Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures of Archaeological Artefacts

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Smiles35 wrote: »
    If it was 6 thousand years then these would be concurrent with farming here. It's 9,000, so this is around the time of the first people arriving in Ireland.

They were farming much earlier than us in the Fertile Crescent.

Though yesterday I read somewhere (I cannot find now of course!) that organised settlements were much earlier than agriculture anyway. The picture is always changing :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i may be bending the rules slightly with this:

https://twitter.com/gillianmobrien/status/1364223325669494791

Rome 4th century AD. It is the only complete example of a very special type of glass, known as dichroic, which changes colour when held up to the light. The opaque green cup turns to a glowing translucent red when light is shone through it.

jsej4wv01rc21.png

i may be bending the rules slightly with this:

https://twitter.com/gillianmobrien/status/1364223325669494791

:pac: I would so definitely like a pair of those.

Those ancients and their enviable swag..
    Hot-water bottles in the shape of human body parts for therapeutic purposes. From Paphos, Cyprus, 1st c. BC - 1st c. AD.
    These clay vessels were filled with hot liquids (water or oil), and applied to the aching parts of the body in order to relieve pain.

EvAmTZgWgAU5IVM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EvAmVBtWgAA1AuT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EvAmWbsXUAEX-Fy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Advertisement

I don't know if the Archaeology forum is known for breaking fast happening news, but here goes. Ceremonial carriage unearthed at Pompeii. And, goodness me, but it looks from the decorations that people where having rather jolly good times.

?m=02&d=20210227&t=2&i=1553145861&w=640&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=LYNXMPEH1Q07U

archaeologists-uncover-ancient-ceremonial-carriage-near-pompeii_large
    Archaeologists have unearthed a unique ancient-Roman ceremonial carriage from a villa just outside Pompeii, the city buried in a volcanic eruption in 79 AD.

The almost perfectly preserved four-wheeled carriage made of iron, bronze and tin was found near the stables of an ancient villa at Civita Giuliana, around 700 metres (yards) north of the walls of ancient Pompeii.

Massimo Osanna, the outgoing director of the Pompeii archaeological site, said the carriage was the first of its kind discovered in the area, which had so far yielded functional vehicles used for transport and work, but not for ceremonies.

"This is an extraordinary discovery that advances our understanding of the ancient world," Osanna said, adding that the carriage would have "accompanied festive moments for the community, (such as) parades and processions".

https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/world/archaeologists-uncover-ancient-ceremonial-carriage-near-pompeii-557618/

pompeii-carriage-discovery.jpg

The full dig described - https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/world/archaeologists-uncover-ancient-ceremonial-carriage-near-pompeii-557618/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Those ancients and their enviable swag..

EvAmTZgWgAU5IVM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EvAmVBtWgAA1AuT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EvAmWbsXUAEX-Fy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I'm pretty sure they're Apple Airpods.

Something very stark and yet beautiful about this, including the gouged eye. Supposedly (but not for certain) Sargon of Akkad. Bronze Head. 2300 BC. Nineveh.

EwEdB7vXEAM75zL?format=jpg&name=medium

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Sargon
    According to a folktale, Sargon was a self-made man of humble origins; a gardener, having found him as a baby floating in a basket on the river, brought him up in his own calling. His father is unknown; his own name during his childhood is also unknown; his mother is said to have been a priestess in a town on the middle Euphrates. Rising, therefore, without the help of influential relations, he attained the post of cupbearer to the ruler of the city of Kish, in the north of the ancient land of Sumer. The event that brought him to supremacy was the defeat of Lugalzaggisi of Uruk (biblical Erech, in central Sumer). Lugalzaggisi had already united the city-states of Sumer by defeating each in turn and claimed to rule the lands not only of the Sumerian city-states but also those as far west as the Mediterranean. Thus, Sargon became king over all of southern Mesopotamia, the first great ruler for whom, rather than Sumerian, the Semitic tongue known as Akkadian was natural from birth, although some earlier kings with Semitic names are recorded in the Sumerian king list. Etc etc rest at link...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Something very stark and yet beautiful about this, including the gouged eye. Supposedly (but not for certain) Sargon of Akkad. Bronze Head. 2300 BC. Nineveh.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Sargon

Two very attention grabbing snip-its from Encyclopedia Britannica.

The first reminds me of the story of the finding of Moses. I can only guess that it was an older, sort of group story for a home audience about being temperamentally possessive.

The second one is beyond interesting. The king he was supposed to have killed was called Lugalzagesi. That's Lug, from the Book of Invasions. If you think of the book of invasions as a series of cathartic challenges, then you have to ask why were the monks interested in actual personages from that time. If you figure in the other island, it's makes a little sense. We were united under Catholicism at that point and a little more talk out of you would be required accordingly.
    Now, Sumner is very interesting. The first writing came from there. It's possible to come up with a practical and serious use for writing if you think of a bunch of spread out cities where the vagrancies of the weather could actually affect your food supply. To actually have to keep informed of a leaders name there(you can't have Lug without Sargon) is extra deep.

Really though, it's a great time to mention there are countries down there now in need of assistance after we all know what. Take an interest all if you have not already.

To make a nice even mirrored number on my post count. The lovely and mysterious Venus De Milo.

300px-Front_views_of_the_Venus_de_Milo.jpg

21c84073-e2a5-454c-9f41-2f67fa3b89da-660x1020.jpeg?width=300&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&
    The Venus de Milo (/də ˈmaɪloʊ, də ˈmiːloʊ/; Greek: Αφροδίτη της Μήλου, romanized: Afrodíti tis Mílou) is an ancient Greek statue and one of the most famous works of ancient Greek sculpture. Initially it was attributed to the sculptor Praxiteles, but based on an inscription that was on its plinth, the statue is now thought to be the work of Alexandros of Antioch.

Created sometime between 130 and 100 BC, the statue is believed to depict Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty, although some scholars claim it is the sea-goddess Amphitrite, venerated on Milos. It is a marble sculpture, slightly larger than life size at 203 cm (6 ft 8 in) high. Part of an arm and the original plinth were lost following the statue's discovery. It is currently on permanent display at the Louvre Museum in Paris. The statue is named after Aphrodite's Roman name, Venus, and the Greek island of Milos, where it was discovered.

AKG138060.jpg

Adieu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

4000 year old Babylonian stone weight:

u1p2m4ermvz61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

The medicinal waterbottles from Cyprus reminded me of this chap that I saw in Cyprus.
    Fourth to sixth centuries B.C. and would have stood 3m tall, so the tallest statue from antiquity found on the island. It originaly stood in a temple until Ptolemy's soldiers had a go at it. The torso is made up of fired clay tubes and the rest is a mix of moulding and working by hand. The colour differences are as a result of different depositions. Even in the sterile atmosphere of the local museum, this guy left quite an impression on me- very intimidating looking.
    The relatively small head was common in statuary at the time apparently.

Advertisement