Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Amazing differences around the country going by the reports above. Another glorious day in east Galway with warm sunshine and beach weather skies. 18c currently and still waiting for some rain, with totals this May so far still only on 1.5mm.

My 'daily weather report' for this month so far showing rainfall totals. Not even sure where the 0.1mm came from on the 10th and most likely an erroneous reading.

cUjynYl.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2.3mm at Claremorris up to May 16th.

Its top 5 driest Mays on record:

1. May 1991 - 8.8mm
    2. May 1978 - 16.7mm
    3. May 1950 - 17.1mm
    4. May 1975 - 17.6mm
    5. May 1977 - 19.9mm

The only other May that Claremorris has recorded 5.0mm or under of rainfall during the first half (1st-16th) was May 1996 with 1.3mm. This was another notable cold May as shown in the graph I posted yesterday and is the second coldest on record for many Irish stations behind May 1979.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

West will get rain in next few hours as will Sligo

How much though

A cold May this year usually means glorious Summer?

Prob warm and thundery instead. We are die that kind of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1pm ,a cool 10 degrees at Casement, a very mild 17 in Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We had good rain in the night, and now utterly glorious, Had my lunch outside even.. clouds draping across but warm and lovely. Had to shed a blanket off the bed last night! west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think we will be back lighting fires again this weekend. My father already has his heating on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think we will be back lighting fires again this weekend. My father already has his heating on.

We didn’t turn it off in the evenings tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just got a surprise looking at the radar on met eireann, not a drop of rain in my area of meath, very cloudy though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭highdef

Downstairs heating was switched off nearly two weeks ago, upstairs was switched off about a month ago. Any sunshine coming in the windows is now enough to keep the house warm. The main living area is currently at 22.8c, a bit lower than the past few days owing to the cooler weather and breeze but still comfortable.

Having to open the bedroom window for a half hour or so most evenings as upstairs is a warmer again. I'm seriously thinking about getting a small AC unit (a proper one with refrigerant, not one of those cheap ones that you put ice into) for the bedroom as most summers involve extremely warm nights at times. Leaving the windows open all night often results in midge bites as I also ditch the bed sheets during most of the summer. A 30 minute blast of AC in the bedroom before bed would make it nice and cool and allow me to have a (3.5 tog) duvet over me, for comfort.

Anyway, I'm digressing......13.2c in North Kildare, overnight low of 11.0c. Light to moderate rain has cleared to the west. Overcast (but quite bright) at the moment but next batch of rain will arrive soon. Garden really needs it as I've a fair few fairly new plants which need regular watering until they get established. Also have 5 small (for now) Eucalyptus trees planted and they can't dry out. Water butt almost empty but the rain today will not fill it to a great degree.

Have to head to the office in Dublin for a couple of hours.....I shall meet the rain on the way.

No fuel left here and I would not on principle light fires in May! Ah well,, warm enough indoors but parky out now the sun has gone and the rain is coming in on a chilly breeze ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just got a surprise looking at the radar on met eireann, not a drop of rain in my area of meath, very cloudy though

I spoke to soon, rain has arrived

Latest Met Eireann radar (left) vs Met Eireann's model forecast for 4pm:

ov1y7bD.png

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Latest Met Eireann radar (left) vs Met Eireann's model forecast for 4pm:

ov1y7bD.png

Theyr on the ball (holidays)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not one to bash Met Éireann, but their forecasts in the last week have been the worst quality I've seen in a long time.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm not one to bash Met Éireann, but their forecasts in the last week have been the worst quality I've seen in a long time.

I feel I have been bashing them so ill stop but your right and they are normally too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

brightened up here after a cool, damp day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

First rainfall today in a couple of weeks. Don't have a record of the actual date of the last rainfall as my weather station died last month :(

Terrible evening heavy rain.

will be interesting to see how cool this month turns out if the next 2 weeks is mostly cool. It's been a fairly cool and often cold month. The short to medium range models are pointing towards daytime temperatures mostly in the low to middle teens up to the end of the month.

Highest temps at my location so far this year:

January - 12C
    February - 17C
    March - 18C
    April - 23C
    May - 18C (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Today wasn't great or anything but it wasn't as bad as I expected just by looking at the radar. Since last winter, whenever Met Éireann mentioned something like "showers and an easterly breeze", we usually ended up with a full wet day here.

• Advertisement

A staggering 1.0 mm total today from that oddly slow moving band of rain, which makes it my wettest day this month so far. Still way not enough to water the camels or refill the ponds for the elephants to bathe in, but might settled the sand down for a while.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Unreal from the radar it shows rain over Galway since around 8pm last night and we still have not had any and it's now 1am , how can that be

Terrible evening heavy rain.

It was glorious rain! So much needed and so much appreciated,

A peaceful gentle morning. Just enough breeze to keep the midges off and a few spots of rain now. Clouds climbing up the mountains... perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Not here hopefully
    Already warmer than yesterday and it's not yet 11am in Arklow
    15c currently
    Glorious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

Not so nice over in the south west today. Cool, very overcast and damp but seems to be improving as the day goes on.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not here hopefully
    Already warmer than yesterday and it's not yet 11am in Arklow
    15c currently
    Glorious

it felt nice here this morning but feeling quite chilly again. Currently 13C which is a few degrees higher than yesterday.

Was brighter earlier on today quite dull now and of course cool. The roaster days reported in this thread earlier in the week never materialized really here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

it felt nice here this morning but feeling quite chilly again. Currently 13C which is a few degrees higher than yesterday.

Yeah dulled up here later but not too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dull all day in Dublin but still no rain

Advertisement