Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...?

• 16-05-2006 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

First of all I'd like to say I'm not looking for medical advice, I've read the rules before my post, so I hope its ok that I ask this? Thanks :)

Can anyone recommend a Cognitive behavioral therapist in the Dublin area? I've googled it but no joy really. Only books and stuff like that.

Thank you,

Troubled One

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can't recommend anyone, but I'm pretty sure the HSE have CBT people on staff. Check with your GP - he may be able to refer you.

A book you might try: Mind Over Mood by Greenberger and Padesky. It's a comprehensive workbook, costs about €25. Not generally available though. There is a Medical Bookshop on Clarendon st. (parallel to Grafton St) who stock it, or Chapters in Abbey Street will order it in for you. You can also order online from the publishers at www.guilford.com . Also, take a look at www.mindovermood.com .

[edit] Just looked at the mindovermood site. There is a link to Amazon (mindovermood get a cut if you use this link) where you can order the book for less than €15!

[edit: spelling]

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Can you set yourself up with a temporary reg account so I can PM you details?

Dont particularly want to post a name and phone number up publically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Can anyone recommend a Cognitive behavioral therapist in the Dublin area?

Why?

Any therapist worth their salt will deploy a range of therapies depending on the client and the presenting problems. My opinion is that if they stick to a given school of thought, they cant be as effective as therapists who can think across the schools of psychological thought.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

Try http://www.bodywhys.ie

They have a list of service providers for the different areas and I know some have specified CBT.

You can contact them to see if they treat whatever it is your issue is.

Also try www.irishhealth.ie
    Click on 'Find a Professional', they have an index of people there too.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask your doctor or psychologist / psychiatrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

There's a guy called Gerard Butcher based near Capel St.
    Be prepared for a wait though, he had a 5 month waiting list 2 years ago as there's only 2 or 3 private CBT people in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Talk to your dr and go through the referal system becuase you may not need CBT for your issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Try contacting the Irish Assoication Of Counselling and Psychotherapy they will have a list of therapists, also as far as I remember therapists who adverstise in the Gloden Pages often name which approach they work from. Also I work for the HSE there are many CBT therapists working there, it just depends on your location and what type of service your looking for. AS others have said your gp will also be a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Over the past year I've been seeing a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and he/she is apparently the best in this country. I do not feel safe showing his/her contact details on this forum however. If it is okay with the forum moderators I will PM 'Troubled One' about this...?

Kevin.

Urrgh, I just noticed that Troubled One is not a registered member...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Chucky wrote:
    Over the past year I've been seeing a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and he/she is apparently the best in this country. I do not feel safe showing his/her contact details on this forum however. If it is okay with the forum moderators I will PM 'Troubled One' about this...?

Kevin.

Kevin,

Troubled One is posting anonymously, so you won't be able to PM them. Maybe if they have a real account, they could PM you?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

True, but in any case to get to see this therapist you'd need to be assessed by a psychiatrist first, as I was. Are there CBT therapists that do not need referrals from Psychiatrists/GPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Yeah you don't have to be assessed by a psychiatrist to go see a CBT therapist who's in private practice. I reckon checking with the IACP (as above) or PSI (Psychological Society of Ireland) is a good start, check that they are registered. Also, I would wonder why you are set on that particular type of therapy? There are so many types out there.
    I would disagree with the above poster who said that a therapist should think across all schools of thought - that would make me question their training. All the different types of therapy are grounded in very different, and often totally contradictory philosophies, making it impossible to subscribe equally to all of them. It's not a 'mix and match' thing, the therapist has to really believe in what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

There's a guy called Gerard Butcher based near Capel St.
    Be prepared for a wait though, he had a 5 month waiting list 2 years ago as there's only 2 or 3 private CBT people in Dublin.
    Yeah, he's been my therapist for last 5 months or so. Really sound guy, easy to talk to, seems pretty insightful. I was only on the waitin' list for bout 2-3 months tho, but who knows how long the list is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'hi arbeitsschauer..
    can you tell me how good yu find him? How long have you been seeing him? Are you still attending or is there a specific number of sessions you do with him? Also how much does he charge if you don't mind me asking?
    Is it weekly/fortnightly?
    thank you'

Advertisement