Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2019 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Haven't managed to complete too much myself this year, though I have just finished the Modern Warfare campaign so figured I would collate a list. Some of these are Live Service games where I have completed the campaign and played the **** out of the end game, so I'm counting them as a completion:

Resident Evil 2
    Anthem
    The Division 2
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Days Gone
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Remnant from the Ashes
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
    Links Awakening
    Gears 5
    Modern Warfare

P.S. I had a good time with Anthem...Sue me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Got my PS4 about 2 years ago. For the first year or so I was flirting around between games, never really finishing any. Much more productive this year, helped by the sheer quality of games around...

Spider-Man - so much fun swinging about the city, and the story ain't bad either. My first ever plat too.
    Astrobot - best game on PSVR. Takes best bits from platforming classics and then gives them a VR platform to amaze, never smiled so much playing a game.
    Resident Evil 2 - so scary but such a wonderful atmosphere throughout the game. I forgot how good the puzzle elements to this are also.
    Uncharted 2 - big leap forward from the 1st game, really solid action shooter
    Detroit Become Human - very immersive walking sim, some great characters with excellent story that has a hint of Westworld about it
    Days Gone - my favourite game on this generation. Not without an odd technical flaw, but the story and gameplay are incredible fun. Also my 2nd plat!
    AC Odyssey - huge and addictive game. I love all things Greece anyhow so this was great for me. Still have the DLC to go at sometime.
    Control - another game where the atmosphere drags you into the immersiveness. Some cool skills to use, and one really memorable level near the end thanks to a rocking soundtrack.
    Crash Bandicoot 2 - loved the Crash games since the PS1 days so about time I got round to finishing at least part of the trilogy. Annoyingly stuck on a level on the first game, but this was for the most part a real joy.
    COD: Modern Warfare - campaign is fantastic, again some very memorable missions, and nice to see stealth type skills etc used sometimes rather than just traditional FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
    Spyro - PS4
    Red faction - PS4
    Yakuza zero - PS4
    Dmc 5 - PS4
    Resident evil 2 - PS4
    Shadow warrior - PS4
    Red dead redemption 2 - PS4
    Fifa 19 - PS4
    Life is strange - PS4
    Split Second - Xbox 360
    Tomb raider legend - Xbox 360
    Soma - PS4
    Turok - Xbox one
    Spiderman - PS4
    Metro exodus - PS4
    Fifa 19 - Switch
    Ghostbusters remastered - PS4
    Outlast - PS4

Doom 1 - Switch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I finally got around to playing Metro 2033 Redux after I realised it was on PS Now. It's the first 'Metro' game I've played and I enjoyed the mix of FPS and horror. The story isn't great, despite the fact it's based on a novel, but it was enough to keep me engaged. A solid single player FPS, a genre I like a lot. I have no interest in multiplayer FPS! The sequel is also on PS Now so I'll get around to it soon.

Game|Platform
    Assassins Creed Origins|PlayStation 4
    Assassins Creed Odyssey|PlayStation 4
    God of War| PlayStation 4
    Spyro The Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Revenge| PlayStation 4
    Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man| PlayStation 4
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Eventide 3: Legacy of Legends| PlayStation 4
    Grim Legends 3: The Dark City| PlayStation 4
    Spider Man DLC: The City That Never Sleeps| PlayStation 4
    Flower| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Knack| PlayStation 4
    Bastion| PlayStation Vita
    The Lego Movie Videogame| PlayStation Vita
    Virginia| PlayStation 4
    What Remains of Edith Finch| PlayStation 4
    Noir Chronicles: City of Crime| PlayStation 4
    Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham| PlayStation 4
    Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All| PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
    Stranger Things: The Game| Android Mobile
    Legacy 2: The Prisoner| Android Mobile
    Lego City Undercover| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Nightmares From The Deep 2: The Sirens Call| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Sherlock Holmes: The Devils Daughter| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    My Brother Rabbit| PlayStation 4
    Nightmares From The Deep: The Cursed Pirate| PlayStation 4
    Lego Ninjago The Movie Video Game| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Detroit: Become Human| PlayStation 4
    Queens Quest 2: Stories of Forgotten Past| PlayStation 4
    The Town of Light| PlayStation 4
    Gravity Rush 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro 2033 Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Theme Hospital - PC

After 25 years of owning the game, I finally completed it this year. The ending was a little bit anti-climatic if I'm honest, but overall I really enjoyed the experience. A game that has stood the test of time. Now to complete Theme Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Luigi's Mansion 3. Really enjoyed it. Brought a smile to my face frequently

Alice: Madness Returns on PS3.
    Like this game. Took my time exploring. Didn't find everything but did pretty well I think. Only missed about 10 out of about 90 memories. Overall completion 94%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair

Technically I didn't finish it as I didn't beat the last boss as it is boss fight go through an impossible level fight again and go through another impossible level and fight again and I don't know how many times that happens but I tried it once and got 40% through and fought him twice.

I'm claiming I finished it as I have every coin(200 of them you find 5 in each level) and I have every bee saved there are 48 of them and every tonic except one where you beat the impossible level mentioned above before you save any bee as the bees are lives so I had 48 when I tried it. You can go through the boss level as soon as you start the game but you would need to be extremely used to platformer games to do that as it is very difficult.

I'm not finished with it though as I will try that impossible level again and hope I finish it.

Ori and the Blind Forest.
    Decided to finally try out my Gamepass sub. Nice little game. Main tune stuck in my head now. Probably because
    I heard it so much during the escape sequences due to dying a lot during them

Resident Evil 2
    Anthem
    The Division 2
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Days Gone
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Remnant from the Ashes
    Links Awakening
    Gears 5
    Modern Warfare

Death Stranding - Finished this far quicker than I imagined I would as I was enjoying it so much I just couldn't stop playing it. A fantastic experience from start to finish and undoubtedly my GotY.

It would take too long to set out everything I loved about it so I'm not going to even try, but it is definitely a game I think everyone should try. I definitely wouldn't blame anyone for disliking it, it's that type of game, but it just hit all the right notes for me.

• Advertisement

Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Well finished the campaign anyway so will go back and do the tombs I missed and some side stuff.

And after 4 games in about 2 weeks, I think I'll take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭TinCanMan

Shadow of the Colossus remake PS4 - An all time classic.
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves remastered PS4 - Loved this, an improvement over no.1 which was also good but has aged somewhat.
    God of War PS4 - The game of this console generation.
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - A cinematic masterpiece.
    What Remains of Edith Finch - A beautiful and moving game.
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 - Absolutely amazing, a must buy and is often on sale.
    Infamous Second Son - feel like a super hero. Good game but can get repetitive.
    Horizon Zero Dawn - This game is breathtakingly beautiful. Matched by excellent gameplay.
    Detroit: Become Human - damn this game just draws you in and plays with your emotions. Highly recommended.
    Yakuza Kiwami - my first introduction to the series and absolutely loved it. A complete blast. Highly recommended.

Resident Evil 2
    Anthem
    The Division 2
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Days Gone
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Remnant from the Ashes
    Links Awakening
    Gears 5
    Modern Warfare
    Death Stranding

Luigi's Mansion 3 - After the marathon that was Death Stranding this was exactly what I needed. A fantastic 12-14 hour experience that had a smile on my face from start to finish. Probaby made it into my top 3 games of the year along with Death Stranding and Resident Evil 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
    Spyro - PS4
    Red faction - PS4
    Yakuza zero - PS4
    Dmc 5 - PS4
    Resident evil 2 - PS4
    Shadow warrior - PS4
    Red dead redemption 2 - PS4
    Fifa 19 - PS4
    Life is strange - PS4
    Split Second - Xbox 360
    Tomb raider legend - Xbox 360
    Soma - PS4
    Turok - Xbox one
    Spiderman - PS4
    Metro exodus - PS4
    Fifa 19 - Switch
    Ghostbusters remastered - PS4
    Outlast - PS4
    Doom 1 - Switch

Resident evil revelations 2 - PS4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I completed Middle Earth: Shadow of War last night as it is on PS Now until February. I enjoyed it a lot. The first three Acts are great fun but I only completed the first two Shadow Wars stages in Act 4 (end game section) as I was burned out at that stage so didn't bother with the rest of them.

The game does have a few problems though, the monologues when you encounter a Captain are beyond tedious and the fact you can't skip them is a ridiculous decision. I find the Nemesis System isn't as interesting as it's made out to be, especially since each in game Region has it's own hierarchy. It's definitely worth playing up to the Shadow Wars section but the end game is not engaging enough to keep playing.

Game|Platform
    Knack| PlayStation 4
    Virginia| PlayStation 4
    Middle Earth: Shadow of War| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

Resident Evil 2
    Anthem
    The Division 2
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Days Gone
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Remnant from the Ashes
    Links Awakening
    Gears 5
    Modern Warfare
    Death Stranding
    Luigi's Mansion 3

Borderlands 3 - I'm by no means done with the game but I finished my first playthrough last night. It's a more refined version of Borderlands, nothing more, nothing less, which is exactly what I wanted from it. Crazy loot, more build diversity, more varied locations, better gunplay and more fluid movement; it improved the series in all the areas it needed to.

My only gripe would be the narrative and writing pale in comparison to Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack was a phenomenal antagonist and extremely well written as a character. The Calypso twins who serve as the main antagonists here are boring, corny riffs on streamer culture and all the obnoxious BS that comes along with it. Their motivations are weak, and the weakness of the villains is only exacerbated further by a narrative that is so by the numbers it makes me question how many of the writing department who were present at Gearbox for the development of Borderlands 2 remain.

As bad as the story was at times, it wasn't enough to sour the overall experience and the gameplay is that good that it overshadows flaws elsewhere. Now to get stuck into the endgame and work on a build that will get me through the new Takedown activity (raid like activity).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It takes a long time for all the side activities to pop up after you've just completed one and Peter stops commenting mid sentence the moment he moves away from the mission area. Can get annoying when the game fails to operate multiple tasks in an open world game.

That happened me with the first Watchdogs. I was going around waiting for new side missions to pop up. I had finished the main story and everything.

I've had Tomb Raider on my PS4 for a while now and I finally got to play it over the last week. I really enjoyed it, good story, action gameplay etc. and I actually enjoyed the collectible mechanics in this one even though I usually hate collectibles. It reminded me of the Uncharted series in many ways. I'm looking forward to playing the sequels now.

Game|Platform
    Knack| PlayStation 4
    Virginia| PlayStation 4
    Middle Earth: Shadow of War| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition| PlayStation 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Game: Death Stranding
    Platform: PlayStation 4

I can't even begin to describe what this game is to people who haven't played it.
    The outsiders and dabblers call it a "postman simulator".

Sure, most, if not all of the game's biggest gameplay loop is delivering packages to places. It sounds dull, bland and boring when you put it like that. But it's no different to saying GTA is nothing more than a criminal simulator, and it's biggest gameplay loops is stealing cars and shooting civilians, or that FIFA is nothing more than trying to kick a ball into a net, so on and so forth. Scratch the surface and you're only going to get the experience you think it is on that level.

But after playing 90 hours worth, I can say it goes well beyond that. It is one of the most creative video game experiences I've ever had, told in one of the most unique stories in one of the most unique worlds ever crafted by a developer.

I would not have trusted this game to any other creator except Hideo Kojima. Only he could be this mental.

It also resonated with me on a personal level.

I won't go into too much detail but I lost my dad during the Summer, and I've been using video games to help with the grief. And plenty have helped.....

But Death Stranding was the game I needed. The tone, mood and general ambience of that game has made me feel more things no other game did this year. Again, I can't really describe it, but it helped. And I'm grateful for it.

And now, as I write this, I just Tweeted about it, and Hideo Kojima retweeted me, so now my phone is blowing up :pac:

Death Stranding was a game that's really not for everyone, but it was definitely for me. And I loved it.

2019 Games Beaten So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    SPYRO THE DRAGON|PLAYSTATION 4
    OUTRUN (SEGA AGES)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    DETROIT: BECOME HUMAN|PLAYSTATION 4
    RESIDENT EVIL 2|PLAYSTATION 4
    SUPER MARIO BROS.|NES
    FIFA 17|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 18|PLAYSTATION 4
    CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON'S QUEST (REDACTED)|NES
    CASTLEVANIA III: DRACULA'S CURSE|NES
    FLASHBACK: 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION|PLAYSTATION 4
    FIFA 19|PLAYSTATION 4
    STREETS OF RAGE 2 (SEGA MD CLASSICS)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    MORTAL KOMBAT 11|PLAYSTATION 4
    THE MESSENGER|NINTENDO SWITCH
    ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST|XBOX ONE
    SHAKEDOWN: HAWAII|NINTENDO SWITCH
    CELESTE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    SPEC OPS: THE LINE|PC
    TETRIS EFFECT|PLAYSTATION 4
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES|PLAYSTATION 2
    GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES|PLAYSTATION 2
    INSIDE|PLAYSTATION 4
    LIMBO|NINTENDO SWITCH
    A WAY OUT|PLAYSTATION 4
    METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY|PLAYSTATION 3
    GUNSTAR HEROES (SEGA MD CLASSICS)|NINTENDO SWITCH
    METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER|PLAYSTATION 3
    METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS|PLAYSTATION 3
    METAL GEAR SOLID|PLAYSTATION
    METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKES|NINTENDO GAMECUBE
    DOOM (93)|PLAYSTATION 4
    GOLDEN AXE|SEGA MEGA DRIVE
    STREETS OF RAGE 2|SEGA MEGA DRIVE
    GEARS OF WAR 4|PC
    FORBIDDEN SIREN 2|PLAYSTATION 2
    THE OUTER WORLDS|PLAYSTATION 4
    DEATH STRANDING|PLAYSTATION 4

Resident Evil 2
    Anthem
    The Division 2
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Days Gone
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Remnant from the Ashes
    Links Awakening
    Gears 5
    Modern Warfare
    Death Stranding
    Luigi's Mansion 3
    Borderlands 3

Pokémon Sword - Bought it on a whim as I haven't played a mainline Pokémon game in years, and after 27 hours of pure unadulterated boredom, it will be many, MANY years before I play another one.

If ever there was a series absolutely crying out for an overhaul it is this one. The fact that the series still plays exactly the same as it did when Pokémon Red and Blue released, with little to no innovation says it all really. Hardcore Pokémon fans use the old "if it isn't broke don't fix it excuse", and fair enough, the game sells like absolute hot cakes. But people willing to lap up the same **** with each and every release, shouldn't come at the expense of innovation and creativity.

The heavily promoted wild area and raid battles at first glanced made the pre-release promotion give off this false sense of hope; the series finally looked to be on the right track, opening up the world to promote freedom and exploration, with the stagnant battle system getting a shot in the arm with the Dynamax raids. Well scratch all that. Gamefreak's attempt at injecting a bit of freedom into Pokémon consists of one small field, dotted with trees and Pokémon that serves as a connection between the opening section of the map and the next town you are meant to visit. Nothing to explore, no sidequests, dungeons, secrets. Nothing. Just a big empty field that honestly makes Hyrule Field from Ocarina of time look like it is positively full to the brim with content. For the rest of the map, you are just subjected to the same bog standard linear progression between routes and hub towns that has always plagued the series. If anything this game is actually more linear than those that came before as it all but scraps the dungeons you would encounter along the routes in the earlier games in the series. Here, all you get are straight paths, the odd trainer battle, and if you are really lucky, a side lane to the main route with an item to pick up at the end.

The Dynamax raid battles flop just as hard. Gamefreak's attempt at innovating with their battle system is to let you fight the exact same battles you have already been fighting, this time with bigger Pokémon...bra-****ing-vo.

I'm not saying they need to completely overhaul the entire game. The core concept of catch, battle, trade is fine, as is the idea of progressing through gyms to take on whatever ultimate challenge lies at the end. But good god does the game around that need some work. Open it up Breath of the Wild style, give us a meaningful world to explore with dungeons to tackle, secrets to uncover, towns to explore and sidequests to take on. Include different biomes that actually impact gameplay. And finally give us a decent story to prop all that up; not just "here is 8 gym leaders, beat them all and become the unbeatable champion" (and yes the game makes some attempt at telling a story in the last two hours, but it is so rushed and ham fisted I'm not even sure why they bothered as 2 hours is not enough time to make someone give a **** about character motivations etc).

Anyway, rant over, now to carry on with Fire Emblem: Three Houses which is like a breath of fresh air after the dumpster fire that was Pokémon Sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finished Warhammer 40'000: Space Marine

Cathartic fun & great sound design, only slightly marred by some strange difficulty spikes due to the lack of a cover system.

Also very short - Normal mode done in 6.5 hours.

Advertisement