Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

8-10 wrote: »
    Bigger crowd = bigger atmosphere.

Not true at all. Was at Man United vs Spurs myself and all I could hear was a small section of away fans chanting ''60,000 muppets!'' at the masses. Prawn Sandwich brigade and all that.

I've been at matches in dingy auld grounds that wouldn't hold 5k and you could hardly hear yourself think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Omackeral wrote: »
    all I could hear was a small section of away fans chanting ''60,000 muppets!'' at the masses

Sounds like great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Pretty sure the real answer is 'marketing'

8-10 wrote: »
    Sounds like great craic!

It was poison. A dull 0-0 after a ferry ride and a bus trip. One of those over and back things. Just tourists taking pictures by the corner flag and bags of merch hanging off them. Didn't feel like passionate football to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,141 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the real answer is 'marketing'

I dont think marketing existed when i started supporting liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I dont think marketing existed when i started supporting liverpool.

Was there a sponsor on their Jersey?
    And now importantly, were they selling jerseys? ;)

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Was there a sponsor on their Jersey?
    And now importantly, were they selling jerseys? ;)

I dont think there was a sponsor on the jersey at that time. It was mid to late 70's before they started appearing.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    You said

Sounds pretty conditional to me now.

Right well as I say that's not what I meant and sorry if I mislead you in my previous comment. It's absolutely not conditional for me.

The Barcelona game just felt like a better atmosphere because of the context, time of the season, quality of opposition. I didn't support the team anymore than I did in league games, but there's something special about Anfield on a European night. Maybe it's the floodlights and the singing outside beforehand.
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    You also completely missed/ignored the point. In leagues other that the EPL the decrease in atmosphere can be explained by a decrease in attendance, attendance doesn't decrease in the EPL but the atmosphere does, its unique in that.

I specifically linked the size of the crowd to the atmosphere. But you are right that there are sold out grounds that have different atmospheres for different games. In my experience crowd size is a big contributing factor, but time of the season can matter, time of day (early kick offs are crap) i.e. how many pints consumed! and type of opposition which links into quality of the game can also matter. I don't think any of those things are unique really but I admittedly don't have that much to compare to.

Really I think the main difference in atmosphere tends to be Premier League v Champions League with the latter being much better atmosphere. And I put that mostly down to the time of the day coupled with the type of fans who go to the game - Champions League attendees are more likely people who don't get to go as often so make the most of a big night. Premier League is a lot of season ticket holders so it's much harder to get a ticket for.

But there's many many reasons. I just wouldn't trade an Anfield night in the Champions League for any other sporting event or team bar a big Ireland game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not true at all. Was at Man United vs Spurs myself and all I could hear was a small section of away fans chanting ''60,000 muppets!'' at the masses. Prawn Sandwich brigade and all that.

I've been at matches in dingy auld grounds that wouldn't hold 5k and you could hardly hear yourself think.

The Yid army :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I dont think there was a sponsor on the jersey at that time. It was mid to late 70's before they started appearing.

Hitachi around then?

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hitachi around then?

1979. I'm older than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Do you have to sing or shout to be a proper supporter? I just like watching football played at the highest level. You see detail in the stands that you don't see on TV.

Do you have to sing or shout to be a proper supporter? I just like watching football played at the highest level. You see detail in the stands that you don't see on TV.

Nah everybody feels and shows support differently. Totally agree about watching from the stands. It does go both ways though. There's stuff you only notice when you watch back a game on TV that you went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No you don't.
    That's the point we are making. You see more at the game and a greater appreciation.

Well unfortunately the Loi is the highest level on this island. You aren't going to be seeing Dinny cocoran lifting the champions leauge or getting a multi million move to the premiership but it's a decent little stepping stone for a lot of players.

A lot of players come back from the under 23s and play here and are decent players.
    Jack byrne for rovers got called up to the Ireland squad and so did James Talbot.
    Good few under 21s played for Ireland the other night.

The only hoof ball merchant is Cork, a lot of the other teams go out to play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But... you're not from there? :P

I also had a mate that followed Juventus, just Juventus. Same as other folks, he liked watching them on telly in the 90's. People used to think he was weird for following a foreign team in a foreign league.

Wasn't something similar said by an Arsenal staff member to Liam Brady when he wanted to head off to Turin.

The story goes -

Arsenal Staff:

But you will be playing football in a foreign country!

Liam Brady:

I am already playing football in a foreign country!

:D

I think there is a bit of that when Irish people support Premier League clubs they do not see it as 'foreign' they look for links to Ireland with the club wherever they can find it so they can continue with the self-delusion

Picking a foreign club as a fan and using he prefix 'we' seems the norm for a large cohort of Irish soccer fans.

But the real bit that gets me is that these same Irish PL supporters (normally top 6) suddenly get a sense of national pride at international level.

However, if I decided today that I would start supporting the Holland national team, (because they are doing well have young exciting players) people would think I am off my head. Dressed from head to toe in Dutch orange and chanting Dutch songs.
    What would be the response of people in the local pub?

Plus when 'we' (my new team Holland) play the Republic of Ireland, I will naturally chose the Dutch as 'we' are a better team.
    'We' play much better football.
    I naturally would have to develop a hatred for the German national team etc.
    I might even grow my hair and get dreadlocks, in tribute to our former legend from Euro 88.
    I have never even being to Holland.
    But that will not stop me from 'supporting' my (new) team 'de oranje'.

But yet an Irish person who supporters a Premier League team (top six team usually) thinks this behaviour is the most natural thing in the world with thier new team.
    (Except for the dreadlocks growing bit maybe)

Suddenly boundaries/boarders are irrelevant.
    The Irish Premier League supporter is part of the club, just because they pick it.
    Not because of community.
    Not because of where they are from.
    But because they like winners, and like the glamour/hype of it all - they are engaged in the product and brand completely.

Anyway 'we' have won one European Championship already!
    How many has Ireland won? They are sh!te. (Stront as 'we' say in Holland)
    All long ball, hoofing.
    How many 0-0's and goals have your Irish team scored recently?
    We invented total football.
    God I really love this banter - 'we' will win the world cup yet.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

We hate youse!

Friend of mine was fit to be tied when Bohs played one of "us" - think it was "the Pool" a few years back and not only were 95% of the supporters cheering for "us", but some of them were slagging off the Bohs lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

It was lost way back when the best Irish players went to England.

You can see that rugby in places like Ireland and New Zealand have learned from the mistakes and above all things try to keeep their best players at home.

One of the key factors they reckon in English soccer becoming popular in Ireland was the introduction of the pools, which encouraged Irish papers to print results on Saturday evening editions. That would have been around World War I period. Then that was reinforced by Irish players like Jackie Carey going to play over there.

Midlife wrote: »
    It was lost way back when the best Irish players went to England.

You can see that rugby in places like Ireland and New Zealand have learned from the mistakes and above all things try to keeep their best players at home.

That is a very good point - people need players to identify with.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

That is a very good point - people need players to identify with.

Yeah, I think once your national soccer idols are there it makes sense.

Since then, the EPL has gone international in a more global sense and features very few Irish players anymore. However, the relative positions of the leagues of both coutries mean that it's a done deal.

They may as well be different sports at this point in time. It's like asking an Irish Basketball fan why they bother with the warriors and don't just support a local club.

• Advertisement

Midlife wrote: »
    It's like asking an Irish Basketball fan why they bother with the warriors and don't just support a local club.

I'd imagine people with a genuine interest in basketball here either play or support a local club.

I like watching it the odd time I'm burning the midnight oil and love watching GSW, but I certainly don't have an emotional attachment to them!

Same applies to NFL teams although I do know people who lived over there and have liking for the team in the city they were.

Let's face it, the EPL thing is a residue of our historic connection, good and bad, with Britain. I don't like EPL and find some of their supporters annoying and sad, but I don't regard them as being less Irish or anything. no more than people who spent a lot of their time watching British soaps.

Just nt the same thing as being engaged with real life things happening your own community; be it soccer, GAA, rugby, basketball, cricket, bowls, whatever! Not a uniquely Irish phenomenon. Japanese are disturbingly obsessed with Man U, NY Yankees and foreign crap of all varieities, for sucha cultured people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Plus when 'we' (my new team Holland) play the Republic of Ireland, I will naturally chose the Dutch as 'we' are a better team.
    'We' play much better football...
    But yet an Irish person who supporters a Premier League team (top six team usually) thinks this behaviour is the most natural thing in the world with thier new team.
    It is the most natural thing in the world and your trying to say apples and oranges are the same thing when they are actually very different. Ireland/Dublin represent where I was born so I'd never wear the jersey of another country/county as I am Irish/a Dub. clubs are different, I was born and raised in Crumlin, St pats and Shamrock rovers are my nearest clubs, both very good LOI teams and a good Friday night option but neither club represent my community and I could pick either club. People might find the we strange with foreign clubs but I don't see the foreign clubs complaining

Greyfox wrote: »
    It is the most natural thing in the world and your trying to say apples and oranges are the same thing when they are actually very different. Ireland/Dublin represent where I was born so I'd never wear the jersey of another country/county as I am Irish/a Dub. clubs are different, I was born and raised in Crumlin, St pats and Shamrock rovers are my nearest clubs, both very good LOI teams and a good Friday night option but neither club represent my community and I could pick either club. People might find the we strange with foreign clubs but I don't see the foreign clubs complaining

Of course the foreign clubs won't complain they get more money!
    It is not apples and oranges.
    Both are teams and they represent an area.
    A country is just a larger extension of what a club team is.

In fact, when Ireland were relatively successful on the national stage the players used to refer to it as like being in a 'club side'.

Basically what you are saying is that LOI clubs have lost most of thier community to global brands.

I don't see how you think it is the most natural thing in the world supporting a foreign club?
    That baffles me if I am honest.
    Granted if you had an Irish club you supported and a foreign club as well because you like soccer - I could understand that a bit where a person just loves the sport.
    But to just support a big foreign club and say you are a fan of soccer itself, does not stack up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Astria

I was born and raised in Tipperary. My mother kept the home when Dad worked.

Dad worked in the merchant navy for yrs and loved soccer.

He lived in Inchicore when I was born. He was an officer on the Holyhead ferry.

We used to go to Richmond Park. Some of my earliest memomories in life are of him swearing and getting angry with me up on his lap.

He was a very emotive man, but very loving.

I just could never get why most of Dublin and the rest of the country supported the English league .

Yeah support the English teams and then give out yards about the English 😂 beats me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Astria wrote: »
    Yeah support the English teams and then give out yards about the English �� beats me too!!

Why?
    I could support my local team but my neighbours could be dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Of course the foreign clubs won't complain they get more money!
    It is not apples and oranges.
    Both are teams and they represent an area.
    A country is just a larger extension of what a club team is.
    In fact, when Ireland were relatively successful on the national stage the players used to refer to it as like being in a 'club side'.

A country is not even remotely a larger extension of a club team.
    Players of a country cannot transfer from one country to another.
    There are no transfer fees.
    At any point in time the number of clubs from a given city playing in the main leagues of a country rises and falls waxes and wanes.

Clubs and countries are entirely different entities in origin and nature.
    GAA county teams are more like international soccer teams.

When the Irish players described it as a club team they meant in atmosphere that it had a small squad of the same set of players over time, instead of the choppy-changey nature of the larger international squads of other countries.
    They said it precisely because it was NOT a normal expectation but because it was so remarkable, that here was an international team with the atmosphere of a club team.

There is simply no comparison between club teams - some of which were formed for people in Sheffield who could play football on Wednesdays, some for the workers of a particular factory such as Arsenal - and political entities recognised internationally.
    Basically what you are saying is that LOI clubs have lost most of thier community to global brands.

No, if they lost their community to anyone they lost it to the local GAA club and county team - or rather, didn't lose it but GAA got there first and are entrenched in almost every parish. And if GAA satisifies those for whom community is the be all and end all when it comes to sport, for those who want the glory, glamour, the flair, the drama and the sense that what they are watching is where 'the action is' on a worldwide stage, the natural place to look is the top divisions of England.
    And many Irish sports fans are capable of appreciating both qualities.

That top divisions in England and Scotland are also where players winning 95% of the caps for the Republic of Ireland international soccer team have plied their trade.

When you factor in common language, common travel area and the media penetration of not just soccer and Match of the Day but British TV, media, the BBC in general into Ireland, the interest is easily explicable.

Would we have a domestic soccer league on par with say that of Norway or Denmark if we didn't have a GAA? Or would the close proximity of the 'pull' of the English clubs have always meant Irish players plying their trade there?
    I don't know, but if you want to know why Irish people support English soccer teams, the answer is in that mix of factors.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't see how you think it is the most natural thing in the world supporting a foreign club?
    That baffles me if I am honest.
    Granted if you had an Irish club you supported and a foreign club as well because you like soccer - I could understand that a bit where a person just loves the sport.
    But to just support a big foreign club and say you are a fan of soccer itself, does not stack up for me.

I watch lots and lots of football, not just the EPL and would watch a big LOI game if I happened to have the time therefor I'm a fan/lover of football. All that matters is the emotional connection and I feel that connection with my foreign club. I love there history, there former players, what the club means to some people, the memories I have with people I watched matches with and all the wonderful banter and conversations I've had with rival fans, I absolutely adore the Liverpool/Manu rivalry and with English football I have something in common with so many other Irish people.

YFlyer wrote: »
    The Yid army :D

It was actually the game when Roy Carroll spilled Mendes' halfway line shot about 2 yards over the goal line and it wasn't given. Suppose that was memorable in fairness and had a great view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

The irony of the exact same posters that said football isn't tribal defending saying "we".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

LOI v EPL debates are always amusing. A lot of inner bitterness emerges!

Advertisement