Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

iknorr wrote: »
    can u ask him if i say pretty please?
    Haha I'll see what I can find out, I'm guessing the upgrades are the cause because it's what happened when everyone got upgraded to up to 7.6Mb in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

yup thats what im guessing too, but cheers anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Does anyone know where i can get specific infomation on how this zyxel modem is faulty? Ive been complaining to my isp about this modem constantly disconnecting me.

if your with eircom, they already know that its in need of a firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Anyone figured out how to remove the Eircom firmware from this router?

Also I unable to stream videos from my PC to my Xbox using this router. I have opended up the recommended ports and even tried turning off the firewall on the router all to no avail. Anyone got any ideas?

I have gone back to my Netopia router for now but when my line is upgraded to 24MB next week I will be forced to use the Zyxel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

Change the following on the ZyXEL to see if it helps with disconnects:

From the modem default configuration screen http://192.168.1.254 -Select Network-NAT and change the default value of 512 to 2048 for "Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User" - Apply/Save the settings and see how that goes.

To be more precise the problem is that my Xbox won't connect to my PC using this modem. The Xbox takes ages to detect my PC and when it does it won't connect. I sometimes get an error message about a firewall problem but I have opened on all the appropriate ports on the modem and even tried turning off the firewall all to avail. Xbox Live works fine on the modem.

The funny thing is if I connect from my Xbox to my PC using my old Netopia then swap modems everything works fine with the Zyxel. However if I reboot the Xbox it won't connect again. Has anyone any ideas?

yeah, strange things like that happening me also.

i originally thought it was upnp causing the lack of visibility of other devices on the network but its not. Its bugs in the firmware.

gotta wait for the new firmware.....keep nagging eircom

iknorr wrote: »
    yeah, strange things like that happening me also.

i originally thought it was upnp causing the lack of visibility of other devices on the network but its not. Its bugs in the firmware.

gotta wait for the new firmware.....keep nagging eircom

Anyway to remove the Eircom firmware from the modem. It is newer than the version on the Zycel web site and the modem won't let you downgrade firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Ring tech support and ask them to upgrade your firmware to the latest version.
    V3.70(BOE.2)b1_20100119 | 01/19/2010

• Advertisement

i dont think that solves it. it only shows "extra" services/devices but on mine i still cannot connect. It did solve the port forwarding problem but only when i restarted the modem each time per port setting .

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭cork_south

I joined Eircom during the week and got a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3.
    I have set up port forwarding and also dropped the firewall to low, but I keep getting disconnected from XBox live, has anyone seen this?

Model Number: P-660HW-T1 v3 Serial Number: ......
    MAC Address: ...... ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.70(BOE.1)D0 | 11/19/2009 DSL Firmware Version: DMT FwVer: 3.11.11.244_A_TC System Uptime: 1:20:37 Current Date/Time: System Mode: Routing / Bridging CPU Usage: percent_bar.gif 32.14% Memory Usage: percent_bar.gif 22%

My firmware is from November 2009 though?

Firmware Version: V3.70(BOE.1)D0 | 11/19/2009

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

Precisely! That's why I asked if your're sure it's the correct one for that particular router. The ZyXel site appears to show the latest release was August '09?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yeah Im having MAJOR MAJOR probems with this zyxel router too, went to update the firmware today to find that the firmware on the router is newer than whats on the zyxel website.

Constant connection drops, disconnections, having to physiclly reset the router 3,4,5 times a day, ports blocked all over the place, horrendous zyxel GUI that makes port forwarding look like rocket science.

Im gonna cancel my Eircom contract over it its that bad.

peking97 wrote: »
    Precisely! That's why I asked if your're sure it's the correct one for that particular router. The ZyXel site appears to show the latest release was August '09?

Model Number: P-660HW-T1 v3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Had an engineer out to the house today in relation to this thread. Still getting disconnects when the phone is used but I got the support team to lower the speed while he was here, he's calling back to check on it later.

When I was on the phone to support, the second they lowered the speed from "20mb" to "17" I noticed the difference even in call quality, and when the router was restarted the SNR doubled!

I noticed while he was using the old router, that the SNR goes up higher while using the netopia compared to the zyxel. I know particular modems handle it better from my research yesterday. The Netopia can handle the "17meg" also.

But I had no issues port forwarding on the Zyxel, and with the playstation network it defaults to NAT2 - unlike the Netopia. Catch-22.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

I recently joined eircom again, got this zyxel router and i just cant communicate with the router. Wireless is impossible and also with ethernet there is no comunication. It looks like my router froze. I rang them up, they sent out the replacement router, Zyxel again, and the very same thing. It connects to the internet for a few min and then it disconnects and its impossible to connect again. Im going mad here:mad:
    Today i got my mates old netopia for a couple of days and internet seems to work ok now.
    Gona ring them on tuesday and tell them to stick it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hynsey

Hi all,
    I had the line dropping issue, at regular intervals. After loads of searching in google on that ZyXel modem, someone said it can happen if you have WPA configured. When it attempts to reauthorise (at regular defined intervals) it was dropping connection to my laptop.

I would suggest changing to static WEP just to test and see if this resolves the dropping issue - it did for me.

All I have now is an 'alleged' 24 mb, where actually my line is only capable of 9mb, and I never get anywhere near that using the Wireless. the router is ****E, need to try a linksys with it. Plus my internet's been down 2 days now at home :( i HATE eircom!!! (but no alternatives where I live)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Had an engineer out to the house today in relation to this thread. Still getting disconnects when the phone is used but I got the support team to lower the speed while he was here, he's calling back to check on it later.

When I was on the phone to support, the second they lowered the speed from "20mb" to "17" I noticed the difference even in call quality, and when the router was restarted the SNR doubled!

I noticed while he was using the old router, that the SNR goes up higher while using the netopia compared to the zyxel. I know particular modems handle it better from my research yesterday. The Netopia can handle the "17meg" also.

But I had no issues port forwarding on the Zyxel, and with the playstation network it defaults to NAT2 - unlike the Netopia. Catch-22.

Here's a link that might make the netopia work with the playstation, it involves giving the playstation an internal static ip and then opening some ports, don't have a playstation myself so can't say if it works.

http://www.wiffy.ie/forums/gaming-pc-xbox-360-ps3/5288-ps3-perfect-online-guide-netopia-eircom-router.html

The netopia itself is a much better modem/router than the eircom supplied zyxel, on tests I did, the zyxel couldn't sync anywhere near the netopia speed, the zyxel was also really unstable. The netopia 2247 can handle full 24Mb broadband with no problems as long as your line can do that speed. Eircom got those Zyxel's really cheap, but they are an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

well i have Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2 from digiweb, im currently with smart telecom. I have the same problem with mine. disconnects every 50 mins or so, doesnt matter if i use internet, playstation, xbox, or downloading it will always disconnect every 50 min or so. also cant upgrade f/w cause blocked from doing so. only reason y i keep it is because the modem gives me 3.6mbs and all the rest give me 2.6mbs, 2.7mbs. im 3.6km away from exchange and snr is only 6db down and 6.5 up, also Line Attenuation is 63 down and 37 up. i no terrible. but hope someone figures out how to stop disconnects cause u would b helpin out alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 electromech

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think I might bite the bullet and switch back to the Netopia. It seems to be only web traffic that's affected as both Xbox Live and uTorrent continue to operate fine whenever I'm experiencing the web issues. However, I suppose it's worth mentioning that if uTorrent is trying to update a tracker when the connection is throwing a wobbly, it times out but continues to download. Must just be a problem with the http:// service.

how in gods name did you get xbox live to work with this router???????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnny2good

P-660HW-T1 v3

can anyone help me im trying to set up ports for an xbox

i can set up
    xbox
    Start Port: 88
    Finish Port: 88

but when i go to do
    xbox
    Start Port: 3074
    Finish Port: 3074
    I get this >> ERROR: INTERNAL ERROR

Thats as far as i got gurrr

do i just throw the router out the window and be done with it never had problems before setting up routers ontill they brought out this piece of crap out...

Thanx in advance if you can..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I have all of the same connection dropping issues.

Eircom gave me a new firmware update

V3.70(BOE.2)D0_20100311 | 03/11/2010

Still very uneven performance, with many drops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

FearDark wrote: »
    Yeah Im having MAJOR MAJOR probems with this zyxel router too, went to update the firmware today to find that the firmware on the router is newer than whats on the zyxel website.

Constant connection drops, disconnections, having to physiclly reset the router 3,4,5 times a day, ports blocked all over the place, horrendous zyxel GUI that makes port forwarding look like rocket science.

Im gonna cancel my Eircom contract over it its that bad.

yeah zyxel are horrible routers the interface for changing settings is bare and can only change a few settings on the router is anything would you not ask eircom for a netopia modem they are better than zyxel muck

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

banchang wrote: »
    I have all of the same connection dropping issues.

Eircom gave me a new firmware update

V3.70(BOE.2)D0_20100311 | 03/11/2010

Still very uneven performance, with many drops

Hey, can you send that to me or post it somewhere?

Zyxel router is giving me brain damage in relation to port forwarding / upnp. XBox 260 consistently cannot see served content on my mac. sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It always worked fine with the netopia router. Mind you, I don;t get connection drops at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I've just swapped out a BT Voyager for a new Eircom Zyxel.

My downstream attenuation appeared to have increased, however the Voyager was ADSL1 only I think and switching to ADSL2 apparently raises the attenuation values reported due to sampling increased frequency ranges or something like that. Having said that, the SNR appeared to increase a little even with the higher attenuation reported.

Still the Zyxel is working well so far, so no complaints.

edit: Spoke too soon, started getting disconnects on the Zyxel so have gone back to the Voyager. Reported attenuation has dropped back to what it was and the connection seems more stable than with the Zyx. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just saw this thread - it would probably explain my problems also : linky

One other thing that I think is causing my issues is that my ZyXEL is connected in to a Cisco Catalyst 3500 Switch which then distributes the connection round the house.
    I don't seem to get as many problems when the Cisco is disconnected, so I think the ZyXEL is not able to handle the extra connections / IP Address requests that are coming through the Cisco.

I didn't have any problems with a Davado UMR Router and 3G dongle I used before this on the same setup with the Cisco switch. I only switched to Eircom a few months ago as our exchange was upgraded then.

Reading through this thread, nobody seems to have come up with a solution on how to upgrade (or downgrade) the crappy Eircom firmware - was a solution ever got ? And did it make any difference ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I'm not sure if I'd be bothered trying to change the firmware as for all we know it might just be the hardware performing badly with Eircom's network.

I tried to telnet into the CLI but a lot of the commands seemed locked down, couldn't see line status for example. I was using it in bridging mode so didn't even have the firewall or wireless etc. turned on, just needed the basic DSL connection. The SNR was quite low though, so I presume it wouldn't disconnect so much with more of a margin.

There's some complaints about it in a UK ISP forum here
    Zyxel told me that they had seen some issues with some equipment that BT was using in some exchanges.

There are Voyagers and Netopias on adverts.ie for €15.

Advertisement