Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2012 Season predictions

• 10-03-2012 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Since there hasn't been a predictions thread in a few seasons I thought I'd start one up. Here are mine...

NL East: Phillies
    NL Central: Cardinals
    NL West: Giants
    Wildcards: Reds and Nationals

Hard to predict who will have the best record in the NL but I'm going to go with the Phillies and Giants in the NL Championship series with the Phillies winning.

AL East: Yankees
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Angels
    Wildcards: Rangers and Rays

I think the Tigers will have the best record in the AL and predict they will play the Angels in the AL Championship series with the Tigers winning.

So that gives a world series of Phillies v Tigers. Pushed to choose, I plump with the Tigers. I must see what price I can get for them in the bookies :)

Any other offers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was 1 out of 6 last season with my division predictions so expect top quality picks you can put your house on again this season....!!!!!

It's still a bit early in Spring Training to commit to picks so I'll make mine in a couple of weeks but I'd say it'll be something along the lines of Yankees, Tigers, Angels, Phillies, Cardinals, Giants with Braves, Brewers, Rays and Rangers as the WCs.

Coeus wrote: »

So that gives a world series of Phillies v Tigers. Pushed to choose, I plump with the Tigers. I must see what price I can get for them in the bookies :)

Any other offers?

I presume that's what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I presume that's what you meant?
    Yep, I need to re-read my posts before I post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Wildcards: Marlins & Brewers

Crap-shoot after that, will go with the Brewers to make a run all the way to the World Series.

AL East: Rays
    AL West: Rangers
    Wildcards: Angels and Red Sox

Sox for the wildcard is a heart-over-head prediction, see the Rangers winning it all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

Thought I would through mine into the mix!

NL East: Miami
    NL Central: Brewers
    NL West: Arizona
    Wildcards: Reds and Phillies

Wildcards: Angels and Toronto

WS - Yankees over Phillies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NL West: DBacks
    Wildcards: Giants and Nationals

WS - Yankees, beating Phillies unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

AL

East - Red Sox
    Central - Detroit
    West - Texas
    Wildcards - Yankees and Angels

NL

East - Philadelphia
    Central - St. Louis
    West - San Francisco
    Wildcards - Reds and Marlins

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Just over half a day until the season opener :D
    Got my snacks and drinks and whatnot and ready to roll

The change in time zone really throwing me off though as I'm used to staying up until 3am to watch most Mariners games

My predictions:

AL East - Yankees, Red Sox (WC), Rays, Jays, Orioles
    AL Central - Tigers, Indians (WC), Royals, White Sox, Twins
    AL West - Rangers, Mariners :pac: , Angels, A's

NL East - Marlins, Phillies (WC), Braves, Nats, Mets
    NL Central - Brewers, Reds (WC), Cards, Cubs, Pirates, Astros
    NL West - Rockies, Giants, Dodgers, D'Backs, Padres

WS - Tigers over Phillies

I was 1 out of 6 last season with my division predictions so expect top quality picks you can put your house on again this season....!!!!!

It's still a bit early in Spring Training to commit to picks so I'll make mine in a couple of weeks but I'd say it'll be something along the lines of Yankees, Tigers, Angels, Phillies, Cardinals, Giants with Braves, Brewers, Rays and Rangers as the WCs.

As the season starts tonight I suppose I'll submit my official picks. I'm going with the favourites in most cases which is the easy option I know so I actually hope I repeat last year's performance and get most of them wrong.

AL East - Yankees
    AL Central - Tigers
    AL West - Rangers
    AL WC - Rays, Angels

NL East - Phillies
    NL Central - Cardinals
    NL West - Giants
    NL WC - Reds, Marlins

And I'll say Phillies over the Rays in the World Series just like '08.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭eire4

I will go with the following:

AL East: New York Yankees
    AL Central Detroit Tigers
    AL West Los Angeles Angels
    AL Wildcards Tampa Bay Rays, Boston Red Sox

AL Champion New York Yankees

NL East Philadelphia Phillies
    NL Central St Louis Cardinals
    NL West San Francisco Giants
    NL Wildcards Miami Marlins, Atlanta Braves

NL Champion Philadelphia Phillies

MLB Champion New York Yankees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

My uneducated guesses:

AL East: Tampa Bay Rays
    AL Central Detroit Tigers
    AL West Los Angeles Angels
    AL Wildcards New York Yankees, Texas Rangers

AL Champion Tampa Bay Rays

NL East Philadelphia Phillies
    NL Central St Louis Cardinals
    NL West Arizona Diamondbacks
    NL Wildcards Miami Marlins, Atlanta Braves

NL Champion Philadelphia Phillies

MLB Champion Philadelphia Phillies

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

gciddy wrote: »
    Thought I would through mine into the mix!

NL East: Miami
    NL Central: Brewers
    NL West: Arizona

Wildcards: Angels and Toronto

WS - Yankees over Phillies

Wildcard Toronto! I hope so it would be nice to see Toronto back in the playoffs. They have not been in almost 20 years. The world series does not sound right when it is only American teams in it. I'm rooting for the one Canadian team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cubs making steady headway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Cubs making steady headway now.
    Rex%2520business%2520people%2520laughing%2520in%2520office.jpg

I know its early in the season but I read today that Ruben Amaro Jr says the Phillies may be a selling club come the July trade deadline if their form dont improve. That dont bode well for all the Phillies predictions...

I know its early in the season but I read today that Ruben Amaro Jr says the Phillies may be a selling club come the July trade deadline if their form dont improve. That dont bode well for all the Phillies predictions...

I love seeing the Phillies struggle but I don't think they're in as bad a position as is being made out. The trades they made to get the pitching they have really depleted their farm system and this is catching up on them now that their 2 best hitters are on the DL.

They're still only 5 games back though and we're only in May so I wouldn't be having all the panic talk yet. Utley and Howard will be back at some stage and surely the rest of the lineup will start to hit better at some stage.

For their sake they'd better start doing better. You know how fans in Philadelphia get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Getting late to this, but I will predict it how I would have predicated it:

NL East: Marlins
    NL West: Diamondbacks

The Cardinals and Diamondbacks in the NL Championship series with the Cardinals winning.

Wildcards: Angels and Boston

Tigers and Rangers in the NL Championship series with the Rangers winning.

Rangers defeat Cardinals in the final.

I love seeing the Phillies struggle but I don't think they're in as bad a position as is being made out. The trades they made to get the pitching they have really depleted their farm system and this is catching up on them now that their 2 best hitters are on the DL.
    They are gonna struggle more now that Doc is headed to the DL. Not that he has been great this season but he eats innings and saves the bullpen for others.

Injury is a lat strain and they saying are 6-8 weeks out but you always have to worry when pitchers get shoulder injuries. Have all the innings he has thrown over the years finally caught up with him...

As the season starts tonight I suppose I'll submit my official picks. I'm going with the favourites in most cases which is the easy option I know so I actually hope I repeat last year's performance and get most of them wrong.

AL East - Yankees
    AL Central - Tigers
    AL West - Rangers
    AL WC - Rays, Angels

NL East - Phillies
    NL Central - Cardinals
    NL West - Giants
    NL WC - Reds, Marlins

And I'll say Phillies over the Rays in the World Series just like '08.

2 months in, time to check in on how the predictions are doing. Only 1 of my 6 division predictions are correct at the moment so I'm on course to equal my record from last season.

However the Yankees and Cardinals are within touching distance and I think the Tigers will still win the ALC but I'm not too confident in my Giants or Phillies picks. My wild card teams are still in with a shout too so all is not lost. Still early days though.....

Since there hasn't been a predictions thread in a few seasons I thought I'd start one up. Here are mine...

Wildcards: Reds and Nationals

Hard to predict who will have the best record in the NL but I'm going to go with the Phillies and Giants in the NL Championship series with the Phillies winning.

I think the Tigers will have the best record in the AL and predict they will play the Angels in the AL Championship series with the Tigers winning.

Any other offers?
    Just thought I'd see how I was doing with my season predictions now that the season is half way through.

I only have 1 of the 6 division leaders at the moment but the rest of my picks are in good position to push for their division titles or wildcard spots except for the Phillies!

Tigers will need to get alot better if they are gonna win it out. The AL central is alot tougher than I though it would be. The Indians are solid and the White Sox can hit and have Chris Sale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement