Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf shoes??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

I was advised there was a one year warranty at purchase for my sketchers, not 2.

My wife and I both both bought similar shoes around the same time. I take as good care of my own as I think possible, dry them and store them inside but nothing more. My wife likes to keep hers in the car (not my favorite option but I keep my cart in the boot so who am I to complain), and hers have cracked after a year while mine seem perfect.

This doesn't prove anything of course, but proper care sure doesn't seem to hurt.

Mine were always dried and kept indoor. I won another pair last year too, so starting to wear them now. Will see how they get on before passing final judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote:
    They have been around since '96 and making shoes since '06 and are a multi-billion dollar company with several top level, high profile sports stars wearing their footwear (Spieth, Curry, etc) ....I don't think they are on a par with the Dunnes Sizzlers tbf.

More like they have been sticking their label (and Jordan Speith's name) on someone elses shoes since '96.

I like their Coldgear but I'll get my shoes from a shoemaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Interesting comments.
    So, the leaking is because of the top coming away from the sole not because of the top degenerating or cracking. So I doubt if dubbin or polish would have prevented this.
    The top is glued to the sole. As regards a regular shoe not having this problem, I doubt a regular shoe would be regularly worn for 4 hours in wet conditions.
    It's not something that bothers me too much. 100 rounds from shoes which cost me about 100 euros is decent value. After that time they probably need replacing for support reasons anyway.
    Well it could be a combination of factors. When the oils leach out of the leather, it will harden and the loss of flexibility will put strain on the connection between the sole and the upper. Usually around the flex point. So treating regularly with dubbin or such will maintain the flexibility. Also if you make sure to apply dubbin regularly in the seam between leather and upper, you'll prevent ingress of water there and stop it attacking the glue and weakening the bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    More like they have been sticking their label (and Jordan Speith's name) on someone elses shoes since '96.

I like their Coldgear but I'll get my shoes from a shoemaker.

what makes it their shoe versus someone else's though?

Approximately 98% of ECCO's shoes are produced in its own shoe factories in Portugal, Slovakia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and China, and some under licence in India

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I would not trust any pair of sketchers to last 2 years, extremely comy shoe but defo not the most hard wearing and capable of any hardship, both in golf shoes and especially ordinary shoes in my opinion.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    Approximately 98% of ECCO's shoes are produced in its own shoe factories in Portugal, Slovakia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and China, and some under licence in India

Do Under Armour have many shoe factories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Picked up 2 pairs of the Nike Lunar Command 2 online from McGuirks today. One comes with Boa which im really intrigued by. Great sale going on so couldnt resist the 2 pairs, they'll keep me going for a while.

Ive had Nike shoes in the past and never had any issues. Got a pair of Adidas Traxions about 14 months ago and the sole has come away on both shoes with the leather cracking and peeling across the top. Now i'll admit that im not one to take care of my golf shoes too well, but the last pair of Nikes i bought i've had for almost 5 years and have held up better :confused:

Here's hoping the change back to the Nike shoes will be for the best :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I think it's hard to generalise. Each brand has different ranges, designers, materials, price points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Picked up 2 pairs of the Nike Lunar Command 2 online from McGuirks today. One comes with Boa which im really intrigued by. Great sale going on so couldnt resist the 2 pairs, they'll keep me going for a while.
    I got those a week ago. I had to bring them back, the fit was incredibly tight. I'm normally a size 8 and the size 8 Nike were too big in length, but too small across the foot. When I tried the 7.5, they were just painful. Immediately. Felt like my foot was in a vice. So just beware, they aren't the same sizing they were some years ago when I had my first pair.

First Up wrote: »
    Do Under Armour have many shoe factories?

Almost all of Under Armour's products are made by third party manufacturers in 18 countries. More than 60% of the company's products are made in China, Jordan, Vietnam, and Malaysia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Nike adidas puma etc, I'd imagine most do.

Only ones I can think of that don't are FJ and Callaway.

GreeBo wrote:
    Almost all of Under Armour's products are made by third party manufacturers in 18 countries. More than 60% of the company's products are made in China, Jordan, Vietnam, and Malaysia.

I know - it was a rhetorical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone seen the new Footjoy Flex shoes in stores yet?

No sign of them in McGuirks in Leopardstown yesterday and none of the local pros seem to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just adding to the conversation - I got a pair of Ecco Hybrid Biom 3's (https://ie.ecco.com/en-IE/Golf/Collections/Biom-Hybrid-3/product/5638589420/ECCO-M-GOLF-BIOM-HYBRID-3), about a month ago.

I've worn them about 10 times and they're hands down the best golf shoes I've ever worn. They're lightweight, extremely comfortable and 100% waterproof as they're Gore-Tex.

