Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Weather Apps

• 01-09-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

What weather apps would you recommend? Would like to get Meroe information than just temperature and rainfall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gael23 wrote: »
    What weather apps would you recommend? Would like to get Meroe information than just temperature and rainfall.
    I find accuweather fairly decent the minutecast is usually pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Hi I was using dark sky is there anything close to it thought twas a great app

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

I find Windy a great app with plenty of info my go to app, I do have 3 just in case one doesn’t tell me what I want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dark sun wrote: »
    I find Windy a great app with plenty of info my go to app, I do have 3 just in case one doesn’t tell me what I want to hear.

Is that just for wind stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Meteologix is quite good if you scroll past the ads. It even has some of the ECM & ICON info further down. Shows rain, wind & temp although the map is a tad pixelated ! It’s free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use Weather Live (iOS) and Windy. I also have YR just as a back up.

The rainfall radar on Weather Live is excellent IMO.

Windy is excellent for precise wind speed/direction forecasts and I use it all the time when planning a cycling route.

I use Weather Live (iOS) and Windy. I also have YR just as a back up.

The rainfall radar on Weather Live is excellent IMO.

Windy is excellent for precise wind speed/direction forecasts and I use it all the time when planning a cycling route.

Is Windy just for Wind stats as in the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ireland Weather

Great for radar and telling me what time rain is due to start or end

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

lab man wrote: »
    Hi I was using dark sky is there anything close to it thought twas a great app

There's nothing that really compares. No other app gives the precipitation warning notifications.

Arcus, which is still using the Dark Sky API, is still giving the 15 minute rainfall warning but the notifications have stopped.

Shadow Weather is supposed to be introducing rain notifications but no sign yet.

Accu weather Beta has a silly circular next hour precipitation chart but it's not as accurate as Arcus & doesn't give notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Windy can’t be beat for the data especially if you do watersports, but for a quick look at the forecast I use yr and Met Éireann apps.

• Advertisement

Getting the hang of Accuweather and it’s actually pretty good. Gives you wind and cloud information as well

Getting the hang of Accuweather and it’s actually pretty good. Gives you wind and cloud information as well

I can't understand why they have the Beta hourly rainfall graph but no notifications.

Does appear a bit odd. I’ve downloaded windy but it takes a bit of learning to navigate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For me, they are all rubbish.

I use Netweather snow radar, as it shows up current rainfall and loads quickly. Then you can play the animation and make a call on whether to go outside or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Good weather apps will be found out eventually, it has to get bad sometimes

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Windy for me, widget is brilliant.

LEIN wrote: »
    Windy for me, widget is brilliant.

There are so many different screens I just find it a bit confusing to navigate

There are so many different screens I just find it a bit confusing to navigate

It takes a bit of getting used to but when you figure it, you won't turn back.

It takes a bit of getting used to but when you figure it, you won't turn back.

But what makes it different or better than the hundreds of other apps. What's its usp?

Discodog wrote: »
    But what makes it different or better than the hundreds of other apps. What's its usp?

I'm unsure as I don't use the other apps.
    All I know is that it is a one-stop-shop for a weather nerd, like myself.
    It uses all of the weather models that the guys use here, has live thunder & lightning, is fairly accurate and the rain radar is pretty cool also.
    It's free, give it a bash for a few days.

• Advertisement

I'm unsure as I don't use the other apps.
    All I know is that it is a one-stop-shop for a weather nerd, like myself.
    It uses all of the weather models that the guys use here, has live thunder & lightning, is fairly accurate and the rain radar is pretty cool also.
    It's free, give it a bash for a few days.

I did try it & I can't see anything that it does better than the ME app. You have to pay for detailed one hour forecasts that are free on other apps.

Advertisement