Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭snowcat

Nope, ****e like that is happening in Ireland as well.

My cousin is a radiographer in one of the biggest hospitals in Dublin, they've seen people come in post-covid who were perfectly healthy, in peak physical fitness before falling ill, with holes in their hearts after covid. They've seen people who used to run 5k on their lunch break, barely able to function for several weeks without help.

Keep your head in the sand if you feel like it, the rest of us will take this seriously to protect you and your family.

Oh this friend of a friend and cousins who are on the frontline thing is tiring. A hole in the heart after Covid. Must be the first cases in the world.Or maybe they had a hole in the heart that was found after they were treated for Covid.

I live in Oman. I'm going by the official Covid app. It's called Tarrasud. Feel free to Google it. And btw, I deal with doctors on a weekly basis, I'm principal of a large private school, doctor's children make up a sizable portion of our student body and they all say the same thing, they are being hammered at the moment.

Im not doubting you but state your country so as not to imply this is happening in Ireland. Which it is not. Also it is obvious that Oman from your stats has not fared badly if it had a poor lockdown and social distancing is not being respected or enforced as you state. It is proof if anything that lockdowns dont really have any long term effect. They have actually done way better than Ireland with less than 8 daily long term deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

snowcat wrote: »
    Oh this friend of a friend and cousins who are on the frontline thing is tiring. A hole in the heart after Covid. Must be the first cases in the world.Or maybe they had a hole in the heart that was found after they were treated for Covid.

Maybe you're right. Maybe. But maybe, just maybe, these things are actually happening. I've a genuine suspicion I had it last March and I'm fine. Two of my staff got it over the summer hols, one equated it to a bad cold but was grand, the other is just back on her feet and is a walking skeleton, eyes are popping out of her sockets thin (not literally before you accuse me of sensationalising) and cheekbones clearly visible. The reality is Ireland has done a good job keeping it under control, come somewhere that hasn't and the stories aren't so rosy.

BTW I'm no fan of lockdowns, my family on both sides are self employed and lockdown has been beyond cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

It is proof if anything that lockdowns dont really have any long term effect.

Somebody call WHO, snowcat knows more than fully qualified staticians, viral disease experts and doctors.

So what you're saying is Italy must have been a fluke, Irelands curve flattening for several months (before Dublin took the p***) also coincidence. New Zealands near eradication must have been fake news?

Im not doubting you but state your country so as not to imply this is happening in Ireland. Which it is not. Also it is obvious that Oman from your stats has not fared badly if it had a poor lockdown and social distancing is not being respected or enforced as you state. It is proof if anything that lockdowns dont really have any long term effect. They have actually done way better than Ireland with less than 8 daily long term deaths.

Fair enough on not stating my location, but I'm fairly well known in the Limerick forums by regulars and many posters would know I'm not in Limerick at the moment. I'm locked in even if I wanted to get back, closed border.

• Advertisement

Somebody call WHO, snowcat knows more than fully qualified staticians, viral disease experts and doctors.

So what you're saying is Italy must have been a fluke, Irelands curve flattening for several months (before Dublin took the p***) also coincidence. New Zealands near eradication must have been fake news?

I did not say that. Lockdowns obviously work. I said they have no long term effect. You are just kicking the can down the road. As we are now finding out. Sweden are in a way better position than us. New Zealand are just on tenderhooks waiting for it to take off.

I did not say that. Lockdowns obviously work. I said they have no long term effect. You are just kicking the can down the road. As we are now finding out. Sweden are in a way better position than us. New Zealand are just on tenderhooks waiting for it to take off.

Part of me agrees with you. Unless the whole world simultaneously locks down for 3 weeks in isolated rooms and the entire world populace did it together, lock downs are futile. Humans are conditioned to break rules, myself included. But hearing the reality of what is happening the severe cases, however uncommon in the grand schemes of things is bloody scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sweden are still averaging about 200 cases/day
    New Zealand are averaging less than 5.

I know which one of those countries I'd prefer to be in if I was worried about catching Covid.

Sweden are still averaging about 200 cases/day
    New Zealand are averaging less than 5.

I know which one of those countries I'd prefer to be in if I was worried about catching Covid.

We had 5 cases a day not so long ago. Yes you can maintain that if you close your borders or are an island. It is not practical for most countries to go the zero covid route. New Zealand are going to have a massive Covid outbreak at some stage if they want to resume trade with the rest of the world.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: note the thread title. Keep it to that. No more ranting pls as this is getting a bit boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Sweden are in a way better position than us. New Zealand are just on tenderhooks waiting for it to take off.

Sweden are not in a better position than us. They are however a country with a much better healthcare system. If we attempted what they are doing it would have lead to thousands of avoidable deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thanks James Bond Junior and Chewberecca for pointing out the issues that you have been made aware of.

We need people to see and read this and to take notice more importantly.

So many people have the attitude that ah sure if I get it I will be grand and really don't get the bigger picture it's not about you, it's about the elderly, the immuno compromised, the disabled, cardiac patients and making sure the hospitals don't get overrun.

It's not a flu it's a viral pnuemonia.

Again today I saw people in shops not wearing masks, we all have a moral responsibility to protect the people who can't protect themselves.

Saw a great image posted by someone in the NHS asking people to Shut the f... up, mask the f... up and grow the f... up.

Sometimes I wonder what has gone wrong with society just suck it up for a few months or so till we get a vaccine and then you can go back to being a selfish mefeiner.

We have cases numbers in parts of Limerick now that are higher than countries on the travel red list take that in but most people don't know or care.

100% confident I will be told I am alarmist and so on but I am not cases are increasing everywhere and tomorrow we open the pubs and next week the universities.

We had 62 people on trollies in UHL yesterday or Friday that crisis won't be solved anytime soon so wear a mask, was your hands and keep your 2m. If any hospital has the potential to be overrun it's the one that has record trolley numbers many times a week.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Please stop the bickering guys. This thread is about Covid 19 in Limerick. Not Dublin, and not Oman.

Some shocking scenes at the hurling match over the weekend, match officials should have delayed the game until people abided by social distancing.

Whats worse is the gaelic grounds is already in one of the highest impacted areas in the city as it is. And its not as if there wasn't space for groups to sit 2m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some shocking scenes at the hurling match over the weekend, match officials should have delayed the game until people abided by social distancing.

Whats worse is the gaelic grounds is already in one of the highest impacted areas in the city as it is. And its not as if there wasn't space for groups to sit 2m apart.

I didn't pay much attention to the crowd but the people I did see sitting together looked like they might be family and I would imagine half the people there would be close contacts match or no match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Pubs back open today. We are all doomed.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I didn't pay much attention to the crowd but the people I did see sitting together looked like they might be family and I would imagine half the people there would be close contacts match or no match

Most of the scenes of groups of spectators on the TV looked unlikely to all be families, unless every aunt, uncle, and cousin was out for the day. One shot had at about twenty people in view with only two spare seats in the group.

Its just frustrating to see as many sports aren't allowing any spectators and there are organisations/clubs suffering massively because of it, not to mention the psychological impact on players not having supporters. It wouldn't have taken much effort from the match officials to delay starting the half until people moved away from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Pubs back open today. We are all doomed.

Pubs in Italy, where I am currently, are open since May, their social distancing is 1m, masks are legally mandatory indoors with no Traveller or medical exemptions. Their incidence rate is half of ours, are you sure the pubs are the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Total nonsense. Basing your opinion on what.?
    Probably most of those groups traveled to the game together and are from the same family. There was only 200 people there FFS, 'SHOCKING SCENES' my h##e.
    Did you see the Toulouse/Ulster game on TV yesterday played in Toulouse.?
    Huge crowd at it.
    Or the crowd in Paris for the Tour De France.?
    People really need to get a grip here...:mad:

washman3 wrote: »
    Probably most of those groups traveled to the game together and are from the same family. There was only 200 people there FFS, 'SHOCKING SCENES' my h##e.
    Huge crowd at it.

In a small place like Doon most of those people huddling round each other will be close contacts with each other as soon as the pubs reopen if they are not contacts already so I wouldn't panic about it either.

Some shocking idiots at the TdF though but there always was even before covid

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Huge crowd at it.

