Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Checked in on the portfolio there to survey the damage. Back in the green overall.
    freyners wrote: »
    I'll throw a good word in here for the popular investor. Irish guy behind it (robert reynolds). Been in his service since December and been very happy

Thanks for the tip. I'll check him out. TBH, some of the others are quite pricey and I gotta think of them as taking a % of any gains. I'm just doing my research with what data I have now and it makes sense in 6 months... a years time I'll give one a go. Sticking to what I know is fine, but it means putting all my eggs in one basket, and I just don't have the time to go figuring out which stocks in other markets have the best long term potential. There's great knowledge here on these boards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

cronos wrote: »
    PSTH is recovering really strong. Don't see that 22 happening. Shame was hoping for a quick dip buy but glad for everyone in it. Curious what caused it to turn. Market seems to be rising.

Lesson learned, right moves but got too greedy trying to buy back in at 22 rather than being more reasonable. 23 actually would have hit and I'd be up a few thousand.

I'm curious if this rebound will hold though. Was very fast pump. Guess people are going off the jobs numbers and assuming the stimulus get's done over the weekend? Stocks are still overpriced though, Tesla didn't rebound yet. Still would prefer things slowly trend up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

That was a crazy day, didn't off load the IAG with the drop but picked up the RDSB. Then the US opened, what a wild ride, not a tap was done at work the tail end of the day.

I worry this is a bull trap people so be careful everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Added small positions in APPS, PINS, UPWK, GHVI, GILT & LOTZ

Watching LMND, DKNG

Mad day

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

1percent wrote: »
    That was a crazy day, didn't off load the IAG with the drop but picked up the RDSB. Then the US opened, what a wild ride, not a tap was done at work the tail end of the day.

I worry this is a bull trap people so be careful everybody

You probably picked up the RDSB shares I sold, best of luck with it, I think oil has very little left to run, shell are trying to move away from oil but that's going to be a long painful transition. The Saudis could anyday decide to ramp up production and these oil plays with drop like a stone, even Tullow oil is back at yearly highs. My thoughts anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We had wild moves last March too, whenever SPY moves more than 1% a day the market is chaotic, dont think we at the end of it yet.
    Got rid of my MICT and put it into KBNT and PERI at the bottom or as close as bloody Degiro would let me. Didnt do due diligence on that and bought into the fomo - insider ownership is around 2.8% and the CEO Darren Mercer is a very dodgy type (took out a 270k loan from BNN as it was being wound up - shareholders shafted - see thread about BNN/Mercer here), the shelf offering diluting the shareholders 30% as the market was crashing stank to high heaven too.

Oh, and my head hurts this morning.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Started the year almost 25% in cash but that's down to 8% now with all the recent buying. Have a quarter of the remainder lodged in my account and ready to go next week if there are further drops. Topped up more ARKK and ARKG yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Just gonna throw this in here. Look at the last 6 days of trading on GME, say whatever you want but that's real growth. Higher highs and higher lows every single day this week.

If there's a squeeze then I wonder how big it'll get with this build up. It looks a lot like the 9 days before the pop in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Do ppl think the bump ok Fri afternoon will hold and we go up and up from here ala March '20? Listened to Jim Cramer yday and he talked of 2015/16 and the 5 human emotions of a crash. Market dropped Jul 2015 and recovered by Oct. Then tanked again before recovering by Q2 16 and roaring since. So basically the uptick on Fri afternoon could be temporary and we could fall further from here - a bull to trap as stated above.

My first time trading in a correction period so interested to get ppls takes and how it influences strategy.

Seems like most sensible play is just to keep averaging in on stocks I'm long on bringing down my BEP. Maybe buy into some commodities and maybe real estate based stock like LGIH.

Yeah I'm bringing my BEP down on longer plays and I'm getting into some dividend plays at a good return %.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Kilough wrote: »
    Do ppl think the bump ok Fri afternoon will hold and we go up and up from here ala March '20? Listened to Jim Cramer yday and he talked of 2015/16 and the 5 human emotions of a crash. Market dropped Jul 2015 and recovered by Oct. Then tanked again before recovering by Q2 16 and roaring since. So basically the uptick on Fri afternoon could be temporary and we could fall further from here - a bull to trap as stated above.

My first time trading in a correction period so interested to get ppls takes and how it influences strategy.

Seems like most sensible play is just to keep averaging in on stocks I'm long on bringing down my BEP. Maybe buy into some commodities and maybe real estate based stock like LGIH.

Bull trap imo.

There was a boost on the Jobs Report yesterday but this correction began with rising interest rates and there is no indication of that changing. The Federal Reserve have said they are unconcerned about rising rates.

I learnt my lesson in the sell-off of December 2019 which was driven by quantitative tightening and reversed by the abandonment of that policy.

QE has warped the relationship between normal business cycles and the stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

Kilough wrote: »

Yeah I listened to the podcast - his reference to the various phases made me reflect on my portfolio!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

growleaves wrote: »
    The Federal Reserve have said they are unconcerned about rising rates.

That is patently not what Powell said in the last two weeks. He said they were unconcerned with the rise of inflation up to 2%, but that would only happen at near full employment in the future and that the federal reserve had a number of fiduciary tools and safeguards at their disposal to ensure it didn't rise above that.

Now, tbf, the market and 10y bond stuff have decided to consistently go mad at anything other than a firm statement from Powell - which he explained on Friday that, as an apolitical organisation, he would not and could not give. That said, he did make a very strong statement about his own negative experiences as a young adult emerging into the job market during a time of inflation.

QE is certainly correlated strongly, and 1.9t is not to be sniffed at, but the market is acting catatonically after the bull run of a year it has had due to any signal that the party is over. They could be trying to force the hand here, but its unlikely to happen.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    That is patently not what Powell said in the last two weeks. He said they were unconcerned with the rise of inflation up to 2%, but that would only happen at near full employment in the future and that the federal reserve had a number of fiduciary tools and safeguards at their disposal to ensure it didn't rise above that.

Now, tbf, the market and 10y bond stuff have decided to consistently go mad at anything other than a firm statement from Powell - which he explained on Friday that, as an apolitical organisation, he would not and could not give. That said, he did make a very strong statement about his own negative experiences as a young adult emerging into the job market during a time of inflation.

QE is certainly correlated strongly, and 1.9t is not to be sniffed at, but the market is acting catatonically after the bull run of a year it has had due to any signal that the party is over. They could be trying to force the hand here, but its unlikely to happen.

Okay well apologies for not being precise and the quoting it exactly but I see no contradiction since we are below 2% now and I was only talking about the immediate short term.

The poster I was replying to wanted to know if anyone thought the macro trend had become bullish again from yesterday.

I'll write things out more carefully next time.

growleaves wrote: »
    Okay well apologies for not being precise and the quoting it exactly but I see no contradiction...I'll write things out more carefully next time.

You're trying to make me out to be pedantic, but it makes an absolutely massive difference to how this plays out. If the Federal Reserve said they were unconcerned with interest rates at this juncture they'd cause a full on market crash. You'd have seen the 10y yield skyrocket on Friday and it would likely have tanked the dollar prior to the stimulus package. This has played out before when Miller was chairman leading to inflation running at 14%.

With Jerome saying that interest rates were obviously of huge concern, and they had the tools to deal with it, it still spiked the 10 year above 1.5%. There's an element of trying to force the hand of the Federal Reserve evident at this stage, as Barron's pointed out:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/will-fed-shift-focus-to-inflation-not-with-stocks-still-near-peaks-51614972421

The important bit there being
    Barrons wrote:
    Interest costs one percentage point above the Congressional Budget Office’s baseline estimate would add $9.7 trillion—more than 10 times the annual U.S. defense budget—to the deficit from 2021 to 2030. Such worrisome possibilities, the strategists conclude, make some form of yield curve control inevitable.

Since you bring up the Macro Trend question, and the 'immediate short-term' the worst-case scenario answer is that the market misbehaves for another two or so weeks until March 17 when the Federal Open Market Committee concludes, in an attempt to force the hand of the Federal Reserve in relation to yield curve control. Personally I doubt it will come to that, but its possible. I'd agree with you that Monday will most likely represent a bull trap.

I'm aware of the implications. I've explained what I meant. Conversation over.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Question: let's say I bought 1 amazon share at 3500 a few months back, could I not just buy an amazon share now for 3,000 and then sell the the other one? (Isn't it first in first out for cgt purposes?) Obviously, at that point you couldn't buy another amazon shares for another 28 days, but you'd be able to write that 500 loss off for CGT purposes.

What am I forgetting in the above example?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

jams100 wrote: »

What am I forgetting in the above example?

“The FIFO rules are modified in any case where shares of the same class are bought and sold within a period of four weeks. Where shares are sold within four weeks of acquisition the shares sold are identified with the shares acquired within that period.” - Revenue

You would need to wait a month after buying the second share, before the normal FIFO rule would apply and the share sold would be identified with the one bought at 3500.

“The FIFO rules are modified in any case where shares of the same class are bought and sold within a period of four weeks. Where shares are sold within four weeks of acquisition the shares sold are identified with the shares acquired within that period.” - Revenue

You would need to wait a month after buying the second share, before the normal FIFO rule would apply and the share sold would be identified with the one bought at 3500.

Some helpful worked examples from revenue here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-19/19-04-06a.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Where's the best place to get US futures data?

Many thanks
    Omt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

Many thanks
    Omt

If it’s futures for the overall indexes like SP500, Nasdaq etc then yahoo finance and CNBC both have futures but with a 15 minute delay. If you’re on Degiro, it has futures for the indexes in real time. For individual shares, again yahoo and CNBC will have this with a slight delay. The NASDAQ’s own website has real time, if it’s a Nasdaq listing, ie https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/cslt/pre-market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Many thanks
    Omt

I use IG trading or stocktwits

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

is the S&P500 still off limits for us? or has there been a work arounf?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Nasdaq Futures continuing last week's trend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Nasdaq Futures continuing last week's trend

LSE flying for me...may bank some for shopping later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

retalivity wrote: »
    LSE flying for me...may bank some for shopping later on.

Sadly Boohoo my only LSE stock has been continuing it's slow downward trend. Still hoping it turns the corner back upwards slowly.

I expect a green Monday, just like last week. Wonder if it'll close strong this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

circadian wrote: »
    I expect a green Monday, just like last week. Wonder if it'll close strong this time though.

SMT down 4% again.. doesn't bode well...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭masterK

Cpfm wrote: »
    SMT down 4% again.. doesn't bode well...:(

It's back to pretty much early September 2020 prices at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Possibly useful to hear as things have taken a hammering in recent weeks.

The second or third stock I bought after about two months in the market at the end of 2019 was a company called Callon Petroleum. Bought in the very start of Jan 2020. Anyway, after a few weeks it was down a bit so I added to my position. Then, as everyone knows the bottom fell out of oil and by April I looked at my Revolut holdings (I had been avoiding looking at it as I held two oil stocks in there). Anyway, I saw I was down 86% on this company. I think I may have got to -90% at one stage but I didn't see it.

Anyway fast forward to today, and I'm 10% in the green! Sold a bit of my holding as in the last year I had added Shell and some oil majors I'm happier to hold longer term but the lesson is you don't lose unless you sell! Obviously if your thesis changes it can be wise to cut loses but I'll be keeping this in mind if the tech sell-off continues.

Advertisement