, I really appreciate the time you took to give that feedback. I'm hoping to start grinds now in October. Regarding the topic, I don't have much experience leading teams or mentoring people. I have trained people in on a new job etc but it isn't in the educational capacity.

Smcar, it doesn't matter that it wasn't in the education sector. You were teaching people to do something. They were able to do their job because you taught them. Just elaborate on that. You can say that you found it very fulfilling etc etc. Sorry fir the late reply. I started the course at the start of the month. Busy bee!!

Hi, yes they did. It was recorded too. Is it the interviewee's right to have access to this ?

Hi, just wondering did you request feedback in the end or access to your notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Hi all. I did the TEG Interview last weekend. I'm very disappointed in how I performed, as I don't feel like I represented myself well, but fingers crossed I'll pass, as I'm hoping to study in MIC from September.

If I'm not successful with the Scrúdú Cainte, I'll apply to Hibernia for Autumn intake - I've decided I'm giving myself until end of 2021 to get a place in either MIC or Hibernia, and if it hasn't happened after 5 attempts, I'll just have to reassess my options. I know I learn better in a classroom environment so that's why MIC is my ultimate preference.

Has anyone done the English interview for MIC in recent years, and if so do you have any pointers for things that you were surprised by in the interview?

In general I'm ok at job interviews, but this is a big change from my current sphere of work and I've been lead to believe the style and expectations are totally different. (I can't imagine how, to be honest, interviews are interviews, but I'm taking all feedback on board.)

TIA!

Not sure why you see hibernia as the last resort. Why not apply to them all and see who offers to you.
    The Irish interviews are all abut your confidence and not being afraid of it. Having the basics might not get you in as you're expecting to teach it in the future. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

The Irish interview is not about confidence or "steering" the conversation as previous posters have advised. Its about knowing your verbs, being able to switch tenses, being able to reply "yes" or "no" correctly in Irish to a question. You'll be asked how you got to the interview, where you got parking, have you travelled, your education to date, why study with Hibernia, what prep you did for the Irish part of the interview, qualities of a good teacher, technology in the classroom. What will you do after the interview. Best preparation is to go to an Irish teacher for some one to one classes. Your pronunciation is important too and needs work before you do the exam. Don't go in relying on learnt off pieces as you'll be caught out quickly. However you should prepare answers on the above topics. Its a fair exam but you need to prepare properly ie learn to put sentences together, learn your verbs, increase your vocab and last but not least buy an Irish verbs glance card. It will be the best 5 euro you'll ever spend. Ádh mór!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Not sure why you see hibernia as the last resort. Why not apply to them all and see who offers to you.
    The Irish interviews are all abut your confidence and not being afraid of it. Having the basics might not get you in as you're expecting to teach it in the future. Best of luck.

Hi Jimbobaloobob, from a personal point of view I see Hibernia as a second choice because I know I personally learn better myself in a classroom environment rather than online. It's my primary reason for wanting to get a place in MIC rather than Hibernia. I'm not considering anywhere else right now because resource-wise I couldn't afford North Kildare / Dublin rents, I can live at home and commute to Limerick.

Secondary to that is I know people who have studied in MIC, I know people who work in MIC and as an adjustment it's less of a reach. I don't want to waste time. The anecdotal evidence they've given me supports my learning preferences. The feedback I've received from Hib graduates is less reassuring. If it's the path I need to take, so be it, but it's not my first preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eimear8401

I have just sent my application to Hibernia, how long before I hear back?
    Do they give you much notice for your interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 midlandor

eimear8401 wrote: »

I applied the week before the deadline and no word yet. I was told it could be 2 weeks before I get an interview date.

eimear8401 wrote: »

I got an email this morning saying that I am in an Interview queue and should get a phone call soon with an interview date. Have you heard back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eimear8401

No, but I applied for the Autumn intake. I hope I get another couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

This. Take for instance Hibernia. It costs 15000 euro for the course + 2000 euro or so (between the cost and spending money) for the 2 Gaeltachts...all for a chance to sub teach for the rest of your time or at least for a very long time...Too many going for it, it is being saturated with graduates and there are not enough permanent jobs going around...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Hi,

How did people go about preparing for the Irish interview? I've haven't studied Irish in 12 years. The questions seem basic but I've nothing to study off atm. Should I look at doing grinds? There's a course in Dublin for 6 weeks (400euro) however I'm based in Galway.

When are you hoping to interview wacotaco? I would contact the Irish department in NUIG and see if they run courses. I did a preparatory course in UCC, it was very good and I got a place first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

When are you hoping to interview wacotaco? I would contact the Irish department in NUIG and see if they run courses. I did a preparatory course in UCC, it was very good and I got a place first time round.

Deadline is june 3rd. I'd push booking the interview out as close to that so potentially 11/12 weeks.

Hi Wacotaco, those course probably run from autumn to spring. If I was you I would find a very good Irish teacher and do Grinds. I had about 4 months from when I started my Irish until my interview. You could do your research online and draw up a comprehensive lists of questions that you might be asked. Write them down and then practice them with the teacher in the form of mock interviews. Make sure you include a good spread of the tenses. I did, I will, I would. I would definitely prepare something about brexit, covid 19, the housing crisis. Anything else topical. I was asked alot about my current occupation. What exactly do I do everyday. If I hadn't had that prepared it would have been very difficult.

Go back through the last page or two of posts here, most of the topics have been covered or mentioned.

• Advertisement

wacotaco wrote: »
    Hi,

How did people go about preparing for the Irish interview? I've haven't studied Irish in 12 years. The questions seem basic but I've nothing to study off atm. Should I look at doing grinds? There's a course in Dublin for 6 weeks (400euro) however I'm based in Galway.

Ranganna.com have an online Hibernia Preparation course which I found very good. Conradh na Gaeilge often run a one day course a few weeks before interviews, so might be worth giving them a call too! Best of luck with the study!

Advertisement