Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yi Home Camera 1080p - Flash sale on AliExpress app - €15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

For anyone looking for a cheap camera fix. I was set on hunting for a Logitech c920, but they're impossible to get, but an article somewhere suggested using phone instead.

Got an app called epocCam for, I think, 8 quid, and it's been brilliant. 1080p pic using my iphone 11 lens, picture quality is amazing.

So, if you need one now, there's an easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭DopeTech

the corpo wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a cheap camera fix. I was set on hunting for a Logitech c920, but they're impossible to get, but an article somewhere suggested using phone instead.

Got an app called epocCam for, I think, 8 quid, and it's been brilliant. 1080p pic using my iphone 11 lens, picture quality is amazing.

So, if you need one now, there's an easy fix.

Where do I get the iPhone 11 for €15?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

DopeTech wrote: »
    Where do I get the iPhone 11 for €15?!

Come down this alley with me....

You can use the app on most phones, and I'd guess most newer phone cameras will be better than most cheap webcams

the corpo wrote: »
    Come down this alley with me....

You can use the app on most phones, and I'd guess most newer phone cameras will be better than most cheap webcams

Ah I know, I was only joking. Most people have an old phone they could use but these just seem more practical, easier to place in position etc. Neither of mine have arrived, I would expect them in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

My camera arrived today. Not quite the 2 month mark :D

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »

I was beginning to wonder if they would show up at all. Hopefully mine is here this week so. Let us know how you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Mine is in the country apparently awaiting customs clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Got the email to say it had landed in Ireland from ALIEXPRESS.

Letter today from our good friend in customs looking for invoice info so they can charge appropriate amount of customs and their 10e handling fee...

I did buy two though!

BKWDR wrote: »
    Got the email to say it had landed in Ireland from ALIEXPRESS.

Letter today from our good friend in customs looking for invoice info so they can charge appropriate amount of customs and their 10e handling fee...

I did buy two though!

Should have bought them separately!

GqUo.gif

One of mine just arrived a moment ago!

Should have bought them separately!

GqUo.gif

One of mine just arrived a moment ago!

Sure the amount of stuff I've gotten via China and never been stung...

Had they been seperate I would've paid 6e extra in shopping

I don't need two... I don't even need one... THANKS OP! 😂

• Advertisement

I was beginning to wonder if they would show up at all. Hopefully mine is here this week so. Let us know how you get on with it.
    Will do. Currently trying to find a micro SD card smaller than 32GB to flash this custom firmware. I know there's some in the house but the bloody things are so small they're always getting lost :D

Will do. Currently trying to find a micro SD card smaller than 32GB to flash this custom firmware. I know there's some in the house but the bloody things are so small they're always getting lost :D

What does that exactly do? enable access to the cam in stream through web browser?

What does that exactly do? enable access to the cam in stream through web browser?
    Honestly I'm mainly installing it because I don't trust something so cheap from China won't be reporting home. Plus I like messing with this kind of thing.

Here's the list of features from the site though:
    • RTSP server - allows a RTSP stream of the video (high and/or low resolution) but without audio.
      • rtsp://IP-CAM/ch0_0.h264 (high res)
      • rtsp://IP-CAM:8554/ch0_1.h264 (low res)
    • ONVIF server (with support for h264 stream, snapshot, ptz, presets and WS-Discovery) - standardized interfaces for IP cameras.
    • Snapshot service - allows to get a jpg with a web request. Gets the latest yuv image from the kernel buffer and converts it to jpg.
    • MQTT - Motion detection and baby crying detection through mqtt protocol.
    • Web server - web configutation interface (port 8080).
    • SSH server - dropbear.
    • Telnet server - busybox.
    • FTP server.
    • FTP push: export mp4 video to an FTP server (thanks to @Catfriend1).
    • Authentication for HTTP, RTSP and ONVIF server.
    • Proxychains-ng - Disabled by default. Useful if the camera is region locked.
    • Original watermark image removed.
    • The possibility to change some camera settings (copied from official app):
      • camera on/off
      • video saving mode
      • detection sensitivity
      • baby crying detection
      • status led
      • ir led
      • rotate
    • Management of motion detect events and videos through a web page.
    • PTZ support through a web page.
    • The possibility to disable all the cloud features.
    • Online firmware upgrade.
    • Load/save/reset configuration.

Honestly I'm mainly installing it because I don't trust something so cheap from China won't be reporting home. Plus I like messing with this kind of thing.

Here's the list of features from the site though:

Thanks, i would love to either have your experiences of setting that up or might hit you up for questions if i attempt it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

Arrived yesterday, great little camera for the price, picture and sound fantastic and app is easy to use, had it all setup in 2 mins!

Did you get that working? I noticed that mine has the firmware version starting with 8.2.0.0A which according to one site is not compatible with the above hack but only this one.

https://github.com/roleoroleo/yi-hack-Allwinner

I flashed this Allwinner one and it looks to be working but with no option to auto upload to Google Drive. Will have to do investigation!

Did you get that working? I noticed that mine has the firmware version starting with 8.2.0.0A which according to one site is not compatible with the above hack but only this one.

https://github.com/roleoroleo/yi-hack-Allwinner

I flashed this Allwinner one and it looks to be working but with no option to auto upload to Google Drive. Will have to do investigation!

Cheers. Gave it a quick try yesterday and didn't get anywhere. Will have a look at your link today.

Edit: this firmware worked perfectly. No issues installing. Thanks DopeTech!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Anyone know how to get this to work with virgin media broadband?

Cheers. Gave it a quick try yesterday and didn't get anywhere. Will have a look at your link today.

Edit: this firmware worked perfectly. No issues installing. Thanks DopeTech!

Mine arrived today, kinda a bit annoyed with the fact that it's limited unless you sign up for the monthly subscription

Am I correct in saying if I was using the above versions from github, it wouldn't allow the two way / one way of sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

McGaggs wrote: »
    What is your issue with it. It appears to work fine for me and I am Virgin Media. Just connect it to your 2.4GHz wifi

• Advertisement

Connected fine for me first. Then the second time I plugged in I had to reset it a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What is your issue with it. It appears to work fine for me and I am Virgin Media. Just connect it to your 2.4GHz wifi

Looking at YouTube, it seems the issue may be that my phone is on the 5ghz network not the 2.4. I'll give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Looking at YouTube, it seems the issue may be that my phone is on the 5ghz network not the 2.4. I'll give it another go.
    I have it connected to my 2.4 house network and it works fine. My phone and laptop are both 5GHz and no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Mine arrived today, kinda a bit annoyed with the fact that it's limited unless you sign up for the monthly subscription

Am I correct in saying if I was using the above versions from github, it wouldn't allow the two way / one way of sound?

Stick an SD micro in it. There is no need to sign up to their cloud service. 64gb gets me over a week of recording

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Use a SD card , no need for the cloud service.

I'm not actually sure. I got the hacked firmware on it and then promptly realised I've no specific use for it at the moment so it's back in the box for now :D

Stick an SD micro in it. There is no need to sign up to their cloud service. 64gb gets me over a week of recording
    ted1 wrote: »
    Use a SD card , no need for the cloud service.

Ah ok, so if i stick a card in it, it will automatically not record to cloud and will just save to SD card?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ah ok, so if i stick a card in it, it will automatically not record to cloud and will just save to SD card?

It’ll upload a few seconds to the cloud and record either constantly or just movements to the SD card for you to review. You’ll get alerts from movements and can turn review them in the SD card via the app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Received mine last week - delighted with it - it's really good and the ability to customize alerts is fantastic.
    I'd be tempted by the custom Rom if it was supported with an app and I could upload video to my own cloud storage.
    It's too expensive to use their cloud storage

• Advertisement

Received mine last week - delighted with it - it's really good and the ability to customize alerts is fantastic.
    I'd be tempted by the custom Rom if it was supported with an app and I could upload video to my own cloud storage.
    It's too expensive to use their cloud storage

Unfortunately this version doesn't seem to have a custom rom with google drive storage capability. If the serial on the back of the camera begins with 9FU then it's an allwinner version and the other roms won't work on it.

From what I can see this is the only rom available for it but it doesn't have google drive capabilities. Maybe in the future. For now I'll just keep an sd card in it and review them as I need to.

Advertisement