Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If he knew the exact figure, would you have then agreed with his point?

Ah Jaysus.

There is no point entertaining a person who clearly doesn't know the basic facts of the position he is stating

Here's a definition for you

How can he be so certain that they get too much if he doesn't even have a ballpark notion of how much they get?

Why on earth would you think that him actually knowing the figure would mean that people would have to agree with his stance? But the fact that he doesn't even know the figure proves he's talking shite

Casey is just a chancer and waffler. He was going to "leave" politics. Then decided he'd stay in and start his own party. Today, he wants to join FF and be Taoiseach. He actually has no policies or beliefs other than whatever might suit at that point in time in getting him into some position somewhere.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You may have missed my Sarcasm Donny :P

I wasn't the only one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    To be honest even though I voted Casey I don't think he would make the best of politicians, I voted for him because I am sick and tired of all the political correctness and not being allowed to comment on career social welfare spongers.

I have a good job and I work hard, yet can't afford to buy a house near my kids or where I grew up. Others I know from years ago in school who have not bothered to make anything of themselves have had houses handed to them by the state and if I dare comment on it I am a right wing racist?! I am all for social welfare as needed but it should not be an option to make a career of it like the Margaret Cash's of this country do.

This is the one point I will ram down any politician knocking for votes soon.

A non working person should never be handed a house in an area of their choosing when a working person can’t get the same option.

And they should never be given the same house for 40 euro a week in an estate where people have to pay 1500 a month on a mortgage.

Lads in my class in school who bullied people and where general wasters who dropped out after the junior cert now living in areas with nice shiny houses paying pittance in rent.

It’s wrong on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There are some people who do not fit in and society is better off leaving them out of the workplace and letting them live in a house on very low money.

Most enterprises value harmony, peace and order in the workplace and would be averse to hiring or retaining a bully or waster into their team.

The alternative to ordinary housing is jail or incarceration which is much more expensive than subsidised housing for these types of people.

It is far from ideal but we can be thankful that the bullies did not turn to serious crime and end up costing society more by being in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

And Casey is joining Fianna Fail. Clearly a man of principles..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    And Casey is joining Fianna Fail. Clearly a man of principles..

It wasn’t a support vote for him it was to send a message to the government.

Let’s be honest he was clearly out of his depth in the debates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,740 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah hes great comedy

Yesterday he said he wants all 30,000 travellers to live in Aras an Uachtarain
    Today he says he will be the next FF taioseach

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He's trolling but perhaps that doesn't come across in print

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pjohnson wrote: »
    No no. It was his welfare stance that appealed to Casey voters not his comments on travellers.

It's not actually possible for you to know that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How do the Casey voters feel about him potentially joining FF? Bit of a blow I'd imagine.

Hilarious. Evidence of a man who has studied the arts of populism.

If he was true to his words then FF would not be a choice for a working person's party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It wasn’t a support vote for him it was to send a message to the government.

Let’s be honest he was clearly out of his depth in the debates!!

The government he wants to join!

Let's face it'll, most of these guys are self serving and full of ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Considering FF are the party responsible for the expansion of the welfare state he is so seemingly against it's a bit rich of the twat to want to join them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Casey is a very poor orator. He struggles to make his points clearly and I notice he often doesn't finish sentences properly.

He might not be great at this aspect of it all, or make a coherent politician, but he has to be admired for asking speaking his mind, especially in an email where careers can be ruined by one I'll judged sentence.

For that alone, I think he deserves a lot of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Ah now in fairness, it should be very very easy to find a better candidate with similar views to Casey.

He just stumbled onto a bit populist fortune. A smarter candidate would have done more with it

You are 100% spot on here. Its an amazing result considering he was quite a poor candidate.

23% of the voters who gave 2 fingers to Varadkar are in play now to be picked up in the next GE by a party with the right message for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There was a very very strong Hint of Law and Order in that Vote .
    The Rural people in particular do not want to be intimidated and robbed in their homes .
    Do keep up Leo ! And not just fancy socks please !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jackman25 wrote: »
    You are 100% spot on here. Its an amazing result considering he was quite a poor candidate.

23% of the voters who gave 2 fingers to Varadkar are in play now to be picked up in the next GE by a party with the right message for them.

They're not really. The exit poll showed most of them will be back voting for FG or FF at the next election. This idea that the 23% are some sort of hive mind bloc ready to start a social revolution is completely off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He's trolling but perhaps that doesn't come across in print

So was Donald Trump (the real one) and we all know how that turned out...

This is how things start - you get people outraged with a specific easy target race/ethnic group/group of people in order to distract people from the real issues so you can have power while the country gradually eats itself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    To be honest even though I voted Casey I don't think he would make the best of politicians, I voted for him because I am sick and tired of all the political correctness and not being allowed to comment on career social welfare spongers.

I have a good job and I work hard, yet can't afford to buy a house near my kids or where I grew up. Others I know from years ago in school who have not bothered to make anything of themselves have had houses handed to them by the state and if I dare comment on it I am a right wing racist?! I am all for social welfare as needed but it should not be an option to make a career of it like the Margaret Cash's of this country do.
    I'm Sure there are many of us who feel the same way, good to see someone stand up for the majority of hard-working people who don't like being told what to think, as if our opinions are "wrong!" and out of step with the official viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,740 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The irony of people are saying they voted for a millionaire who doesnt pay tax here because the system is so unfair

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Marian Finucane and her establishment cronies on Radio 1 now dismissing Casey's vote as a blip and non event.
    She even said or agreed that his 23% vote is not a big message to the establishment. "Its only 23%"
    I would beg to differ on that. Casey's vote is a strong message to our social democratic government to reboot our social welfare state and make it harder for the "pay for nothing brigade" to bleed our country dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Marian Finucane and her establishment cronies on Radio 1 now dismissing Casey's vote as a blip and non event.
    She even said or agreed that his 23% vote is not a big message to the establishment. "Its only 23%"
    I would beg to differ on that. Casey's vote is a strong message to our social democratic government to reboot our social welfare state and make it harder for the "pay for nothing brigade" to bleed our country dry.

Agreed. It’s an outrage. Only one brief reference to social welfare lifers, which I suspect is what upsets most people. They are crying racism in an effort to bury the story. Sadly, I think they’ll succeed.

The irony of people are saying they voted for a millionaire who doesnt pay tax here because the system is so unfair
    I think he clarified his tax affairs several times that he is a US taxpayer already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

This is how things start - you get people outraged with a specific easy target race/ethnic group/group of people in order to distract people from the real issues so you can have power while the country gradually eats itself.

Peter Casey didnt get anyone outraged.
    He gave voice to what people think about travellers and what he said was very minor to what people are saying in communities in rural Ireland. These people are afraid to speak out because the travellers have terrified and intimidated them, not because they are sfraid they will be called racist on social media.
    I hope Peter Casey has good security on his house, not many people would say what he did, they would be too afraid for their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Instead of just dismissing this as Donald Trump part 2,they should find out why people voted for him. This is a simplification but here goes. Not all of Trump's voters were rednecks whose grandfathers lynched black people and listen to Fox News 24/7. Many were people felt they weren't being listened to by the establishment and felt disconnected. They knew he was a jerk but voted anyway.

Casey's comments were self-serving but what's more disturbing is the way they're being dismissed. Many people who live in Ireland have no time for travellers and social welfare lifestylers. They don't need to be brainwashed by a TV station to decide that. They're seeing it with their own two eyes. If they're unlucky, they're being affected by it. Yet no politicians have the balls to do anything about it. This is a great country to live in if you are an ethnic minority or are too lazy to work. Working people get the short shrift and it's no wonder they're angry.

This is a shot across the bows and something policy makers should be heeding. At the very least, there needs to be a proper debate about it. Shutting this down and throwing Donald Trump remarks around is counter productive.

Feck off :pac:

I think we'll bring Casey over to sort out our Traveller and Caravan problems.

All them ISIS feckers coming from the terrorist hotspot of Guatemala

Jackman25 wrote: »

I read a comment somewhere, might have been in an article to make the point of what would have happened if he had the persona of a Farage , able to actually verbalise and convincingly present whatever point he was making. That's when things get scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Ah hes great comedy

Yesterday he said he wants all 30,000 travellers to live in Aras an Uachtarain
    Today he says he will be the next FF taioseach

There is no substance to your criticism. By all means debate his points. But just scoffing is wafer thin.

• Advertisement

The issue is that there isn't really a coherent message in these vague "protest vote" scenarios. Everyone is voting for their own "protest" reason. And it would be impossible for everyone to be satisfied because often their aims are mutually exclusive or contradictory.

You can bet your life there were people who voted in protest because they have been waiting on housing lists for years and perceive that people - travellers/foreigners/single mothers / whatever - jump them in the queue. And you'll get the people protesting that there is any social housing at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement