Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Cooper was NOT funny

• 27-06-2020 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bullsh1t. Even his Fez was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It takes a lot of brains to appear that stupid.

That aside, you're wrong, his timing was absolutely excellent. I daresay its just because he came from another era entirely that you may not appreciate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why would he want to fool a modern audience when he died 25 or so years ago? he was funny as fúck back then though

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Guy was pretty original and his humor and wit was quite clever, he was quite a character and me laugh, bit different from the regular joke teller the way he incorporated magic, being fûcked up in that bumbling bafoonery style, yeah , liked him, he wasn’t ‘edgy’ but he was good, great in fact, rock on Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

[QUOTE=byronbay2;113860728]I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

Fast forward 40 years and I am an adult now myself! I have seen Cooper every so often over the years and my opinion has never wavered: totally unfunny rubbish. Yet now, every few weeks it seems, there are TC retrospectives (and a movie!) with contemporaries and modern comedians falling over themselves to say what a genius he was and how hilarious his bumbling character was.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??[/QUOTE]

So sorry for your troubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've never watched Tommy Cooper but it seems to me that a lot of comedy acts could be attributed to a certain generation of fans. I think my grandfather liked Tommy Cooper, and he would also have been into the likes of Laurel and Hardy and The Two Ronnies yet you'd probably wouldn't see a lot of fans of those comedy acts nowadays. On the other hand, he probably wouldn't have been into a lot of the modern comedians today, he was very old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny that, how 40 year old comedy routines don't stand up to 21st century scrutiny. Also what people find funny is subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Gerronupoutofthat

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Funny that, how 40 year old comedy routines don't stand up to 21st century scrutiny. Also what people find funny is subjective.

This is it in a nutshell.

Comedy is highly subjective - what one person finds side-splittingly hilarious another will see it as just...meh. Tommy Cooper was a bit before my time - he keeled over and died on the spot on stage when I was about 8 or 9. I remember at the time that he died and how he died but not the man as a regular fixture on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

"I sleep like a baby. Every morning I wake up screaming around 2 o’clock."

One of my favourite Tommy Cooper jokes. The man never tried to be one of those comedians who provided social commentary, which makes much of his material timeless. The only time he died onstage was the time he actually died onstage. Which is also hilarious - the final punchline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Jus'li'da

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I've put up with this myth for a loooong time but now I have to speak out. It started (for me) in my early teens when there was a Tommy Cooper show on prime-time TV and, with only a couple of channels, I watched a few episodes. It was absolutely AWFUL! A bumbling buffoon, wearing a funny hat, getting card tricks (hilariously!) wrong and cracking a few terrible jokes. I knew he was popular at the time but it didn't bother me because most TV was terrible and I thought he appealed to an adult audience rather than me.

My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??

Answers to your questions
    1.yes you are
    2. Yes he was a genuis.
    3. No talent isn't generational.
    4. Charlatan ? Not even remotely. How many comedians today have the audience laughing before even say one word ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

They weren't funny 40 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

It's fine that you don't get his situation comedy

Facial expressions, foolishness. A lot do and enjoy his clumsiness. And cheesiness.

I can't stand anything "Monty Python"...I just dont get it. To me, it is not funny AT ALL.

So I suppose it's about taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

His physical appearance used to scare me when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Comedy, just like any art form, is subjective.

You not finding him funny doesn't make him unfunny, just like me not liking Led Zep doesn't make them **** at music.

I know Led Zep are class. They're just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Scroobius Pip liked him enough to make this tribute:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Just last week, they were showing old Tommy Cooper shows on Gold or ITV7 or something, and I watched a bit tried to move on, but even though it was a bit stupid, something kept me watching. He'd make a mess of a trick, continue on, and as you're thinking "This is ridiculous!" he'd suddenly do something to make you think "How did he just do that?!?". Maybe the bungling around lowers your expectation, but even if that was the case, it's a great angle! It does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

This time next week he'll get deleted for the cultural appropriation of a hat.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He cracked me up then as a young boy, and he still does.

Comedy gold.

Unique, and his schtick was for everyone, which can't be said about a lot of other comedians at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Where like the OP in my teens I couldn't understand what he was all about, in later years I understood his comedy act. The man was a comic legend in his own lifetime and still is. He still makes me laugh to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

This time next week he'll get deleted for the cultural appropriation of hat.

Lets hope they leave his statue alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He was good but he was no Aisling Bea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Its horses for courses with comedians but I thought Cooper was hilarious.

A guy walked up to me the other night and said “Quick, did you see a policeman around here?”
    I said no.
    He said: “Good -Stick em up.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

21st century UK audiences have made Mrs Browns Boys the biggest comedy show in the country.

I think the more popular and appealing to the general public something gets, the less edgy interesting or unique it is. Diluted, generic and formulaic. I don't think it's anything to do with the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They weren't funny 40 years ago!

Again, subjective.

Its still better than your stand up act.

I think the fact that he literally 'died on stage' would have amused him enormously, in retrospect.

Wonderful comedian. He came from nothing, unlike those somewhat spoilt Monty Python guys. He did it all by himself, I respect that a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

His last performance was his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Heresy

Spoon jar jar Spoon mutha f*ckaaa!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I remember him the twat in the hat. Or was that jamiroquai

Advertisement