Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord billing me for water rates - where do I stand?

• 10-04-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ok, I'll keep it simple. I live in an apartment in county Cork, above 2 businesses (my landlord owns both business and my private accommodation apartment).
    There's no water meter for the entire premises. Today he informed me that Irish Water have billed him for water charges for the last 16 months, and as there's no water meter on the property, he's going to bill us three ways.
    I'm not against paying, but I don't feel the three way equal split is fair. What is my best course of action going forward here - do I ask for the businesses to have separate meters installed? Do I have any rights here in terms of not paying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does your lease specify anything about bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

That's an interesting one. There have been no domestic water charges over the past few years but commercial properties do pay for water. Their usage will appear higher and thus the bills will be higher as your usage is included in the bill.

Not sure what the answer is, maybe give Irish water a call, this can't be a unique situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mikemac2 wrote:
    From my reading of this the landlord should pass your details to Irish Water and you deal directly with them. Your cap rate and your free allowance are yours

mikemac2 wrote:
    Your landlord is treating it very informally like housemates sharing a bill. You have a free allowance so an equal split doesn’t seem fair

Your information is out of date. There is at present no charge for water used by private dwellings. Commercial premises however are liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Fair nuff

Was straight from citizens information website

Not gonna argue water charges with your username :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mikemac2 wrote:
    Was straight from citizens information website

Did you look at the date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I don't think you should be paying the water bill - surely that's now only for the commercial side of the premises?

Was it all on one bill for the whole premises or were they individual bills for each business/dwelling? Have you seen the actual bill(s) or did your landlord just tell you the amount you had to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

5. (1) There shall be provided within the same habitable area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:(a) A water closet, with dedicated wash hand basin adjacent thereto with a continuous supply of cold water and a facility for the piped supply of hot water, and(b) A fixed bath or shower with continuous supply of cold water and a facility for the piped supply of hot water.

pg 73
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/guidelines_for_housing_authorities_-_minimum_standards_in_rented_accomodation_2017.pdf

Looks like you are entitled to your own supply with domestic conditions attached ie. no charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The bill is the owners and his fault for not getting a separate supply setup for the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You are not liable for domestic water charges because there are none.

Downstairs (commercial) are totally separate entities to you (residential dwelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Your landlord is a chancer who wants you to pay for his business water charges. Tell him to get stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Landlords can claim water charges as an expense right?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

El_Bee wrote: »
    Landlords can claim water charges as an expense right?

Commercial leases typically are clear that rates and water charges are tenant responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Commercial leases typically are clear that rates and water charges are tenant responsibility.

Absolutely but this isnt a commercial lease.

OP, LL is acting the maggot!

Advertisement