Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carzone : New Pricing Scam

• 03-10-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, I know there have been similar threads but just been speaking to someone at Carzone and they are saying that staff are being instructed not to allow customers renew adds on the same price deal as between 1st April - 1st October 2008.

For those prior to 1 April 2008 - they will be allowed to renew for free

For those after 1 April 2008 - new renewal fee of €24 per month

Are carzone allowed to change the pricing structure any time they feel like it? It was just 6 months ago that carzone were offering a €30 fee for the life of the add, now its €39.99 for month 1 and €24 thereafter. In percentage terms a massive increase over 3 months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'd imagine they are but they're staring to take the p1ss. I put a car up three weeks ago at the time it was 30 euro to put it up and fifteen to renew, when i went to mark it as sold its become 40 to put the ad up and 24.99 to renew. Carzone are going to end up pushing customers away to cheaper or free sites soon enough. Two months advertising with them is now 60 euro think its 25 on cbg&autotrader (not sure) 75 in a newspaper. People would be better off dropping their prices as much as possible and using the free sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

TMG (Autotrader) now own Carzone.ie

They can do what they like with the site & charge what they like (until people vote with their laser/visa/master cards & go elsewhere).

They have continuing revenue targets to meet, in a downturn the easiest method of continued revenue target achievement is price-hiking...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

De Hipster wrote: »
    TMG (Autotrader) now own Carzone.ie

They can do what they like with the site & charge what they like

Very true. Since the takeover/buy out they have also up'd their charges to dealers as well.

I guess TMG have to make their money back somehow on this investment regardless of how many cars are/aren't selling in the marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭Barr

Car-dealer wrote: »
    Hi, I know there have been similar threads but just been speaking to someone at Carzone and they are saying that staff are being instructed not to allow customers renew adds on the same price deal as between 1st April - 1st October 2008.

For those prior to 1 April 2008 - they will be allowed to renew for free

For those after 1 April 2008 - new renewal fee of €24 per month

Are carzone allowed to change the pricing structure any time they feel like it? It was just 6 months ago that carzone were offering a €30 fee for the life of the add, now its €39.99 for month 1 and €24 thereafter. In percentage terms a massive increase over 3 months.

If the ad is still active , phone them and they'll do it for free.

I think their taking the piss with this new pricing structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Let me guess: some accountants did a report for autotrader stating the following:

"if you buy carzone in Ireland they would cost around x million pounds
    ...however we've done a cost analysis and they have x thousand adds at the moment and x amount of subscribers per month. If we were to charge x amount per month €39 and then x amount per renewal €24 - we make x amount of profit".

CEO of autotrader - "excellent idea - do it!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Car-dealer wrote: »

CEO of autotrader - "excellent idea - do it!"

:D:D You must have been in the room at that meeting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

LolaDub wrote: »
    Two months advertising with them is now 60 euro think its 25 on cbg&autotrader (not sure) 75 in a newspaper. People would be better off dropping their prices as much as possible and using the free sites

cbg have only a small fraction of the market, to a certain degree, your getting what you pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

so what are alternatives to carzone?

surely carzone is the most popular by a long shot? And your car is mostly likely to be seen if its on carzone.

www.adverts.ie
    www.buyandsell.ie
    www.autotrader.ie
    www.carsireland.ie
    www.cbg.ie
    where else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

keefg wrote: »
    Since the takeover/buy out they have also up'd their charges to dealers as well.

Quite substantially too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

It's €30 first month then renew at €15, I haven't got to third month yet so I don't know what price after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this not just a re-hash of your thread yesterday?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055390298

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If CarDealer is legitimately thinking of designing and launching a competing website, I'd say this is tantamount to spamming, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    so what are alternatives to carzone?

surely carzone is the most popular by a long shot? And your car is mostly likely to be seen if its on carzone.

I think the fallacy to this argument is that if you are selling a normal car, e.g. 1.4 Golf, Focus, etc, there are so many on carzone there is no guarantee at all anyone will see it, and unless is is incredibly cheap, they definately won't look twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

maidhc wrote: »
    I think the fallacy to this argument is that if you are selling a normal car, e.g. 1.4 Golf, Focus, etc, there are so many on carzone there is no guarantee at all anyone will see it, and unless is is incredibly cheap, they definately won't look twice.

I definately agree with that comment. I sold an A3 back in the summer, had it advertised on carzone for yonks. I asked the guy who was buying the car where he saw the ad, he said he saw it on carsireland.ie.(free site) I also had it on a few other free sites as well.

So it seems that it doesn't always pay to advertise on carzone.

Which is why I certainly won't be using them again in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

Brabus wrote: »
    I definately agree with that comment. I sold an A3 back in the summer, had it advertised on carzone for yonks. I asked the guy who was buying the car where he saw the ad, he said he saw it on carsireland.ie.(free site) I also had it on a few other free sites as well.

So it seems that it doesn't always pay to advertise on carzone.

Which is why I certainly won't be using them again in the future.

I have sold a couple of cars off CarsIreland.ie too & don't bother with carzone anymore either. I also like the fact that they have some mechanism to prevent international frausters emailing users

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

I might be picking up on this late but given the current auto trade climate shouldn't they be lowering their prices ?

Anyone know how much a dealership has to pay them to list their cars ? Seems a little high for just one car listing a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

KoRn101 wrote: »
    I might be picking up on this late

yes you are ...on motors forum time, this thread is Bronze Age :D

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement