Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hey Neil, if your in bright conditions and only starting out then something like the 55-250mm will be a decent place to start. It be bought for around €/$ 220.00...
    If you think its not going to be long enough (enough zoom) you could look into the 100-400mm but that will end up costing twice the price of the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hey Neil, if your in bright conditions and only starting out then something like the 55-250mm will be a decent place to start. It be bought for around €/$ 220.00...
    If you think its not going to be long enough (enough zoom) you could look into the 100-400mm but that will end up costing twice the price of the camera

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that would work in lower light, Ireland is not the sunniest of places:D I'll be buying in the States so might be able to get something a bit better, budget of about $400.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Neilw wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that would work in lower light, Ireland is not the sunniest of places:D I'll be buying in the States so might be able to get something a bit better, budget of about $400.

Low light as is dull weather or late in the evening?

For low light you'll need brighter glass - if a wider (bigger) aperture.
    Used sigma 70-200 ႒2.8 on adverts for €400?
    http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/sigma-70-200-f2-8-2-apo-dg-macro-hsm/1633672

Low light as is dull weather or late in the evening?

For low light you'll need brighter glass - if a wider (bigger) aperture.
    Used sigma 70-200 ႒2.8 on adverts for €400?
    http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/sigma-70-200-f2-8-2-apo-dg-macro-hsm/1633672

I'd say dull weather rather than late evenings. Unfortunately I'm out of the country so buying in Ireland is a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Wanted an even better macro than my 28-80mm for closer close ups and narrowed down the find to a 90mm, found 2, which in your opinion would be the best one to buy, as Im no expert in this area whatsoever!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160811168280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

OR

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/140760610083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Damokc wrote: »
    They've already bought a Olympus point n' shoot off them so maybe they're doing them a deal. On pixmania its 429.

The 1100D is €400.49 from your local Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you want closer "close-ups" you need to get a proper macro lens ....many lenses offer a macro facility but true macro ...1:1 reproduction requires either a proper macro lens or a system of close-up filters.

most people that have used the macro filters find them ...ok, they do not compare to a proper macro lens but if you are restrained by budget its a good alternative

Heres a link to one of the type of filters I'm talking about

can you clarify what types of motorsports you are talking about.

1. bikes road racing
    2. cars road racing (Rally)
    3. bikes track racing (can also be dirt tracks)
    4. cars track racing (Can be anything from mondello to nuremburg ring)
    5. Drifting and other motorsports which may not be officially sports.

if you intend doing the images in bright, dry, conditions or is there a chance you will have overcast, cloudy, rainy and windy conditions?

Do you know how to photograph sports ? or have you simply purchased a camera and because you have a camera and an interest in motorsports you want to go out and photograph motorsports ? Do you know much about photography ?

have you ever photographed moving subjects ? Do you know how to ? Do you know about positioning, panning, exposing, off-camera flash ? do you know about the relationship between ISO, shutter speeds, apertures, do you know what depth of field is ?

Purchasing a camera and suitable lens does not automatically mean you will get professional grade images, you have to learn how to take a photo as well as how to post process an image.

I'm sorry if all this sounds like I'm putting you down - I have no idea as to your experience except that you've just purchased a 600d and want to take photos of motorsports.

Also - just to add in - to get inside the barriers you will have to apply to the organisers, I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone else) do this until you are happy to put your life in danger - because thats what you are doing you are putting youself inside the barrier and will be first hit if something goes wrong....as was recently discovered with the latest motorsport deaths (in Ireland) or a pregnant woman and a photographer.

if you are buying in the states keep an eye on "craigslist" for possible bargains - its heavily used over there and plenty of good secondhand gear, reasonabily priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

BengaLover, what's your budget? You're unlikely to get a proper macro A-mount lens (1:1) for less than €150 euro, even second hand. Your options, in and around 90mm, are pretty much limited to these:

Sony 100mm macro: link
    Tamron 90 mm macro: link
    Sigma 105mm macro: link
    (there are older Minolta 100mm macro lenses as well)

Forget about seeing "Macro" on a lens description or name. It means nothing. If it doesn't say "1:1", it's not a macro lens.

If your budget is around €100, then your options are either macro filters, like PCPhoto said (just be sure the filter diameter is the same as the diameter of your lens). Or extension tubes, like these Kenko ones.

Macro filters will degrade sharpness, but they're cheap and small. By all accounts, the very best close up filters are the Canon 500D (not to be confused with the camera of the same name) but they're the same price as extension tubes (and more limiting, since they're diameter specific), so I don't really see the point (except for some specific circumstances).

Extension tubes wil preserve sharpness, but you lose some light. They're bigger than the filters, but smaller than a dedicated macro lens. You can use them with any existing lens (even a macro, to push your magnification up), and good ones will even preserve auto focus (although, for macro, you'll usually be using manual focus anyway). I wouldn't bother with anything other than the Kenko ones above.

I have all three (filters, tubes and lens). I never use the filters any more (bought them years ago), and I only use the tubes with the macro lens to give better than 1:1 magnification. I use the lens on it's own a lot.

So if you want the best 1:1 macro ability, go with one of the lenses above.

If you're budget is tight, and you want to preserve quality, go with the extension tubes.

If your budget is very tight, you don't really care about quality, and just want to mess around at getting very close to small things, go with the filters.

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    can you clarify what types of motorsports you are talking about.

1. bikes road racing
    2. cars road racing (Rally)
    3. bikes track racing (can also be dirt tracks)
    4. cars track racing (Can be anything from mondello to nuremburg ring)
    5. Drifting and other motorsports which may not be officially sports.

if you intend doing the images in bright, dry, conditions or is there a chance you will have overcast, cloudy, rainy and windy conditions?

Do you know how to photograph sports ? or have you simply purchased a camera and because you have a camera and an interest in motorsports you want to go out and photograph motorsports ? Do you know much about photography ?

have you ever photographed moving subjects ? Do you know how to ? Do you know about positioning, panning, exposing, off-camera flash ? do you know about the relationship between ISO, shutter speeds, apertures, do you know what depth of field is ?

Purchasing a camera and suitable lens does not automatically mean you will get professional grade images, you have to learn how to take a photo as well as how to post process an image.

I'm sorry if all this sounds like I'm putting you down - I have no idea as to your experience except that you've just purchased a 600d and want to take photos of motorsports.

Also - just to add in - to get inside the barriers you will have to apply to the organisers, I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone else) do this until you are happy to put your life in danger - because thats what you are doing you are putting youself inside the barrier and will be first hit if something goes wrong....as was recently discovered with the latest motorsport deaths (in Ireland) or a pregnant woman and a photographer.

Maybe I should send the camera back :D We all have to start somewhere.

I would be more interested in cars, both road and track. I go to mondello quite a bit. I've had some decent (imo) photos from moving subjects.
    Some of the events I got to are in the winter, so dull days are to be expected.

I'm in learning mode at the moment so reading a lot on the web. I'm planning on taking a course too. As for the terminology you mentioned above, I understand some of it and will read up on the rest.
    I've a couple of friends who can also point me in the right direction.

I'm watching craigslist alright, not too much on sale where I am though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

HIYA

quick question - looking for camera just to point and shoot - have 3 kids so needs to be quick but user friendly but image quality is a must!

Was looking at three cameras

Panasonic S2
    Fujifilm JX420 or
    Samsung PL221

any comments appreciated

THANKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Looking for some advice on a random comparison. The only camera I have at present is the 12MP camera on a Nokia N8 mobile phone. It's very handy to have in my pocket all the time for random shots. However, a few months back I borrowed a DSLR (entry level) and was blown away by the quality of point-and-shoot photos from it. We have a young child and the indoor and outdoor shots of him with the camera came out fantastic without me really changing any settings.

I'm looking to buy a camera now mainly for the following:
    1) Family photos at home or out and about
    2) Possibly an attempt at some sports photography (cycling/badminton) but nothing serious
    3) General photos while out and about

I'd like to think I'll take the time to learn about settings etc over time, but it's quite possibly that I'll mainly be doing point-and-shoot.

OPTION 1
    I see the Nikon L120 reduced to € 134 (including a cash-back voucher) in Argos - is this a no-brainer for my requirements? It yoyos on price and this is the best price I've seen it for.

OPTION 2
    Invest in a DSLR which I presume is gonna set me back probably € 400-500 for entry level. I had been looking a good bit at the Pentax k-r, which I assume might be cheaper in the coming months with a replacement on the way.

QUESTIONS
    Out of the box point and shoot am I likely to see much better quality pictures from a DSLR? Will that Nikon realistically be useless if I try it out for an indoor sport like badminton?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I suspect that most on here are using far more advanced cameras/equipment than can be found in Argos but I'll ask just in case :o

There seems to be good savings to be made on these cameras. I would be using it mainly for family/holiday photos but also for taking photos of products for my website and Facebook page.

Any of these stand out? Thanks for recommendations/advice

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=GREAT+DEALS+ON+CAMERAS&authToken&tag=ie:cat:p:offer:cameras

I suspect that most on here are using far more advanced cameras/equipment than can be found in Argos but I'll ask just in case :o

I'm not. I bought a Canon 500D in Argos a couple of years ago. It is still
    working well.
    There seems to be good savings to be made on these cameras.

You can get good value in Argos if you wait until they have a good offer
    on the item you want. They often sell off old stock when the new catalogue
    comes out.
    I would be using it mainly for family/holiday photos but also for taking photos of products for my website and Facebook page.

Those aren't very demanding requirements. Most of the cameras available
    should be up to the job.
    Any of these stand out? Thanks for recommendations/advice

Your link brings up a list with several different types of camera.

What are your priorities? Size, image quality, zoom range, price....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

hbr wrote: »
    Your link brings up a list with several different types of camera.

What are your priorities? Size, image quality, zoom range, price....

Thanks hbr,

I had to pay someone to take some photos that were published in magazines. My 8M pixel (point and press) camera could not provide good enough photos for them.

I have been told that these need to be at least 300dpi but don't know what this means or what camera I need to take these pics.

Basically it will be my everyday camera for photos of kids/holidays etc
    BUT also capable of taking photos of high enough quality (300dpi) for when I want to submit some of our products for review or advertising in magazines.

Appreciate the suggestions/advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Hey, I'm looking at getting my first DSLR and with the huge choice that's there, I have no idea what I should get.Lumix,Sony,Canon,Nikon? Currently I use a Pentax X90 Superzoom(Bridge) I take mostly landscape shots so would need to flexible lens for zooming.
    What would be the most suitable package? Or are those package deals a waste?(Poor quality lens)?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Hi, not too sure if this is the correct place for this so mods please move if necessary.

So i need a new camera - quick, as I'm going on holidays next week. €250 is my budget, i'm looking for a good point and shoot digital compact.

I recently had a sony cybershot HX5V which i found to be very good for what i was doing with it and i found the sweep panoramic feature to be great and i got some fantastic shots using it - so its a must that the new camera has that feature, are sony the only ones who do it?

I would like it to be good in low light conditions such as concerts and to have decent zoom capabilities.

I don't think I'm asking too much to get these features for this price - but maybe i am!!
    I would prefer to get another sony as i am kinda used to them a bit now, but i wouldn't mind trying a new manufacturer out either. I had a look online but it seems the HX5V is now discontinued, but i cant find the replacement model.

Any ideas??

Thanks hbr,

I had to pay someone to take some photos that were published in magazines. My 8M pixel (point and press) camera could not provide good enough photos for them.

8MP should be more than enough, even for fairly large print. There is more to
    image quality than sensor resolution. Obviously an 8MP DSLR with a good quality
    lens will usually produce a better image than an 8MP camera phone or a small P&S.
    I have been told that these need to be at least 300dpi but don't know what this means or what camera I need to take these pics.

300DPI doesn't really mean anything when you are talking about cameras.
    DPI (dots per inch) is a term used in printing. It is often confused with PPI
    (pixels per inch). Neither term has any place in a discussion about cameras.
    It would be possible to specify camera sensor resolution in PPI, but as far
    as I know, nobody does.

Basically it will be my everyday camera for photos of kids/holidays etc
    BUT also capable of taking photos of high enough quality (300dpi) for when I want to submit some of our products for review or advertising in magazines.

You will have to decide what class of camera you want to buy.
    Compact, bridge, mirrorless with interchangable lens, DSLR.....

A DSLR will be the most capable system. Mirrorless cameras like
    the Panasonic/Olympus Micro-Four-Thirds cameras come a close second.
    A camera like the Panasonic G3 is an excellent all rounder. A little smaller
    than a DSLR with excellent image quality, although the best DSLRs are
    just slightly better. If you choose a camera with interchangable lenses, you
    will have to decide whether the standard kit lens will be adequate for your
    needs or if you will need extra lenses.

The best camera/lens for your product shots will depend on the size
    of the product and the shooting environment. You may need a macro lens,
    external flash, extra lighting.....

Damokc wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking at getting my first DSLR and with the huge choice that's there, I have no idea what I should get.Lumix,Sony,Canon,Nikon? Currently I use a Pentax X90 Superzoom(Bridge)

If you need a DSLR, there are excellent models available from Sony, Canon,
    Nikon and Pentax (in no particular order of preference). Panasonic (Lumix)
    have abandoned the DSLR in favour of the mirrorless Micro-Four-Thirds system.
    Olympus seems to be moving in the same direction.
    I take mostly landscape shots so would need to flexible lens for zooming.

The standard 18-55mm kit lens on entry to mid level DSLRs is quite good
    for landscapes. You can get shorter (wide angle) and longer (telephoto) lenses
    if you need them. Canon and Nikon have an advantage here because they have
    a greater range of lenses and accessories. Be warned! most of the really nice
    ones are very expensive.
    What would be the most suitable package? Or are those package deals a waste?(Poor quality lens)?

Despite rumours to the contrary, the currently available kit lenses are generally
    very good. Things have improved a lot since the crappy kit lenses of a few years
    ago. Most of the Canon and Nikon kit lenses are stabilised and have excellent
    image quality. They don't have the build quality and weather resistance of the
    more expensive models, but they are optically very good.

• Advertisement

sandt wrote: »
    So i need a new camera - quick, as I'm going on holidays next week. €250 is my budget, i'm looking for a good point and shoot digital compact.

You should be able to find a reasonably good P&S for that proce.
    I recently had a sony cybershot HX5V which i found to be very good for what i was doing with it and i found the sweep panoramic feature to be great and i got some fantastic shots using it - so its a must that the new camera has that feature, are sony the only ones who do it?

None of my cameras have this feature, so I can't really comment on it.
    I have heard that Sony do this better than the other manufacturers.

You can make panorama shots with any camera if you do the stitching
    of the photos on your computer.

Why not buy a new HX5V or HX7V? The price is within your budget
    and it has the features you want.

I would like it to be good in low light conditions such as concerts and to have decent zoom capabilities.

There is a conflict here. You can have reasonably good low light performance
    or you can have a wide zoom range. You can't have both in a compact body
    with a physically small lens.
    I don't think I'm asking too much to get these features for this price - but maybe i am!!

If you want good shots without flash at indoor concerts, you are asking too much.
    You need a bigger camera and a fast lens. This will cost a lot more than your
    stated budget.
    I would prefer to get another sony as i am kinda used to them a bit now, but i wouldn't mind trying a new manufacturer out either. I had a look online but it seems the HX5V is now discontinued, but i cant find the replacement model.

The HX5V, HX7V and HX9V are available on eBay. The HX9V and HX7V
    are available from Argos. They have a reasonable price on the HX9V at the moment,
    but they don't seem to have any in stock. The HX7V is in stock but a bit pricey at
    €302.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

I'm looking at an upgrade to my Canon EOS 400D, which has been pretty good for the past 5 years. I have mainly EF lenses (2 'L'), and use an EOS 30 film body quite a bit of the time as well.

I've the chance this summer to upgrade, and the table below are the online prices I've found this week - I know that some of these suppliers have their own threads, problems and experiences.

I'm leaning towards the 7D myself, mostly for the frames per second, but the N3 remote connector will annoy me. The 400D and 30D have the Pentax one, and my remotes all work with that. It also has CF, which means if I work with two digital bodies (new and old), I'll be able to use the same memory card format.

The first question would be which camera is best (your opinion is welcome) and the second where to buy it (price, support and warrenty).

All prices are converted to Euro.

Camera|Adorama|BH Photo|Park Cameras|Simply Electronics|Warehouse Express|Amazon.de|Amazon.co.uk|Kerso|One Stop
    Canon 60D|803|803|944|730|924|868|931|823|818
    Canon BG-E9 (Grip)|128|132|185|130|179|165|160|153|146
    Canon 7D|1366|1366|1408|1089|1350|1265|1282|1224|1126
    Canon BG-E7 (Grip)|132|132|184|149|185|162|138|158|166
    Canon 5D Mk II|1768|1768|1970|1709|1969|1806|1970|1771|1910
    Canon BG-E6 (Grip)|183|188|270|203|259|226|245|221|209
    Canon LP-E6 (Battery)|48|48|86|60|80|65|58|56|74

My current thinking is to get the camera from Amazon.DE and the grip and extra battery from Amazon.CO.UK.

In know that the Amazon prices tend to go up and down, so some carful watching, could see the 7D go below €1200.

I know that there's talk of a 70D in the autumn - worth waiting for and paying a premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Looking to buy a camera but for about €250.

Mainly buying the camera to take on my travels around Asia but would use for other things as well. Would love to able to record high quality video - that's probably as important to me as the snaps.

Was thinking of getting either a nice compact or a bridge camera.

Whats important to me:

High quality images
    Good quality HD video
    Portable

Whats not too important:

Full control of the camera

Was looking at the Nikon L120 for €150 as it seems a bit of a bargain, but apparently the video isn't great. All help appreciated!

Other possibilities are Panasonic Lumix TZ20 or Sony Dsc Hx9v.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Looking to get into photography as a hobby.
    Will be mainly taking photos of birds,animals,portraits and landscapes.
    Have found a canon 400d with 1x 18-55mm, 3.5-5.6 II (kit lens)
    1x Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 II
    1x Cosina 100-300mm 5.6-6.7
    Would this be good enough to get started?
    I may be able to get it for about€300.

Thanks for all advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Looking to get into photography as a hobby.
    Will be mainly taking photos of birds,animals,portraits and landscapes.
    Have found a canon 400d with 1x 18-55mm, 3.5-5.6 II (kit lens)
    1x Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 II
    1x Cosina 100-300mm 5.6-6.7
    Would this be good enough to get started?
    I may be able to get it for about€300.

Thanks for all advice!

I wouldn't bother to have both 28-80 and 18-55. Get something faster instead e.g. 50/1.8 or save a bit more and get 17-55 2.8. You'll be more happier :)

Ended up stretching my budget to €320 and bought a second hand Canon S100 from ebay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

PCPhoto wrote: »
    do you NEED a DSLR ?

Why ? would a bridge camera be enough ?

(A bridge camera is a compact camera with adjustable settings like a DSLR)

No Bridge cameras are the lazy option... they have spic zoom but their sensor's are not to the same standard as that of a DSLR. Plus the functions on a DSLR are epic, inter changeable lenses they are vastly superior to Bridge cameras.. (slight camera snob!) :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

Tusky wrote: »
    Looking to buy a camera but for about €250.

Mainly buying the camera to take on my travels around Asia but would use for other things as well. Would love to able to record high quality video - that's probably as important to me as the snaps.

Was thinking of getting either a nice compact or a bridge camera.

Whats important to me:

High quality images
    Good quality HD video
    Portable

Whats not too important:

Full control of the camera

Was looking at the Nikon L120 for €150 as it seems a bit of a bargain, but apparently the video isn't great. All help appreciated!

Other possibilities are Panasonic Lumix TZ20 or Sony Dsc Hx9v.

Your best bet would be Panasonic Lumic DMC - TZ25 it has great Zoom, is compact, good sensor take great quality shots and if you buy it online on like jessops you'll get if for a great price. I would advise though to get good insurance for traveling .... have a good trip :D

vider12 wrote: »
    Your best bet would be Panasonic Lumic DMC - TZ25 it has great Zoom, is compact, good sensor take great quality shots and if you buy it online on like jessops you'll get if for a great price. I would advise though to get good insurance for traveling .... have a good trip :D

Already got an S100 - cheers for suggestion though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

As far as I know if you'll buy something at B&H ior Adorama, you'll pay VAT plus maybe some import tax.
    You want to shoot sports or wildlife? I'm wondering why you're about to get 7d. Since you have some EF lenses and you didn't have full frame, i'd say go for full frame, but if you really need faster AF plus more frames per second then go for 7d. Also, you really need grip? It's another thing to carry :)

Advertisement