As they're spike-less I kind of had it in mind that they'd be summer shoes, but thanks to our lovely summer this year, I've worn them twice in torrential rain/heavy conditions and they performed flawlessly. I didn't feel like I came close to slipping once.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Just adding to the conversation - I got a pair of Ecco Hybrid Biom 3's (https://ie.ecco.com/en-IE/Golf/Collections/Biom-Hybrid-3/product/5638589420/ECCO-M-GOLF-BIOM-HYBRID-3), about a month ago.

I've worn them about 10 times and they're hands down the best golf shoes I've ever worn. They're lightweight, extremely comfortable and 100% waterproof as they're Gore-Tex.

As they're spike-less I kind of had it in mind that they'd be summer shoes, but thanks to our lovely summer this year, I've worn them twice in torrential rain/heavy conditions and they performed flawlessly. I didn't feel like I came close to slipping once.

I have a few pairs of these, they are excellent.
    GoreTex keeps you dry.

Just make sure to look after them, drying, leather cream etc and they will last you a good few years.

Never had an issue with grip either.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the new Footjoy Flex shoes in stores yet?

No sign of them in McGuirks in Leopardstown yesterday and none of the local pros seem to have them.

I ordered them from Footjoy directly on footjoy.ie. I couldn't see them in the shops either, so just went ahead and ordered. Arrived in about 3 working days if I remember correctly - one day to process the order and 2 day delivery. They are very light and comfortable.

BillyBoy wrote: »
    I ordered them from Footjoy directly on footjoy.ie. I couldn't see them in the shops either, so just went ahead and ordered. Arrived in about 3 working days if I remember correctly - one day to process the order and 2 day delivery. They are very light and comfortable.

I've ordered direct from Footjoy before and found them very good.

Great to hear they are light. I've been finding my current shoes are making my feet very sweaty in the warm weather so was looking for something that have decent airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Trying these out https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919453988.html

only 6 more weeks and those babies are mine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Love the bad Photoshop job of Snedeker wearing them!!

Keano wrote: »
    Love the bad Photoshop job of Snedeker wearing them!!

Brilliant :):):):)

I got a pair of these last summer for good weather not expecting much. They are still going strong and no damage or issues. For the price they are great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FQL3X6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

• Advertisement

I actually bought two pairs from McGuirks the other day as I needed a light pair for the summer.

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/adidas-adipower-gents-s-boost-3-shoes-trace-blue/p-f33582tbluegentsss18

And

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/nike-gents-roshe-g-golf-shoes-black/p-aa1837blackgentsss18

The Nike ones a really comfortable. Haven't tried the Adidas yet though.

celtic_oz wrote: »

Arrived today .. circa 4 week delivery .. feel good, though its a good job I ordered a size too large as they just barely fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Did you get caught for customs?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Did you get caught for customs?

nope! :p

celtic_oz wrote: »

Played 9 last night in them .. impressed .. seem to be waterproof also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Got a new pair of Puma Ignites last week. Nice and comfy. The Laceless Disc Fit System is interesting. Hope it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If you are looking for waterproof shoes just ask any of the lads who played Dooks and if any of them came in with dry feet they are definitely the shoes to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Any recommendations for a few pairs of shoes. Looking ones for the really dry and sunny days (not too many about), the ones that more or less look like trainers. And then a pair that I could wear most of the year round. I will probably get a waterproof pair later in the year as well and then just rotate between the 3 of them. They obviously have to be comfy and look decent.

Anyway I had thought of Nike Roshe https://www.nike.com/gb/t/roshe-g-golf-shoe-1T2Ltk/CD6065-001

And Nike Vapor https://www.nike.com/gb/t/react-vapor-2-golf-shoe-5l6KdM

All recommendations and suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a few pairs of shoes. Looking ones for the really dry and sunny days (not too many about), the ones that more or less look like trainers. And then a pair that I could wear most of the year round. I will probably get a waterproof pair later in the year as well and then just rotate between the 3 of them. They obviously have to be comfy and look decent.

Anyway I had thought of Nike Roshe https://www.nike.com/gb/t/roshe-g-golf-shoe-1T2Ltk/CD6065-001

And Nike Vapor https://www.nike.com/gb/t/react-vapor-2-golf-shoe-5l6KdM

All recommendations and suggestions welcome.

I got bought a pair of these off Golfstyle in Galway. Called them last Tuesday morning and had the shoes the following day. €79.99 delivered by courier.

https://www.adidas.com/us/s2g-golf-shoes/EF0691.html

Haven't played with them yet but have been wearing them around the house the last few days and they feel just like a runner. Very comfortable and light.

Golfstyle don't have a website(facebook only I think) but give them a call and they'll send whatever you want out to you.

• Advertisement

Advertisement