Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So in 50 to 100 hundred years time what do you think people will think of Covid19?

• 13-01-2021 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Will people look at it and compare it to WW1 and WW2? Will it be forgotten just a small blip in history?

What do you think history will say about it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

Spanish flu

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont things will ever be exactly as they were so it will be remembered as a major point in history where the world changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

China virus

Matt Damon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

People making ****e bread before realising there's a reason we have bakeries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

They will scratch their heads at the social convention that obliged us to grasp the hand of everyone upon entering a room, including total strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

In 100 years the human race will have have become a cybernetic collective species incapable of independent thought.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They'll probably long for the days of covid 19 while theyre choking on the polluted air and drinking contaminated water and fighting in climate wars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In 100 years the human race will have have become a cybernetic collective species incapable of independent thought.

And we'll ll be living on the Moon and Mars ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

doubt its viewed as a big deal at all

in truth not that many people have died

• Advertisement

People making ****e bread before realising there's a reason we have bakeries.

Since Brennan's went halal friendly it's gone to sh1te.....

It will be remembered as the flu, the one that ended up causing so much more to die from other reasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

In 50/100 years we'll hopefully have a consistent set of tiers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

AMKC wrote: »
    Will it be forgotten just a small blip in history?

^^This

How do people remember the Spanish flu pandemic a century ago? Many people have heard of it, few have studied it in detail, or would particularly care to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

El Tarangu wrote: »
    They will scratch their heads at the social convention that obliged us to grasp the hand of everyone upon entering a room, including total strangers.
    It's very important to shake hands with total strangers.

How else would you confirm they aren't brandishing a small weapon in their dominant hand ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's very important to shake hands with total strangers.

How else would you confirm they aren't brandishing a small weapon in their dominant hand ?

By brandishing a large one in my own? You know kinda setting up the ole, "That's not a knife!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Chyna virus COVID 69.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

They will look back and realise what the fuss was about. By then they will unfortunately maybe have had many more severe pandemics and maybe some endemic evolved continuation of Covid.

Not to mention a HIV like, but different strain of a sexually transmitted disease that will wreck havoc on society.

3 and 4 day weeks and working from home will be normal for many people by 2100 and the Covid pandemic will be seen as the factor that proved that working from home as standard could be feasible for many.

It will also be looked upon as signalling the end of a period of naivity among many of humanity, where for decades they had been divorced from the natural world and the fact that we are animals susceptible to contagious diseases, and that the world isn't just some arena in which the doctrines in economics textbooks can be played out by people oblivious to the limitations and realities of the actual planet we live on and the realities of human health and the human condition. I wouldn't call myself left wing but this whole crisis has proven that laissez-faire libertarian ideology goes out the window when a serious frightening situation like this emerges which requires super-coordinated responses, with everyone playing their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It will most certainly be a very historic event based on the extremely dramatic way in which almost all of the planet reacted in unison, and the protracted nature of highly restrictive limits on daily life in a lot of the world for over a 1year. That's not something we will all just forget!

In terms of health impacts, not as much. Deaths probably will probably not go much over 3 million it looks llike . There have been a couple of pandemics since the Spanish flu that led to proportionally similar death tolls globally, although the spread of deaths from COVID is not very even as there are almost none in massively populated regions like China. So in more affected regions like USA and Europe and Latin America it would be the worst epidemic since Spanish flu more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Think it will be viewed as a turning point, not in terms of how a pandemic is handled, but the rights and freedoms that were removed and the message drilled into our heads "its for your own good".
    A continuation of the nanny state ethos where the lives of the 1% vulnerable population must be protected to the social and economic detriment of the rest of the populace. Rolling and regional lockdowns during the flu season and continuing bombardment of statistics to hammer the message home.
    Driving to work in the pissing rain and the sign above me on the motorway sez "caution standing water" or "low road temperature" when its freezing cold. No **** sherlock. We need the government to do the thinking for us and all risk must be eliminated as we arent capable of weighing it up for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Yeah if anything I think my morning commute should be more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It will be remembered as a catalyst for a new form of protection from viruses. The biggest problem with viruses is that they are not visible to the human eye, if they were then they would not be as successful as they are, so we need someone to make them more visible, like special glasses or something. In 100 years from now people will laugh that we hadn’t got the ability to see viruses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Since Brennan's went halal friendly it's gone to sh1te.....

Lol. Halal bread. Muslims a big fan of Brennans, is it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, same as we view the Spanish 'flu. Most people will have heard of it and will be able to read contemporary accounts, but aside from "major pandemic", they won't know much else about it. Only people with an interest in medtech, epidemiology and immunology will know the impact it had on those fields. For our great-grandchildren it'll be just a blip.

When they have to deal with a pandemic, they too will ignore the lessons of 2020 and think they know better until they figure out they need hygiene and social distancing while they await a vaccine.

Yeah if anything I think my morning commute should be more dangerous.

Hey, dont knock a bit of danger. It brightens up an otherwise dull day!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's a lot different to Bubonic Plague which wiped out 30-50% of Europe's population at the time. It's fairly unimaginable to think of a disease that could half the countries population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'd say historians will get a laugh out of both the conspiracy theories (THEY and THEIR PLAN... :eek:) and the 'OMG the end is nigh, society and human civilisation will never be the same again' posts in digital repositories like boards facebook and twitter etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

El Tarangu wrote: »

I sincerely hope that won't be the case.

• Advertisement

I'd say historians will get a laugh out of both the conspiracy theories (THEY and THEIR PLAN... :eek:) and the 'OMG the end is nigh, society and human civilisation will never be the same again' posts in digital repositories like boards facebook and twitter etc

I really do hope you're right!

Advertisement