Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Compound bow

• 08-10-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,I have really been thinking of getting into Archery with Compound bows recently. I'm based in Dublin,My main problem is im not too sure of any shops where I can buy a Compound bow,Where does everyone buy from? what should I look for? My family has a good bit of land where I could practice but I would also like to join a club sometime too
    Any information would be great,thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think your first step should be to find a local club and do a beginners course. Then they'll be able to help you on your way. It's one of those things that's not as easy as it looks and there's a huge safety element to absorb.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

TBH Digy learn on recurve to start out with work on your stance as this is a key point and from there, learn a style olympic, field or traditional archery.

Then decide after trying out a few bows what you have a feel for. Compound bows are either a love or hate kind of thing, personally im not a fan of the compound bow as im a traditional and instinctive archer.

Any help you know where to find me.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Join a club. Learn how to shoot safely. Compound bows can be lethal if not treated with the greatest of respect earned by experience. Most compound bow injuries are bourne by the archer and not by anything accidentally shot. I shoot traditional, recurve and compound. They all have their idiosyncrasies but compounds have an attitude.

If you don't believe me then just google!

In the meantime:http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/73-general-comments-information/70340-bow-accident-graphic-pix.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Join a club. Learn how to shoot safely. Compound bows can be lethal if not treated with the greatest of respect earned by experience. Most compound bow injuries are bourne by the archer and not by anything accidentally shot. I shoot traditional, recurve and compound. They all have their idiosyncrasies but compounds have an attitude.

If you don't believe me then just google!

In the meantime:http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/73-general-comments-information/70340-bow-accident-graphic-pix.html

Holy crap. May just put me off compound bows seeing that

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

That is why it is vital that you learn how to hold, maintain and shoot one correctly and safely. The same goes for other kinds of bows too even though they are much less aggressive. Essentially they are a ballistic weapon and deserve a great deal of respect.

Get on a beginners course, check out the AI website for your nearest club (or PM your location and I can send you the details). It is the most fun you can have with a couple of sticks and a piece of tight string!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement