Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which solid fuel stove do people recommend?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

vicar1 wrote: »
    hello Folks,
    has anyone used a Waterford Stanley Shamrock stove. I have just bought a second hand one, hope to use it for central heating - has anybody used one or know where I might get the instructions ? Thanks!

I recently moved into a 2nd hand house, and have been using the solid fuel stove in the living room for a few months. Was fairly happy with it, but it was old, the enamel was a bit the worse for wear and the glass had a crack in it, so I emailed Waterford to see if they had any info on it or could identify the model.

They were most helpful - I emailed off a photo and last week they identified it as a Shamrock, which is approx 20yrs old !!!

It seems to work quite well, heating quite a few rads in the house, although none of them to a very hot level.

I too am looking for some instructions/technical data on it - did you ever track any down?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vicar1

Hello NIMAN,, got a brochure from Waterford Stanley on the Shamrock stove - it doesn't give the capacity but gives the instructions. If you want a copy send me your email address and I will send one on. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hopelesscase

Hi, I need some spare parts for my Charnwood multi fuel boiler stove, and am trying to find a supplier in Ireland,I am prepared to travel but preferable as near to Dublin as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭randombar

I know this crowd do Charnwood stoves, sound fella easy to deal with and very reasonable. http://www.stovesireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

varney wrote: »
    Hello All,

Only discovered Boards recently and find it brilliant as a source of valuable advice, especially as it is specific to Ireland.....Keep it up!!

My question(s):
    We have an old cottage which over the years has been restored and extended onto. In the old sitting room there's a largeish fireplace which we hope to put a solid fuel stove into. We really need it to heat the water and link into our existing oil fired rads.

I believe there was a new flue put into this fireplace about ten years back, but am not certain. Should it be obvious from shining a torch up the chimney?

Which stove would people recommend for the job? I tried a local fire centre here in Sligo and they dismissed all cast iron stoves as short-lived. The guy informed me that all the Stanley stuff is Chinese and you'd be lucky to get five years out of one. He recommends getting a steel model by and English company called Charnwood.

I've asked around and people seem to agree. Does anyone out there have one, and how do they rate them?

Thanks in advance to all replies.
    Michael,.
    whoever told you that these stoves are ****e is wrong, i have one of those little multifule stoves in my sittingroom with 20 yrs, it is as perfect as the day i put it in, and i put some scorchers of fires in it over the past twenty yrs, i just bought a beauty lately, at a great price at, www.discountdepot.eu, this place is on the dingle road out of tralee, i found them through the net, and found them to have the best price, i had searched all over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 annadoc1

hi ya
    we fitted a charnwood insert stove last feb, the best buy we ever made. bought it in kilkerrin co.galway. the guys name is gordan he had loads of spare parts. maybe check him out. sorry dont have his number but should be easy to check on the net.
    hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jack12a

Hi annadoc1,
    Is the insert stove you fitted a charnwood 20i slx model, I am in the process of purchasing an insert stove and local dealer advised this was one of the best available also most expensive ??, if any one has one of these models fitted I would be grateful for their views on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulinehalpin

Hi, I have a horseflame stove does anyone know excately how to keep the glass clean?

Hello All,

Only discovered Boards recently and find it brilliant as a source of valuable advice, especially as it is specific to Ireland.....Keep it up!!

My question(s):
    We have an old cottage which over the years has been restored and extended onto. In the old sitting room there's a largeish fireplace which we hope to put a solid fuel stove into. We really need it to heat the water and link into our existing oil fired rads.

I believe there was a new flue put into this fireplace about ten years back, but am not certain. Should it be obvious from shining a torch up the chimney?

Which stove would people recommend for the job? I tried a local fire centre here in Sligo and they dismissed all cast iron stoves as short-lived. The guy informed me that all the Stanley stuff is Chinese and you'd be lucky to get five years out of one. He recommends getting a steel model by and English company called Charnwood.

I've asked around and people seem to agree. Does anyone out there have one, and how do they rate them?

Michael,.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

The glass on the stove can be cleaned by using the ashes in the grate the next morning.

Basically, you wet some kitchen roll and dab it in the ashes. Then wipe the ashes over the glass and clean with some new kitchen roll. Works fantastically well, promise!

(it's the top tip in the 2012 Moores Almanack)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

have a stanley here, absolutely brillant :D
    heating the whole house :pac:

Hello All,

My question(s):

Michael,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 rehab1000

Hello All,

My question(s):

Michael,.[/Quote

Hi Michael.
    I am also in Sligo. We dealt with cosey stoves at Duncan island. We have our essie insert stove about two r three years. We love it. Half a bucket of coal will do it for the night, but note there is no back boiler in in. There is a moudle that has the back boiler called green switch. One of the neighbours got one. They like it but obviousely it takes more fuel to heat water abs rads.

These guys done a great job at fitting. They should be able tell u if the chimney is ok.

U will need a good plumber, John Hession from Sligo town is very good, he is hard to get as he is always busy.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Maggie Benson

I tried and tested various methods to clean stove glass with little success and a lot of hard work. Finally I found a product which is brilliant for the task called HG stove glass cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 malcolmh

yep - ash from the fire is the best for cleaning the glass - removes it instanly

we fitted a Olyberyl Aiden last week - really please with it - we now have a warm house it can more than handle the 14 radiators we have - doing a better job than the oil and cheaper as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Using smokeless coal keeps the glass clean.

I don't burn coal, just wood, briquettes and turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ruby Tuesday1

Does anyone have similiar comparisons between Inset stoves purely for heating a room e.g Stanley Cara (approx Eur1200) vs Dimplex Westcott (approx 550) or any other makes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Does anyone have similiar comparisons between Inset stoves purely for heating a room e.g Stanley Cara (approx Eur1200) vs Dimplex Westcott (approx 550) or any other makes?

I know alot say that there is no heat loss from an inset stove but it is hard to believe that the same level of heat is returned from an inset in regards to a standalone stove. Now you can argue that you heat the wall and this in turns returns heat to the room but i would think the same level of heat is not returned to the room. This is just my opinion on the basics that there is more of the stove exposed so in turn returns more heat.

I have a stanley and a morso in. I have the morso 1448 only in a few days or so but I was very surprise how fast it heats up in comparsion to the stanley.

Take a look at this link URL

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Hi,

Planning to put a multi-fuel boiler stove into a big renovation project. I have a couple of queries you guys might be able to help me with:

Firstly, the living room will be upstairs, is there an problem locating a stove there, bar getting it up there?

Secondly, hoping it will feed in with solar and oil boiler to run UFH downstairs apart from 4 beds, will have 8 aluminium rads and 2 heated towels rails. Any suggestions welcome - architect is tendering for a Charnwood slx45.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Removed a backboiler/open fire this summer (had very little use in 25yrs) and replaced with a stove. I must have considered every stove ever made.... eventually settled on a Boru 22kw boiler stove..... Have been using for only the past few weeks and must say, so far
    it's been great. Have only been burning wood in it and it is keeping the bungalow (1400 sq ft. 11 rads, incl 5 lrg doubles) like toast. haven't been burning big fires really... about 4 pieces of wood together....may need the back-up of the OFCH when it gets colder....
    Doesn't answer your question but just a bit of info....

Hi, I have a horseflame stove does anyone know excately how to keep the glass clean?
    Pauline
    I have tried and tested a lot of products for cleaning stove glass including ashes method but the one that I found to be excellent is HG stove glass cleaner available at some hardware stores or online if you have no success there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Re: cleaning the glass on stove - I use that Doktor Power stuff in the yellow plastic container and finish it off with a piece of damp kitchen roll. You can get it in Heatons and some of the big DIY places. It's not the cheapest, but lasts for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

When I got my Clearview, the sellers told me that I could clean the big glass window by using wood ash.
    Not, they emphasised, coal ash, which will scratch the glass. I'm not even sure about turf ash.
    What I mostly do is just wet a wad of kitchen paper - not too wet and cold, just a bit - and give it a wipe down when it's hot, carefully wearing big thick suede fireproof gloves supplied with the stove.
    Thanks to those asking questions about inset stoves and heat, and using a stove upstairs to run boilers downstairs - would be great to have information about this. Also, how much disruption would this cause if you were to add it to an existing build?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Willie Culkeen

I have an open fire and wish to install a multi-fuel stove.
    I want to run my heating from it in conjunction with my oil range, the house is two story with 12 radiators.
    What type of stove do you recommend and are they available in the Mayo Galway region? What is the average cost of these stoves?
    Thanks. Willie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement