Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pipped.

But you got the best one, 10001, which is a palindrome. :)

Edit: Actually, no, Mzungu got the 10000th.

Motion to call the new thread "Well, I never!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Agent Mug wrote: »
    Did he jump or does it matter, one find guitar player he was really :cool:

Yes and got an honorable discharge after breaking his ankle after a bad landing. Was made join the army or go to jail for stealing cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

On the TV show the "Dukes of Hazzard" they destroyed so many '68-'70 Dodge Chargers that planes had to be used for aerial searches for replacement cars among the populace.

Looks like them Duke boys got themselves in quite the pickle!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

quickbeam wrote: »
    "American Airlines flies to 95 domestic destinations and 95 international destinations" (per Wiki, though of course it could be different during the time he flew). That equates to visiting each destination 52 times. Would kinda get boring?

He went to the UK over 500 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Billy was a welder in a shipyard

Yup,but also was in a T.A. reserve unit ,which was part of the Parachute Regiment.

Think he told a joke/wrote a song about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pipped.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pipped.

Well, at you're #1 in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This is one of the best threads on Boards.ie, but the first post in the original thread has only received 8 Thanks to date.

Anyway, there are 7 islands that are divided by international borders.

Here they are:

DxjGReAW0AEay9t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Napoleon only died in 1821.

So in 2 years time well surely have remembrance on his 200th anniversary.

For some reason I had him living way way back before then

Like he only missed world war one by about 90 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A “jiffy” is an actual unit of time, it’s 1/100th of a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If the palm of your hand is bigger than your face, you'll get cancer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If the palm of your hand is bigger than your face, you'll get cancer.

And most people who read that have just tried it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OOnegative wrote: »
    A barn is a unit of area.

100 square femtometres or 10 to the minus 28 meters squared

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    And most people who read that have just tried it.

Best tried in the school yard.

Or at the news desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

A barn is a unit of area.

100 square femtometres or 10 to the minus 28 meters squared

A Microbarn (10^-31 meters squared) is also known as an Outhouse and a Yoctobarn (10^-52 meters squared) is known as a Shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,967 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A moment is 90 seconds.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

"Be right back" is 5 minutes, at least.

"I'll be back in a minute" is 15 minutes.

"I'll be back in a few minutes" is 1 hour.

"We'll contact you shortly" is a week.

"your parcel is on its way" is up to 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

KevRossi wrote: »
    This is one of the best threads on Boards.ie, but the first post in the original thread has only received 8 Thanks to date.

Anyway, there are 7 islands that are divided by international borders.

Here they are:

DxjGReAW0AEay9t.jpg

The UK? Wales, Scotland and England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Nevaeh Shaggy Destroyer

Grueller wrote: »
    The UK? Wales, Scotland and England?

As they say on Pointless "And by 'country' we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right".

They are not International borders.

• Advertisement

"Presently" can mean both "Right away" or "In a while".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Nevaeh Shaggy Destroyer

New Home wrote: »
    "Presently" can mean both "Right away" or "In a while".

There are lots of great contronyms, or words that, depending on context, can have opposite or contradictory meanings.

Bound: Heading to a destination, or restrained from movement
    Cleave: To adhere, or to separate
    Peer: A person of the nobility, or an equal
    Left: Remained, or departed

I particularly love "presently" because a good few years ago we used to have a chap working with us during his summer holidays, he was very smart but also a smarty-pants when he wanted to be, so whenever he was asked to do something he'd answer "No problem, I'll do that presently". :D

New Home wrote: »
    I particularly love "presently" because a good few years ago we used to have a chap working with us during his summer holidays, he was very smart but also a smarty-pants when he wanted to be, so whenever he was asked to do something he'd answer "No problem, I'll do that presently". :D

Reminds me of The Patrician in Discworld
    'I shall deal with the matter momentarily,’ he said. It was a good word. It always made people hesitate. They were never quite sure whether he meant he’d deal with it now, or just deal with it briefly. And no-one ever dared ask.
    - Terry Pratchett (GG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Just reading about the Venturi Effect there. Can that be applied to wind rushing between houses in an estate as well or am I understanding it incorrectly? I'm sure it is but nothing online except some skyscrapers in Malaysia being affected..

The Patrician in Discworld
    ‘And these are your reasons, my Lord?’
    ‘Do you think I have others?’ said Lord Vetinari. ‘My motives, as ever, are entirely transparent.’
    Hughnon reflected that ‘entirely transparent’ meant either that you could see right through them or that you couldn’t see them at all.

- Terry Pratchett (TT)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just reading about the Venturi Effect there. Can that be applied to wind rushing between houses in an estate as well or am I understanding it incorrectly? I'm sure it is but nothing online except some skyscrapers in Malaysia being affected..

Yes. It’s one of the the reasons why you have lobbies in hotels, because the lobby breaks the air from rushing in once a door is open to the outside. Or using revolving doors also stops this from happening.

The venturi effect is essentially the velocity increasing due to constriction. The pressure drops but the velocity increases. It also applies to fluid dynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There are lots of great contronyms, or words that, depending on context, can have opposite or contradictory meanings.

Bound: Heading to a destination, or restrained from movement
    Cleave: To adhere, or to separate
    Peer: A person of the nobility, or an equal
    Left: Remained, or departed

The classic Irish one being, “I will yeah!”

It's also (and I apologise for lowering the tone already) the name of an old brand of condoms.

funny-condom-ads-jiffi-condoms-got-a-stiffy-put-on-a-jiffy.jpg

A friend of my grandfather tried to relaunch the brand in the UK during the 1980's AIDS/HIV panic. His proposed slogan:

"Real Men Come In A Jiffy"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yes. It’s one of the the reasons why you have lobbies in hotels, because the lobby breaks the air from rushing in once a door is open to the outside. Or using revolving doors also stops this from happening.

The venturi effect is essentially the velocity increasing due to constriction. The pressure drops but the velocity increases. It also applies to fluid dynamics.

That's awesome. Makes perfect sense. It surely has positive applications too. Braking systems? My interest is piqued now :-)
    More googling to do.

Found this

https://www.sae.org/news/2017/08/venturi-effect-powers-daycos-new-brake-assist-system

Advertisement