Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭Barr

I have ordered these beans for the machine (hope they are nice as I have ordered 8 bags to get free delivery :eek:)

http://www.discountcoffee.ie/temple-bar-espresso-coffee-beans-4-x-1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Do-more wrote: »
    How much were the beans in Lidl?

They were 8 euros/kg I think it was - and they were really great coffee (great reviews online also) - going watch out for them if they come back - none now.

Ill give the IKEA one a try also thanks. The Extreme Caffeine one on discountcoffee.ie site looks promising :) but that other site (coffeemojo.ie) looks overpriced at over €22 +pp a kg - is their coffee worth that?

What settings do you use on the machine?

I've mine set to
    1) Turn off automatically after 15 minutes (default is something like 45?)
    2) Both Dials set to three quarters around (sort of 2pm clock position)
    3) Eco off (no idea what this actually does...)

Grinder is set to default setting (any benefit in adjusting this?).

Then Either one or two cup button into a tall long cup. nice :P

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

Ikea beans are more suite for a filtered coffee machine or cafeterie not for making expresso. But have to say they do make a nice cup of filtered coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Ikea beans are more suite for a filtered coffee machine or cafeterie not for making expresso. But have to say they do make a nice cup of filtered coffee

I have to agree, I think IKEA are an arabica/robusta blend, so I find them making a very bitter/acidic espresso. You are entering the realm of taste and preference and it can be hard to settle on something you really like.

I would suggest do not go off on a mad bulk buy until you find what you really like. I got stuck with a couple of Kg of beans that I now use only for 'visitors'. Buy small amounts and see what floats your boat. M&S do some beans and I think many of the on-line and B&M also do small taster selections.

Indecently I buy mine when I go 'foreign' €9.00/kg for 100% arabica in Carfour, but my tastes are very common!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

Meant to ask are these machines good. I have a Gaggia cost about €100 to get fixed or could buy one these for about €220 reviews seem good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Sub430 wrote: »
    Was £399, now £199.
    These went quick the last time at £239.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EOMZ5E/?tag=ho01f-21

CamelCamel

HUKD Discoussion

Back down again to £229 now

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Go for it folks!

Have mine over 6 months now and it hasn't missed a beat (used about 5 times a day, every day). Haven't even had to clean it yet. A few times the bean grinding sounded funny and no coffee was produced. First time I emptied the machine to find some hard bits stuck in the grinder which I removed. The following times, I just poked into the grinder with a tooth pick, which sorted it

Worth every cent that machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Back down again to £229 now

Disaster. Paid £287 for it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

MrRight1 wrote: »

Doh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

MrRight1 wrote: »

Amazon might refund the difference if you contact them. I think someone did similar on here a while back and they refunded the difference. No harm in asking their customer service is excellent.

• Advertisement

Jet Black wrote: »
    Amazon might refund the difference if you contact them. I think someone did similar on here a while back and they refunded the difference. No harm in asking their customer service is excellent.

Thanks, will give that a try. Nothing to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cheers, been waiting for this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think they give you 2 weeks to call them for a refund of the difference. They have done it for me several times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Or you could return it for a full refund and re buy at cheaper price

hfallada wrote: »
    I think they give you 2 weeks to call them for a refund of the difference. They have done it for me several times

I got refunded £57. As a once off exception, they refunded the price difference. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Meant to ask are these machines good. I have a Gaggia cost about €100 to get fixed or could buy one these for about €220 reviews seem good.

We had one of these at work, two years I was there it was going really well, the life beaten out of it with hard water and nobody descaling it. Finally died there last week and they got the latest model. Great unit in my opinion. At home I have a Gaggia Titanium that leaks all the time (pure crap) at triple the price, I'd go for this one over repairing the Gaggia! Downside, like most automatics is they dont brew hot enough tho..

FBP.

I have this machine and must admit I am a bit disappointed with the coffee.I find the coffee weak even with all the settings at their max.

We also have a dolce gusto which I am comparing it to.I find this makes a much nicer coffee.

In my case I’m hoping it’s just the beans that are the issue. I have been using the below and have my doubts they are any good

Barr wrote: »
    I have this machine and must admit I am a bit disappointed with the coffee.I find the coffee weak even with all the settings at their max.

We also have a dolce gusto which I am comparing it to.I find this makes a much nicer coffee.
    In my case I’m hoping it’s just the beans that are the issue. I have been using the below and have my doubts they are any good

some of the coffee on that site is very mild. also most of the reviews under the products are just general reviews, not actually for the product and most are from 14 or 15 jan 2014 which is a bit "strange" and a coincidence that many many reviews for products are all from these 2 days. good reliable site mind but just be aware of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

No Barr .. your settings - you are using too much water. I had the same issue.

Put water volume dial @ 9pm
    Put coffee dial @ 3pm

Ballies do a good value Espresso starter pack - 2 bags for £9
    Lovely beans too!

link

Also check out:
    http://www.coffeemojo.ie/
    http://www.ponaire.ie/ (Connoisseur Blend for Espresso)

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »

Put coffee dial @ 3pm

I do this to add a "shot" to the coffee to strengthen it up. The volume is tiny though as I like to drink a mug of coffee.

I just find getting the balance right isn't the easiest of tasks if you want more than a espresso cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Put coffee dial @ 3pm

This. Plus setting the grinder as fine as possible. Then press the 2 cup button and it will fill up a tiny espresso cup to the top (so it is a double espresso) with a perfect coffee :)
    I just find getting the balance right isn't the easiest of tasks if you want more than a espresso cup.

If you like weak coffee, maybe fill your mug with boiling water and then add above double espresso to it? Or the other way around, make a double espresso and then top up with boiling water. I don't think it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I prefer http://www.discountcoffee.ie/colombian-supremo-coffee-beans-4-x-1kg
    but that's individual, perhaps is good to adjust grinding settings, i will do this ASAP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If you find you're coffee weak, I'd suggest getting Kenco Italia beans (available from Amazon). You won't complain of weak coffee any more! Only bean I had to increase my grind size from minimum on my old Saeco machine as it was just too strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

rai555 wrote: »
    I prefer http://www.discountcoffee.ie/colombian-supremo-coffee-beans-4-x-1kg
    but that's individual, perhaps is good to adjust grinding settings, i will do this ASAP :)

Is there a secret to keeping beans fresh when buying that amount all at once? I ordered 2kg from the same site for my last coffee order and while it was certainly fresh to begin with, I'm now coming to the end of the 2nd bag and it's definitely got a stale taste to it. This was over the course of about 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I believe you can freeze it but you would need to break it into batches. Apparently the main reason not to keep coffee in the fridge/freezer is the condensation caused by taking it in and out. If you put the batches in the freezer and just take them as needed you should be OK.
    It's preferable to have freshly roasted coffee but that's not always practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Ballies do a good value Espresso starter pack - 2 bags for £9
    Lovely beans too!

link

Also check out:
    http://www.coffeemojo.ie/
    http://www.ponaire.ie/ (Connoisseur Blend for Espresso)

+1 for ponaire,you get 500g for the price of 450g plus free delivery on orders over 500g.The Indian blend is very good IMO

NATLOR wrote: »
    +1 for ponaire,you get 500g for the price of 450g plus free delivery on orders over 500g.The Indian blend is very good IMO

Tried the European Espresson Bean from Ponaire ... nicer again!! Much darker than the Indian blend!

You also get a free Americano if you call and buy from the Roastery

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Got one of these for the birthday a month or so ago. It really makes a good espresso,for whatever you want to do with it after. Aldi had some good value columbian beans. 454g for a fiver. I was buying Illy beans at 6.99 for 250g. I wont be buying Illy again. For the price of them the flavour relly is not there.
    One thing I dont like about it is the milk frother. Takes an age. The espresso machine I had(have) from Aldi for the past two years was far better at frothing the milk. Dont drink lattes myself any way, but guests see it and want lattes,cappacinos etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Those who are reporting frother issues..

Are you waiting for the orange light to come on steady?

Also whats the best place in Dub city to get some strong beans anyone know?

Thanks.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement