Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMDB New Look - whatcha think?

• 20-02-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My favorite movie resource (and i presume many other peoples) - IMDb - has had a re-design.

Not a big fan of it - you're only really see the change on individual pages of movies rather than the front page.

But i definitely preferred the old look. What i don't like about the new look the small thumbnail of the poster off to the left, small star rating to the right, slightly centered cast listing just make it too a bit untidy.

Not a drastic change but a change all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yip noticed the redesign today.
    Dont like it at all,the older design was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

I can live with it. It's not fantastic, but not terrible. Just a pointless change, really. The old way was perfectly fine the way it was. What's annoying is how often they change the site. I know, update and keep it fresh, but it's kinda ridiculous how often it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Petey2006 wrote:
    What's annoying is how often they change the site. I know, update and keep it fresh, but it's kinda ridiculous how often it happens.
    I've used it for years and never really noticed many re-designs to be honest.

Except when they added the message board - but this re-design i noticed immediately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hate it. Everything's too small and there's too much white empty space. I suspect this is so they can fill it with more ads. Thank god you can still (temporarily) switch back to the old look.

Hopefully they'll listen to all the negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm surprised they left it this long to make it newer looking, I mean with all the super flashy graphics that you can put on webpages these days, compared to other sites IMDB was pretty simple.
    Meh, the change won't keep me awake nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

BopNiblets wrote:
    I... compared to other sites IMDB was pretty simple ...

True, but that was what I liked about it as well. I think as other posters have said, everything is too small in order to increase adspace. Certainly prefer the old look.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Dont like the new look at all. The page looks very empty with the amount of white space. "If its not broke dont fix it" springs to mind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I don't really like it, it's not too bad, but I much prefer the old one. It'll take some getting used to.

But you can still use the old format for now - just go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

c - 13 wrote:
    True, but that was what I liked about it as well.
    Yeah, me too! Sometimes simpler is better, especially when you're looking for information and you need it fast!
    Compare it to other film sites like RottenTomatoes or its TV equivalent (I think), TV.com, it's much easier as a source of information with easy navigation.
    I don't like all the flash doodads and images on TV.com for example, it's a bit distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I prefer the old layout but I'll struggle on living regardless. :)

thanks for that link Jello...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I like the new design. And I can see why they did it - the new look definitely ties in a lot more with the look of IMDBPro and displays the information in a much less cluttered way. Yes, a lot of the empty space may be filled with ads, but what do you expect from a free service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's hardly worth making such an underwhelming change tbh. They need a full and proper redesign it's looking VERY old now-a-days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a mess and its takes longer to load it seems, they also should exclude the full details and leave them in a subpage. Movie credits are so long these days.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hot_wla

What a mess! The information is all over the place. Chaos. The page is not stable to the eys, it seem to be bleeding.

Go back to the old look !!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Nope, don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Er...zombie thread much? imdb changed its look months back again, this thread started 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

krudler wrote: »
    Er...zombie thread much? imdb changed its look months back again, this thread started 3 years ago!

Ha. I was reading this thread and looking at IMDB trying to figure out what everyone was complaining about and why it looked exactly the same as it did the last few times I checked it.

Damn Zombie threads!:p

Emm.. it's definitely changed VERY recently.

Look at how they're showing Filmography now - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/ - and Movie Details - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440728/.

I check IMDb once every few days and this is definitely a new update. It's horrid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's bloody awful. It's zoomed in too much. Feels like the screen is on top of you. :mad:

• Advertisement

What are they thinking with the massive images of the cast? I miss the old IMDB:

imdb-1.png

:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

basquille wrote: »
    Emm.. it's definitely changed VERY recently.

Look at how they're showing Filmography now - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/ - and Movie Details - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440728/.

I check IMDb once every few days and this is definitely a new update. It's horrid!

It still looks exactly the same to me :confused:

It still looks exactly the same to me :confused:
    You seeing something like for the first link?

picture1wlsz.png

This is definitely new!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hmmm... I'm not getting that ^. Still looks the same.

• You guys are lucky. I don't particularly like the new design at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hmmm... I'm not getting that ^. Still looks the same.

Me neither. Are you signed into IMDB basquille, or using IMDBPro?

Not signed in, or using IMDb Pro.

Bit odd alright.. but the new design is absolutely horrific, so as Magdalena Lively Bridge said, consider yourself lucky!

If anyone wants to see a sample page for how it shows a film now.. I've uploaded a copy of the Batman Begins page to my webserver.

See here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Basq is right, it's been modified alot in the last few days...i troll, i mean navigate IMDB alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I like it, it's more in line with the mobile app which I think is a good idea.

Will take a while to get used to though.

Advertisement