Based on my opinion of a televised match in Limerick where a significant portion of the (very lucky to be honest) spectators were sitting on top of one another.

We already have a number of cases that have started or spread within clubs due to players and staff, we don't need spectators adding to that.

There are plenty of people on this thread who are desperate to get back to Thomond Park, the Gaelic Grounds, soccer games etc. It'll be a lot longer of a wait if people currently at matches continue to act as they did over the weekend or if match officials/stewarts don't do everything they can to keep groups 2m from other groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭phog

Re the match in the Gaelic Grounds - The optics were bad, whatever about who the people were or how they were related. With such a tiny amount of spectators allowed into the stadium then the stewarding and human behaviour should have been better to avoid a cluster like what we saw on TV.

What I find strange though is one of the people on here complaining about a group gathering with poor social distancing couldn't find it themselves to condemn a similar sized group at the street party when we had stricter guidelines about groups meeting up outdoors, is it one rule for them and another for us or maybe they now realise that this virus doesn't move, people do and that we need to be extra careful with how many people we all interact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Pubs in Italy, where I am currently, are open since May, their social distancing is 1m, masks are legally mandatory indoors with no Traveller or medical exemptions. Their incidence rate is half of ours, are you sure the pubs are the problem?

Good point but I think the Italians relationship with alcohol and the Irish relationship is very different.

The Italians like to eat and drink one for two whereas a large proportion of Irish people will keep drinking till it starts flowing out their ears at that point also sense and reason is gone.

No issue with pubs opening we need to get as many business as we can open safely as the economic consequences will be very severe, we just need the patrons to cop on.

Plus masks are legally mandatory in Italy people are still doing what they want here albeit in small but significant numbers.

They just need to bring in an enforceable fine system here that is enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, it's not really comparing like for like to be honest. We Irish like our drinking sessions a lot more than typically those from the Continent who would generally have drinks with a meal rather than just knocking back pints until they get told to leave. You are really putting a lot of faith in people to act responsible and like social distancing, that can go out the window when large amounts of alcohol is consumed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not really comparing like for like to be honest. We Irish like our drinking sessions a lot more than typically those from the Continent who would generally have drinks with a meal rather than just knocking back pints until they get told to leave. You are really putting a lot of faith in people to act responsible and like social distancing, that can go out the window when large amounts of alcohol is consumed.

You're describing Mediterranean Europe there. Northern and Eastern Europeans drink very similarly to us and have had their bars open for months.

We generally come below the Eastern Europeans, the UK, Portugal and Luxembourg and around level with Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands when it comes to the alcohol intake surveys undertaken by Eurostat and the WHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

bazz26 wrote: »

They have bars & pubs in Italy too albeit less than here, it's those I'm comparing, not restaurants so I am definitely comparing apples with apples. I've been in bars in Italy for the past two weeks so I'm going by my observations there, not restaurants. We have restaurants in Ireland too. :rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They have bars & pubs in Italy too albeit less than here, it's those I'm comparing, not restaurants so I am definitely comparing apples with apples. I've been in bars in Italy for the past two weeks so I'm going by my observations there, not restaurants. We have restaurants in Ireland too. :rolleyes::pac:
    Yeah the whole trope of the Irish being the worlds alcoholics and nowhere else has bars where people only go to drink is really annoying and not backed up by statistics or reality.

Yeah the whole trope of the Irish being the worlds alcoholics and nowhere else has bars where people only go to drink is really annoying and not backed up by statistics or reality.

I always thought that till I was taken to Spain by Spanish friends and man they were havin a few on work lunch few more after and then a late night session after a dinner which had beer too. Siesta for the weather my arse they were up all night drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Liz Canavan named Limerick today as one of 7 counties on the edge.....
    The hell is she on about??!!!!
    Our numbers steadily improving for over a week and a half....
    They make it up as they go along

• Advertisement

Liz Canavan named Limerick today as one of 7 counties on the edge.....
    The hell is she on about??!!!!
    Our numbers steadily improving for over a week and a half....
    They make it up as they go along

Probably still on the list from a few weeks ago. Also North Limerick is one of the worst outside Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement