Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

unkel wrote: »
    It's getting cheaper and cheaper. Just paid EUR4.10 for the mid package (EUR10.99) via Netflix Turkey :D

I'm still in Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

got it working myself after a few failed attempts. after account expiration

as per instructions on 26.01.2020 by redriddick

'Download tor, install and run once. Browse to the location where windows installed tor. Find the file torcc and open with notepad. Add the line exitnodes {ar} and save. Open tor and go to Netflix and log in using your details. 're start your sub and your set'

on mac torcc is on ~/Library/Application\ Support/TorBrowser-Data/Tor/torrc

Other people have reported success using vpns so you can try that instead of using tor browers if you like
    see bbari 08.04.20 comment
    Signed up for NF on 6th March
    Cancelled the sub right away.
    Sub expired on 7th Apr
    Installed Speedify VPN and picked Turkey
    Logged on to my a/c and picked the sub with 4 users and UHD etc
    VPN is now off and everything is good.
    speedify is free

In my case after using tor , signing up for argentenian netflix, inputting my transferwise card details in the last step i was asked to input my argentenian mobile number to confirm an activation code.
    I did this using smspva.com , details from keano25 on 30.03.20

'Couldn't sign up through Turkey no matter what VPN I tried so got it via Brazilian VPN. For anyone interested and doesn't want the read back for a few hours..

VPN Brazil

They'll ask for a phone number, go to smspva.com and get a virtual Brazilian phone number it costs .50c.

Netflix text the code to that number, input the code when asked.

Done.

You can now use your Irish number as recovery phone number.

€8.15 for Brazilian Netflix.

smspva can be a bit confusing, in my case i added 2$ to my account balance. then selected country agrentina and then clicked on netflix option torwards the bottom of the page. that game me a number i could tell netflix to send it to. After inputting it into netflix i got the activation code on snspva a few seconds later that i input back into netflix and i was all set.

phew

hope that is helpful to others.

after reading that, i think it would nearly be easier to hop on a flight to Brazil and just set it up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Mr.S wrote: »
    This seems very overkill, why are you using TOR, editing exit nodes, creating a virtual number and not using Turkish Netflix? (€5.95 for the 4 screen UHD plan as of my last payment).

The process of singing up to Irish Netflix, paying for a month, canceling straight away, and then signing up via a Turkish VPN using your original Irish netflix account (with normal bank / Irish phone number) still works.

If that worked for you great. in my case i had to input the country mobile number and verify a code. no way around that for me. using a vpn or tor (editing a file took seconds) is not much of a difference in effort. overall it's not much work. the work was finding out what to do .

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I exchanged €70 in to Turkish lira a couple of weeks ago and I got nearly 520 lira for that, that’s a years worth of viewing on the top package, so I’m quids in as long as my revolut card stays working, it should do as the expiry on it is sometime in 2024 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Did you verify all your details on your Irish account before switching countries?

I've done it a few times using the above process for me and others and never had an issue as long you verify everything before jumping.

Same here. 7 accounts done so far and all good doing it this method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

flexcon wrote: »
    Same here. 7 accounts done so far and all good doing it this method.

I have a active Irish Netflix account which i cancelled and waiting to lapse. i am planning to renew the account with a Turkish vpn. there is no mobile number on the account at present.

Do i need to add a Irish mobile number before renewing with Turkish vpn?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    I have a active Irish Netflix account which i cancelled and waiting to lapse. i am planning to renew the account with a Turkish vpn. there is no mobile number on the account at present.

Do i need to add a Irish mobile number before renewing with Turkish vpn?

restart the membership (it won't cost) - add the mobile number - cancel again and let it lapse

AFTER its lapsed then do the Turkey job..

bbari wrote: »
    restart the membership (it won't cost) - add the mobile number - cancel again and let it lapse

AFTER its lapsed then do the Turkey job..

Done...thanks.

This seems very overkill, why are you using TOR, editing exit nodes, creating a virtual number and not using Turkish Netflix? (€5.95 for the 4 screen UHD plan as of my last payment).

The process of singing up to Irish Netflix, paying for a month, canceling straight away, and then signing up via a Turkish VPN using your original Irish netflix account (with normal bank / Irish phone number) still works.
    Did you verify all your details on your Irish account before switching countries?

I've done it a few times using the above process for me and others and never had an issue as long you verify everything before jumping.

i didn't have my mobile number on my account. didn't realise it was going to be important. think there will be other people like me on this thread who will get caught out . anyway, it worked out in the end. cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

The sticky with instructions needs to be updated to be fair!

Agreed, it should also mention
    1-to include the mobile number before cancellation
    2-wait till the sub is lapsed and THEN do the VPN business
    3-name few of the free VPNs available

• Advertisement

The sticky with instructions needs to be updated to be fair!
    how do i get to see thread stickies ? is it like pinned messages ? very hand to know it if it's on boards threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

bbari wrote: »
    Agreed, it should also mention
    1-to include the mobile number before cancellation
    2-wait till the sub is lapsed and THEN do the VPN business
    3-name few of the free VPNs available

Can I ask , once you have restarted the membership while using the Turkish VPN , plan selected etc , will the payment terms stay under Turkish currency from there on in ? Do you ever have to login under Turkish vpn again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Daz_ wrote: »
    Can I ask , once you have restarted the membership while using the Turkish VPN , plan selected etc , will the payment terms stay under Turkish currency from there on in ? Do you ever have to login under Turkish vpn again ?

No you dont have to use VPN again, it stays on the Turkish plan.

just to confirm everything went smooth.

i let my Irish Netflix subscription lapsed

verified mobile number

VPN connected.

log on to Argentinian Netflix and renewed subscription. i think its Argentinian Netflix is expensive than Turkish one but have more movies and shows. correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks to all boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

og on to Argentinian Netflix and renewed subscription. i think its Argentinian Netflix is expensive than Turkish one but have more movies and shows. correct me if i am wrong.

You’re wrong. You only stay connected to the vpn to set up the billing, after you do that you disconnect and log into Netflix to get the Irish content.

You were better off to go for the cheapest and then if you wanted content in a different region you can vpn in to that region at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I'm in the process of trying to set this up. I started my membership on the basic 1 screen plan then cancelled so it will be up start of May. I then decided I needed another screen as two of us were watching so I got into chat. He said I can upgrade the plan and still have my account cancel down on the same date and won't be charged for the upgrade. So I am on the 15.99 plan for the rest of this month but will only have paid 7.99 for it.

You’re wrong. You only stay connected to the vpn to set up the billing, after you do that you disconnect and log into Netflix to get the Irish content.

You were better off to go for the cheapest and then if you wanted content in a different region you can vpn in to that region at that point.

Thanks. i should have checked before signing up :). It would be handy if we can add this piece of information to the first page with updated instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks. i should have checked before signing up :). It would be handy if we can add this piece of information to the first page with updated instructions.

It’s question 5 in the FAQ. Anyways we’re probably talking a saving of less than 10c a month and considering how much you’re saving off a regular ROI subscription it’s not bad all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Are people using VPNs on their phones/tablets to sign up or on your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can use them on either. I used Speedify on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Can anyone get onto the US Prime video using a VPN and going through laptop?
    Thought I could before but now seems like Amazon recognise me using a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Can you just change it in your account without repurcussion temporarily?

I changed the address but not the billing address that might be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭druss

Your experience may differ, but I had to use my phone....and this was using the same VPN on both laptop and on mobile.

On laptop, I logged out my account, set VPN, was on Turkish page and logged in but got EU prices. Tried again in a different browser and got an error message.

Switched to phone and it went straight through first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

So I have cancelled my account and its 'deactivated'.
    Used Speedify to hop onto a Turkish IP and logged into netflix Turkey.
    Went to re-activate my account and selected the 4 screens for 41 Lira.
    Saw then that my previous method of payment (Paypal) is not an option so I went with a PTSB Debit card.
    It fails and I presume its a PTSB Geo block for security reasons, but not sure.

Anyone have this issue?
    Is the only way around this to go back to my Irish netflix and then change Paypal for my PTSB payment method and then retry the above?
    BTW - for the life of me, I cannot get verified with Revolut.... So that payment method is out.

Does anyone know if your should log out of Netflix on all devices before doing the Turkish trick ? Or does that matter - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Does anyone know if your should log out of Netflix on all devices before doing the Turkish trick ? Or does that matter - thanks

Doesn't matter. Haven't had an issue like that

Seems to have worked for me. I used the Windscribe Firefox addon. Perhaps foolishly I had paid for my first month with PayPal (thought I had used my debit card). When I went to renew I got "problem with your payment" and "invalid payment". Turned off the VPN and added my AIB debit card. Turned the VPN back on and it accepted payment.

Wow the top tier for just 42 TL (~€6) instead of €16!

No luck for me using Turkey on VPN. When I try to get to logon page it says something went wrong . I use ExpressVPN.

Switched location to Argentina and get to logon page no problem .

Anyone know if Argentina is the next best option ?
    Thanks

No luck for me using Turkey on VPN. When I try to get to logon page it says something went wrong . I use ExpressVPN.

Switched location to Argentina and get to logon page no problem .

Anyone know if Argentina is the next best option ?
    Thanks

I have renewed my subscription (2 screen HD) with Argentina and it was only 50 cents more than Turkish price for the same plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

ah damn, have been paying with revolut up til now, and then today says new payment method needed. tried ptsb, no joy. fart.

Advertisement